HD, 4K, 8K, 12k

Am I the only one thinking there's no point in 4K because there's no significant difference between it and full HD. I have a 4K TV at home and was just watching some movies in it which got me thinking: this ain't that different than full HD... Can't talk about 8K or 12K because I never saw anything in that resolution (other than the real world duh...). I'm hoping 8K and 12K do represent a significant jump in that respect, till then however, I don't see a point in any further upgrading to TV's, consoles etc that support 4K.

Attached: res.png (1200x675, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20181201_15/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Its never going to be the jump from SD to 1080p , just like blurays were never going to be the jump from VHS to DVD.

All new TV's now come in 4K , so everyone will end up with 4k sooner or later.

>there's no significant difference between it and full HD
said no one ever.
You have never seen a really good 4k video, have you now?

Attached: Blind-As-A-Bat-78565.jpg (1000x1125, 116K)

we need to progress to 576 megapixels, the "resolution" at which we see

>not watching movies in 8k full dome
what is this? 1910 again?

Attached: A_chart_showing_the_scale_differences_between_HTDV_to_8K_Fulldome_video_resolution_standards.png (8192x8192, 1.58M)

Actors look weird with too much detail.

If you didn't sit 15 feet away from a 40 inch TV you would easily be able to tell the difference.

Are you confident your source was actually 4K? e.g. a UHD Blu-ray?

I just run my gemu at 1080p60fps and will keep doing it until the end of times, 1440p, 4k, they're all too much of a meme or too expensive to get into and still get a consistent framerate.

I agree with you, I use a 50" TV sitting really close to it and I don't see the need for higher resolutions as I'm not interested in the VR meme. The problem is that most "1080p" sources are crushed bitrate garbage

Are you blind?

it's fine.
4k tv will push out 4k content.
even if they're upscale you can downsample the 4k and get 1080p pseudo 4:4:4.

I have a 27" 4K monitor and 4K movies don't look that much better, but it is great for actual computer stuff.

If they upscale from 1080p 4:2:0 to 4K and then you downsample it to 1080p 4:4:4 then you're basically just upscaling to 1080p 4:4:4 with extra steps.

The higher the resolution gets, the less noticeable the jump. If you can already barely notice the difference between 1080p and 4K, then the difference between 4K and 8K will be abysmal.

>but it is great for actual computer stuff
Agree with this, the text is super sharp and doesn't strain your eyesight much.

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20181201_15/

WE ALREADY 8K, FAGGOTS

JAPAN LEADING THE WORLD AGAIN IN TECHNOLO/g/Y

>mfw I'm still watching TV in SD quality

Attached: 1517198798114.png (554x439, 160K)

I’m less concerned about 8k than I am about 120+ Hz displays and content chains.
60 Hz sample-and-hold LCDs are a cancer for motion clarity that make ancient SD CRTs look stellar in comparison.

4k looks fucking excellent, easily better than 1080p

t. eyelet

I just saw my cousin's 70 inch 4K tv. We watched a concert on it. All I noticed was the glitter on the drum kit was more defined. Besides text being slightly sharper, it was fucking disappointing. Keep making my 1080p cheaper, Goy.

4k monitors are great for actual work and non-game/manchild related shit. Anyone who calls them a meme is just poor.

Probably won’t see the value of it now but will see the value when immersive technologies like proper VR/AR are actually worth using. 8K/12K is a stretching technology. Not ready for prime time using current technology but in 10Y time it will be ubiquitous.

Doesn't the human eye literally stop noticing the difference at 12k or something like that?

4k is nothing without HDR.

HDR is a meme for brainlets. Try DCI-P3.

It depends on how much of your vision is taken up by the screen. With VR, these resolution increases actually make sense, because the screen is 2 inches from your face.

No, people need to stop posting that bullshit. Your eyes don't see in a resolution.

Any increase in information able to get into your eyes is going to increase accuracy.

Just stick with full HD everything (TV, PC, phone).
/thread

good luck because they don't even make 1080p TVs anymore. Take a look at Samsung's lineup. 4k starting at 300-400. LG, Vizio the same. Anything you see that's 1080p is probably old and overpriced. You basically have to trade quality for needlessly high resolution you'll never use.

128billion K megainfinityHD

Run Wolfestein 3d in 4k

>they don't even make 1080p TVs anymore
Source on that, other than your ass?

watched Indiana and the temple of doom in HD, it made the movie worse, you could see all the rotoscoping/chromakey details

That's just George Lucas remastering the shit the wrong way.

fuck that guy