/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Previous thread
>Read

>GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Programming questions?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Cheap electronics?
>How to activate any version of windows?
>Where can I get Win 7 or LTSB?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Attached: large.jpg (350x511, 29K)

Other urls found in this thread:

privacytools.io/#vpn
oo-software.com/en/shutup10
webmshare.com/NyjrN
gamingscan.com/best-external-graphics-card/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>shota
cringe

how do you determine if a video's framerate is variable or not with ffmpeg?

This is my Ryzen 2600x running stock while playing Black Ops 4 on mostly high settings/ultra settings with 16gb CL16 (it's 15 but didn't match the QVL) ram and on a 1070.

I get between 90-150 fps but wanted to know if the temps and clock speeds look fine.

Also for overclocking, what should I be watching for while gaming when I try it?

Attached: Ryzenmaster.jpg (1185x593, 111K)

Is there a reliable cloud service that lets you store ~60gb of storage for free with no time limits or exclusions etc?

>~60gb of storage for free
no

whats the best vpn

try ffprobe -hide_banner

I hear nord is good. Also check here
privacytools.io/#vpn

>Connect PC/Console to TV via HDMI
>Connect TV to audio receiver via Toslink
Will I get complete 5.1 surround sound this way, or will going through the TV limit me to stereo?

>shota
based

I have an old as fuck desktop PC with 1Gb of RAM, a Pentium 4 and a HDD of 180Gb. Is there something interesting I can do with it?

Attached: 15331386058.jpg (800x1000, 97K)

If I use dd to make s liveusb, would it use mbr or gpt by default?

What is the best software for windows 10 privacy and general de-bloating? I've used spybot antibeacon for a few years

what's a good HDD model for general home use? are seagate drives still plagued with reliability problems?

oo-software.com/en/shutup10

Attached: OwOShutUp.png (714x399, 73K)

depends on which bytes the image you dd has in the beginning section

>closed source
why do they keep doing this
is there no open source tool for that?

What incentive do they have to open it? The entire Windows ecosystem is proprietary by default, so it's not like it's out of the ordinary.
The opposite is true for GNU/Linux, which is libre by default, and applications that are proprietary on that platform tend to be an exception rather than the rule.

What do you mean?
What if I just use this command?
dd bs=4M if=/path/to/archlinux.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress oflag=sync

He's not talking about the dd options. He's talking about something built into the .iso file itself.

Alternatives to Handbrake?
There are some .mkv files that won't convert to mp4. Activity log says its the bitrate for the files

ffmpeg

So it's all depend on the iso itself? Then why can we choose mbr or gpt if we make a liveusb using rufus?

Beats me. I just read what he said closely. The phrase "bytes the image you dd has" in seems to imply that this is a characteristic inherent to the image (and isos are disk images).

How to do SICP exercises on emacs?
I just type my solutions on the scratch buffer and C-x C-e to evaluate the expressions.

my dad got a new isp. they gave him a router, i'd rather he just use the one he already has but the internet doesn't work with it. any way to get it to work? i tried cloning the mac address but that didn't work

Jow Forums, please be my computer repair. I've been getting a shit ton of page faults for seemingly no reason. I did:

>did sfc /scannow
>did dskchk or whatever its called
>wiped both ssd and hard drive and reinstalled windows
>made sure RAM was seated properly
>all RAM seems to register properly (showing up in sysinfo)

This did not happen until a while after I got a new SSD. It's a SanDisk 1TB, so I don't think it could really be that. The only options seem to be RAM or the SSD though. Please help.

Attached: Screenshot_1.png (826x664, 105K)

how do I pirate photoshop?

I'm trying to install Icecat on Arch. It has fucked up twice installing via yaourt. Does it have something to do with cc1plus? I never use the AUR so I don't know what the fuck is going on.

Forgot my screencap.

Attached: 2018-12-26-205422_2560x1600_scrot.png (2560x1600, 565K)

Upgrading from a 650W PSU to a 850W one soon(TM) because some games are starting to cause the desktop to shut off/I'm really pushing it.

In the meantime is the coil whine I'm hearing actually bad? It only happens on certain games

every gpu will whine at high fps

The whine is coming from the PSU itself. It only happens in HITMAN 2

Guys, why is BIOS not recognising my SSD?
I've replaced my DVD drive with an SSD and I've installed a new OS but it's still booting from HHD, Boot Manager is only allowing HDD and Network.

Yeah here's my stupid question of the day, why don't AMD drivers work?

Also can anyone give me pointers on how to describe this problem so I can better search through a search engine? Install AMD Driver: receive salt and pepper screen on reboot. RX 570, Win 7 x86_64. Absolutely none of the available drivers seems to work. Clean uninstall through AMD's cleanup utility or with DDU aren't improving anything. I'm going to download Win 10 and see if I can't get that to work, at least.

Linux works fine, btw.

Webmshare link because Jow Forums has a 3mb limit which is way too low. webmshare.com/NyjrN

unless its extremely cheap, it shouldnt whine. Normally "coil" whine goes up and down in pitch depending on fps

Rebuilt computer yesterday. Formatted wrong hard drive like a retard. Still have my OS/browser/basic shit on a separate SSD, but the one I formatted was both storage and less-vital program installs (games, mostly). Got a backup on an external hard drive both in the form of a disk image and the basic Windows-created backup for all my music/pictures/etc, but I can't get shit to detect the image and I really don't want to have to reinstall everything that was on that drive.

hi i am having a problem with javascript.
i am trying to transfer the key/values from one object to another. but once the first object disappeared the second object always reverted back to its default value. idk why.
//first object
let templateVars={};
//second obj
let query = conn.query(sql, (err, res) => {
templateVars=JSON.stringify(results);
});
console.log(templateVars);
//what ever 'result' was got deleted right after the query function ended.

how do i make templateVars equal to result??

It was a SeaSonic 650W Gold80. It matter for much longer anyway

WPD

every time I open a YouTube video itis scrolled halfway down. I always have to scroll up after clicking a video. pic related. literally every video I open does this. what is going on?

Attached: 5h.png (1632x898, 1002K)

ad blocker probably. If not that, Google likes to make things worse for non-Chrome users.

Anyone? Anyone?

I have a hard disk with Windows XP installed in it. I connected the hard disk to a new PC. The hard disk still works and I booted Wibdows XP, but my keyboard and mouse does not work at all because the OS doesn't have the drivers isntalled. Is there a way to boot Windows XP in my hard disk through Virtualbox or VMWare?

Can a buyer cancel payment if paypal is already holding the funds? Does it work as an escrow or can the seller just back out as soon as he gets the tracking number? Pls halp

Attached: 1507597647865.jpg (1078x862, 260K)

im curious if theres a difference in whine disabling/enabling vsync

by seller I mean buyer ofc

>no time limit, or exlcusions

Impossible. Companies can go defunct any time. This is why it's probably unwise to rely on just 1 storage source.

Mega.co.nz
>free 50gb good for storing things you want across all your devices

Google cloud storage
>cheap long term storage for backups

Amazon cloud storage
>even cheaper

I'd go with mega, unless you really are backing up things you'll need 10-20 years from now. Otherwise, free temporary storage with a sane policy is good enough.

how do i break javascript object?
like if i have let x=[{a:1,b:2,c:3}]
how do i change it to x={a:1,b:2,c:3} without the square bracket?

bought a second monitor, it will have to use a vga output. though when i plug it in, my graphics card doesn't recognize it, but it will recognize my other hdmi output monitor. not sure what to do?

bumping from previous thread, any help appreciated

Attached: 46dd096bd34f409f8e00190a0ce3eb04.jpg (800x593, 119K)

how do I reset my xfce completely to the default state including themes, panels etc the most simple way?
I overbloated the setup and i just want the vanilla look.

Tried a fresh Windows 7 install? Do you have SP1 installed and have any other important updates like the convenience rollups or servicing stacks? Might be a long shot but I remember reading that new AMD GPUs only work in UEFI systems but my RX 560 worked in an old x58 motherboard.

If I clone my cloned drive to a new ssd will I have gone too far?
I don't want to deal with reinstalling windows because when I changed motherboards my product keys stopped working and I had to let Microsoft tech support remote desktop me

Looking at computers and I'm so confused by all the numbers after the main computer part. Do they mean anything, or can I just ignore them and move on? Like I want to buy a intel i7 but there's several different versions, and I don't want to screw myself over by not paying attention.

Old man gifted me 500 for Christmas. I want to get a camera, is the Sony alpha a6000 a good starter camera?

Attached: 1299776825810.jpg (176x215, 11K)

Just bought a cheap RX570 and I'm struggling a little bit with drivers over here. It's been a while since I had a GPU I could play anything but minesweeper on.

Basically, the latest drivers (both optional and non optional) available which seem to add many settings are quite on the buggy side. It's always telling me to upgrade to the same version I have, always asking me to restart the PC (and it seems like it switches drivers at startup everytime) for which I have to disable the AMD external events utility, Radeon settings keeps closing itself even though it's set to appear on the tray and the overlay is quite buggy. Sure I love having some of those settings available to me ingame (like being able to change the saturation) but when it crashes I have to restart the computer because the ingame settings are applied everywhere and it's a mess.

Basically, I'd like to have a little bit more stable drivers even if I lose the fancy shit. Are there better drivers than these? Using 18.12.2. Before I bought this I thought AMD was stepping up with the ability to do things like undervolting ingame but it seems they are trying to bite more than they can chew (or maybe just some of their products are shit at working with these features, who knows).

all settings are saved in hidden folders in your home directory so look into what you need to delete (.config/xfce4/?)

what type of mouse am I looking to get if my hands sweat a lot? its not only the faster accumulated dirt, but also slowly, parts of the mouse are disintegrating/fading away making it look like it went through some rusting process in a span of half a year

Attached: 1g2cj6jui2j11.jpg (544x554, 42K)

I recently got a copy or RE4 UHD which I would like to mod but I've encountered a snag I can't find a fix for.
The mod in question is the HD project which re-does most of the textures in the game. In order to use it, you need to patch the game's exe to use 4gb of memory otherwise you'll crash like a bastard. It's simple enough to do - download another exe, run the program and patch the game's exe. However when I do it I can't launch the game afterwards. I get error code 0xc0000142. I've looked online and according to the help pages it makes cracked copies of the game not work. Is there a fix for this problem? Is there a version of the patch which does work with cracked copies? Or is there a pre-patched version available?

Attached: 1464008238234.gif (450x338, 852K)

If I build a program from source with the correct compiler for my architecture, the binary should work, right (provided it doesn't use any proprietary libraries)?
I'm thinking of install Gentoo on my ps3 because of Portage. I haven't tried Gentoo at all, but from what I've researched, it looks likes it would be the best bet for up to date software support and maximum street cred (autism). I'd use Debian if the repos weren't so goddamn slow (also systemd).

Taking my hard drive from my laptop and adding it to a desktop will carry over all the software and game saves I have on there right?

I'm looking for any advice that could make my goal easier:

I'm trying to get started on my project of downloading and preserving the client software of PC MMO games in their most fully-updated version. I'm just not sure what's the best way to do this.

My idea was to do an install of windows on a large harddrive, just install every goddamn MMO I have on this list of a thousand and update every client and continue updating them over time and monitoring a game's shutdown notice.

I've no programming experience, just many terabytes of storage and alot of passion. Would this be the best or only way to go about doing this?

Bumping my unanswered question from the last thread: How are the temps of recent gen NUC's? I'm still a bit torn between a NUC and the new mac mini but I've been curious to try MacOS. The only thing holding me back (besides the usual Apple premium you pay) is the temp issues but perhaps they're equally bad if you look at the NUC equivalent? I know the 8th gen Intel CPU's got a pretty bad rep when they were released with a lot of people delidding desktop CPU's etc. but it seems to have blown over and now people are upset about the furnaces they call the 9th gen Coffee Lake.

Yes, but if it's an OS drive you are bound to encounter issues with drivers etc. It's always best to do a fresh OS install.

Alright. Well wish me luck that sony vegas won't implode on itself.

To be honest I don't understand why people are so afraid of doing a fresh install, as long as you have some sort of storage (whether it be an external HDD, cloud service etc) creating a backup of your data only takes a short moment and the OS installation itself takes approx 20 minutes until you are up and running again and can import your backed up data. It avoids a hell of a lot of problems in the long run and I don't see any reason not to do it, other than perhaps extreme time constraint or just laziness (no offence).

I have a corsair void rgb pro and someone else in my house is also thinking about getting one. If he does would it mess up and would I get his audio or something where it would if I try to turn it on connect to his pc?

none taken, except I'm still a newfag when it comes to computers so I'm not really sure what to do regarding really anything. Does a fresh os install simply get rid of whatever os was on the haarddrive before, almost prepping it for whatever the new one is?

When will these Christmas caps go away? Can I do anything to get rid of them?

I asked this last thread, but I didn't get an answer to the main question:

When I get a VPN, how exactly is it meant to be used? Do I stick to the same IP for a bit and then only switch when I need to, or do I do it every time I launch the VPN?

What's the best "Wiki" site one would use to make their own wiki?

IDK if you can do anything about it, the ISPs router may use some proprietary protocol so it can work with the ISP's network, but sometimes it's easy to recreate the settings, for example an ISP here uses routers here require VLAN and having it set for it.
The best way for you to get that information is probably to inquire your ISP or ask in the local forums if someone else has tried to use it.

As an alternative you can use both routers, you can redirect all ports to your old router inside the network and connect all computers to the subnet ran by your old router, it would be like if the ISPs router was part of their network infrastructure

it depends on what benefit you intend to get out of it, obviously
are you trying to stop yourself from getting stalked by muh nsa or do you just want to copyright violate media in peace

if the code is written with portability in mind and/or the architecture doesn't do anything fucky, then sure

Gonna be in uni and want to be able to pirate in peace and just do things without the school ISP monitoring it or blocking anything.

I've just never used a VPN before, so I assume it's some kind of button toggle you don't have enabled 24/7; kind of like airplane mode.

is there an addon that combines 4channel and Jow Forums? at least for the navigation bar for boards and the catalog?

Considering the switch to iPhone from Android. Is there a complete list with everything that will bother me after the switch? Like you can't put numbers at the top of your keyboard, notifications not grouping, etc.

What's a good usb flash drive? Amazon reviews are making this hard for me ffs.

Just how long is SMART self-test extended? I tested my newly bought HDD, because I heard the best time to do this test is when you bought a new one, since if anything happens, you can just return it. But it doesn't seem to end, it's been almost 1 hour and it still at 10%.

Attached: 1539941680967.jpg (500x388, 39K)

You can enable that on the settings under navigation without installing anything.

Or if you want cool functionality install .Jow Forums-x

Attached: 2018-12-27-113932_381x416_scrot.png (381x416, 41K)

Any suggestions for a laptop for university? I'm not fully decided between medicine/surgery or comp sci. I don't need anything too powerful because I already have a strong gaming PC. I just need something versatile, reliable and good enough.

if you want it to last, business grade/workstation laptop
if you want it cheap, refurbished

my question is, is there such a thing as a kindle fire that doesn't have banner advertising on lock screen and shit? thinking of getting one for my mom since she already has prime so it'd be useful but don't want to give her some ad infested bullshit

zim

>Mega.co.nz
>>free 50gb good for storing things you want across all your devices
No, read no time restructions or exclusions. You get 15gb and 35gb EXTRA for signing up. It expires after 1 month. You can get extra space for referals,app signin etc BUT IT ALL GOES AWAY AFTER 180 DAYS.
>Google cloud storage
>cheap long term storage for backups
15GB but you sell your soul to the devil.
>Amazon cloud storage
>even cheaper
5gb for free, unless you sign up for prime, or pay

What's the /sqt/ opinion on tv boxes (I already asked on /csg/, not sure if someone will reply)? Should I go with the mi box 3 or there are any better options? My use would be only kodi and mostly pirated chinese cartoons (should I buy an external hd for this or a usb drive can do the job?).

why use a thumb/external, if kodi itself doesn't support using the libraries of stuff you've got on the computer, there's a plex addon for kodi.

>let
I can't tell what's wrong from your snippet but I bet it's this. let changes the variable scope to the enclosing block.

My bad, I meant I will use kodi and another player to reproduces the files I download.

what's the problem with buying a google home hub assuming I use the hardware mute switch everytime it's not in use

what's the point of it if you have to get up and go unmute it everytime you want to use it?

I need to connect an external GPU to my laptop. So far the only solution I have found is this Razor Core. Are there alternatives available?

Attached: razer-core-9564.jpg (830x467, 61K)

It'd mostly be unmuted unless I'm having conversations or anything like that, plus it'd be within arms reach on my desk

here man, peep this
gamingscan.com/best-external-graphics-card/

How do i remove all metadata/extra data from image files? png in this case

right click
properties
details tab
remove metadata

for batch striping use a tool like exif puge

I dont use windows.

then mat(metadata anonymizer tool) is the way to go

How the FUCK do I connect a wifi router to my FTTN NBN modem? You jews told me I could just plug it in and it would work since FTTN already includes a modem but it doesn't do anything. I put in the IP address my ISP gave me but it's not working. What the fuck do I do? They wanted to charge me $200 for a pre configured gigabit router when the connection is only 50/20, so I said fuck that and bought a $20 TP-Link router BUT IT'S NOT FUCKING WORKING. HELPP!!!!

Attached: 1539787770278.jpg (1242x1241, 100K)

Is there such a thing as digital hoarding? I find it difficult to delete just random shit like dumb screencaps. I have 2tb of storage and haven't run out of room yet, so I guess I don't have to worry about it yet?

Attached: IMG_0689.jpg (540x402, 102K)