Game dev here, what distro do you recommend?

Distro hopped for years and stopped for Windows this year. With proton out, I want to make the full switch again.
Thing is, I'm unsure what distro. I used to be an Arch+i3 guy, but that was time consuming, polybar never fucking worked right, and took forever to look nice. Have a decent PC now and want something faster than Windows 10 but looks pretty cozy from the start. Likely gonna try out the latest ubuntu first, but have any recommendations to save me time?

Fuck off with your gentoo meme

Attached: wallhaven-490395.jpg (3840x2160, 2.26M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories
manjaro.org/download/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What platform/s are you trying to develop for?

Ubuntu works fine for me. Distro has nothing to do with what's best for game dev, it's more about installed software

noone's gonna buy your rpg maker games user

Attached: 1537655163626.png (293x270, 41K)

Ubuntu LTS for desktops and laptops, Debian for servers. Too much software and ppas available for Ubuntu distros to disregard it. For servers, Debian stable is so stable and efficient that it excels in that role.

Attached: c0bwmo.jpg (480x480, 15K)

Not him (different game dev) but game design is an art and a literary medium and it has the potential to change the world and motivate large scale cultural movements

desu though, if you settled on windows, youre probably going to go back to it because you sound like a weak wet noodle with no resolve.
You'll go back to Windows as soon as your favorite binbingwahoo! toy doesnt work or youre missing a frivilous software. proton / wine+dxvk is nice but not everything works for it yet. considering you posted a vidya pic and something for switch, id assume youre a low-t onions child who will bend back over for microsoft as soon as the latest game isnt supported on Linux. just stick to windows, child.

Attached: 179087.gif (1920x1080, 2.12M)

Fedora

People are buying it, and it wasn't made with RPG maker.

Attached: Capture.png (221x34, 7K)

Ubuntu MATE, is a flavor of Ubuntu that looks pretty decent from the start, so does Linux Mint too. If by any chance you want to tinker a bit go for Devuan and rice it.

And learn to make AppImages. Pic related.

Attached: AppImages rock.jpg (868x6656, 724K)

SteamOS

OpenSUSE. Easy to use, unironically good support and literature.
Also you can try assembling LFS, just to learn how GNU works.

I'm developing for windows and linux, so i'll be fine. I'll just dual boot with windows for any early testing.

not RPG maker, but it's more of a hobby i hope gets going.

i like how you think :). I agree games are popular enough to definitely be important and i'm really interested in them as an art form like you.

i don't get you baiters. you literally list the problems with linux and make fun of people for not wanting to waste their time on the problems of linux. proton is the way to go because it's not worth it developing solely for linux. it varies too much and is prone to breaking, like you just mentioned.

this guy is not me, i haven't released a game yet. it's hobby work atm.

i think i tried SUSE before and had the issue of it not using a big software manager so I had issues getting certain software. I don't remember, but thanks, i'll look into it.

Gentoo is good.

But it sounds like you're more of an unrooted Android/IOS kind of user.

This. Back to OP

i'll likely end up the ubuntu route. how concerned should i be about software using older versions though? I recall coming into some problems before where I had software of a newer version but it relied on a library of a different version than I could install.

Fedora. Stable distro with newer packages.

>i think i tried SUSE before and had the issue of it not using a big software manager so I had issues getting certain software. I don't remember, but thanks, i'll look into it.
You have to add one repo (packman) in order to get FreeType and codecs and stuff.
Overall it is comfy, one year without reinstalling in my hands means that OS is pretty idiot-proof.

packman -S

Not this pacman
en.opensuse.org/Additional_package_repositories
This one (pacKman)

KDE Neon

ububtu lts and never look back. if you need newer software you can try backports repo or goimg to the rolling release OR a PPA. dont fuck with niche distros and stop distrohopping. get a second smaller drive for wangblows if you insist on having weak willed moments.

another attempt at insulting windows by making linux sound hard. i need windows for testing because most gamers are on windows so it's best to test on there. good distrohopping point though

You are either underage or mentally retarded if you think that's an attempt to "insult windows by making linux sound hard". What exactly sounds hard about that post? You are never going to make it with that childish attitude.

if you are a gamedev I suggest using Windows so that you are working with the OS you're going to be developing for

Ubuntu is fucking garbage, which doesn't werk on my machine.
Why people still recommend this nigger piece of shit, while German quality or American systems exist?

yeah, that's mainly why i use Windows. But since my toolset works with Linux I want to dual boot. And my game isn't large enough to have cross platform issues imo, but we'll see

>. And my game isn't large enough to have cross platform issues imo
any game has "cross platform issues"
just develop on your target platform
why complicate things

>weak willed moments
idk how to help retards that insist on brainlessly pushing linux as being for superior people. you're projecting again too. at least be original if you're that much of a dumbass

Op is a fucking idiot

install gentoo

How pretentious, no wonder modern indie games are saturated with pretentious artsy games.

I was the same, getting tired of messing around with arch + tiling wm, but I've since tried manjaro and never looked back. Its my first time using kde for years, seems v decent. Sure its heavier than other DEs but if you're on a half decent PC you'll never notice. There are also other manjaro spins with i3 or awesome etc if you want a tiling wm.

manjaro.org/download/

Check out the various spins here if you like