So my regular pc went to the crapper so im stuck with some 90s white crapbox. Specs are as follows:

So my regular pc went to the crapper so im stuck with some 90s white crapbox. Specs are as follows:

>Nvidia tnt riva with 8 mb vram >clocked to 100 mhz

>256 mb of ram

>Pentium 3 mhz

>200gb harddrive

How can i possibly entertain myself on this crapputer while i wait for new cpu for my normal computer?

Attached: $_86.jpg (768x1024, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

glennklockwood.com/benchmarks/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

install gentoo

Pentium 3 550 mhz*

Play old games I guess.

Install a linux distro

>200gb hdd
>90s

Ok, kid.

unironically this OP

>200gb hdd

Attached: john cena.jpg (331x500, 29K)

Upgraded disk

Install Alpine.

Gopher, Usenet, text browser, play some XCOM or Starflight.

Two words:
Unreal Tournament

what everyone else said plus shitposting here

sim city 2000

SUCK IT DOWN

First off, clean the damn Desk feet,
then the Case,
then the inside of the Case,
and then kill yourself to spare us your miserey

>he gets BORED of retro compoopers
God I wish that were me.
Just hearing the sounds that computers with similar specs to yours make is infinitely more entertaining than the acreage over-hyped zoomer targeting violence glorifier; the average game that requires powerful specs, that is

Attached: omaioua_mo_bateman.jpg (544x499, 42K)

Simcity
Age of Empires
Civilization
Roller Coaster Tycoon

Any one of these you can sink a hundred hours into.

Diablo 2 will run fine on that machine too.

you're legit better off just getting a raspberry pi for the time being

Instala GNU mas Linux.

As several others have already said, install a Linux distro. This will be an opportunity to learn something and expand your abilities. In such older hardware I'd suggest Slackware, Debian or Void.

I think Deus Ex would work fine too.

raspis are slower than 1995 hardware

CnC Red Alert 2 will be a fun ride.

How high are you exactly? Zoom Zoom.

I like your style. My favourites.

glennklockwood.com/benchmarks/index.html
even the 3 gets its ass handed to it by ancient single-socket Itanium systems lmao

Quake or linux + programming for fun

> >256 mb of ram
Debian w/o GUI takes up 65 MB.

win2000 is the only logical choice for that system
followed by nt4
followed by beos
followed distantly by 98/ME if you hate yourself

> win2000
XP. 2000 won't run much programs.

2000 runs plenty of software especially with community kernel extensions, nothing that actually needs XP to run is going to be worthwhile on a system like that anyway

I could never run Dungeon Keeper 2 well in XP. And maybe System Shock 2.

LOL not on an original Riva. That's not even a Riva TNT.
Anything 3D is out, folks.

That would leave Diablo, Master of Orion II, Command and Conquer, Total Annihilation, Warcraft II, Age of Empires, Dungeon Keeper, Fallout, Wing Commander III, X-Com Apocalypse.
Things like that.

he said its a tnt

install windows 98 and the latest version of firefox for it, you can browse Jow Forums with JS disabled just fine

Windows 98 uses like 10MB.

Stop infecting this board with your cancer.

The TNT had 16MB.

>/v/
>old games
lmao, that's /vr/ content, which is more of a tech board than Jow Forums.

>that's /vr/ content
I don't care, just take your games somewhere else.
>which is more of a tech board than Jow Forums
Because people talk about the toys you like? Nobody cares, manchild. Just fuck off back to /vr/ if you like it there so much.

Found the assblasted newfag. No need to fit in my friend, just fuck off back to plebbit.

kill yourself

>Found the assblasted newfag
Yep, everyone who doesn't like your toys is a newfag. That is a nice defence mechanism you have there.
>No need to fit in my friend, just fuck off back to plebbit.
I'm pretty sure gamers like you would feel more welcome there. But you seem to get unreasonably upset in defence of your toys, so maybe discord is more your speed.

maybe wizardry 8 will run

go back

Attached: 1365437427703.jpg (719x720, 51K)

I ran UT on a P3 733MHz with a Rage Pro. And the Rage Pro was unsupported so I ran the game in software. Slowly.
It was still fun.

What else would you do with a computer that old? It's too old to do anything modern like browsing the web, and too new to be an interesting programming challenge.

xD

>What else would you do with a computer that old?
Write tools for what you need. Port a web browser to it, like NetSurf, if you want to browse the web.

You are not welcome here.

Attached: 12903812093.png (189x164, 50K)

This isn't /vr/, kid. Go back to your toy board with the rest of the manchildren.

I'd have said to install gentoo but it's virtually impossible to compile some essential packages with less than 1GB RAM

Attached: 2018-12-25-003637_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 1.02M)

don't have a stroke, my dear newfried

>video games are cancer
>anime isn't

Attached: tidus laugh.jpg (1000x600, 90K)

Good fucking luck rendering anything other than archived Geocities sites
I've got a 500MHz P3 with Win98 and any kind of web browser falls into two categories: runs great but completely disregards any modern web standard, or kindof works with modern sites but takes 5 minutes to render a page.
A computer of that age is completely useless for anything other than being a game machine, especially if you're only using it for a week or so.

RENT FREE

Even a shitty Savage4 can sort of run it, so the TNT should be enough on low to be playable

You can probably semi browse the internet with Dillo. Unironically install OpenBSD.

Nobody mentioned anime. Why do gamers always get so angry about anime not being mentioned whenever video games are criticised?
>xD do I fit in yet fellow gamers???
People have forked browsers to run well on 233MHz PowerPC G3s, don't act like it is impossible to write a decent browser for a P3.

>OpenBSD
I hope you meant to write NetBSD.

Mind posting that wallpaper? Searching it gave me nothing.

>69081832
lol redddit

Attached: 2snapshot_11.15.png (1920x1080, 2.62M)

Attached: Letty.Whiterock.full.2071381.jpg (1360x765, 1.02M)

Y-YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

Attached: 1543991890098.png (571x618, 53K)

Says the gamer...

commander keen
dinopark tycoon
tyrian
rollercoaster tycoon
doom
tie fighter
sim city 2000
there's a game called Gangsters that I loved as a kid, isometric organized crime gaem

I don't game. That computer can't do jack shit anymore properly apart from games.

>That computer can't do jack shit anymore properly apart from games.
Put NetBSD on it and you can use email, browse the web, program, compile, and so on. It can still be capable.

Attached: 1509570653331.png (475x375, 701K)

I said properly. Do you really think it's not going to choke to death by trying to load a modern webpage?

Why can't you just use a text based web browser?

I wonder how broken most pages look like with a text based browser.

It just displays the text. If you want everything then use wget.

Yeep. Just checked. Looks exactly as I expected. What kind of a NEET do you have to be to have time to download every single fucking page you visit?

>compile
OP would have a new computer already by the time anything finishes compiling on that

Not everyone spends all of their time on the web. I only visit four or five websites. All of them except Jow Forums are fine with just a text browser. For news you can just use RSS feeds with mutt.
It will only take a day to compile the GCC at most.

I need to find an old IBM PC desktop form factor to build my next Threadripper 2 rig in. That would be glorious

Attached: DSC_0075.jpg.5ab61e16ee9ad5803b5885600e27d964.jpg (791x1000, 503K)

There are more good games from that era than from our era user.

yes very cool

Meh, old cases are shitty and inferior for new builds and putting boring/ugly off the shelf gaming parts that literally anyone can buy in them makes it way less interesting, plus they'll never match the aesthetic and it totally kills the point.

I have more respect for someone who makes the old hardware useful than someone who pussies out and just throws new parts in to do the same boring games/social media shit they've always done and can't grow out of. It shows a lack of passion.

dude it's like retrofitting a 1960's muscle car with an all electric drive train. For the classic exterior with all the modern amenities.

you can do the same shit on Win2k with real software instead of whatever gimped barely supported "lightweight" garbage you'd scrounge up on a free *nix, though
and NetBSD is fucking garbage even among those unless there's literally no other option
until letsencrypt fucked everything up with incompatible certs FF12 was plenty usable for 90% of my most often visited websites, only shitty web apps and other useless shit you can just as easily browse on a phone had any real trouble, mostly from incompatible JQuery bullshit that just doesn't load, the computer could usually handle it alright

Yeah and all the shit aerodynamics, lack of safety standards, lack of efficiency and lack of actual feel of driving a real muscle car. Leave the past in the past for those who appreciate them for what they are, and embrace the best parts of the now. There's nothing special about destroying an old computer to fit new parts inside, it just becomes a shitty looking new computer.

>you can do the same shit on Win2k with real software
But Windows is unusable garbage. You don't even have a proper shell on that shit. Plus all the software is horrific. Mutt is the best email client, Irssi is the best irc client, w3m is the best web browser.
>and NetBSD is fucking garbage
Spoken like someone who has never used a BSD before.

even though that's pretty subjective if not outright wrong, all of that is pretty easily remedied with Cygwin or even SFU if you're really that baby ducked to a Unix-like environment that you can't comprehend anything else

ran and used NetBSD/cobalt daily for quite a while on a Qube 2 microserver where it was very outdated like most other NetBSD ports but still decent compared to the stock Red Hat image, but I'd never choose it for an x86 system where there are generally much better options, you can get a lot more use out of a contemporary Windows version on a system this old that's actually built for the hardware rather than trying to hack around with bloated modern GPL shit or using minimal outdated lightweight shit that lacks features compared to what you can get elsewhere

>even though that's pretty subjective if not outright wrong, all of that is pretty easily remedied with Cygwin or even SFU if you're really that baby ducked to a Unix-like environment that you can't comprehend anything else
It's not baby duck syndrome, it's the fact that Windows' shit just sucks. Powershell is garbage for everything. Why would I bother running a buggy, lacking compatibility layer when I could just run the real thing?
>you can get a lot more use out of a contemporary Windows version on a system this old
No you can't, because you'll be stuck using their shitty software.

>It's not baby duck syndrome, it's the fact that Windows' shit just sucks.
being this close-minded about it sounds a lot like baby duck syndrome to me, that's not to say the stock NT shell isn't utterly lacking for a lot of tasks beyond navigating a filesystem and running software, but when that's the case and you can't find any "native" solutions, that's what Cygwin/SFU are for, and they work just fine.
>No you can't, because you'll be stuck using their shitty software.
who's they? do you even really understand what you're talking about?

Browse Jow Forums with it and complain in the Jow Forums IRC. You'll have your new computer before you know it.

>that's what Cygwin/SFU are for
They're like WINE, when they work they are fine, but they rarely work as they should.
>who's they?
Microsoft and compatible software.
> do you even really understand what you're talking about?
xD le got heeem

>they're like WINE, when they work they are fine, but they rarely work as they should.
cygwin is absolutely nothing like WINE, but okay, can you give an example? mostly I use cygwin for GCC and occasional text-mode applications, which I've had no difficulty with on any systems other than NT4 that seems to have problems with auto-configuring environment variables out of the box
>Microsoft and compatible software.
in other words, you have no actual argument so you're just issuing generalizing blanket statements that make no sense on further examination, hoping nobody will call them out and just assume you know what you're talking about? cool. guess that still means *nix is garbage too considering almost all of that software runs on Windows as well.

>cygwin is absolutely nothing like WINE
lmao
> but okay, can you give an example?
Of it failing to replicate a Linux system? That is at a software level. You can't give an example of such a thing without looking at the way cygwin functions.
>in other words, you have no actual argument
If you like old, shit software then use it. But you need hacks to run decent software, like mutt and w3m, on winblows.

>Of it failing to replicate a Linux system?
ah, here's the problem, you literally don't know what cygwin is, or what it is for. how shameful.
cygwin (and SFU) is not a GNU/Linux (or Unix in the case of SFU) simulator/emulator nor a compatibility layer for GNU/Linux applications, it is a standalone POSIX environment for Windows systems. it is absolutely nothing like WINE which actively translates Windows API calls into their POSIX counterparts without requiring any specific targeting or recompilation. it is not meant to be an exact clone of a GNU/Linux environment in any way, shape or form, though it can support and run many of the same tools when they are specifically built for it.

this is basic knowledge that is explicitly pointed out in the first few paragraphs of the cygwin website, you should really stop posting here and let people who know what they're doing guide OP to actually having a somewhat useful system.

No, pajeet. It's just a compatibility layer. Learn what that actually means, and then come back. I'm sure Microsoft will drop a few more ruppees to train you.

when in doubt or otherwise out of any actual substance to your argument, call the truth and those who teach it to you... indian.
damn, nu-Jow Forums can be quite incomprehensible at times, but I guess you can have the last word if it makes you feel better, I think I more than rest my case if this garbage is literally all you can pull out of your ass lmao

Attached: 1544912868528.png (429x367, 244K)

So you admit you don't know what a compatibility layer is and you recoil when called out as an Indian. Interesting.

Go play some games from the 90s and early 2000s

Age of Empires desu. RIP MSN Gaming Zone.
Byzantines a best

R u an raterded