Ryzen Motherboards

So a few days ago i posted a thread about what x470 motherboard i should get, i ended up getting the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC B450..Did i do well ?

Attached: 1533008911000_1422988.jpg (2500x2500, 612K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-B350-Plus-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B06X416NJ1/
amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-X470-Pro-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B07C57Q1XH/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It looks sexier than you do

OP BTFO

Attached: tumblr_olgkmojsIs1tydz8to1_400[1].gif (400x400, 155K)

>Ryzen

Attached: 123.jpg (648x800, 92K)

I have the MSI B470 GAMING PRO CARBON
not the AC one because I don't need wifi.
It's a good mobo everything works fine.

Attached: Speccy.png (1449x1074, 668K)

>tumblr.gif
you have to go back

i know :(

Can someone recommend me a cheap motherboard to use with the Ryzen 1600?

Good enough

i ordered the same on cause i heard it has good audio output compared to other boards

>i ended up getting the MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC B450..Did i do well ?
You should already know the answer then

>Did i do well ?
Yes.

>All that storage

Supremely jealous

That's not how you Sataniapost, Intel shill.

Attached: 1526197223721.png (540x540, 264K)

im posting from this same mobo right now

Looks pretty good. I would have liked, personally, a few more USB ports, but that's just me.

I got it after that one tripfag on pcbg was the only one to give me recommendations in august.
It's actually pretty good, I'm just a bit angry that you can't turn off the LEDs through BIOS (only through windows software and when windows starts)
I also fucked up the USB3 header when pulling out the cable to reposition it, probably my fault, but I've never had that happen before on a board

how many watts does it idle at?

Yeah.

>64GB RAM
I hope it's ECC RAM

what's the difference between a cheap ryzen motherboard and an expensive one?

Like, what makes this worse than this?

Cheap
amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-B350-Plus-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B06X416NJ1/

Expensive
amazon.com/ASUS-Prime-X470-Pro-Ryzen-Motherboard/dp/B07C57Q1XH/

Very well.
Come back here to post your impressions.

research it you lazy fuck

B450 is fine. You can pair it up with a 2700 despite what people say. What matters more is the VRMs.

VRMs, BIOS settings, support, e.g most B350 boards can't take a 2700X without overheating to death, and even some X470s

mainly vrms.

that board is top 5 b450/x470 boards. you did very well.

Another user's post is right.

First one (cheap) is on the lower end B*50 chipset from the 1st Gen Ryzen (so this is B350 designation) and generally intended for R5 CPUs or lower.

Second one (Expensive) is on the high end X*70 chipset from the 2nd Gen Ryzen (so this is X470 designation) and generally intended for R7 CPUs (or all AM4 CPUs).

What both boards have in common is that they are from Asus's Prime sub category (manufacturer's own branding, not AMDs) so they are not Asus's best offering and are generally intended to run the their supported CPUs at stock settings (with some potential for a mild overclock).
Overall they are the middle or normal motherboard to have from Asus.

If you want to overclock your CPU (as far as you can go with AMD) and maintain stability you would like have to use a ROG motherboard if you still want to keep to Asus (Prime has less VRMs and some other stability features for overclocking than the ROG board).

The Strix brand tends to be a Ebony re-skin of the Prime (Ivory) so no differences between the two in terms of circuitry and ports.
TUF is just Asus's lowest budget tier board so it isn't work considering (a lot less VRMs among other criticisms, etc).

Expensive option is better due to being of both the current gen and the superior chipset (with more VRMs, etc).

Seems i did ok then, I got a 2700x and a g skill trident z 16 gb 3200 kit

No, you dun goofed.

What a crock of shit.

But my x370-f has better vrm than the x370 pro

Compare both Strix-F and Prime-PRO motherboards and you will see what I am getting at (almost same component layout besides colour scheme and heatsink design on the chipset between the two).

That said it is likely the Strix is better (could be better quality VRMs but it isn't very clear if you do the physical comparison).

bullzoid loves msi for x4X0 series. he really likes the carbon 450 himself. only complaint he has is lack of offset voltage.

he only recommends the crosshair 470 for liquid nitrogen. hates all asus boards under the crosshair. believe it or not but the carbon has better vrm than the prime.

likes the tachi and recommends it for those wanting to push high water / air overclocking and wants a ~"high end"~ board. ie, for epenis level.

likes the giganyte x470 gaming 7 as an all around solid ~"high end"~ board. strong vrm, actual heatsink, good audio, extra for the price.

but none of which needed for air / water overclocking. the b450 and x470 carbon are solid boards from msi. above are only needed for epeen or feature set.

exception is the crosshair as its the best only for liquid nitrogen. even though it has a worse vrm than the tachi and one can argue the gaming 7 is slightly better as well. but asus has better support for liquid nitrogen.

I have the Asus Prime X470 Pro and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. RAM setup was more complicated than it needed to be and ASUS's software and Ryzen Master had some kind of conflict that caused my system to be unstable until I figured it out. It's alright after resolving those issues I guess. I think other manufacturers can probably do better, though.

I'm not OP, but I just found a buildzoid b350 VRM video with my mobo (b350m bazooka) and according to him, the 4+3 phase VRM should be enough to handle an 8-core maxed out.

So, my question is this - if I'm planning to go for one of those supposed 12c/24t Zen 2 CPUs, would this board be enough (considering the 7nm 12c chips have the same TDP as the current 8c chips)?

At first I thought I'd *need* to get a new mobo for Zen 2 because I had heard all the B350 VRMs were garbage, but now I'm wondering if I should bother getting a new board if Buildzoid himself would trust "regular" OC'ing an 8c on it, not counting LN2 shit.

>e.g most B350 boards can't take a 2700X without overheating to death
What absolute bullshit. The 2700x TDP is only 105W

Who the fuck tells you people these things that you go off and repeat them now knowing a goddamn thing you're talking about?

Yes, the VRM's in the X470's are better than the B350's, for the most part.
No, it doesn't make a fucking difference because even the B350 VRM's are overkill for the energy requirements of the Zen chips.

yeah the vrm design msi did on their 400 series boards, even though are a 4 phase design, they double them along with a good switching frequency so they can easily handle an 8 core.

with ryzen 3000 series it will simply come down to wattage / voltage. if the new 12 cores have a 95 watt tdp then the 4 phase msi should handle it as the 12 core will draw as much as current 8 cores do.

I also want to add, that I agree with bullzoid so much that if my gigabyte x470 gaming 7 dies I will in a blink of an eye buy the b450/x470 carbon myself.

I'm talking about B350, but that's good to know. He said it should handle an 1800x with 1.425v running through it, which is more than I'd even want to do. So assuming the same TDP as current 8c parts I should be fine?

the 300 series is the same as the 400 series in vrm design. 4 phases doubled with good switching frequency.

asus went with a worse vrm design with the 400 series. gigabyte went with a better vrm design with their 400 series. msi kept the same as it was solid but ditched the retarded high price tags like they did with the titanium x370.

Ah, so I'm guessing the main difference with MSI is they got better heatsinks? I was already going to grab another fan for my cooler to go push/pull, so if that's the main difference I don't think I'm worried.

yeah msi didn't slap on retarded heatsinks. take the x470 gaming 5 from gigabyte. good vrm design, slightly higher price than msi, but worse heatsink than msi.

the only complaint he has with msi is lack of offset voltage for cpu. asrock he doesn't trust their bios. gigabyte has some stupid high vrm switching frequency on their lower end boards with a poor heatsink design. asus just overpriced and downgraded over their x370 boards in vrm but with a fluid easy to use bios.

So, MSI has more or less the same VRMs on their B350 boards versus their B450 boards. However, the heatsinks are better on the B450 boards... but if I'm going push/pull and he said he trusts their VRMs on their B350 boards for an 8c as it is, even if TDP is slightly higher on a 12c chip (like, 110w versus the 2700x's 105w), since I'm not going to be targetting 1.425v on an OC everything should be good?

pretty much, yes.

worse case is slapping on a thin 40mm fan on the heatsinks if using a heatsink or an 80mm if AIO.

Awesome, so no matter what I don't *need* to upgrade my mobo, which should save me at least $80 when I upgrade to Zen 2. Cheers, user.

I just bought the B450 Tomahawk and I love it so far, I am running a 2600x with 16gb corsair vengeance 3000 mhz, this was a great upgrade from the 8350 and garbage ddr3 ram I was using.

Yeah, I'm totally disregarding buildzoid's assessments and trust a random fag on 4chins

1. buildzoid never says a B350 can't handle 105W TDP
2. he is a literal, actual, paid shill - just like linus tech tips and hardware canucks - you cannot take ANYTHING he says at face value

>ANUS

I have a lot more HDD not plugged in at the moment.

wanker

>people talking about current AMD chips as if they are still using "high end" Phenom IIs that had more power draw than high end GPUs

Any board will be fine. The rule is still that you pay more for better parts and components on a board but it's hardly 2010 when AMD parts and boards were a complete gamble. It's improved massively since then.

The only major flaw they have today is the driver issues they always had on their GPUs and the odd motherboard bios update depending on the manufacturering date but its hardly the days of "build an AMD pc, spend a month ironing out shitty issues" anymore.

Chinamom has done amazing work sorting out the CPU side of things. The hopes that the GPUs start fucking Nvidia's ass is all that really remains and with the new card being released in January at CES, we will see if they learned their lesson.

You dun DIDN'T goof OP, I have this with 3200 ram and clocked it to 4.2 no problem on the stock cooler.

Well, the X470 Prime has no clockgen

>The Strix brand tends to be a Ebony re-skin of the Prime (Ivory) so no differences between the two in terms of circuitry and ports.

Not sure about the X470, but X370 the Strix uses higher current powerstages than the Prime, although the layout is otherwise identical. There IS an advantage going Strix.

Not to say X470 strix has higher current capability than the Crosshair 6 (360A vs 320A iirc, C7H is 500A as reference)

The powerstages can deliver higher current per stage on the strix.