Got a new "2 in 1 router/switch", connects through DSL, apart from the look of it and the configuration parts...

Got a new "2 in 1 router/switch", connects through DSL, apart from the look of it and the configuration parts, the one thing that stood out was..

It gave each device PERMANENT PRIVATE IP addresses.

The last router didn't, I mean obviously the new switch might just works differently with how it locates devices connected to it.

> It's a free router given by the ISP when they set up DSL

The ISP blocks many sites it doesn't want you to access and the Router is rebranded and modified greatly to include things like their brand logo, the colors, a language other than english, and possibly even log and send stuff like NAT data if that's a common thing to do.

The router doesn't allow you to access the configuration page (except for the initial setup page), it gives 2 blanks for username and password, but it doesn't give defaults, and they don't tell you the defaults.

>1. Why give permanent private IP addresses?
I really think they're keeping track of every device "just in case", and they most likely receive logs of it all

>2. Is it possible for the router to block sites in and of itself? or is that a thing solely done by their DNS server or otherwise?

>3. Do I have the right to access the router's configuration page?
It's not on a lease, as far as I know, they gave it to me for free and I doubt they'll be taking it back if we cancel

>4. I'm not paranoid, alright? It's just the previous router was SO MUCH better.. CLEARLY.

**If you have anything else to say about this, please do, in the meantime, I'm gonna start scanning for stuff, see what I find.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.png (325x305, 114K)

how did you establish the private IPs were permanent?

by checking them daily??
until one day I tried resetting the router, NEW ips were given to each device, but stayed that way ever since

What isp?

are you talking about ipv6 or some shit?

no. ipv4.

It would make more sense to use mac address for spying

It's not an american internet service provider, or any western internet service providers, and neither is it european.

Yeah but like, say someone using this type of router was a malicious hacker (probably wouldn't use it then), if the dynamic public ip address is recorded somewhere, the ISP can check their logs, then check the private IP's to find out which device is what.. see what i'm talking about here?

That's a fucking Dhcp you idiot.

Ip lease is probably set to a month, and it renews the same ip if possible.

If your router is locked down there is almost nothing you can do. Unless you get some luck with the custom firmware sites.
Probably check local forums about it.

>mac address
i don't think op is a macfag idiot

I giggled.

Attached: 1482984154073.png (958x660, 16K)

it's DHCP then change the fucking ip on the computer wtf

I know i can manually give my machine it's own different private IP, it's the fact that the router gives everyone a permanent that, either that or the lease time is REALLY REALLY LONG.

the question is : why is this so?? is this normal?? do you have this on your OWN Router??

holy crap

nearly every router gives sticky dynamic buddy. The only time it would change an IP is if the machine is turned off & another computer takes it's IP address.

does anyone here know what
"hga home gateway application software"
is?

if it's true what I learned so far, Tilgin (the manufacturer of the router) works with the ISP that gives these routers and uses "hga-home-gateway-application-software"

which is like remote control firmware download that the isp can use to remotely control the router..

either that or I still need to learn more, if anyone here knows more, please educate, thanks.

I know that. But that's not the case here.. do whatever you like to the machines connected to this router, switch them on and off a million times..

>every single time I turn on the devices I have, they ALL have the same IP address as they did when they were on the last time, THEY ALL USE DHCP, i'm not setting any static ip address manually here..

It's like the router is setting static ip addresses that never change for the device unless you reset the router and not dynamic ones that change for each devices every now and then..

it's also really weird, it has WPS enabled, but when you try sending a pin, WPS is locked.

yea that's normal, as I just said
Where is that different from what I said? That's basic sticky dynamic.
The only reason they'd change is if a different device already has that IP they used to have.

did you press the button?

I know that at least one popular linux dhcp server (udhcpd?) hashes mac addresses by default and is implemented on routers sometimes

Is there any way to actually change your home IP?

I've left the thing unplugged for months while I was on vacation and I still get the same one.

All I get when ask is "Haha woah kid your first computer LOL" and then meme answers that dont even "work on my machine:)".

I anticipate the same here but I'm asking.

Yes you have to change the mac address on the router port and it'll usually change the IP. You might also have a static one.

To clarify you have to power off the modem. (or unplug it preferably)
go into the router settings, change the WAN port mac address to anything else other than what it is and it'll work fine. But.. most routers can't change that. Usually have to SSH into them but sometimes they just can't do it either way. You'll need any opensource firmware or a ubiquiti router.

Yeah I have a static one.

Alright, thanks for the starting point instead of telling me to type release renew for the 200th time.

If it's static that won't change it at all. you have to call them to change it.
>release renew
That won't do anything, your computers are irrelevant to your IP address rofl

So there is no way to change it and these edgy kids have been posturing the whole time?

Guess I got baited damn... the long con.

I have changed my ip using release renew but this was on dial up.

Yea dial up used your computer for the modem, it was built into the phone jack that made insane sounds. Also with the DHCP when you logged off of it someone else logged on and took your old IP, and you then re-dialed and got a new, different IP. so the release / renew took out your old one from cache forcing the machine to request a new IP
when you do the mac address change on your router the ISP equipment effectively things you have a different device entirely so they treat it as such and give you some random new IP

when you have static, some poor bastard literally manually set your IP so they have to manually change it.

most routers have a mac-ip table which, until all the ip addresses in your subnet have been assigned, will remain unchanged.
once the last ip, let's say .254 in a /24, is assigned and a new device connects the router will then start assigning previosly used ip addresses of devices which aren't online