I bought a printer in the year of our Lord two thousand and eighteen. It prints black and white at 1,200 dpi...

I bought a printer in the year of our Lord two thousand and eighteen. It prints black and white at 1,200 dpi, has a duplexer and Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity. It also has the lowest per page toner cost of all sub-$1,000 printers on market. It cost me about USD 97 including tax and shipping.

What can I expect?

Attached: hl-l5200dw_front.png (800x800, 404K)

Other urls found in this thread:

biz.konicaminolta.com/download/users-guide/c1100_c1085/contents/id10-_101518820.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

disappointment

Why?

Brother machines are great. Reliable and the support is fantastic. I'm still using the HL-2170w that I bought for university back in late 2009, I've printed around 42,000 pages over the life of the machine and all I've ever done is change toner and drum units. My dad has an MFC-7820N from 2006 that's probably done well over 100,000 pages and it's still completely fine. Brother even took the time to write proper Linux and Windows 10 drivers for both machines. The fact that there's current driver software for a printer that's over a decade old (MFC-7820N) is particularly impressive.

The two features I wish I had were automatic duplexing (manual duplex is a pain in the ass sometimes) and a built-in scanner (to save desk space). Other than that I have no reason to buy a new printer and probably won't have a reason to buy a new one for another 10 years.

Attached: brother-hl-2170w.jpg (1024x683, 49K)

I worked back-end and partially relied on one of these. Here’s my take: they work. Sometimes they don’t.

Seems like, yknow, this is the case for almost all printers

expensive ink replacements

1.2 cents per page with original toner, half that with third-party toner.

I got the cheaper version with less features for 40 on sale. sucker

Too bad they started chipping their toner cartridges tho.

This is the case for life, user.

>USD 97
>What can I expect?
you got ripped off

I got this bad boy for under $40

Attached: 1518085167969.png (640x440, 326K)

But Xerox has notoriously expensive toners on their "small business" models, and that model only prints at 600 dpi.

we print less than a hundred pages a year

Brother printers really do deserve their brand name.
Motherfuckers never let you down, I have an HL-3040CN and it has official drivers for everything from ppc OS X to Windows 10, including GNU/Linux. So far I haven't had a single machine I wasn't able to print from (and this includes PowerMacs)
I've been on the sampler toner cartridges for four years now, since you can just fool the printer into thinking it has new toner by pressing a button combination while the lid is open. For some reason they have over 15k pages worth of toner in them, even though they're artificially limited to 1k.
It uses standard laptop SDRAM, which is upgradeable, so I threw a 512MiB stick I had laying around in it and now it prints 200+ page PDF files at full printing speed, it doesn't have to stop every few pages to rasterize them.

I have the same but with a scanner on top
btw the cheap chinese toner that cost 3rd of the price on amazoom
they work just fine !!

Do third party cheapo toner carts not work then?
I just bought one to try, haven't tried it yet, waiting this official one to run out.
Cost about £11 rather than the £33 official ones cost.

I bought a very simple mono laser Brother (with no duplex printing) 3-4 years ago. HL-1212W. Been very comfy so far, hardly any problems. By far the least problematic printer I've ever had. Based Brother. Based Japan.

Japanese products are like this. Highly engineered quality products that last decades. I remember buying an old brother phone decade or so ago.

I had a Brother inkjet five years ago, and it had terrible print quality. I'd print black and white text documents, and all the letters would have jagged edges. I decided to use third party ink since print quality is dogshit even with genuine ink, and the printer died in about six months because the ink pipe going from the cartridge to the print heads got clogged and the ink spilled inside the printer (that part isn't Brother's fault, but printer manufacturers have been deliberately making it hard for third parties to make ink that don't fuck up the printer, and one way they're doing this is making the ink supply lines longer and making it necessary to add proprietary anti-caking agents to the inks, which is very hard or impossible to do right if you don't know the exact substances and ratio of the mix).

>Be me
>Be Copier Tech for local dealership
>Literally never worry about printing needs again for life

BTW, most dealerships just roll their old machines out to the curb for scrappers when they're too old to care about fixing anymore. I've made a small fortune selling 14-15 year old copiers that still worked just fine to friends with small businesses for $100-200, and just flat out told them "Whenever it starts to have issues, and needs parts, just put it out to pasture" because nobody is going to spend $260 on a new drum to fix a charging issue, on something they already just got 150,000 prints out of. That's dumb. They usually just come to me, and I find them another machine in the warehouse we're about to chuck, and tell them to show up with 2 Benjamins and a truck.

Attached: TASKalfa_5501i_HO_Digital.jpg (2362x1772, 742K)

>made a small fortune
>$100-200
jesus christ how does it feel to be poor?

If it's a brother you'll be happy

It's a toner printer. A laser printer. Did you read or look at the pic? Fucking retard. Let me clarify: no ink

Can anyone recommend a proper cabinet laser printer with ethernet that I could get used for cheap?

>cabinet
That's going to be very expensive to ship, so you'd have to look locally at office surplus stores or liquidators. If you're not in a good sized city, you're probably shit out of luck.

How does it feel to have shit reading comprehension? That's $100-200 per machine; he's probably made a couple grand just flipping old machines here and there

but how many machines can he flip a day? i make like $150 an hour...

I doubt it's a regular thing, just something that comes up here and there while he makes his normal wage
>i make like $150 an hour...
Congrats, you'd make even more if you flipped copiers....

i have been using A brother printer and scanner for the past 2 years, 0 problems. so far so good.

I'll usually flip a couple a week. So it's not, like, a massive amount of money, but it adds up over the year. And yeah, I just chuck these dudes out the door to friends after hours. Boss knows I resell the machines. He doesn't care. Wholesalers are troublesome to deal with, and we always need warehouse space. They only want specific machines, and only come specific times, and want XX amount of machines to fill their truck. They don't want a couple 13-year old 30ppm machines with 2.1m copies on the frame.
We manage all the state contract machines in our area. The state will get a multi-year lease at next to cost from the manufacturer, and we maintain them, at the end of the lease, if they upgrade, we get the old machines for $0.01. And we can re-rent/re-lease/re-sell those few year old machines to lawyers, hospitals, architects, and a multitude of other businesses, for pure profit. So we're constantly swapping out older machines that some customers keep for forever, with newer machines, and the older ones just end up trashed if I don't resell them.

Congrats user, your money-dick is bigger than mine. Big Titty Russian Wives, 5-bedroom upscale homes, BMWs, loveless marriages, and a depressing, angry, unfulfilling retirement will come your way, but only if you respond to this post with your yearly salary and 401k report.

>only if you respond to this post with your yearly salary and 401k report
kek, just L5 at goog, looks like www.levels.fyi

you stupid nigger...

if its the one in the picture, you can expect the wifi functionality to be extremely spotty to the point of being unusable. otherwise a fine laser printer

being that its nearly 2019 I'm disappointing your printer can't even produce little plastic toys

i have a monochrome brother laser printer and it's great. I basically only print sheet music and documents that need a signature. I've had it for 2 years and I'm still using the toner it came with, no issues.

i am about tu buy a small laser printer. i have my eyes on hp m28a. how is brother compared to hp in terms of build quality, drivers and price? i have had one brother ink printer at it has been shit - linux support barely working and the paper jamming constantly.

How well the GNU/Linux compatibility?

Any recommended laser printer that's very small in size?

Attached: __ikamusume_shinryaku_ikamusume__091782ecda9e57784be592afeac66911.gif (320x180, 1.98M)

You don't really have to ask that anymore, CUPS is maintained by Apple now.

>It uses standard laptop SDRAM, which is upgradeable, so I threw a 512MiB stick I had laying around in it and now it prints 200+ page PDF files at full printing speed, it doesn't have to stop every few pages to rasterize them.
Wait, what?

>CUPS
That nightmare still a thing?

What nightmare? Took me a minute to configure my HP PhotoSmart network printer on OpenBSD

I thought asking here would get me better answers.
In GNU/Linux how do I print a booklet to save paper?
Like using A4 paper to print two A5 paper?
Like this biz.konicaminolta.com/download/users-guide/c1100_c1085/contents/id10-_101518820.html

Attached: __ishikawa_purin_onna_shunin_kishi_mieko_drawn_by_carina_xiaowoo__sample-2a59300958bd2c5df9f41a7c083 (850x869, 112K)

The printer can process the entire document and store it in RAM instead of loading new pages into RAM as old pages are printed, allowing it to spew out pages at its maximum speed

Any guides to it?

I thought printer uses post script to print the documents.

The manpages

They accept PS, they still need to process that PS. PS is a turing complete programming language, every time a document is opened it's JIT compiled. In the '80s there was a chance your printer had a more powerful CPU than your desktop.

Brother printers are great. I have an HL-2270DW and it works great and the duplex is a great feature. I can totally recommend it.

I got the drivers to work in fedora but I haven't got it working yet with my arch linux. I download the driver package from AUR and try to setup the printer via system-config-printer but with no success.

Attached: a0aaa4e7.png (423x453, 99K)

>tfw fell for the inkjet meme
Now I have 3 old ink printers in perfectly good condition, but I can't use it because the ink cartridge cost more than a new ink printer + ink.
And third party cartridges doesn't work.

You might just have to try a different ink vendor that's better at faking cartridge chip identification.

They don't work because the ink is shit.
If I don't use it for few days with will clog the cartridge.

positive experience with old b/w printers, eg hp laserjet2015 - some printed 100k pages and almost never had any issues
for whatever reason we switched to pure xerox environment end everyone hates them (the small phasers seem to be the most reliable and even then we call a repair due to them every ~2month, the larger workcentres are utter trash)

if you dont care about refurbrished, get an old hp laserjet
if you need more functions, get a brother- up to their b/w multi printers (i got the L2712DW and it's printing orgasm, i only miss duplex scanning because jewed out throwing few more bucks out)

>up to their b/w multi printers
Any reason?

Did you get yours already? If so, please see questions below.
I plan on buying the HL-L2350DW tomorrow, how good is the wifi reception? Mine will be a bit far from the router.
Also, do you know if it's possible to connect it to a computer via USB and then use cloud printing services with that (assuming the PC is on, obviously) or will they only work if I connect it to wifi?

When did they start doing that? I just bought a CDW 9330 this fall and it gives no such fucks. I mean it has that retarded reset wheel but it's trivial to physically defeat it.

I bought a brother DCP7065dn about 7 years ago now for $100 on sale. Still have it and only had to change the tone once so far.

I've never had trouble with it whatsoever, best purchase I ever made. New toner on amazon was like 20 bucks from an aftermarket company and it's been fine for a couple years as well.

I've had ink jet before and I'm glad I made the switch.