Engineer who likes 2 code

i'm a ((licensed engineer)), aka an engineer of the ((real)) variety. all you software "engineers" can fuck off back to your latte and your javascript

for any respectable professional software devs and computer scientists that might be reading this, how often do you see an engineer (mechanical/electrical/whatever) transfer over into the software side?

i'm aware of the engineer spaghetti code/VBA meme but so far ive been able to write decent, optimized and readable software according to the inhouse devs. i mainly write in C, Python (i'm aware this contradicts the last sentence), and some basic things in Assembly for firmware.

most of my coding is for numerical analysis stuff including finite element solvers, some workflow/database automation tools, signal processing, etc.. would any of you advise me continuing to pursue this hobby as a career or would that be something I would likely regret?

I don't want to delve back into academia, would a boot camp be worth it for the resume or is that for the aformentioned latte sipper variety of code monkey?

I feel like my next step up would be to get into C++ but every time I look at it the syntax makes me want to kill myself in comparison to the languages I use normally.

What about the rust/lisp memes? I don't see them going anywhere professionally for 10+ years

Attached: 1543801136462.jpg (540x390, 25K)

I thought you were making copypasta at first

learn ruby

this

go fuck yourself OP. engineers make terrible programmers. i'd suggest learning javascript fag

REEEEEEE. I'm a software engineer, and I need you to not pursue this. You will seriously threaten my job. REEEEEEEEEE

i would unironically as I like it but I feel like it, eve combined with rails, doesn't do anything better than Python 'n shiet. kinda hate python tho

where did the ((real)) engineer hurt you?

unironically this is now the treatment im getting from the inhouse devs after I developed a tool (in pajeet.NET) and replacement RDBMS now used by 100s of scientists across 3 continents

Yeah, there ain't shit to writing software. If you can access problem solving principles, then writing software is butt fucking trivial, you just have to slog through the syntax of whatever language you are trying to use.

> all that reddit spacing
since you've come here acting like a pretentious cunt, the only thing I can recommend for you is to get into a fucking oven so you can be GASSED. you're nothing but a dribbling spastic.

>he's proud of being a bootlicker to a hyper regulated field
here's your fish

only worse coders than engineers are scientists

>writing software is all about the syntax
thanks for keeping my job safe

butt mad plebs who can't into anything. Keep it pleb Jow Forums

If you already know C and Python don't bother with C++. Check out Fortran and Go. People meme about Rust but it's not going to be super useful to you at sub-10kLoC projects.

still working on that fizzbuzz i see

yea it turns out the set of rules that allow you to write software within a paradigm is a big part of programming

Attached: brainlet.jpg (638x1000, 92K)

>unironically recommending Fortran and Go

No, you tart. Really parse out that sentence. It's saying, if you have problem solving skills, and know how to put together solutions for physical or abstract problems, then all that's left when it comes to creating a solution that will run on a computer is to learn how to write it out in a programming language. Programming is pretty straight forward, it's the logic and path to the solution (i.e. proving your solution is correct) that is where the real work comes into play.

Sorry you haven't grasped this about programming yet, I know I know, pointers are tough.

This is bad advice all around. Fortran has been replaced by python large in part in scientific computing. If you understand C, head towards modern C++. It solves a lot of the problems that C creates when your projects get large. Really pay attention to C++17, and don't get stuck using C++ without a modern approach.

Golang is great, but it's a young language, and subject to change. Hit Go if you really get into C/C++, because it's strongly rooted in C/C++ paradigms, and can be a lot of fun to write.

>tart

let's calm down with the vicious name calling sir.

and it's not just about muh ((problem solving skills)), it's about putting a problem and its solution into an abstract process and then putting that process into computer logic or a higher level of abstraction similar to computer logic such as a high level language.

this in itself is not easy and takes time to learn. you need to know how things are happening at the language level and what the compiler or interpreter is doing with the code you give to it (i.e. something may be typed or run well before you thought it would based on the placement within the code, etc)

Attached: naughty.jpg (600x760, 59K)

no engineers = no bridges
no software engineers = no global economy

>he thinks hes a real engineer and the global economy runs on the JSON he farts out and not petroleum products

Attached: 1543781730597s.jpg (125x105, 2K)

pic related

I'd just put it out there, that if you can get through an actual engineering program, then following the state of a program is not going to be too difficult. Nor is understanding how a computer represents a number, or stores instructions. I would agree that that someone transitioning from mechanical engineering will not be blazing through writing a kernel patch... but honestly... most CS graduates couldn't write a kernel patch either, or do numerical analysis. My experience with CS students is they struggle with the basics of calculus, and somehow think they are are going to write a game or similar. God bless unity, amirite CS students?

I prefer Unreal, myself.