How do you make your backups and how often do you make em? You DO have up to date backups, right?

How do you make your backups and how often do you make em? You DO have up to date backups, right?

Attached: 1451847925637.jpg (380x250, 13K)

Every time I want to make one I make a folder named like
in an external NTFS drive
Then run Duplicate Commander to turn duplicate files (from the previous backups) into hard-links
It's kinda wasteful for slightly changed files, but it's less crazy than something like ZFS with dedup which consumes like 20 gigs of ram for every TB of data, and it's very practical to use because even something lightweight like btrfs would require me to buy another computer besides my Windows machine to act as a NAS
I've also tried rdiff-backup but it's a buggy piece of shit

I wrote a program that detects and prints changes in my monitored folders since the last run, then it compresses and encrypts the modified files, then it finally uploads the encrypted archive on my cloud storage.
This incremental backup is done daily, and I also sync these folders with an external HDD once a week.

I never backed up anything
My code, my music, my art
If my HDD dies I might consider killing myself

what technique do you use to detect the modified files?

kek
why not? at the most basic level it's literally copy and paste to some external media
also how did your data survive until now without backups?

>how did your data survive until now without backups?
Some of it I copied from other older PCs but I've had my current PC for 5 years and it's been fine
Another problem is that my stuff is so disorganized I will put stuff in random directories and forget about it

I stat() them, and if the timestamp differs, I calculate a hash from the content, then compare it to the one in the database. In case of modification, I update the database entry and queue the file for compression.

What about you, how do you protect the integrity of your data?

I make backups around once every 6 months or so. Also if my computer dies or I'm going to stop using it. I don't consider it a really big deal and don't back up that many files, I have less than 2 gb of data I consider "important".

do you have one folder with the data that you consider "important" or do you manually select those files?
Just get an external 1tb disk for fucking 50 dollars. Otherwise spend the time to actually isolate the stuff you care about and upload to the free 25gb google drive gives you
Otherwise you're gonna be one of those faggots making threads asking how to do data recovery on a dead drive and avoid responding to the posts telling him to look up how to do head swaps on youtube (and even that's a long shot)
nice. sounds pretty robust
I'm Also trying to 7zip most of the stuff and make parchive2 redundancy files of it but that's gonna take a while

for broke anons such as myself veeam free for windows does a nice image backup to any local or network. with file browsing and full image recovery to same hardware.

nice, but is it incremental or just full image? and do you send it to a nas, external drive or what?

daily scheduled incremental. send it to my other gaming computer with 5TB.
also has email alerts

sounds like another program I used to use, AOMEI Backupper, but I gave up on backing up disk images because I'm frequently moving partitions around and it results in a lot of wasted space

Wrote a script that runs weekly. It copies the contents of my home folder and uploads them to my personal Amazon S3 bucket.

incremental or full backup?

I use rsync to sync with external hard drives via USB 3 dock. I have a few different drives I rotate between, so my data exists on 4 or 5 drives. All of them are encrypted with veracrypt, so i can leave copies with my parents or friends in case my house burns down.

based

Full backup with timestamps. Been running it for almost 2 years now.

Yikes, that sounds expensive (unless you have very little data)

I make a backup of my raidz1 pool every few months to a 10tb ironwolf drive which I store on its own in a separate room by itself.

Everything important I have syncs automatically though an encrypted file system with 5 different cloud services. And I occasionally do a physical copy-all just for shits and giggles.

I don't back up any system images or music or shit; I'd just re-download and re-install junk if I lost it.

How have I never known about this? I've been using Veeam at work for a couple ESXi hosts for years now, and never realized that there was a free version. ty user.

differential rsync

For my desktop I use file history to keep version history for my docs, pictures, etc. and it's all saved to an internal drive, and I run a scheduled weekly full system image. My laptop has nothing worth saving on it except some dot files and configs for things like vim, bash, and Firefox, and I could recreate all of it anyway without much trouble. I keep a copy on a USB drive whenever I reinstall (I use Fedora and typically do a fresh install with each version upgrade), so I guess that's kinda like backing up those files every 6 months or so.

For my NAS/home server, weekly full system images and daily data backups using rsync to an external hard drive. This hard drive also serves as the backup destination for my desktop through a Samba share, and it gets rotated weekly.

best answer. set it to launch at start up. if you're too retard to script it and you're using Gnome shell, you can do it from the tweak tool.

ye its a little new but i was blown away to get such a high quality product for free.
wouldn't be surprised if they were selling my backups for advertisingbux

I make a backup every month.

Quickly changing files get synced via Dropbox between my laptops.

I use borgbackup and run it as a root cron job
runs everyday at 5 am, and every so often I check root mail to see if it's going smoothly