Anyone played with the MikroTik RB4011iGS+RM yet...

Anyone played with the MikroTik RB4011iGS+RM yet? I've got one coming in the new year - seems pretty hard to beat on the price/features standpoint.

Attached: 1633_hi_res.png (2560x1592, 882K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failover
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

why is this supposedly good? the specs are pretty garbage compared to a lot of consumer ASUS routers

What comparable ASUS routers are you thinking of?

nevermind, i just re-read the specs and it's a quad core not a single core.

yeah this shits on routers that are like double the price. the only downside is that you would need to buy wireless access points

Nothing wrong with that. MikroTik wireless access points are cheap too, or go with Ubiquiti if you want something with a friendlier management interface.

There's a model with wifi too. It's very good, dual band 4x4 MIMO, although no 802.11ax.

Yep, I've got the wifi version I've been testing for work. Currently only using it as a CAPsMAN CAP just to test the wireless features.

Attached: 20181226_023543.jpg (4032x3024, 3.47M)

What do you end up using them for at work, if you don't mind the question? Full-on edge devices doing routing, packet filter and VPN? or something less rigorous? I see these a good bit but i'm usually replacing them with a brand name firewall for clients at work.

I work for a wisp and we currently use Cambium routers for our residential customers but having lots of issues with them so were looking to moving to either a mikrotik or Calix hardware. The rest of our routed network is about 90 percent mikrotiks.

Neat. Hope that works out. I'm mostly in Enterprise and SMB networks so we occasionally see MikroTiks being used as edge routers where a customer needed VLANS and all the other stuff I mentioned. I've actually been in one recently and they're not bad, I just prefer the more expensive stuff I'm trained on, for obvious reasons.

I AM seeing quite a few of the local ISP's going with MikroTik for THEIR business internet routers. One of the techs for a local wired ISP told me come of the MikroTiks that can terminate fiber are the cheapest platforms to do that with on the market. I don't know if that's necessarily true but its Guaranteed to be cheaper than the Ciena and Cisco stuff I see AT+T throwing out there.

I'm at a WISP too. Played with Cambium routers once before, they seemed inferior to most other options save for cnMaestro integration - was that your experience?

Yeah, I've used MikroTiks for business routers and at small PoP sites. Can't see any other decent SFP+ routers at this price point, so I'm hoping the 4011 will be solid.

Networking noob here, can anyone tell me the use case of enterprise routers and why companies often have more than one router? Maybe I'm missing something about the whole concept of routing

The same reason why they would have more than one server, and those servers have more than one power supply.

So if one fucks up, the other 1-2 are there to take over and its business as usual.

If its a small business, they might be able to deal with 1hr internet down time, but not for a business that actually turns over big sums of money.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failover

Attached: 1533561226517.jpg (1280x1780, 858K)

So it's just a failover? I thought there was something more complex

Nope. Practically all networking devices will have redundancy in an enterprise setup.

How good is the OS? Since you've got a licence to use it I'm assuming there is no point of running OpenWrt on it

You can do load balancing, so 1+1=2gbps, but its more complicated than that.

Its mostly just for failovers, and its best if they are coming from two IX's so if they have any issues or someone cuts a cord its all gucci

Attached: 1504587718322.png (184x181, 22K)

I know about load balancing but I don't think it's common, I was thinking about stuff like complex routing necessities and algorithms that somehow needed more than a router

jfc who the fuck lets you people deploy mikroshit in a corporate environment? These things are hobby and enthusiast tier. The second you need support because their shit hardware is dropping traffic you're in for a bad time.

Attached: 1544941483766.jpg (128x128, 5K)

RouterOS can be confusing at times, but is very powerful. I'm assuming that the RB4011 will come with a L4 license, so you can pretty much do everything besides dealing with BGP.

I wouldn't use them as router, they've been caught with their pants down a few times around security.

I would, and do use their managed switches though. Good price/perf, pretty shitty warranty experience so be prepared for that.

my boys, also work for a WISP and I just got 2 of these RB4011s to screw with, really promising.

Especially useful that each of the 2 switch groups have 2.5Gb going to them in addtion to the SFP+. Bonding for our 2Gb radios though the netonix POE switches has gotten signifigantly less complex now that we don't need to add a 10G switch inbetween.

Still waiting for the SFP+ models to come out.....

We had 2 brocade nodes stright up die in the field (corrupted file systems) and already lost 3 switches due to shitty power supplies. I'll take cheap Mikrotik over expensive crap with worse stability

BGP is supported, though we typically use CCRs for that

As far as who is letting ME deploy it, no one. I don't deploy it for the very reasons you specified. I'm putting Cisco, HP, Fortinet, Palo Alto equipment in place at my customers, but I work for a VAR that sells all those. More often than not, I am replacing a Mikrotik with a Fortinet firewall or Cisco ASA.

As for who put those MikroTik in place before me? Who the hell knows. I specialize in coming in after the previous IT consultant has been fired and picking up the pieces. I agree about the Tiks being hobby tier, but I like knowing how to get into stuff I am replacing in case I need to get configuration details out of the device the customer may just not be aware of.

Meh; we mostly use them in small residential shops for the company and oob for the asr9k boxes.

They are not that bad. But its fucking annoying that noone bothers to fucking read the fucking manual (wiki) for these
So out of a crew of 50 ip backbone engineers like 6 of us actually knows how to even set up vrf-s on these boxes.

I'd buy it if it had a least a single 10gbps or even 5/2.5gbps ethernet port.

Having a single 10gbps SFP+ means you can can't have any 10gbps capable clients when using a greater than 1gbps ISP connection.

Comcast for example offers a 2gbps SFP+ connection here, but on this router, all of my client devices would be limited to 1gbps bandwidth.

Sure, multiple 1gbps clients simultaneously could use the full 2gbps, but no single client could.

>isp who just doesn't force you to use their boxes so they can monitor the link status and just slaps you with a fucking fiber cable

As a european I can barely believe this, but sure.
We too serve a "2gbps" connection towards users, this is more the "onpremise" guy's field, but as far as I know you can't slap a byod on the fiber.
They tell users that set their devices to pppoe passthrough and just plug two cabels with lacp to the first two ethernet ports of the isp device.

But as far as I know our backbone noone ever fucking gets 2gbps; rather a good 1.3 at max.

Why not just get a switch (that does what you want) with this router that you etherchannel with this router?

using two gigabit ports for aggregate connections simply isn't as good as a single pipe.

And yeah, Comcast is really doing good by delivering a true SFP+ drop that you can do whatever you want with.

They offer a router with their service for $20/month rental, but it's just an SFP+ router with 1gbps ethernet like this one here, but from a bigger name (netgear maybe?).

The only way to get the full 2gpbs is to provide your own router, and right now the cheapest way to do it is to build your own with used SFP+ NICs, or used 10GbE NICs, or if you wanna spend money on new stuff, you can get Aquantia 10gbe cards for around $80 new.

Or you can spend real money on a router built to handle 10gbps traffic and spend $500-1000 easily.

Are you sure this is a real 10Gbps sfp+?
Not just a GPON with the 2.5Gbps sfp module?

If its a regular sfp you could get smth like a mikrotik CCR1009

It's real, further they actually deliver 2gbps on an SFP+ drop, and another 1gbps on an ethernet drop with a different IP address so they can technically be used at the same time and you can get 3gbps.

Attached: 2018-12-26 19_32_01.png (301x157, 30K)