Why do zoomers hate SQL so much?

Why do zoomers hate SQL so much?

Attached: upsert-clause.gif (786x227, 13K)

real boomers love nosql xBASE
before nosql come in fashion

Attached: CPM_CLUB6.png (1066x554, 43K)

Not a zoomer, but SQL is weird; it doesn't work like procedural languages, which are by far the easiest to understand at first. Couple that with the ubiquity of ORMs, there's no reason to learn it until you really *have* to.

That said, I work with SQL all day every day at my day job, and it's one of the handiest tools in my bag. I encourage everyone to learn it, even if it isn't directly related to your job.

Being able to inspect database contents for bad data which is exposing bugs is super useful.

ORMs are to SQL as Dreamweaver is to HTML

I have no idea what it actually is but we're a small office of 3 people and when we had to upgrade our old 5-year old Dell server the software we use for work requires SQL licenses which cost as much as the rest of the server combined.

We considered alternative software that doesn't need SQL to work but there was nothing as good.

SQL is for storing boomer data. It's almost 2019 so you should know MongoDB by now

Because they've been around long enough to know niggas hack the fuck out of it

Because its kinda tricky and you need to actually know realtively deeply how shit works, also the dialects affect all kinds of behaviour.

Then seemingly simple stuff like indexes is so full of exceptions and stuff you just need to remember. For example IIRC , LIKE forces the comparison to be a string comparison, and may add some implicit function that fucks up index usage. It kinda makes sense that it uses string comparison and then not using index also makes sense, but its really not obvious from when you read the statement.

>He fell for the mongodb marketing

Attached: 1545674387731.png (347x319, 219K)

Because it's a solution looking for a problem. Sure, you can represent many kinds of data using table relations, but most of the time you really shouldn't.

xBASE

>table relations
just social construct

SQL is a language, it's not software.

Your mom is a social construct.

You mean NoSQL? SQL has been around since the 70s

Relational databases are the reason all professional software is slow as fuck.
As in: taking 15 minutes just to generate a .csv dump.

Zoomer here, used it in some projects. I guess it's ok, it works like regular expressions, just for tables.
But does it actually need commands to be written in full caps? It's tedious to type em out that way.

Relax, take a nap, take a breath of fresh air and read my post again.

most IDEs etc will have some functionality to automatically capitalize key words.

nah, all my sql is written in lowercase

(I've mostly worked with MySQL and PosgreSQL, maybe it isn't the case in some other commercial DBs)

Well we are paying for something with the name SQL on it. It's very expensive.

Cool bait, I fell for it

Well you're being scammed then. Enjoy this being taken directly from your salary.

How about you use an open source sql server like 99.99999% of small-medium enterprises do.

It's just your database software.
It has "SQL" in the name because it's some kind of SQL database.

SQL databases range from free to very expensive.
The more expensive ones might be slightly faster.

I don't decide what type of SQL we need.
The people who make our software we use at work decide that.

best beginners book on SQL?
i'm starting a new job and it has a ton of it.

Attached: IMG_4891.jpg (4032x3024, 954K)

>the software we use for work requires SQL licenses which cost as much as the rest of the server combined
>SQL licenses

Attached: e0e.jpg (642x756, 57K)

>Well we are paying for something with the name SQL on it
maybe you meant Microsoft SQL Server?

>best beginners book on SQL?

Attached: 41HbPnGDM9L._SX408_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (410x500, 29K)

I'll never understood why you people insist on purchasing books for documentation when the Internet is available and probably has far more up to date and accurate information than a book from Litch Rallyhew.

some peoples microscopic brains can only understand things in physical form

Most ORMs are more like exporting a Word document to HTML.
The generated queries I've seen...

Attached: 1534393312848.jpg (600x338, 25K)

It's probably SQL Server. If your database is smaller than 10 gig you might get by with free edition.

SQL language uses different concept compared to anything else in use today (except Prolog)

Attached: 1543007882017.jpg (1080x1099, 295K)

I've wondered this myself. I think part of the reason they don't like SQL is because its harder most of the time to set up an environment / example SQL database to practice with. Most NoSQL databases don't really require you to learn another language and are pretty simple.

I actually like SQL so I am always a little bit taken back by the great lengths some people will go to avoid using SQL when it makes perfect sense to use in many situations. Probably the most reasonable complaint I hear about SQL and agree with is its syntax. I think it was a mistake to use human readable English / statements to build queries. I think it would have been better to use relational algebra instead.

Attached: 1540581215403.png (661x688, 776K)

Really? I've been in the SQL dev world for 5 years and just recently touched into the NoSQL side. ETLs that suck up flat files using SQL seem a lot quicker than the processes were trying with noSQL that ingest stuff like Word docs. I've seen the advertised benefits of HDFS but have yet to see them come to fruition. It could be a case of "I'm used to this so I find it easier" so don't take my word for anything. I can see NoSQL being easier for non developers as it seems a lot of the tools we use already have built-in functions that require little to no tweaking.

Because it's absolutely shit to embed it in other applications

It's boring, repetitive shit and its only purpose is to store and retrieve data.

>team of 3 people
>paying for SQL database
you need a tech consultant who isn't named Pajeet

Exports are slow when you need to join dozens of tables.

And this happens a lot because of normalization.
Recently I had to join 7 tables just to translate some system names into display names.
That system has about 400-500 tables in total.
Extracting a few thousand objects takes minutes and causes timeouts on the API so you have to do them one-by-one which takes ten times longer hurrah.

This is what a data warehouse is for, run the extract and denormalize to the warehouse overnight

My job has this problem. We have almost a thousand tables. It also doesn't help that it has shit attribute names.

Also the main guy who does the queries doesn't speak English.

I like SQL but like most things you learn by doing. Beginner books make too many assumptions about your privileges and offer non-answers.

It’s not too bad, just boring. It was easy to use if you just thought about what wanted to do for even a second. SQL developer made everything easy to use too

This has nothing to do with SQL but with the choice of DBMS and design. As mentioned by , any decent data warehouse can do millions of records easily and I'd say decently designed popular database are capable of joining tables without timing out too.

I work with it everyday. Pretty comfy especially when i can quickly script sales data for upper management.
Report writing can also be kinda fun.

they probably use Oracle and have like massive tables.
Was working on a relatively small company and grandpa SysAdmin had to print out all the tables in A2 files to see them all. they bought him a second monitor after several months stretching those papers around the desk

mid gen zoomer here; sql isn't too bad. i've used memedb as well though and can see the appeal of both (although i think sql encourages better design practices and would probably work better long-term). that being said mysql is a featureless piece of shit and i still wish for oracle's death

INNER JOIN INNER JOIN INNER JOIN INNER JOIN
>get it or lose

Do you have problems with joins user?

The nosql thing was started by bomers and made by boomers and used by boomers and complained about by boomers and blamed on everyone else by boomers.
Millennials are crybaby boomer bloat.

SQL is fine, literally learned it in stat.
t.20