Which OS has aged the most gracefully?

Which OS has aged the most gracefully?

Attached: itled.jpg (1200x900, 69K)

Windows XP SP3.
That had mileage.

>Windows XP
Quite insecure according to most researches. Has a 40 percent infection rate compared to other systems which are well below 10. It's also pretty easy to hack almost any XP based machine since some time. Most devices don't work on it without the proper drivers, however the manufacturers have moved on to Vista (SP2) and now 7 or later. It doesn't support AHCI, which means you can't use it on modern drives, etc.
Newer web browsers also do not function on XP, for instance you're stuck with IE 8 from 2009 which doesn't support most HTML5 web standards. Newer MS software in general doesn't work on XP, such as Office 2010 and .NET framework 4.5. Software developers have also finally moved on years ago and no longer support it, Adobe for instance. It also had a childish, buggy GUI. It only works best with the classic theme, unless you like the Teletubbies theme. Likewise it is unstable, very prone to BSODs, etc etc. It can't handle modern hardware, it always runs slow. Poor performance all across the board in general (unoptimized) since it's an old OS from 2001. For the same reason high intensity programs such as games struggle on it, compared to Vista and 7. It only supports DirectX 9.0c, which is already unsupported. Modern programs of these types require 10 or later.

And finally, it's Activation sucks.

By what metric?

Mac OS 9

>Office 2010 and .NET framework 4.5
Wtf are you mumbling about?

Snow Leopard

The fuck are you talking about ive got a modern browser on windows 98, xp isnt that bad.

Attached: JPEG_20181126_203427.jpg (3120x4160, 1.62M)

Debian 6

>modern browser
>ancient version of Opera

[Perception: 7] This is windows 2000 though

Hey it's got vp9 support, that's modern enough.

Gentoo

No. KernelEx.

Attached: JPEG_20181210_110337.jpg (3120x4160, 1.53M)

in terms of aesthetics, vista. vista still looks pretty modern.
in terms of usability, xp.

Fuck off back to /v/

No u

Attached: JPEG_20181126_015345.jpg (3120x4160, 1.57M)

Do you not know how to take a screenshot?

>extending Windows 2000 to support newer applications
>/v/
Fuck off

> it's Activation sucks

That was the best part if you knew what you were doing. You could get a volume licensing .iso directly from Microsoft's website and find a random 25 character key online. The end result was a fully activated Windows XP Pro installation without the use of a third party crack.

This. It's activation after XP that sucks

Yes, but the machine has 64mb of ram, and is such a pain in the ass to use that I thought a picture of the screen was good enough as shitposting material.
Thanks but it's 98se + unofficial service pack, not windows 2000, and x-forwarded from a server.

>Thanks but it's 98se + unofficial service pack, not windows 2000, and x-forwarded from a server.
Neat, I thought only Win2k had a package like that

Windows 7

aged like a top tier Milf

Unix

Windows LSD 3

ddaaaaaammmmmmnnnnnn unix looks like that!?

Attached: SPARCstation_1.jpg (448x496, 47K)

Windows 7 will still be used 50 years in the future unless microsoft atop being jewish or linux/MAC get supported by more software

microsoft just needs to port the aero skin to windows 10 and everyone will abandon 7

I have to agree.

Not really
Windows 10 is just windows 7 with more bloat added.

There is a Palemoon fork for XP.

I wish they'd port the Classic theme, although I understand the current UI framework essentially makes that almost impossible. "Themes" used to mean something, now it's just colour sets and wallpapers.

>You could get a volume licensing .iso directly from Microsoft's website and find a random 25 character key online
I dont think people understand how easy it was to do this. You just had to google VLM XP Key and find one that worked.

cartesia 6

no it isn't
it's an improved 7 with a flat skin

> You could get a volume licensing .iso directly from Microsoft's website
OR you could not have an internet connection at all in 2004 and end up with locked system after 30 days even though you had a legitimate copy along with a personal key.
> phone activation
Didn't work in my city for some reason.

I honestly don't feel like w7 has even aged. Like at all. And all the garbage that comes along with going w10 is the biggest fucking turn off for me. I think I'd rather go mac os or linux to be honest.

I'll use w7 for another decade if I can, its not like I play anything dx12 anyway, and I don't use updates past the w10 push.

I'm not stressed or concerned anyway, unlike most of you bitches.

Attached: w7pro.jpg (500x500, 50K)

doo a reboot

Aero is a shitty meme compared to luna or classic windows theme.

> luna
Honestly it looks like a plastic toy by default.

Seeing Luna, Classic, and Royale gives me such feels. I wish it were possible to have them on W10. ;__;

Windows vista and on looks like a shiny toy.

You don't need to activate on the internet or phone with a VLM key. It just activates locally.

now now kids
classic, luna AND aero all look A E S T H E T I C

Attached: A E S T H E T I C S.png (3072x768, 668K)

Attached: 1234567890123.jpg (636x773, 32K)

>current UI framework essentially makes that almost impossible
Not really. I've deliberately crashed the theming engine, and good old User32 came through. My cursory examination of apps (Settings and Calculator, IIRC) also worked fine.

This is the closest thing to a correct answer ITT. There's a reason EVERYTHING - except MAYBE macOS - has been shamelessly ripping off these looks for decades now.

Don't forget about watercolor

Attached: 1531109955314.gif (1024x768, 48K)

dont forget about the watercolor icons

Attached: whistler2257-1-1.png (667x559, 30K)

you now remember xp themes

Attached: watercolor_emico_shellstyles_by_yggdrasilly.png (1011x666, 293K)

Attached: watercolor_emico__blue_by_gelosea.png (1280x1757, 2.31M)

dark theme
why can't linux compete?

Attached: watercolor_emico__black_by_gelosea.png (1280x872, 1021K)

fuck yeah

Attached: alpha_os_ii_by_adni18.jpg.jpg (1280x800, 687K)

this is what windows could have been
TOP A E S T H E T I C S
I'm so fucking sad bros

Attached: longhorn.png (770x4025, 3.63M)

>kladblok
>daza computer
>zoeken
I refuse to believe that Dutch isn't a joke.

>daza
>not deze
God dammit. This is what happens when I shitpost without my coffee.

HA
DEZE COMPUTER
GOT EM

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 9K)

>boo-hoo someone insulted discord
>I should use an old shitty meme. that'll show him!

Attached: 999.png (600x600, 252K)

because macOS was the original

It's actually my auto-response to any reference - it's all it deserves.

That looked kitschy even in 2005

The irony is palpable.

Windows 95 is a pain to get working online, but there's a certain sense of novelty browsing the internet with it, not to mention the snappy response times and the fact that its so outdated virtually nothing online targets it anymore, so security is no longer an issue.
Run speccy. I need a screenshot of speccy in Windows 9X.

It is, isn't it? It's turtles all the way down.

/thread
Unix is an idea more than a codebase at this time, and has multiple implementations. It's everywhere from your pockets to the stars.

This looks like the mutant child of metro, classic, and luna combined.

Slackware 3.

Then why don't they rip off macOS? For every macOS ripoff WM/DE/theme, there's 500 Windows ones.

Because Apple liked to sue the pants off on anything that might possibly have been inspired by MacOS, including Windows itself, which is why Windows 1.0 didn't have overlapping... windows.

was made by the best programmer that ever lived

Attached: TempleOS_012114.png (640x480, 16K)

I still remember the first one (FCKGW), they did later block it but then people came out with the generators and we all easily switched which key the system was using. Oldfags will even remember this famous picture.

Attached: 467qngaaaq711.jpg (960x720, 70K)

But it's not 1983 anymore, user. What's stopping pseudonymous freetards with way too much time and tendies, and way too little jobs and competent adult supervision, in their parents' basements - and, y'know, today - throwing shit into either a Git or DeviantArt that looks like macOS instead of Windows?

>oldfags
This is literally my first post, and I recognise this picture... as it predates Jow Forums - and a fair whack of its users - by a decent margin.

Anyone else actually like the media center edition version of luna?

Attached: energyblue.jpg (1280x1024, 289K)

This theme was called "Royale" IIRC - and no, I was never a fan of the blue version. Royale Remixed Noir, on the other hand...

Attached: 1544723861531.gif (500x289, 168K)

Gold Windows XP.

Attached: gold windows xp.png (1600x1200, 1.27M)

God this blinds me

>and here’s why it’s a good thing

this picture is older than most of the people viewing this thread

windows 2000 Pro

>Newer web browsers also do not function on XP, for instance you're stuck with IE 8 from 2009 which doesn't support most HTML5 web standards
Chrome is only like 2 years of date on XP, firefox is only like a year out of date. Every website now will render properly on those.

>MacOS
>the original
Type Xerox PARC Alto into your favourite search engine if you ever doubt that Steve Jobs was a faggot.

>firefox is only like a year out of date
Firefox ESR 52.9 only ended a few months ago. It's still works for everything I've tried on XP. For now anyway.

This; long as it works I'll still use it. Prob get 20 yrs out of it still.

Awful. There is so much free and wasted space especially on the last one.

Attached: iyuityui.gif (220x125, 277K)

Attached: BuyFW.jpg (1292x1420, 446K)

*psssht*
{BURP}
Now THAT was an OS

Attached: 0cc.jpg (633x640, 51K)

>burping before drinking
spotted the alien
youd clearly doent know how humans work

now go watch one in operation for yourself and see how little it actually resembles the Macintosh beyond also having windows and bitmapped graphics

but you're both wrong anyway, the PERQ was the first graphical system you could actually have a hope of acquiring outside of academic circles, and unlike the Lisa/Mac it really was a rip-off of the Alto tech

Attached: r85r5614.jpg (5275x4119, 1.38M)

>C
>linux
>tiling wm
fucking hipsters

Attached: yuck.jpg (500x500, 63K)

>linux and X11
>in 1985
this is an 18+ website

Attached: r35191.jpg (2691x3026, 570K)

Excuse me you little shit? You must be twelve years old TOPS. Where do I even begin? C is NOT a hipster language. I don't care how many people think programming in C think it makes them better programmers. C was made in the 1970's. A time you know NOTHING about.

>>linux
What's wrong with the BIGGEST open source project IN THE WORLD. Too scared to adventure anything past the wall garden Microsoft has made for you? All mainstream Linux distros have GUIs. Don't be afraid of the superior.

>>tiling wm
Fucking hell. Do you shit on all that is GOOD?

fucking third worlder shitskins

>Jow Forums has already more or less been taken over by zoomers

Attached: 1377661909711.png (898x628, 58K)

>childish, buggy GUI
?
Buggy maybe, but what marks a GUI as childish?

he doesn't like colors
colorless, flat colors, gray is """mature"""
actual colors are """childish"""

Windows classic will always be the identity look of Windows for me. That's how I'll always remember it.

That said I was amazed how Windows Vista/7 looked. The transparency effects and smooth animations blew me away. To the point I was darn happy Win10 brought some of the transparency effects back.

Attached: displeased cat.gif (275x154, 1.83M)