I'm going shopping for a 4K TV tomorrow at the mall. what should I get?
And yes, I sit close enough for it to matter

Attached: watch-4k-tv-670x335.jpg (670x335, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/TCL-43S405-43-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01N29XPO3
rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-s405-s425
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I sit close enough for it to matter
No you fucking do not.

>Falling for the 4k meme
The absolute state of Jow Forums

Why do people say this?

40" requires about 2-3 feet.

55" is about 3-5 feet.

65" is around 4-6 feet

etc

I use a 43" at about 2.5 feet.

Honestly, each model can vary wildly even from the same company, it's best to look up the specific models you're considering and then narrow it down from there based on what is in your price range and available.

Buy yourself a proper chair/desk instead so you can have your head in a normal position.

Because the diminishing returns on resolution are completely pathetic compared to the amount of processing power it eats. It's fucking stupid as shit and you will absolutely not see enough difference for it to be worth any amount of money.

whatever you get make sure it isn't a "smart" TV

get a normal TV and an android box instead

but don't know whether to trust rtings.com or thewirecutter or whatever

Do NOT get an OLED one, for starters.
Burn-in isn't a meme.
And unless you're an avid movie aficionado, don't bother with top of the line models unless you have a couple thousand dollars burning a hole in your wallet.
With that said, though, the Vizio P Quantum gives an unprecedented bang for your buck.

oh yeah, I know that much at least. dumb TV + smart box instead of "smart" TV.

I have friends.

Meh, it's fantastic for certain use cases.

Any sort of turn based strategy, or games that have an advantage from pure res, like stardew valley benefit greatly from a large 4k panel.

Civilization or total war are fantastic at 4k on a 43" panel.

Further, 4k media exists, you can easily pirate 4k movies at good quality, much higher quality than streaming 4k content, and no need to jump through DRM hoops.

Also, anything that benefits from having more desktop realestate is fantastic with a large 4k panel, video or photo editing are great examples.

Rtings has decent reviews and if you're looking to use it as a PC monitor, they generally have a subsection of the review specifically dealing with using the TV as a monitor.

>40" requires about 2-3 feet

You would need to roll your eyes to the back of your head to see from top to bottom nigga

I'm currently using one "nigga", i think i'd realize if I were doing that.

Human vision FOV is 140 degrees, a 40" 4k panel fills your entire FOV at about 2.1 feet. For 20/20 vision, the optimal acuity distance is 2.6 feet.

These are based on the THX theater standard.

Attached: 2018-12-26 18_45_13.png (730x349, 37K)

sony oleds have pure native android

good luck upgrading that

A9F

Attached: 92B44F62-23FA-44ED-8444-E0EE3F2D159E.jpg (1500x781, 101K)

>A9F
not everyone has $3-5k to blow on a TV.

then what 1080p should I get?

tcl, expect 55 inch in the 550-650$ range
there is another one that is arguably better in the same price range, but honestly, tcl has higher native contrast and a smoother gradient blend and that wins as far as i'm concerned,

you forgot to mention, while individual pixels may be hard to distinguish if are distinguishable at all from outside that range, a single white pixel will be noticeable at a further distance, and hdr is trying to expand the contrast that is caught on film to something in the 26000 range opposed to the sub 200 that non hdr has, its also a fact that no hdr tv does the hdr standard fully yet

55 inch 4k as a monitor, I effectively have 4 1080p's at 27 inches as my display. shits nice. I also play games in windows, so 1080/1440/1600 are my normal game resolutions and it works very well for that.

debateable with stardew, it will make the farm and planning a bit easier, but you are able to get lossed in the pixels far easier you are with a more zoomed in screen.

im at the 2-4 foot range right now at 55 inch, for video most shit is filmed in thirds, to the point that I don't need to move my eyes, and my whole vision is filled, its really nice, though right now i'm on Jow Forums and its taking up 1/2 of my screen so its a 1920x2100~ resolution, and to comfortably read im looking up and down, but its nice to have more on screen at once, like putting a monitor sideways.

its only a meme if you buy sub 40 inch displays.

tcl 615/617p at 600/650 is what you are looking at as a base line, visio or viewsonic makes a tv that is arguably better, but I wanted higher static contrast so tcl was the clear choice there

these are the base line of what you should consider, anything more expensive is greatly diminishing returns when non oled self emissive is right around the corner, and even sooner hdmi 2.1 which will effectively kill off any use for display port.

>but you are able to get lossed in the pixels far easier
If you're sitting close enough, it's not an issue. I have 100 hours in stardew valley on a 43" 4k, another 20-30 hours at 1440p on a 27"

I MUCH prefer the 4k.

>mall
they always keep outdated products. Go to official retailer.

you seem knowledgeable. Let's say your baseline isn't the same as my baseline: what's the best at the $300-400 range? my mounting location is recessed which prevents large screens from working out, and usually the nicer ones don't come in smaller sizes anyways.

the problem is the 55 inch range is the cheapest bang for buck, and tcl is making statement pieces at the moment, They may make a smaller 600 line at the moment but I have no idea, I thought they made a 43 inch but cant find it.

if you want to step down, you are removing full array local dimming, and some of the hdr functionality, which add alot to the quality, however,

amazon.com/TCL-43S405-43-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B01N29XPO3

260$ from amazon, or 280$ for 49 inch, its hard to pass that up.
rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-s405-s425

if I remember right, its the same panel as the 605, just with a different lighting method that is significantly dimmer, also without dolby hdr.

you also get some sports shit that's worse because slow panning tends to hitch without interpolation of any kind, or till hdmi 2.1 gets put out, there may be another tv that's in this price range, or in your range, but the problem I had when I got mine was I wanted something 48 inches, but anything that was around that size was significantly worse, or significantly more expensive so I said fuck it and went 55 inch.

If I was you, I would consider putting in a scissor arm for wall mounting. and having the tv partially rest inside or over the recessed hole. hell if you wanted to you could make a 4x4 mounting rack and not have to worry about drywall mounting the thing. since it would be inside the recessed wall and if done right, using pressure above and below to hold it in place.

there should be a newer tv in the 400 tcl series, and that's what you will be looking for in a store.

oh I prefer the 4k far over anything else too, however I have it more zoomed in than I would like or just play it in a smaller window while doing other things,

The absolute state of Jow Forums

There is no alternative to 4k unless you want a 3 year old TV at the same price as a middle of the road 4k set. They don't make 1080p above 40" anymore. 4k is a "trendy feature" they all have now. That's just the way it is.

it would require a 33" mount, which are like $150 extra. most only extend 18" or so

Like I said, you could get a 4x4, cut it to size so it fits nice and snug and put the wall mount bracket on that, the wood probably costs 20-30$ and a simple mount would probably cost 15 and one that extends would cost 30

all you would really have to do is check it for the first year or so as the wood will probably dry out more and that may cause some issues with snuggly, but even then, you could cut a 4-8 inch long section out and bolt it too the damn thing and never worry about it coming out.

you can get some old samsungs for the low end 4k price which are as good as the price parody 600$ tvs, possibly a little better, there are alot of people who assume the old tech is just fucked and will toss them instead of finding a use.

alright I'll look at a TCL. Most of our viewing is 6-8' away so a sub-50 won't be too bad.

sub 50 isnt bad, but the issue is once you want to go smaller, you have to pay out the ass for the same quality as a larger tv, its why I got stuck with a 55 inch monitor instead of something around 43-48 inch like I was planning.