Deb, rpm, ebuild, snap, archives

>deb, rpm, ebuild, snap, archives
This is why linux will never be a household OS

Attached: images (20).jpg (384x384, 14K)

>.exe
>.msi
>.bat
>whatever they use in the windows appstore
At least with linux you stick with one

Linux will only ever be a household layer if a distro like Ubuntu gets a built-in Windows compatibility layer.
I installed Linux on my uncle's laptop after he wrecked it with viruses. It works without a hitch and he has had no issues BUT his download folder is filled with hundreds of exe files.
You have to understand that normies install software by going to the producer's website, downloading an exe/msi, and double clicking on it. Even this is too much for some.

Oh no! It'll never be the year of the Linux desktop!
Seriously, who came up with that crap? Since when is it important that your OS is popular as long as it works for you?

>.msi, .bat
>relevant to normie users
Pick one and then dont pick another

>Gaymers
>Not normalfag tier people

just make deb, it's the standard

I want a normie supported eco-system

Why though?

Because most software I use assumes windows is the only operating system ever.

more available software (muh gaymes), better hardware support, more innovation, because more people will be working for the linux eco-system

>deb, rpm, ebuild, snap, archives
>relevant to the normalfag ubuntu user

A single Linux distro has a single package format

.msi is definitely relevant

Forget the household, when will Linux become an office OS?

Attached: find_1_(one)_Linux_workstation.jpg (1200x800, 1.03M)

The best chance of Linux to kill Windows is to perfect Wine (or similar solution).

You are not killing Windows by taking its developers any time soon.

But make software seamlessly work on Linux and you killed it.

(And no, it's not seamless if it works eventually, I'm talking pure seamless, no "Wine ...exe", no "fix quirks", no "setup wine for this app in a special way", no "wait for wine to be fixed").

Wine is a piece of trash and the Church of Stallman hates it. They are idiots. If it worked it would kill windows.

Perhaps something like Microsoft's "Windows subsystem for Linux" but in reverse would be better.

In any case, perfect Wine or "Wine" and you killed Windows.

PS. A good example case is the ton of Controller software that use HIDs on Windows like DS4Windows. Perfect Wine for one of them and tons of Windows software that uses hardware/HIDs will automatically work. That's a tremendous gap in the "market" right now for gaming.

wtf, i love valve now

As always - when it will have software.

No need if they followed my vision

i just want to play fortnite on debian without wine or any other extra crap

Linux has iffy software for stuff like graphics but its office capabilities are actually really good
The problem is unironically boomer bosses who can't handle when an icon moves on their desktop. They will NEVER switch
There's nothing wrong with just liking Windows more or using it in areas where it's more appropriate, but in this case Linux is better suited for it and you'd spend a LOT less money on it

>when an icon moves on their desktop.

I fucking hate that. Like the recent Firefox where they moved everything around. Same shit, just new places.

Kinda like the car I just bought, where the gas and brake pedals are switched. God being old sucks.

t.actually an old shit

>going to the producer's website, downloading an exe/msi, and double clicking on it
IT technician here
this is how you should actually do it
download it from the trusted official source and double click it to install
not hunt it on unofficial third party ppa repos or cloned source code repositories

>not using choco

not everything is available on the chocolatey network

Well it will get software then I guess.
different in my post.
How this WSL thing is actually working? Is it just a linux hyper-v WM or you can run linux binaries just like common exe's with it? And is it good or not?

Not sure about "a lot less money" part. If you use something that is not SUSE EL or RHEL then you will need a more skilled admin, that will, of course cost you more. Trainings for workers (because everybody is so used to win office, etc). Really not sure about money part.

> How this WSL thing is actually working?
It's windows kernel binary support. It does not require the hypervisor bloatware.

It's also pretty seamless, for console software at least, as long as a literal distro runs.

Well the ones who created snap and flatpak are retarded, appimage is a better solution for different distros.
And what's more of a problem, the software devs instead of offering a sane portable compiled program in a zip file, they put a fucking mirror for a specific distro (Ubuntu), instead of a proper zip folder with the compiled program and its dependencies. It's on the distro developers to package that software themselves and put it on their mirrors, not on the upstream developer.
That way people of any distro with the proper updates could run the software by just extracting the software and clicking on the executable file, like Tor. They got it right. Everyone else should follow that example which is even simpler for the upstream developers than writing and building a deb file. It even has an auto update function. Just like windows. In windows I guess is common knowledge to move those portable folders to the system programs folders, you could do the same on Linux.
But no, everyone has to be fucking leet and use link to shared libraries on a specific distro so it doesn't work on other ones. If you are an upstream developer who does this on your program fuck you, get your shit together and stop selling your ass to a specific distro.

>morons can't into my OS
>this is somehow a bad thing
Thought Linux users were supposed to be intelligent.

Attached: 1535031254509.png (300x250, 18K)

>dnf

Attached: ea227183fd35b064640eff12f796a4e3.jpg (795x530, 127K)