Trying to learn x86 64-bit Assembly Language

I skipped over all high level languages because low level languages appeal to me more. Back in the day my being a zoomer faggot led me to own a Commodore 64 and fiddle around with it before whatever the fuck I did ruined the PPU.

Am I a moron for trying to learn Intel x86 assembly? I just find it more appealing than anything else, but every learning material I find is riddled with "And now we're gonna spend the next year coding in C++ and C# in Microsoft Visual Basic!" Which is the opposite of what I've wanted.

From what I have managed to learn, the Stack is still so god damn relative it hurts, and I'm good enough at Binary and Hexadecimal systems.

Is there a resource out there for tard children like me to learn this shit? Any help is appreciated.

Attached: My waifu because 4chan demands a photographic sacrifice..png (1920x1080, 853K)

puts some structure around assembly language

Attached: st.jpg (386x499, 35K)

You're not stupid for wanting to learn assembly, you're stupid if you think that it's a marketable skill tho

Thank you, I've added that to my Amazon wishlist
Less about being marketable, more about hobbyist.

>I-It's not marketable!
You do realize that assembly is still used for driver development, kernel development, reverse engineering, etc? Actually, given how few people actually know assembly and how it's still got it's niche, it is very marketable. Plus you can write large projects in it - some assembly code you can even write faster then in higher level languages where you have bureaucratic red tape you need to circumnavigate or go through to get what you need done.

Took a class with MIPS assembly and had to use x86 in a project the next summer. x86 is learnable but there's a number of weird stuff that I hated whereas MIPS was very simple and easy to learn.

If you're just starting out with assembly I'd recommend something simple like MIPS or another RISC assembly language.

don't learn assembly dude, at least become a C god before you even think about doing assembly.

I want to be 2B's roommate.

Attached: out.webm (1138x640, 673K)

Honestly he should be learning x86-64 assembly instead of either of those. It's easier then both of them and is actually used. Who the fuck even uses MIP's architecture outside of some meme phone or something? Far more real world applications for x86-64.
You can't become a C god until you become a master at assembly. ;^)

Fair, I don't think MIPS is used in pretty much anything nowadays but maybe a google search will prove us both wrong.
That being said, I'm in the camp that believes in learning easier languages before moving on to more complex ones. Even if he doesn't use MIPS I think any RISC language would be a better start to get your feet wet with assembly than a CISC language like x86. I think ARM is RISC but I don't remember.

Assembly makes you a C god because you know what the compiler will turn your C code into and can thus make better C decisions.

You only need a basic understanding to have an idea of what's most efficient. Even people who reverse engineer and work on operating systems don't actually write things in assembly very often.

fuck off cnile

Your forced meme is stupid, I'm 22 years old. C is the only usable language for the things you would consider assembly for.
Dude most of that shit is written in C. Most people are not capable of making better optimizations then modern C compilers. Nobody is looking for assembly programmers.

>do you realize that
>entire list of C stuff
only thing that assembly is used for in that list is some reverse engineering. some

Assembly is basic knowledge if you write high performance code even in modern projects. For example if you write AAA games (game engine), video codecs, compression algorithm, encryption algorithm or scientific projects. Then the obvious ones such as compiler optimization or implementation of drivers.

AAA games do not care for optimization. Javascript will become their most used language in the next 5 years and it'll all be 2 core.

>AAA
>not optimized

This meme again.

AAA games are pushing the boundaries of technology and I hope I'll get to work on one someday now that I've started learning cs.

If you want to learn assembly just do the assembly tutorials for software reverse-engineering / cracking. There's plenty of them online.
The tutorials consist of pre-compiled programs that come with instructions on what you must modify in a dissassembler to change the behavior of the program.

Also you can do the same thing yourself, compile a simple program in a high level language you know, then just open it in a dissassembler and play around with the assembly code / observe what instructions it translated to at the lower level.

LOL
no they are not. They're far from it
rollercoaster tychoon written in fucking assembly was the "boundery of technology"
using ANY form of engine that is not unique and specific to your game is not only far from boundary, but it is as lazy as you can get.
Blizzard is an example of a company that does specific engines for their specific games and actually optimizes them.

>bureaucratic red tape
Very specific things are harder to do in C, it doesn't compare.
In those cases, you can just insert assembly instructions, but often you need to write more documentation than code in those scenarios anyway.