/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% --help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1535224007419.jpg (515x616, 74K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pop.system76.com/docs/keyboard-shortcuts/
twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1078344548051345408
gnu.org/graphics/r4sh-gnu-vaporwave.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Anyone used Pop_OS! yet? Only reason I ask is that it has nice power settings and sane shortcut defaults, been using it for a week and it's made gnome "tolerable" at the moment.

Attached: 1544296682881.png (412x368, 150K)

what's that? linux for coder?

workstation for a better term, they fix some of the bugs that comes with gnome and retailors it to have some sane commands instead of gnomes default garbage, if you have an nvidia gpu, they have a iso that comes with the driver preinstalled.
pop.system76.com/docs/keyboard-shortcuts/
Made by a bunch of hardwarefags, even though its a straight fork of ubuntu, I haven't had problems with pop that ubuntu has given me.

Any way to format an ntfs partition from a Linux machine? I want to split my newly bought 2 TB HDD to ext4 (for my linux pc) and NTFS (for backup purpose and for easier transfer to my windows laptop).

what is the best distro to use as startpoint when trying to abandon win10? i really like the look and feel of windows (except cortana, i use open-shell for the classic win7 experience).

Mint

may i bother you with one more pleb question?
what's the difference between the different editions?
the all look the same to me, except the cinnamon one, which has a dark menu

What ide should i get between sciTe and geany ? They both seem lightweight and fast

How to download a package with all its dependencies to use in an offline environment? Take note that im forced to use windows to download the packages and have no way to get internet access on the linux vm.

How to i merge the empty space with my linux partition? I'm trying to go from dual boot to single boot. I'm sure that it would work if i changed the mount point to root. But i can't figure out how to do that.
SEND HELP!

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-12-28 11-51-20.png (775x539, 49K)

>I'm sure that it would work if i changed the mount point to root.
what did he mean by this

mostly that, pick cinnamon

what's your distro?

can someone explain why I can't change the name of the workspaces?

Attached: 2018-12-28-122401_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 212K)

I realize that i was unclear.
I fixed this by booting into linux on my USB stick so i could unmount the linux partition.

Centos or ubuntu

Because you're already in them
Move the window out of the workspace and and go back in
should work

what is a good terminal music player to play music from youtube and spotify and maybe also soundcloud?
i don't want to download everything i listen to and don't even care about grouping by artist and shit

redpill me on NixOS

Attached: nixos-logo.png (1183x1024, 88K)

It's bad

thanks for validating opinion.

Attached: npc.png (204x248, 6K)

I'm not that stupid user, I even tried rebooting but it still doesn't work

It's a research project trying to solve the issues dealing with state in an operating system.
The lore is such that:
A purely functional program always produces the same output with the same inputs. It doesn't modify anything that's external to the function, and none of its outputs depend on anything that's external to the program.
Compared to the imperative programming style, functional programs are easier to debug and test, and can even be proven to be entirely without faults. Even large programs and operating system kernels can be proven to be bug free.

And so, what does a functional operating system look like? Your common linux distribution holds a lot of state, and it makes it difficult to test different combinations of system and software configurations. It makes it impossible to know if there are bugs before you encounter them. Once you change something and it breaks, it's up to your memory to be able to revert it.
NixOS is one of those systems where you can declare your operating system, and the resulting system is exactly the same every time you apply the configuration. You can upgrade things and roll them back without anything having unknown side-effects for the rest of the system. You don't need to babysit your system anymore.

ok that is cool and good (already read the "About" section) but would an ubuntu pleb like me be able to function with it?

I'm seriously considering installing Arch.

Haven't used Lignux for years, have an Ubuntu partition catching dust.

Please, tell me i'm not falling for a very intrincate meme.

Attached: serveimage.png (313x161, 6K)

In Debian//Gnome, when opening a file/folder, is there any way I can enter the full path into a textbox or something?
i.e. a key command like on Mac.

why display manager is a thing, who gives a fuck which software do you use to login. it's less important than grep version for me.

Attached: lightdm.jpg (800x600, 62K)

>it's less important than grep version for me
>for me

If you're up to learning a system that requires learning to use, then sure why not.
But it doesn't need you to learn too many transferable skills, and it doesn't ask for many transferable skills. It has its own set of basic skills that you'll have to learn and that are not applicaple on any other linux distribution.
It's one of those systems more skilled users go to once they've had enough of the bullshit present in other systems.

It's a system that should make you familiar with reading documentation and using the command line, but it has baby wheels on it anyways.

ok? point of this post being?

ok thanks, I guess I will stick with ubuntu for a while until I feel confident

i'm just curious why is it a big deal, why such a fancy name like it really manages display, why kde installation asks me to install it's own, why there are too many of them and so on.

Very little of that confidence will follow over, so you might as well try it in a vm or something.
Also, there's GUIXSD that has similar goals.

maybe using nix package manage as a first step would be a good idea too?

I have a lot of experience in GNU/Linux, desktop or server. But on my main desktop computer, I always come back to Windows for a single thing: GAMES. I like Overwatch for example, but I can't play it properly on Linux. Someone has an alternative? Was thinking about dualboots, but updates would break everything. Or maybe Lutris fixed problems since?

I tried overwatch a couple of months ago on a 6600 and a 380, it worked ok for the most part but I wouldn't play ranked. Not sure if something relevant changed lately, honestly your best solution is to get a second ssd, don't waste time with dualboot

guys...
twitter.com/sarahmei/status/1078344548051345408

Vm with gpu pass through.

Centralized social media was a mistake.

If he sues her over this he is guaranteed to win.

what could he sue for? defamation?

Yes.

No-one knows?
Huh. Go figure.

holy shit Stallman is a fookin legend

ctrl+l i think
gnome is shit

Who else uses Arch and PCmanFM here?

Can someone tell me if PCmanFM 3.0 or whatever the lastest version is, is broken for them?

Mine has been partially broken for months in the following ways:
- Thumbnails are not cached, pcmanfm generates them when it opens a directory but they are not saved to the .thumbs directory like normal so on re-opening the same directory again all thumbs have to be regenerated
- Custom desktop links are broken in the context menu i.e. I wrote an application to renumber files in Java and added a custom entry for it, though on 3.0 it doesn't work anymore

Someone must have it install and up-to-date? I've been skipping the updates for it for months now, but can't find anyone listing these problems online.

Attached: 7a2b070eea6f263192c8f881b0580673.jpg (2041x1784, 353K)

Use spacefm, it used to be called pcmanfm-mod, but guru added alot more shit to it and forked it a while ago. Its in the aur

crossposting because i accidentaly posted in the wrong thread:

How do I migrate from sysvinit to openrc without borking?

>- Thumbnails are not cached
switched to pcmanfm early this year and don't think it has ever cached thumbnails in my time using it, ffmpegthumbnailer caches thumbnails for video files under ~/.thumbnails but not pcmanfm itself. I would like to know if it has some dependency to cache thumbnails for images as well, regenerating them all the time in memory seems redundant.
>- Custom desktop links are broken in the context menu
it had some retarded update a few months back where it would send ftp links locally to open programs, maybe that is what's breaking your script. it broke my feh script and krita, they've changed that back in the latest update.

>switched to pcmanfm early this year and don't think it has ever cached thumbnails

Yeah I was just starting to wonder if this was in fact a "feature", it is a significant downgrade though, I'm still on version 1.2 here and that caches thumbnails for jpg and png under the .thumbnails directory as you would expect, also version 1.3 if thumbnails are present in that directory it uses the cached versions but if you delete them it does not replace them it just regenerates them on the fly so when you navigate up and down a directory you have to wait for it to regen all the thumbs which is a pain rather than them loading instantaneously if they were cached. You can test this by just using another file manager that actually generates thumbnails and caches them.

I'd make a bug report if the dev branch was on github, but they use sourceforge for some reason which I can't be fucked to make an account for.

What bash script can I use in Android to limit log-in times per day per user? Got iptables to turn off internet at night, but offline usage still works and I realzed it better shouldn't...

redpill me on Manjaro

gparted can do ntfs
Oh look, a sexist bitch talking shit. What a surprise

It's arch for babbies.

Is there any downside to having all of my sda partition as primary? I was half-asleep when I installed this PC, but now it's already a hassle if I want to do a full-reinstall again.
Or is there any way to change my non-root partitions to logical?

There's no disadvantage I'm aware of other than you can only have so many primary partitions (4?). If you don't need more than you have, you're fine.

It is not shit when you can find his LITERAL conversations about the topics at hand on his PERSONAL BLOG.

Right, thank you for the fast response.

Arch is already for babies though

How can I convert PSX isos to Eboots under Linux?
Most programs I've seen are for Windows and don't work very well under WINE.

What do?

Attached: skull_steam_avatars.jpg (184x184, 10K)

Try GuixSD instead.

ctrl + shift + e
to exit 3wm and then login back
it should do it

First time using it. Fell for the meme and installed, after dumping a 3k packages ubuntu install.
Finished my manjaro install, installed everything that i need, i am using budgie and even like this, my system boots with only 615mb of ram used. On ubuntu it was almost 1.3gb.
The system is lean as fuck, it seems so much faster and better overall.

Attached: fresh install.png (697x350, 43K)

>install Debian
>"Select and install software: 23%"
>downloads at a rate of about 1 file per 15 minutes and still needs a thousand more files

Attached: 1496529786018.jpg (265x265, 8K)

Jesus Christ.

Attached: 56f3f477f3d321275a9643e8042521e08d340e8bdbb78722ddddc4f4a392089a.png (500x627, 507K)

Gimme some cool ascii art to put in my neofetch config

Attached: Screenshot_20181228_123750.png (697x467, 79K)

Who is this and why is she relevant?

And the transformation of GNU\Linux to CoC\Linux will be complete...soon.

That looks so SSP

after moving to a new server with raid i switched to devuan for a systemD-less server, however, after setting up ssh and transmission the way i had them set up before, then port forwarding in my router, i still can't connect via my external ip like i used to be able to
connecting to it via internal ip works fine, assuming it's not my router, is there anything i have to do in devuan for it to accept connections from outside the internal network for ssh/sftp/transmission (ports 22,9091,8080)

Attached: file.png (891x377, 32K)

Absolutly legendary.

Attached: 1546019067681.png (720x392, 116K)

, ,
/ \
((__-^^-,-^^-__))
`-_---' `---_-'
`--|o` 'o|--'
\ ` /
): :(
:o_o:
"-"

Being this offended 24/7 can't be healthy.

Lol.
Such a MAD MAN.

>used bash for a year without installing bash-completion

Attached: -7521423697820778491.jpg (512x512, 21K)

eh

Attached: gay.png (697x454, 68K)

what does it do user?

It adds lots of completions for things like program options, etc.

on debian-based system it comes preinstalled

i already have it on kde neon

>find this
gnu.org/graphics/r4sh-gnu-vaporwave.html
Maybe it's time to fire up GIMP and send them some glorious /fglt/ work? I remember we had pretty neat /fglt/ threads at /wg/ back in the days.

Okay, I have a fuckload of dependency issues in my Debian install which were caused by me deciding to use unstable for like an hour, and updaing my install. I've downgraded back to stable since then, but a lot of packages, especially those relating to the C libraries, are still in their unstable version. Every once in a while I need to install something which needs the stable version of those packages. Every time this happens, I just upgrade the necessary packages to their unstable version and rest easy until it happens again.
Is there a way to safely downgrade all of these packages to their stable version. I think most of my dependency errors result from the libc6 package. But trying to downgrade it to it's stable version says that it will end up removing a lot of core packages like the coreutils. Is there a way to downgrade it safely back to stable?

now this is it

Attached: Screenshot_20181228_125949.png (697x454, 74K)

cringe

why is your screenshot transparent user.

Firefox with just 3 Jow Forums threads + Youtube 1 video on slows down my i7 7700 HQ processor to a complete halt.. everything lags like 0.5 seconds; when I click refresh Jow Forums/yt or click new thread it takes forever to draw.

Why does it do this every time..
have to say that same laptop with just WIndows 10 on it was *lot faster* than the Ubuntu I'm using now (latest Ubuntu).

Attached: 1543154081506.png (2840x1442, 327K)

what screenshot tool do you use?

Me on the right. Because I do use arch linux.

Pin the release you want in apt preferences and do the upgrades.

He's using KDE, it's probably builtin.

Yeah that’s weird I have the exact same processor and i can easily play YouTube have several tabs open discord and a game without any noticeable chugging. Using chrome in win10. It does eat up like 4 fucking gigs of ram at idle though

Exactly right

I had the same laptop, had Windows 10 on it and it could do *lot* more with lower temperatures, lower fan speeds, and was much faster.

'Upgrading' to Ubuntu slowed it down noticeably and it made the temperatures 80+ degrees of Celsius all the time, fans spinning at 90%+ most of the time even with just 2-4 Jow Forums threads up.

Periscope is the worst. 1 tab in Firefox. Periscope. It completely fucks up the CPU. 100% in use. Everything click lags by 1second or more.
Ridiculous.

Turn on hardware accel

It's already on, if you mean Firefox.

get better internet

Use a mirror near you.

I find my battery lasts longer on linux than windows without any special configuration. But I've seen people recommend powertop and Laptop Mode Tools which help automatically configure power saving stuff. There's also a big long page on the arch wiki and thinkpad wiki on how to manually configure a lot of stuff to use less power. Useful even if you don't use arch or a thinkpad.