Building Arch Linux

I fell for it

>Install arch linux in 10 minutes!
>1 hour later I still can't connect to the internet

How long does this shit realistically take before I can say browse the web? I am employed full time.

Attached: arch-linux.png (900x506, 61K)

>browse the web
Just as a baseline for having everything nice and tidy. Obviously I could vim a bunch of stuff right now

wat

> using linux outside a vm.
cringe

Just use Kubuntu

>using arch

Attached: 1535834228906.jpg (720x532, 65K)

Learn how to configure your internet retard

You can do it in like 10 minutes AFTER you understand what each step in the tutorial does.
The first time it took me hours.

>falling for the arch meme
Install Xubuntu

>installed arch on laptop ~6 months ago
>using at uni and outside of home
t. an absolute brainlet
if I can do it user you can too!

this
don't watch those videos unless you want to learn nothing.
Get on the wiki and take your time to understand each step.
>Pro tip: connecting to wifi should be the last thing you do, keep it wired

I have a MacBook with no ethernet. If you need to, get the wifi drivers installed and use netctl or wifi-menu to make a connection. Use the wiki. Unless your wifi card is just not supported, you can get it working.

OP is a faggot

Attached: 1545662539191.jpg (2170x1070, 518K)

Good guide, except yaourt and infanility are discontinued, he doesn't install pulseaudio (I can understand why, it's gotten pretty bad but most people would want to get it anyway), and Zsh is optional. Also the way he does swap seems weird to me.

OP just google how to set up wifi on arch it's not that hard. Arch always takes an hour or two to install the first time.

it's instant - you plug in your lan cable , it connects by itself
wifi-menu or wpa_cli if u need that

Just use a God damn GUI installer. What's a good GUI Arch installer, anyway?

hello is this berb?

I use 'nmtui' for wireless, and 'dhcpcd' for Ethernet. Try typing those in the terminal.

Attached: catgirldancing.gif (300x385, 3.92M)

Read arch wiki or if you're idiot enough watch a youtube video

Should add download alsa-utils imo

If you need a gui installer for arch you shouldn't be using arch, start with mint or something

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
arch-chroot /mnt
pacman -S networkmanager
systemctl enable networkmanager

My Arch install took less than 20 minutes and networking only took 2 minutes to setup. Just run dhcpcd and NetworkManager and you are good to go.

Not everyone can afford a Mac.

>How long does this shit realistically take before I can say browse the web?
It took me like 20 seconds to connect to the internet and a couple of minutes to download chromium.

Another thing it should add is some fonts to download, IDK how the other DEs are but XFCE doesn't come with any fonts and the terminal is barely even readable once you first boot into it.

kek brainlet

>I am employed full time.
Arch isn't for you bud

Use Manjaro - It's Arch for people who value their time

>I am employed full time.
That's where the problem is

Employed full time and installed arch just fine. Only took a bit longer than a Debian install the second time installing (on my laptop).

How is that "dancing"?

Archbang isn't GUI, but it streamlines the process with a CLI based installer. The downside is it comes with a whole bunch of packages already installed out of the box which you might not want.

Attached: file.png (350x284, 111K)

Why almost none of the suckless dwm patches work with vanilla 6.1?

Mate 1120 mb once installed. What the fuck. Fucking bloatware.

Install gentoo
>using windows outside a vm

Attached: 2018-08-26-035236_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.06M)

>Archfags can't set up wifi
lmao

Arch has the most bloated packages out of any distro.

Attached: arch is not minimalist.png (1169x3679, 513K)

This

the absolute state of archfags

SHUT UP GRINCH

NPC MEME GO AWAY, WE ARE HUMAN HERE TO STAY!

>having an xorg.conf

Attached: 2B7cho2.png (690x968, 900K)

Thanks fag I've been trying to use the wiki. I am using a wired connection currently.

Trying dhcpcd and fdisk but they are all 'not found'

I know

Is there some absolutely basic command to start shit up? I'm trying to use the commands in this thread but most are 'not found'

How to install Arch with Windows in dual boot without fucking Windows grub

I would worry more about Windows fucking Arch. Don't forget to disable fast boot or whatever it's called, that fucked up Arch for me.
Was on UEFI though

You fucked up somewhere. Likely didn't check if you had a functioning internet connection before the pacstrap. You can always boot up the arch iso again and chroot into what you have running now, then install additional packages.

Can anyone recommend any good gui installer or script to install Arch?

archlabs perhaps

I could recommned the Revenge Zen installer, but I dont know if it's safe to use.

Just use AUI, it's pretty comfy.

Thanks

Installation on another disk, and put grub on that disk. It won't modify MBR.

if you can't connect to the internet how did you make that post??

Attached: f22ab88eb7794baf80b5005f424591048375daea3a0e1f3b5f1e4c61e7d9d8ef.jpg (1600x1200, 171K)

Why dont you read the beginners guide on the wiki instead of posting yet another one of these threads?

He didn't say he didn't achieve it, just said it took him 1 hour to make it work.

>using a DE on Arch
>using the most bloated DE on arch
>literally cannot even type pacman -S networkmanger
why not use L-/Xubuntu??

Successfully install it on a VM first, then create a list of steps you can view during the install, then install it.

>using networkmanager instead of just dhcpcd
Enjoy the bloat

based

Attached: drumph.jpg (637x499, 130K)

Thanks for the rec friendo, it's not like I'm married to nm.

5 hours realistically, 8 if it's your first time

This is a dumb opinion, arch is not hard to use and there is no excuse for not having an installer in 2018

But isn't a GUI installer against arch's philosophy?

it may be but only neet faggots care about that

>using an OS on bare metal

>not be a zoomer retard
>Have computer wired to Ethernet
>Install arch
>Run a single command
>Net just works

USE ZEN INSTALLER

Do not i have never had a more fucked up arch install than when I use Zen inataller

>simple
>h-hh-a has nothing to do with minimalism
dude he clearly was being very defensive on the adoption of systemd, Arch linux is very minimalist regardless of what he says and his own explanation he mentions simple this being a synonym of minimalism and minimalism being a definition that started as term used in art.
I think that the adoption of Systemd was a mistake if we take in account how people use their distro, if people wanted a massive bloated install the would be using other distros. but they clearly integrated this element because they are lacy fucks, also this debacle about systemd was totally avoidable if the actual devs expressed their objectives for their software and not presenting it as a bootloader.

does anybody know where i can get an a manjaro 64bit iso with 32bit uefi. I can only get 32bit running on my baytrail tablet. I fuckin hate using windows 10 bloatware on 4gram 1.8ghz asus chink machine.

What a faggy """guide""", great way to get people who know nothing about anything to install Arch

I'd say it's pretty decent, minus a few complaints people already pointed out in this thread. What do you not like about it?

If it's not hard why do you need an installer?

Phone, another computer, another distro/OS. I would never go for Arch if that was my only device.

Not that user, however there aren't any steps on how to make a swap partition. I know this is common sense for us but a beginner won't know that.

Yea that's another good complaint, although someone in this thread already pointed that out. Someone should make a guide similar to that picture but fix the problems addressed in this thread.

Lmao 18 years later and lincucks still can't get wifi right

OP is just retarded and seemed to have fucked up his entire install. I set up wifi in like 20 seconds.

I'm actually making my own steps since I like reinstalling arch to experiment on my free time. I will make it sure to share once is finished

>realistically
10 minutes

Ethernet or wireless? See if running dhcpcd fixes it.

Only people who use Arch, if he used Ubuntu it would work.