/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X or i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1050 3GB (bad value), RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: serveimage.png (1389x500, 2.55M)

Other urls found in this thread:

patreon.com/posts/amd-radeon-rx-22728627
pcpartpicker.com/user/desperaddos/saved/DV9dXL
pcpartpicker.com/list/w7FXBb
pcpartpicker.com/list/cPWrCb
linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any word on cheaper IPS monitors in the next year? Thinkin' about finally moving beyond 1080p/60fps

>1080p
>GTX 1050 instead of 1060
Nice garbage OP

WAIT FOR ZEN2

dummy, the rx cards outperform the 1060 and 1050 is the poorfag poorfag's card

>Ayyyymdick anything
Yikes

based
12 more days until CES

Not everyone is an amerimutt

Microcenter has 2700x on sale, should I buy now or wait for CES?

I hate it when the "mini" version is bigger than the "micro".

WAIT FOR ZEN2

$20 says CES doesn't even give you a launch date for Zen2.

x post:

Miracle Whip is a better thermal paste than mayo.

I got that CPU for ~100 USD off retail and didn't pay tax. Read the part list and post, don't just spam "wait for xyz"/threadpolice

(You)
Guess it's alright.

>Another 2 years, and it has more vram than the 970.
2 years ago 3.5gb vram was just fine for 1080p, today it's not. A badly optimized game is roughly equivalent to a somewhat demanding game in Q1 2020(AC:Odyssee compared to Division or Wildlands at release). patreon.com/posts/amd-radeon-rx-22728627

Buying a 1070 or even Ti at full price right now is going to get you at best another 2 years at 1080p with a med/high/ultra settings mix to get above 60fps and not even solid since micro stutters are always a gamble and only overkill hardware can somewhat negate that.

fuck you hater troll

>worse fps than 9600k
Lmao at your life.

>2 years ago 3.5gb vram was just fine for 1080p
games havent even changed from 2 years ago
>Buying a 1070 or even Ti at full price right now is going to get you at best another 2 years at 1080p with a med/high/ultra settings mix to get above 60fps and not even solid since micro stutters are always a gamble and only overkill hardware can somewhat negate that.
Thats the dumbest post I've seen. So according to you everyone should only buy a 2080?

wait for navi

Just buy a 2070 go- I mean dude

I finished my build but the PSU is missing. I don't really know which PSU fits in my PC. PcPartpicker also shows an error with my build. What did I do wrong. I saw a lot of builds with this mainboard and SSD.

pcpartpicker.com/user/desperaddos/saved/DV9dXL

The GPU is an old one of me. I want to use it now and maybe replace it later this year. I was thinking with a GTX 1060 6GB or a GT 1070 8GB. Which GPU would fit for the 970 and which one if I will upgrade?

No
never
just buy the xb271hu there won't be any new 1440p 144hz monitors

Ok. I don't even know you or care so laugh the night away.

Wait lad

>So according to you everyone should only buy a 2080?
No, but you need to know what you want to achieve and shop accordingly. Don't buy a 1070 now and expect it to last until 2020 delivering 60+, almost-ultra settings at 1080p in the most demanding games. In general, don't buy full price hardware 2 or 3 years into its cycle - unless of course the card is only a stop gap or you can find it at an insanely low price.

>put gpu through stress test for 20 mins
>just fine
>newest, recommended AMD drivers keep crashing my fucking games

Why did I fall for the amd meme, pcbg?

Specs are Vega 56, i5-6500 (yes I know. It's old and I'm waiting for ces)

Tried it on the 2019 adrenaline driver and the older recommended one, both from this month. I experience crashing on both.

What are your thoughts about Dell Ultrasharp monitors? I'm thinking about buying one, 27 inch IPS 1440p (no gaming, internet, reading, programing etc...), you recommend me this monitor? There are other better alternatives from other brands?

Attached: 51zn0Ss3zvL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x985, 59K)

Avoid AMD, they're garbage
stick to Intel and Nvidia

The U2715H is amazing
I'm using the U2312HM and it's just fucking great. Can't wait to upgrade it next year
>no gaming, internet, reading, etc
what on earth will you do with it owo

Too late nigger. Also their processors at the very least are a great value and will btfo intel next year most likely.

Is there any reason to get a motherboard bigger than mATX?

You should get a 2070 instead, great value right now
pcpartpicker.com/list/w7FXBb

I meant that i'm not going to game with the monitor but internet, reading, etc yes.

>next year most likely.
We'll see, but I dont think intel is going to sit idly by and watch their empire crumble, expect some real punches to start in 2020-21, A full 3-4 years after Ryzen first reared it's head. When they've had time to actually implement significant architectural and or process node advancements.

i reccomend a gtx 1070 ti, while it's still in stock. much cheaper for only a few less frames

>wait until 2020

Irrelevant for me when I'm building next month. I'll even use a current ryzen if they're not getting released next month.

I dont hate Intel but AMD is at least doing well competitively as far as processors go.

Do NOT wait fir CES because nothing of relevance will be announced. Buy NOW, and buy a reliable product from Intel or Nvidia.

Do you get better performance from turning off the threads on a ryzen 2600?

I was watching a video and the guy said you get better core performance if you shut off threads.

Whoops, you're right. They're about the same price here so I didn't check, yeah he should get the 1070 ti

This. Don't fall for the amd meme. Cheap stuff will cost you more in the long run.

You already get better performance than anything Intel in that price range

If you're doing 144hz gaming you're a bit foolish, but its your money, you can always use it as a reason to justify upgrading again in 1 or 2 generations.

guys i fell for the ryzen 3 2200g meme, I got a 1060 for christmas and the 2200g is bottlenecking it, what do?

Should have gone intel from the start, poorfags never learn

you can't build a brand new intel system for 300 bucks owo

God, I'm a fucking idiot. Accidentally made a post related to this as a new thread instead of a reply. I blame my exhaustion.

First thing I did when I woke up is I went out to replace my dead PSU, didn't even eat breakfast. Still haven't, but my PC is in working order now. Bought the TX850M, because it was the best I could really afford.

Sorry for causing trouble, anons. Thanks to all of you for your advice.

Attached: 1509196879219.jpg (300x300, 13K)

Who makes better mobos between gigabyte and msi?

how is this looking?
pcpartpicker.com/list/cPWrCb
or should i strix 2070 (+$96) instead for a bit more frames?

disregard freesync as this is the only monitor with specs that meets what i want. i don't care for gsync.

gaming/streaming

Attached: prcies.png (195x163, 3K)

Just ordered a 9900k, what kind of temps can I expect at stock (non-OC'd)? I don't plan on OCing straight out the box, but damn near every benchmark I'm seeing of the 9900k is of torture tests when OC'd.

Attached: 9900k.png (2000x2000, 430K)

>ryzen
>vega 64(the shit version to boot)
user...

I know but I feel like I can go higher than the base clocks with the stock fan.

Also because core performance boost puts it to like 1.45ghz a lot and I'm not sure its supposed to go that high.

>xb271hu
umm, i'm seeing $200 cheaper IPS displays that are 1440p and 165 Hz

probably like 60 when gaymin with a noctua airâ„¢

WAIT FOR ZEN 2

Man if you go up to 1440p CPU is pretty meaningless. Got that Sandy Bridge and 1070ti build.

i5 9400F
Who's with me?

CPU is meaningless UNLESS you're play Mount & Blade: Warband, Dwarf Fortress, or Crusader Kings 2.

I do not.

Isn't CK2 a text game?

why the fuck 1050ti prices are going up and not down?
you guys telling me is garbage all the time, I was patiently waiting it to drop in price, why is not happening?

Because it's a meme for value gamer builds.

Don't worry about the memes, it only gets hot when using all cores+oc in extreme torture tests.

Just get a 1060 when 1160 drops and everyone panics.

What dumbass is actually gonna buy zen2?
Wait for zen3

need low wattage for my shitty dell proprietary PSU
don't care about AAA games, just need something better than a hd4600

lol zen 3 will still suck compared to Intels current gen, wait for zen 4+, maybe that will stand a chance

Should have got a dell with an ATX PSU dumbass

I've build my second PC yesterday. I've bought the Cooler Master Masterbox Lite 5 RGB but it's a real pos making WAY TO MUCH noise.
I'm considering going back to my Fractal Focus G, very simplist but quiet, or going for the Corsair Carbide Spec-05. Any feedback on this one ?

Attached: 11-352-067-V01.jpg (640x480, 34K)

Attached: AR201803010137_g2.jpg (550x550, 40K)

No PSU shroud this is my dream

it's an used optiplex you fucking retard, I already stated I don't care about a high end gpu

Yes, with a lot of processes.

Zen 2 for consumers: Ryzen 3000 Q3 2019 coming Q3 2019.

screencap this

I wouldn't buy any graphics cards until after CES.

Poolaris is old
Vega is old
Pascal is old
RTX is a waste of money.

Just wait bros, wait for zen 8+ ... and navi 6+ ...... just keep waiting .... amd will deliver this time for sure .....

When getting components for my new build I realised that the gpu might have been too fucking long to fit an aio in front of it. Saw people saying its a really tight fit. Does that space between the aio and the gpu really affect temps that much? Should I buy a bigger case for twice the money just so I could have an inch or so of space inbetween or should I leave it as it is?

Thanks dude. Is the PSU good I thought EVGA PSUs are bad or is it a meme?

A lot of used Optiplexs have ATX PSUs. Should have done your research.

Will i5 9400 be soldered?

which is a good one with monochrome/matte black aesthetics

i just considered vega 64 since the last thread had mentioned it a few times to other anons

I can definitely wait, just looking for an opinion on the specs/parts based on gaming/streaming

i want to add possibly stream at 900p60 at the most
the most taxing game i have at the moment is MH:W

It's tier 2 aka good, every brand has bad models, this is a good one

You anons were right, replaced the stock cooler and gained seven points on Cinebench CPU. She ran 10 degrees cooler during the test, and precision boosted up to 3.75 instead of 3.7. Cheers

Attached: tumblr_llkn56ROIE1qj9vl2o1_400.gif (400x222, 491K)

Thanks dude you really helped me! Is there a powerlist of all the PSUS? And do you know whats the problem on my pcpartpicker list is?

no, what's the point? you can't overclock it and it's not gonna generate that much of a heat anyway

Ok good point. But will it be cheap?

>5.25 bays
The patrician choice

Doesn't the i5 8400 thermal throttle with the stock cooler?

linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
It's 2 years old now but most of it should still be true
There is no problem, it just tells you that you get one less sata port when using m2 since they share bandwidth. Just means you are using one nvme instead of a normal ssd/hdd.
Also I'm in captcha hell now.

Shit OP

Thanks dude you are a hero. Theres also no limit of how much GB i can use as a M2? On the MSI site they said something of 32GB for Intel Octane.

You don't like Ryzen? You don't like Vega?

why are you recommending the poozen 2600/2700 when the i7 8600k is faster AND cheaper then both? stupid pajeet shills

what are these cheap gpu with brand names from china on amazon and ebay?
are they shameless ripoff?

Yea honestly there are plenty of sub $2000 builds that could run an 8700k or 9700k over a 2600x/2700x for gaming.

Fine, don't buy the best. LOL
you gonna gayme on a freesync monitor? No gaymd cards can handle 1440p at higher refresh rates

Yes
And they are awful performance wise

It comes with a shitty aluminum cooler, no surprises there, soldered CPU or not.
Same as 8400? Knowing Intel, it'll boost like 100Mhz higher and that is all, nothing special.

Well if it boosts higher than the previous one that thermal throttled it stands to reason it would benefit from solder.

hey guys. about to build

Attached: .jpg (4032x3024, 1.47M)

I have a m.2 drive that's 256 GB and a hard drive that's 1t

Is it worth installing windows on the m.2? I feel like it's not big enough and I can't afford bigger atm