/hpg/ - Headphones General

Gaming headphones that glow in the dark edition

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread

Attached: Screen_Shot_2018_06_02_at_10.48.46_AM.png.jpg (1200x683, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
removeddit.com/r/audio/comments/7z8esa/_/dume722/
removeddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7hcegs/_/dqpvorw/
removeddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7mt301/_/drwkvts/
removeddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7lzss9/_/drqcpkh/
reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/80ppgd/_/duxb43f/
listeninc.com/the-correlation-between-distortion-audibility-and-listener-preference-in-headphones/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you fucking queers even listen to music or do you just shitpost about stax nostax all day? Post what you're listening to and on what headphones.

Pic related on my HD800S

Attached: 1517485441980.png (1152x90, 68K)

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

LOL, Stax headphones are literally audiophool garbage

Attached: 15270928001920.png (485x486, 259K)

Are replacement pads worth it for the L300, or is simply adding padding and sealing them sufficient?

Who is our friend and resident shitposter, commonly known as "sapphire"? And what does he own? Sapphire (let's call him Nikita) has gone to great lengths to conceal what he actually owns, to the extent of deleting any reddit comments which explicitly reference his gear. As a prolific redditor, nikita obviously has a couple of reddit accounts. The first is his current one, /u/Amazing_Comment. He posts the distortion study quite often. One look at his post history, and you'll see that it's our friend Nikita. His second reddit account, /u/TrueChip1, posted the study once in Jow Forumsaudiophile, and it's plain to see from the topics of interest that this is him. His oldest account is /u/hohol3000. Again, one look at the post history and there should be no doubt. Let's move on to his gear.

He owns a DT-990:

removeddit.com/r/audio/comments/7z8esa/_/dume722/

I've had a DT990 and an Objective 2 amp. [rest omitted]

HD650s are the worst headphones for gaming. DT990s are the best. This is from my experience.

removeddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7mt301/_/drwkvts/

I don't think 770 will be good for jazz. At least I did not like 990 for jazz. High frequency peaks with wind instruments made my ears hurt after some time.

removeddit.com/r/headphones/comments/7lzss9/_/drqcpkh/

DT990 is the sword of light in a dark forest of tube amps and HD650s
a HD650 or HD6XX:

HD650s are the worst headphones for gaming. DT990s are the best. This is from my experience.
a Komplete KA6:

reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/80ppgd/_/duxb43f/

I own both and in my experience KA6 headphone output has enough power to drive HD650.
and JBL LSR305s + JBL LSR310S.

He is also a proud Ukrainian!

neutral response BAD

Attached: npcmeme.jpg (1396x1400, 374K)

Stax incels on suicide watch lmao

Adding padding is sufficient I hear. I do own L700s though and the pads are fucking comfortable as fuck though. So if you find L300 pads uncomfortable then I would recommend going for L700 pads.

Why isn't she showing us her feet

what are some good all around headphones with an emphasis on bass for ~$250

Convince me to buy a stax headphone without using buzzwords.

As a Stax owner I can confirm that these headphones are absolute garbage and sound like shit

Attached: 20181226_015426.jpg (1120x2016, 522K)

It'll make Nikita mad as fuck

>spending that much and listening to this shite
none of you are producers or anything. Even producers don't buy shit like this. You're all just a bunch of audiophools who think they're superior.

Just get some QC35s or MX3s like a normal person who cares about having decent headphones and fuck off.

fidelio x2

I can't. I didn't really believe the memes either until I actually tested them myself. It's hard to explain but when the tonality needs to be smooth (ie: guitar chords, for example) it comes off as very fluid, whereas when the tonality needs to be more apparent and sharp it's capable of doing so and making it clear. I don't quite understand how it works but it really was an eye opening experience for me.

>aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
>$33 to read a glorified headphone review
Fuck no

You know who else glows in the dark?

>none of you are producers or anything
I produce music though.
>Just get some QC35s or MX3s like a normal person who cares about having decent headphones and fuck off.
Man I get the "don't overspend on audio products" argument (and disagree) but telling me to buy mud instead is just laughable.

That's some severe case of post-purchase rationalization. Especially since Stax shitphones sound objectively worse than any mid-fi cans.

>but telling me to buy mud instead is just laughable.
I didn't ask you to buy Sennheiser though.

It's not a headphone review it's a review of a recording of heavily EQ'd headphones played back on another headphone lol
You'd have to be a complete retard to think this has any real implication about overall sound quality

Oh I'm sorry, you asked me to buy wet tar instead.

is this the new gay atustistic pasta thats gonna get spammed in every thtread? you're the same tier of indian diarrhea he is tbf

Attached: D72A2D6E-7C08-4C79-AC4D-488BC985E794.png (500x913, 230K)

listeninc.com/the-correlation-between-distortion-audibility-and-listener-preference-in-headphones/
right click and 'save link as' on the link to the full paper

prove you're not Nikita by posting your setup right now

It's funny because I demoed the L500 before pulling the trigger on my L700. Keep spamming though, it'll get you somewhere.

What do you guys consider to be the most comfortable earpads you've ever felt? Were they brand specific or third party? I am looking for something good in velour or micro suede.

Sennheisers velour earpads. Like on the HD 559. All velour even on top headband yum.

audiophool seethe

You are just a victim of buyers stockholm syndrome, silly

Key excerpts
>The second observation is that beyond Headphone D, most listeners had difficulty reliably discriminating among the headphones indicated by the small differences in headphone preference ratings, and the rather large overlapping error bars.
>Other than Headphone D or to a lesser extent C, listeners generally had difficulty hearing audible nonlinear distortions. For Headphone D the effects were described as a noise or buzzing sound, muddy bass with less pitch, and some harshness at around 1-4 kHz. Many listeners contradicted themselves across observations saying that a particular headphone sounded distorted in one trial, but not distorted in another.
>The different headphones were presented virtually to listeners via binaural recordings of the headphones reproduced through a calibrated low-distortion reference headphone, Stax SR-009. This virtual headphone test method minimized headphone leakage effects, and removed the influence of non- auditory biases (brand, price, visual appearance, comfort, etc.) from listeners’ judgment of sound quality.
In other words, there was very little consistent preference in the study, and the study itself is not an accurate representation of actual listener headphone preference, just the distortion preference of a heavily EQ'd headphone played through another headphone.

>seethe seethe triggered triggered mad mad
The most brainless posting anyone could possibly come up with.

Nikita is beyond reasoning with, he will simply lie and shitpost because he's been bullied too much by meanie stax owners.

Not posting this for Nikita, posting this for anyone who has even a sliver of a chance of believing his nonsense study.

And a K701 recording played through SR-009 sounded better than SR-009 itself lmao
Just accept the fact that Stax shitphones can't compete even with cheap mid-fi cans

>just insult the thing rather than actually proposing substitutes or explaining reasons for that belief, like a leftist.
The most brainless posting anyone could possibly come up with.

Been thinking of making a debunk pasta to post every thread, what you have is solid so far.

Stop samefagging Sapphire, you already got caught in the previous thread doing it the same way

This post is Nikita spreading FUD. For more info, see

Correction: A heavily EQ'd K701 recording played through a SR-009 was within margin of error (0.2) rated by an extremely small pool of subjects with largely similar taste in sound signature (8 Harman employees) to be on average, extremely extremely extremely slightly less distorted than the SR-009 itself.

I always knew that Stax is a shitty audiophool meme

Custom One Pro Plus, amazing headphones. burn them in for 1-2 days(play whatever on medium-low volume) and keep ports on 1.5 holes
they're just great

What do you want me to do, write a ten page thesis debunking the words "audiophool seethe"? Get a fucking head of yourself dude.

*the recording of a heavily EQ'd SR009 itself

What were the EQ adjustments? Would a similar eq work with k712?

Fact: SR-009 was rated lower than K701 in sound quality blind tests
Logically-correct assumption: worse Stax models sound even worse

here

Attached: IMG_20181226_180934__01.jpg (3480x4147, 2.53M)

Yes, enjoy your better-than-stax headphones

Attached: AKG K712-1.jpg (1654x2339, 406K)

No, measurement based EQ does not account for your personal HRTF and unique interactions between the headphone and your face geometry. That's why they had to simulate headphones through a known measuring rig and the 009 which served as the low distortion reference, instead of using the headphones directly.

That's the kicker, the study doesn't state the EQ adjustments. It could be EQ'd to be niggerbass or to look like a metal guitarist's Boss distortion pedal for all we know.
Except these aren't sound quality blind tests, they're audible distortion tests, and calling this a SR-009 vs K701 comparison is like sprinkling salt all over a Michelin star restaurant dish and some streetside trash food and asking someone to compare the taste.

harman sounds like shit tho

lol didn't harman use the dt990 as the low anchor for their study? must sound like shit lmao

Attached: 1060c51b54bfc2f8ba97d1bc769b1a18f5646938945d7478c5b00527e031e234.jpg (858x721, 130K)

Yet still SR-009 were rated lower than K701 because it even with lower distortion level SR-009 sound worse than K701. $4000 Stax sound worse than a $200 AKGs. Imagine how bad a $1000 Stax sound, kek.

also why would i shit on my own post dumb nigger

>t. triggered stax incel

No they were rated higher are you reading the actual study and not the edit?

No they were rated lower are you reading the actual study and not the edit?

imagine not owning stax and being a retarded slav kek

>harman curve is the objective goal for all headphones

Attached: hats-type-4128-c-with-headphones.jpg (600x480, 41K)

>Yet still SR-009 were rated lower than K701
In terms of audible distortion, a heavily EQ'd SR-009 was rated lower by a margin of 0.2 (you may not know but in scientific studies we have this thing called margin of error, it's generally greater than or equal to 1. I don't expect russian shithole school to teach you this though.) than a heavily EQ'd K701 played through a SR-009 that funnily enough was EQ'd once again, see below:
>All recorded tracks were then equalized to a flat response on the Stax SR-009 headphones. This was necessary because the headphone/pinna/ear canal response had already been included in the recording, and simply using the Stax headphone for playback would result in the inclusion of a second headphone/pinna/ear canal transfer function.
So by the time the AKG recording reaches the listener's ears, it's already been EQ'd twice. Pretty embarrassing excuse for a preference comparison if you ask me.
>Imagine how bad a $1000 Stax sound, kek.
So price determines the quality of a product now? Does this mean that $2000 DACs are worth it?

Stax confirmed being dumb nigger headphones

it is though
this angers the beyerfags

>it's generally plus or minus 1
Fixed, sorry.

Read the study, SR-009 was rated lower than K701 in blind tests. Stax are objectively garbage, it's a fact.

I did. I'm quoting excerpts from it and I'm pointing out how flawed it is as a general listener preference study. All you're doing is repeating yourself like a broken record.

Nikita is shitting up the thread because it's his way of throwing a tantrum when the mainstream narrative doesn't fit his. He did this for Schiit as well but unlike now his assumptions about Schiit turned out to be correct. He is angry that he can't dictate the narrative so he continuously shits up the thread to try and turn it back his way. The problem with that is it will never work because many anons bought stax already and there are plenty more that will.

Attached: ac7a5b1adcf300e850a048e040555f91a063749a3617a513acab2c473722f3f0.png (962x724, 716K)

What Dac to get? Under 150€. If possible not from china or express delivery available. Just got my SMSL Sanskrit pha and for some fucking reason I forgot to order the DAC also but I dont want to wait another month for it.

>best stax were rated lower than some mid-fi cans in a scientific research
>STAX NOT BAD SCIENCE IS BAD!!!!!!!!
lmao

You don't even know how to read scientific papers. You're in no position to call me anti-science or anti-intellectual.

Whatever loser, continue to rationalize your poor life choices

Calling me the loser when you literally spend 24 hours a day, day and night, spamming this garbage in the most disingenuous and obnoxious way possible. Do you even have a job? Do you know that everyone in this thread can tell that you wake up at 1PM GMT?

Looking for some cheapish comfy headphones that I can leave on for most of the day. Would much prefer wired to wireless

> UK
>Will be a standard laptop (not using my external dacs)
>Full size over ear
>Closed
>Willing to compromise comfort over sound quality
>Grado SR80E, FIIO F9 Pro IEMs

ANC would be good but not necessary

Both my Fiio IEMs and Grado are very good but not the most comfortable if wearing all day.

Thanks!

>t. triggered stax incel

no, dumb nigger, I'm gonna get stax after I get a 1990 and those are gonna be my 3 headphobes, unless I also get planars

And there it is. The cries of a broken man.

Attached: 1533779631539.png (680x1360, 1.05M)

skip the 1990 and get stax.

El Barto is the most alpha mfker in that class.
You are El Homo.

>stax
Objectively garbage. They sound worse than dynamic mid-fi cans.

Who what? I don't watch dead unfunny millennial shows like the Simpsons. I'm just posting a relevant meme.

>Budget
$250
>Location
Washington State/US
>Source
Workstation
>Type of headphone
Full-Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfort is preferable to Quality
>Sound signature
Don't care
>Past headphones
ATH-AD700X, comfortable but too open/too much sound leakage. Workstation is in a crowded room with other workstations and a server rack so good ANC would be a necessity. Often wear for 6-8 hours at a time, so long term comfort is also a high priority.

Attached: 1386436977293.png (680x594, 376K)

When will you learn, Nikita, that spamming /hpg/ about stax being whatever you think it is is no different from an atheist preaching to christians that god is fake? You're not gonna convince anyone ever no matter how right you think you are.

Stax incels still can't accept the fact that their headphones are inferior to cheapo AKGs, lmao

Attached: CycleOfAcceptance_Diagram[1].png (619x582, 234K)

I love my akg k7xx's

stax sodomites on therapy

Attached: alcoholism.jpg (600x386, 124K)

Leonard Bernstein use FM Acoustic system for critical listening

Attached: 1759905C-2169-4A39-85B1-672FAEC84517.jpg (900x600, 99K)

Hi

Attached: IMG_20181228_131157.jpg (3024x4032, 3.12M)

Nice, your Staxx arrived the same day as mine! Let us know how it sounds.

>they fell for the meme
OH NONONONO

Stop spamming Nikita. You're boring.

stax truck killed his boyfriend

>t. triggered stax incel

it's okay he reincarnated as a hot spring
don't be mad nikita he's in a better place now

will stax work well with my iphone x

Isn´t that amp meant for speakers more than headphones?

Stax can't work well, they are objectively garbage.

yes just get a USB dac and hook up the rcas to the stax amp and the USB to your iphone

Sony MDR-XB50AP
Is it great choice in low budget? 75% time music played is hip hop.

Attached: sony-mdr-xb50ap-original-imaevytbk5z8akks.jpg (663x704, 20K)

>literal nigbass