/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600/X - Great gaming or multithreaded use CPUs
>i7 8700/K or i7 9700K - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X or i9 9900K - VM Work / Streaming / Video editing

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1050 3GB (bad value), RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 1484348845011.png (1336x1336, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/M6xR8Y
pcpartpicker.com/list/77HWkT
amazon.com/dp/B07BWNWQKJ/?tag=pcpapi-20
uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6
pcpartpicker.com/product/zmBTwP/team-t-force-dark-pro-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3466-memory-tdpgd416g3466hc16cdc01
pcpartpicker.com/product/vzkj4D/gskill-value-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-f4-2666c19d-16gnt
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

any recommended used videocard for under 100 usd?

owo new general

>1050
that thing shouldn't even be there, the RX580 does the job for 1080p, no need to go lower
>consider m.2 form factor
y tho
860 evo does the job for everyone who isn't a total shitlord

How can I tell which graphics cards are using binned TU106-400-A1, whatever that means, abd which ones don't? A user from a few threads back said not to buy certain ones.

You are being trolled.

Just avoid anything that isn't' premium gaymur material (non Asus ROG, non Gigabyte Aorus, etc)

It doesn't matter, it's only important if you're le OC master
for stock usage they're all solid.

>built a pc six years ago, no idea what the fuck I'm doing now
>assembling parts on part picker
>intel has four thousand dollar 18 core processors

This is not going to be a walk in the park.

Ryzen

Black screen/No signal after instaling Nvidia drivers on my 1060, what's the cause? ive used DDU and its still the same, i dont know what causes it.

Looking at putting some old parts in a HTPC case to put under my tv but they're all too expensive for what they are. I found this "Azza Z" for under $50 and besides the gaudy green everywhere it looks okay, maybe I can just spray paint it black to cover it up. Does anyone have experience with this case? Besides the looks of nicer cases I don't see why I should spend the extra $35+ and needing to buy a SFX psu when I already have a working ATX one.

(((They))) have more affordable processors for you or you can go with Ryzen if you need more than 4 cores.

Can someone recommend a monitor for gaming thats 1440p but not huge? It seems most monitors start at 27" and go up from there, I currently use a laptop with a 15" screen and the size has never bothered me, 27" seems huge to me.

27" is ideal
23/24" for 1080p, 27" for 1440p and 32" and above for 4k
just fucking buy it jesus

what's the point of having high res if you can't make it out? You need a lot of real estate on the screen, just lol at a 20" 1440p panel or some shit

Who hyped for Intel F chips here? No iGPU is such a genius idea. Nobody needs that shit and the dark silicon aids in cooling.

Your going to want the Del S2417DG. It's cheap as fuck for what you get too. Don't be put off by the TN. With a bit of tweaking the colors aren't bad.

You'll get the best deals from riskier ventures like facebook and craigslist, but on Ebay you can find R9 290s and the odd 290X/390 around that price.
When you're shopping on a bargain you should keep your eyes open for a wide range of cards and have a general idea how fast they all are so when a deal comes up you know if it's worth a little extra or it's actually a steal at $75
Here's a comparison of a bunch of last gen GPUs with a 580 and 1060 slapped in the middle for perspective so you can get an idea of their relative performance. The 3 games tested were BF1, F1 2017 and rise of the tomb raider

Attached: GPU performance comparison.png (2666x2461, 200K)

My GTX 1080 shit its pants tonight, so I'm looking to get a new card
I'm reading up on current cards, but want to ask some things here anyways.
1080 TIs are still real pricey even used, would a 2080 be better if the two cards are the same price?
I'm seeing some 2080s are having temp issues. Is there a method of knowing which are bad, aside from customer reviews?

I'm hoping the openbox deals at my local MicroCenter are just dorks who opened the box to get the free game code
They still have one 1080 left

CPU is a i7 6700K, monitor is 1440p for w/e thats worth

>would a 2080 be better if the two cards are the same price?
Yes
> Is there a method of knowing which are bad, aside from customer reviews?
Nope

wait for Navi

What's the average lifespan of a GPU before it shits itself?

As long as you can handle everyone thinking you're a sucker when they see your build.

Try other outputs, reseat the GPU a few times, try in another PCIe slot or computer if possible and if all that fails the GPU's probably ded

I've literally never seen one fail in my 25 years of PC gaming. Have had a fan bearing go bad though. Usually the tech is outdated long before the card breaks.

Sorry I'm a complete PC shit newfag, whats TN?

It's the type of technology used in the display panel. You can see it derided here by many pcmasterrace screeching TN is shit you need IPS. They also hate VA.

Good to know, thanks.

I'll just have to flex with my big boys bucks

Now to find out tomorrow if those open box deals are sketch or not, decide if the ~$150 higher price is justifiable for the 2080 over the 1080

One of the main LCD display technologies. It's advantages are generally faster pixel response times and being cheaper, disadvantages are poor viewing angles and usually sub par contrast and/or colors. I've seen ones with good color and contrast before though, it's a real crapshoot.

It's relative. There's people who's entire build costs $150.

liar
no tn compares to ips
stop shilling tn

I have a Intel i7-4790K in a motherboard that only supports DDR3. Can this CPU work in a motherboard that supports DDR4?

Negatory.

Nah expensive TNs definitely are comparable to cheaper IPS and VA panels in image quality.
The one he's pointing out is not great, though there's not much competition for 24" 1440p 144Hz panels.

At this point just wait for DDR5.

Don't be stupid
it'll be years before DDR5 is mainstream
sell it and upgrade to an 8700k, poorfag

Ryzen it is.

Is there any reason I should upgrade my 4690K before the next AMD processor comes out? It bottlenecks my 1080ti in some games but I still get over 60fps on 1440p. The only thing it's terrible at is video encoding or running any any adobe software at the same time as a game.

Correction I meant next AMD architecture.

8700k/9700k will still be better than zen2 so why not upgrade now

What's the best gpu under 220mm length? I've got hdd cages in the way

The only reason you should is because upgrading now means selling your 4690K+mobo+ram now which would likely be worth more than they will be when all the current ryzens halve in price but you'll be eating that loss too.
Obviously if you can wait you should.

Oh i just thought of another reason.
you might save a bit on motherboards by buying into AM4 now since you'll be getting a b450/X470 and updating the bios instead of need to get a B550/X570 at launch prices. you might miss out on board features that way though

Yeah good point, selling this now for slightly more than it'll sell for in a year probably isn't worth doing.

What do you guys think of this build? Its very tentative at this time, hoping to run stuff on max settings 60fps for a couple years on it.

Sorry for not just linking the build, I don't know specifically how cuz I'm a Jow Forums brainlet, do I just link the URL in the future?

Attached: Screenshot (279).png (1501x897, 109K)

But I might be able to get a 450 board on sale when the 550s come out though no?

It unless you get the store to open it up and update the bios for you it won't work out of box with the new CPUs

So, why so many people here complain about their GPU breaking down?

no one does

I usually replace it because it has become obsolete to game with, I've never had one of my own break down. That said, parents had a radeon card once that died after about 7-8 years or so.

Yes you link the URL that's listed on the page, pretty sure it says "parts list link" or something like that. Go for a G1+ instead of the G3 and if suggest going for a larger SSD as well. I have a mx500 and am happy with it though so good choice there.

I do have other PCs to download the new bios and could then update bios right?

Are you sure? >My GTX 1080 shit its pants tonight, so I'm looking to get a new card

>I do have other PCs to download the new bios and could then update bios right?
There needs to be a BIOS compatible CPU and RAM kit in the motherboard to get into the UEFI.
A friend of mine once had RAM that was incompatible with his mobo at V1.0 BIOS so I had to let him use mine so he could update it and it worked perfectly with that RAM kit for years after.

I actually did that earlier and apparently it didn't save, just decided to go with a 1TB SSD instead of the SSD and HDD cuz it was the same price and I still haven't filled up my 750gig laptop. Whats the advantage to G1+ over G3?

24'' or 27'' for 1080p?

At monitor viewing distances, 24". At 27" the pixels are more noticeable

Get a 144Hz monitor

Just get an i7 4770K or 4790K, unless you really need the multithreaded perf

No, of course not. No reason to upgrade that CPU unless you're video encoding

>1080 TIs are still real pricey even used, would a 2080 be better if the two cards are the same price?
Most definitely. The 2080 is faster than the 1080Ti and has newer features. The 1080Tis are mostly sold out now

Make sureyou're plugging the video output cable into the graphics card, not the motherboard. After that contact your card's manufacture

>1050 shouldn't even be there
Some people just want the cheapest thing, but I agree that a 570 is the best value.

m.2 can be literally about the form factor, retard.

Used RX 470

I work in audio production and use a fuckton of CPU intensive plug-ins (virtual instruments/synths). Is a threadripper build reasonably future proof?

>Get a 144Hz monitor
Why is that, I'm only getting a 1070ti so I'll be happy with 60fps, why get 144hz?

>buy ryzen solely because someone on Jow Forums or reddit recommended it
>don't read any reviews at all, don't look at benchmarks from several sources, or even watch reviews from YouTube where they spoon-feed the CPU's strengths and weaknesses
>get mad at the CPU's single thread performance because you're using it solely for gaming on games that are specifically better on low thread higher frequency CPUs
Are people actually this stupid or is Intel hiring people to fake buyers remorse?

I got a 2700x because of budget, I knew going in that it would need some work to get near an 8700k but I am very happy that I am running 2700x/1080ti/470 taichi/3200mhz c14 under 1500

8700k with similar set up would of cost me 200-300 more. So I went into it knowing what I was getting and I couldn't be happier. Surely only people with big budgets are making this mistake.

gamers are retarded manchilds and their opinion is irrelevant
it's that simple

>under 1500

they're literally all intel shills. the people who are too stupid to research or even know the products they're buying aren't smart enough to even notice the difference at the resolution/settings they play at. they're the same ones who just jam everything to max even if its a huge perf hit with barely any visual difference. the only people left are intel shills making up stories or people who had a preconceived bias towards intel and who got pushed into buying ryzen

Meanwhile my 8400 btfos every poozen cpu lmao

No. lol

Depends on if the plugins can take advantage of multicore and exactly how much performance they need.
You definitely shouldn't go with threadripper unless you know the task is highly multithreaded, because the platform is quite expensive, check these out:
Intel - pcpartpicker.com/list/M6xR8Y
Threadripper - pcpartpicker.com/list/77HWkT
I put a pretty overpriced CPU cooler on the i9 and it still came out cheaper than a last gen 12 core threadripper build

cope

Attached: relative-performance-games-1920-1080 (1).png (500x1490, 96K)

Enjoy your microstuttering. You need at least 6c / 12t for gaming in 2018.

Lol the CPU cooler on the intel build sold out at $99 and immediately made a liar of me.
Just pretend it was this one amazon.com/dp/B07BWNWQKJ/?tag=pcpapi-20
I think the H100i PRO is a newer model anyway

this is with a 1080ti, so basically most extreme example and it doesn't even win when 2600 is overclocked

the 2600 also beats the 8400 in multithreaded

>hurr durr it BTFO poozen

you're the perfect example of an intel retard

Attached: Average.png (1338x1181, 70K)

>muh intlel
lol

Attached: 1539713816329.png (2560x5040, 2.53M)

Not him but 1080tis were going for like $700 a few months ago. That'd leave $700+ for the rest of those components. $1500 seems tenable in the given scenario

Make sure the application can actually spread the load out to 16+ threads, which I assume it can. Check with other people who use Zen platform CPUs with that application and make sure they don't have any latency issues. Make sure the 2700X won't be enough. If all of these conditions are filled then yes TR may be a good option. One other thing to be aware of (and this will be true of Intel HEDP too) is that these CPUs put out a lot of heat when maxing out all cores so research a suitable cooling option that won't make a ton of noise.

Got a giftcard to a shitty local computer store and bought Fractal Celsius S24 for my Ryzen 2600x. Temperatures while gaming went from 70-80 to 50, but I keep thinking 100 euros for 20 degrees is too much.

Should I just return it? I heard you cant oc 2600x that well anyways. I can't decide because I'm a manchild.

Attached: pc.jpg (1280x960, 124K)

>this benchmark again with the $100 more expensive ryzen build

Is 2666mhz the limit for an 8400? This chart looks like it's gimping the Intel cpu while giving the amd chip a leg up with oc and fast ram

Don't be a faggot. Keep the cooler

Imagine spending that much money on a fucking 2600x

You might have some trouble returning purchased on a giftcard to a local store.
20 degrees is a big drop though, you have to remember the effectiveness of a cooler isn't measured in just the temperature reading, it's the difference between the CPU temp and ambient. so it probably dropped from ~50 degrees over ambient to ~20 (assuming ambient of 25 degrees), which is over half

Seething much? Fast RAM is a neccesisity for gaming. Ryzen simply uses it better.

Not seething and not trying to be bellicose. Legit just asking why there's a ram speed disparity. has already shown the 2600 to be a far better value so I'm not trying to knight for Intel. Just curious about testing methodology

So what. The aio was bought with a gift card, and now he's got a nice and capable cooler to use on future CPUs when he upgrades

What the fuck is going on on this board? What's with all the unix and hon-posting and shit? What did I miss out on over christmas?

What criteria should i be looking at for a decent cheap monitor? Pairing with rx580
Panel type, backlight, response time, frequency etc
£100 budget

Keep it nigger, 20 degrees is one hell of a difference and 50-60c is pretty damn cool under load and youll be able to use it in future builds

IPS 1ms 75hz

Monitor is probably the part of the setup you'll have the longest

>gaming on games that are specifically better on low thread higher frequency CPUs
>low thread
That's how I know you're joking, as if low thread would ever be better in games designed for 8 thread APU consoles

When you're using a 1060 or 1070 tier graphics card, there's no difference in perf between the 8400 or 2600, and the 2600 will probably have longer legs, considering new consoles will have Zen based APUs

>You need at least 6c / 12t
Need is the wrong word. Plenty of people are still gaming happily on i5s

3400 RAM is way too expensive, hence the 2600 slightly "loses" (faggot)

>Is 2666mhz the limit for an 8400?
Depends on the mobo. If you're using a B chipset, yes. If, you're using a Z chipset, no.

>Ryzen simply uses it better
Shut up, retard.

No such thing. IPS are 4ms, VA type IPS (which isn't what most people call IPS) is 1ms

This isn’t IPS however it caught my eye, what do you think?
uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/hqmxFT/aoc-monitor-g2260vwq6

Just buy a used 24" 60Hz 1080p IPS

>kaby lake i5 still can't beat bulldozer
The state of Intel

Attached: cone.png (576x638, 17K)

Kiked and liked

>ryzen build is $100 more
Don't make me btfo you mathlet, the only way that would be true is if you buy the very cheapest RAM on the market, and then I'd lol at your shitty build anyway

rip in pieces intel, 7nm zen is going to be total annihilation

Attached: untitled-12.png (678x924, 57K)

btfo me pls

pcpartpicker.com/product/zmBTwP/team-t-force-dark-pro-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-3466-memory-tdpgd416g3466hc16cdc01
pcpartpicker.com/product/vzkj4D/gskill-value-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-2666-memory-f4-2666c19d-16gnt
Fact guy here. It's a $75 difference. More than enough to destroy any value the 2600 has (not that it's a bad CPU with 3200 or even 3000MHz RAM)

Add the difference in mobo+cooler now

So I'm gonna get an SSD at work because the HDD is slow as fuck and driving me fucking nuts. I'm not paying for it so I don't really have a budget. I don't think I'll ever need more than 256GB tho. What's a reliable, high quality SSD I can get? (Not overly expensive either, I don't want to look like a dick asking for a gorillion dollar disk lmao).

Pleb here. What kind of performance increase can I expect if I upgrade my i5-2500k to an i7-9700k? My very basic understanding of CPUs had me believe that clockspeed was what mattered so imagine me seeing new generations of cpus being released and thinking "If it's the same clockspeed then what's the point?" I know a bit better now but I still don't quite get how the new generations equate to better performance.

Samsung 860