Centralized servers

>centralized servers
>steals your personal info
>electron
>killed forums
>please join our discord to download this file :^)
Why do normalniggers use this garbage instead of IRC or Jabber

Attached: discord.jpg (1000x563, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

cancel.fm/ripcord/
github.com/NatTupper/dline
twitter.com/AnonBabble

convenience, user friendliness, emojis, the normie-preferred amount of customizability and control (read:just barely enough for basic functions), pretty user interface, gaymer approved, etc. it is garbage that nobody will accept is garbage, as was slack and as was Skype. at this point I would rather use MSN messenger or AIM than the garbage that gets shovelled down people's throats today.

What I don't understand is yes, it killed forums but WHY on earth is EVERY community on discord absolutely terrible? It's always ironic memes, ironic weebs, drama, and circle jerks.
I miss forums.

>normalfags using irc
>a system that has always been convoluted and unfriendly to newbies
>a system heavily populated with freaks that make chris-chan seem normal
>a system that has been given a privatized normalfag-friendly front-end by discord
youre joking, right?

That's all I got from most game forums and messageboards. /v/ can have 500+ post internet fights over eating super mutant meat.

It's what the entire internet has become.
Even Jow Forums is filled with these retards.
I miss when people could do act honestly and have actual passion and love for the stuff they did, instead of being "dude i like this shit but only ironically because if i did it unironically people would criticize me and tell me im autistic, since it doesn't match the public's opinion of what's good and bad"

It's the people that make communities bad. Discord has a particularly low entry requirement, IQ wise, so it just has more people.

I'm using it because all of my meatspace normalfag buddies started using it. I want the glory days back, but none of them seem to mind getting fucked in the ass.

i remember in 08 /v/ was fun, I was also a lot younger so maybe its just rose tinted glasses.
conversation on the internet has just become an ironic shitpost. i hate it
good point. All they have to do is click a link and they are now a part of the community.

i don't know any normalfags actually using discord, seems like gaymur community quarantine thing

>remember, you're here forever
I see you are also living the meme, brother.

>Why do normalniggers use this garbage instead of IRC or Jabber

I think Jow Forums would probably have a panic attack about "the normie takeover" and start discussing alternatives if "normies" actually started using those.

>rose tinted glasses
no, Jow Forums gets more popular every year. thus, more shit every year because of the underageb&s and now reddit leftists attempting to avenge their madame president. the site cant absorb that much shit without ill effect.

You know it. There was a period of about a year where I didn't come here, then I got my life together and got comfortable and came back to this shit hole. Sometimes the community can be amazing though, like the reddit vs /v/ tribes match

I came for the guro and never left.
I almost want the guro back at this point.

You are a fucking idiot.

Then tell me why, retard.

Because as far as normalfags are concerned, discord just works, it's much easier to get going than jabber.

The good communities are closed to the normie scum.

It's just a containment program for normalfag "gaymers" and the like. Let it be, anyone worth their salt doesn't bother with it and it will wipe itself out. The people I've had aquaintance with that have it are goddamn retards in large part, or some sort of neolib/"alt right" tard.

>It's always ironic memes, ironic weebs, drama, and circle jerks.
>I miss forums.

My normalfags friends think discord is free lmao . How retarded can you be ..

You forgot
>mines crypto
>exposes you to the most mentally ill people possible

I heard you can connect to it with an IRC client without using a bot. How does that work?

Matrix is better than all of the above. Stop shilling broken & featureless garbage. Nobody would ever switch for that. But riot actually has a chance

it's not an irc client but at least its not made-by-discord-devs

cancel.fm/ripcord/

Inb4 it gets banned.

been using it for 6 months or so, its fine

>Low CPU and memory usage
>Zero GPU usage
>No tracking or analytics
That pretty much proves the main client it is mining crypto.

Normies are incredibly fucking bad at computers.

I recommend dline
github.com/NatTupper/dline

I never actually used Discord myself, haven't even tried to install it (does it run on Linux, anyway?). But I've seen it, my nephews use it and the one with dual monitor setup has it open on one when he's playing Fortnite.

You can't expect a 10 year old to figure out how to setup a XMPP/Jabber server or use IRC, it's not simple/userfriendly enough. And that is a problem the free software community needs to solve. As for Discord "communities" being terrible.. I don't know, I haven't seen any. But I can imagine what a community of mostly kids looks like.

One last little thing. I hear a lot of people talk about "their discord server" like they have one. As I understand it, it's just a centralized service, nobody's actually got a server running it (unlike my XMPP server which is actually software running on my physical server).

riot.im just werks

>You can't expect a 10 year old to figure out how to setup a XMPP/Jabber server or use IRC, it's not simple/userfriendly enough

How the fuck did 10 year olds 10 years ago figure it out

I was using IRC when I was 12, so what gives? In fact a lot of my classmates did because one of them taught me by saying "download mirc, set up quakenet, type /join channel". Gee, that was hard.

Fact is that people have been getting increasingly dumber when it comes to technology.

>>centralized servers
For most people it's a plus because they don't need to host their own servers.
>Why do normalniggers use this garbage instead of IRC or Jabber
Because it's user friendly, and has pretty much everything a normie wants.
>direct IM and chat rooms
>direct voice chat and voice chat rooms, in the same application
>no need to pay for hosting a server
It's no wonder nobody uses freetard garbage if you seriously consider IRC an acceptable alternative.

>using IRC is not simple/userfriendly enough
>meanwhile there are millions of children who learned how to use computers on pic related
Modern tech companies do not have any interest in making things simple or user-friendly.

When they say "simple" what they actually mean is, effective at getting you to sign up and give your personal info.

When they say "user-friendly" what they actually mean is, make it so addictive and with enough proprietary vendor lock-in so that you can't leave.

Attached: 6162-89827-c64screenjpg-468x.jpg (468x312, 12K)

> You can't expect a 10 year old to figure out how to setup a XMPP/Jabber server or use IRC
> it's not simple/userfriendly enough.
you know damn well how simple it is, since you claim to run an xmpp (KEK) server.. and it's far from unfriendly to use. also, please explain to us, Jow Forumsenius, how 10yos were able to figure out IRC back in the 90s? was it by accident? different times? or is it because kids have today have turned into completely clueless fucking retards that need to be spoonfed everything to them by advertising, youtubers, streamers and faggots like yourself?

> I'm banned from every channel because I'm an insufferable cunt, so everyone else on IRC is to blame.
looks like it's suicide for you, friend.

> be you
> too retarded to even know how to setup their own IRCd

i see this thread has no shortage of s-o-y based, neckbearded losers/normies.

>instead of IRC
Do you really have to ask this? Are nerds so out of touch they don't understand how user unfriendly IRC is to the average person?
It's no surprise the popularity of Windows and iPhones are still met with bewilderment from you. You literally cannot comprehend most people have better things to do than to learn commands and counter intuitive interfaces. They want something that works out of the box. Something they look at for the first time and within 5 minutes are familiarized with the program. Discord delivers on that. IRC does not.

Attached: basement_dweller_by_neetsfagging322297-dbcwlhk[1].png (1812x1200, 2.45M)

> doesn't know how to irc
> needs shiny buttons and a corporation to hold their hand and steal/sell their data for them
my fucking sides.

discord didn't kill BBS forums, reddit did. discord killed any text based messenger other than irc, which is still vibrant as always. >reddit spacing

> discord
heavily compromised, zero privacy, sells data, hands over data to any government agency
ghost administrators sitting in channels, watching private conversations and killing off "servers" they don't like or have been reported.
> xmpp
less reliable and as secure as e-mail
> irc
still king, even more based when using blowfish encryption that nobody can crack.

i'll stick to irc, thanks faggots.

It's a botnet /thread

>doesn't know how to irc
Why is it surprising to you that most people don't know and don't care to learn IRC?
>needs shiny buttons and a corporation to hold their hand and steal/sell their data for them
This argument can be used the other way around too. What's there to say about a profession where people only do a good job when they're getting paid by big corp? Not a single free software became mainstream precisely because the people behind them don't put enough effort.
There are hundreds of examples of groundbreaking work in other areas of science where the inventor got nothing but academic recognition. Code monkeys on the other hand only do things when getting paid by Shekelbersgtein. Sad!

I used IRC when I was 10.

>Having to pay for this garbage
>Shilling this garbage
I'll stick to IRC and Steam. I won't bother with Discord, or the putrid shit that gets posted on this terrible fucking website.

So, what your post is trying to convey is that most people are shit, and those who do not go the distance to use free(dom) alternatives are complete shit? I can go with that.

So it's magically hosted nowhere, not requiring you to have a computer 24/7 on or to pay for a server? Because for normal people this is not acceptable. And still lacks voice chat.

>>steals your personal info

Attached: weirdalfoil.jpg (350x347, 40K)

>for normal people paying for things is not acceptable
discord is literal commie trash

Attached: 242e259ba7331a19e72d7cf031cb235c.jpg (440x481, 59K)

Paying with data is preferable.

Because 10 years ago that was what you had to do, nowadays learning to use the computingz is a lot less complicated than 10, 20, 30 years ago.
Why read up on how to set up a XMPP server when you could just download discord and it just werks™? Obviously you and I know the answers but even if that 10-year-old did care, do you think his circle of 5 friends would care? Most likely not, they'd tell him to fuck off with his stupid IRC shit and join them on discord.

Attached: remi small.png (512x383, 190K)

>why do people do things I don't?

Why isn't that a valid question, you aspie? That question gets asked all the time so people learn to avoid, or to at least deal with your faggotry.

To this day I'm still using IRC.
people who use Discord just wanna do voice chatting why not use skype because their using the same shit.

>Does Ripcord cost anything?
>Not right now. Eventually, it will. Probably between $10 and $30. You'll be able to use it without paying, but there will be a nag screen.

Attached: constant.jpg (200x127, 5K)

I remember my 17yo sister about 20 years ago struggling with an IRC CLIENT - not even server. But she has grown up into such an ultra-normie, I can't stand seeing her more than once a decade.

It was a different time

The retards that couldn't figure out XMPP or IRC didn't get team chat.

Is she a single mom with a black kid?

All I want is mumble updated with some discord features.
Like a server directory of channels that anyone can put a channel on, chat history saving server side (that brings it back to the client on reconnection), and proper 'friend' management.

You litetally need to know four commands only, sorry for thinking the average person is capable of it.

Because it's easy to use and constantly spammed everywhere, including Jow Forums.

Simplicity is the real reason. It just works. I've NEVER seen discord have a problem. The voice chat works very well, the textual chat let's you drag any files you want into the window, easy to set up bots just IRC, etc. It originally filled a void because Teamspeak and other such programs sucked so much cock. Then it branched out from there, and now no one can leave because everybody is already using it.

>I miss when people could do act honestly and have actual passion and love for the stuff they did

That's why Jow Forums is my main board. Only board in which you can talk to people and share passions and slices of life without retards screaming BASEDBOY LIBTARD BTFO IM WITH HER XDDDDDDD

>good
>don't care
>good
>good
>takes 2 seconds, better than registering to a shitty forum and you can leave after
Literally 0 issues

no, you're shit for not comprehending reality. Sounds like you're autistic, which is not something bad or be ashamed of.

as if state doesn't have all your info. They are tards and autistic

this

>need to set up a bouncer to get messages while you're not on
Why is Jow Forums so fucking autistic?

I can sense the cia niggers on this thread, stay on alert

>discord didn't kill BBS forums, reddit did
Came here to say this.

Delusional

Is IRC even still alive and worth using today?

Because normal people are dumb as fuck. Its the same fucking facebook crowd using the service.

Original use for Discord was mainly a replacement/upgrade over teamspeak for MMO/raiding guilds. This was because raiding guild would usually pay for servers to host their voice chat servers. Discord was meant to make this easier for raiders to use voice chat. Particularly, WoW raiders.

However because how popular it became, other non-gamers raiders or non-raiders starting using it as a replacement for forums. It became toxic as a result.

FIRIN UP DA STAR COMMAND GET YOUR GAYMEN LAZERS READY XD

Attached: computersfortherestofus.png (1000x2000, 332K)

normalfags are literal deers, discord is just the biggest headlights right now. It will change eventually.
Also you should stop trying to make sense out of normalfag's moves. It will drive you insane.

>steam
>literally just a broken discord now

>33 year old boomer
>have no idea what discord does but I hate it

Attached: 297[1].jpg (680x383, 41K)

I have no idea what discord is but it sounds like shit.

It's literally in their ToS. Also, pic related.

Attached: 1527423877387.png (2054x653, 247K)

>sad that forums have died

Attached: 1533863831657.jpg (500x667, 61K)

Normies don't care about any of that

You are acting as if some forums weren’t cancer.

Attached: 7cwh3vu6l7bz.jpg (400x300, 22K)

I will beat the fuck out of anyone that uses Discord

sign me the fuck up

Fite me queer

>heheh if you dont use discord you dont have friends user you are boring and you have no life :^)

>average nu-g poster

Attached: hngggg.jpg (482x295, 26K)

I'd like to see you try, faggot

>discord using soiboys think they can fight anyone

>discord

NOT. EVEN. ONCE

Give me a good reason to not use Electron beside "ugly UI lol".

>centralized servers
Just like IRC ;)

You can host an IRC server.
No one but Discord can host a Discord server.

>centralized servers
IRC is not peer to peer and if it was no one with half a brain cell would use it for obvious reasons.
>steals your personal info
IRC could very well do the same based off what the irc client sends to the server
>electron
The only + IRC has over discord since there's mean options
>killed forums
Has nothing to do with Discord. Discord channels in no way replaced forums and threads just like IRC channels didn't. You're retarded if you think so.
>please join our discord to download this file :^)
You can download discord files without being in the channel if you have the link

That is still a centralized server architecture. You are connecting to a centralized server that handles all the communication between peers.

Jow Forums once again proves to be tech incompetent retards.

Attached: (You).jpg (600x582, 209K)