Microsoft now charges for codecs

>microsoft now charges for codecs

what are your thoughts about this Jow Forums

Attached: hevc-video-extensions-99cents.jpg (1600x1269, 250K)

Other urls found in this thread:

microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7
patents.google.com/patent/US6007232A/en
microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what's new

>it's actually true
Well, I'll be damned.
microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions/9nmzlz57r3t7
It's also funny how the HEIF extension is supposedly free, but according to the comments you need the HEVC extension as well for it to work.

that's always been the case, that's why you should move away from HEVC entirely.

Not a MS thing, it's a MPEG licensing thing.

>2018.9
>still using windows

Saying that, 99c is about 5 times what the licence cost actually is.

Can't we just install ffmpeg and flip em the bird?

>I'm entitled to things for """"""""""free""""""""""
No, greedy tankie. Fuck off!

i don't get it, what's the difference between buying this and just installing a codec pack? why would you buy it?

*blocks your path*

Attached: FBI.jpg (3872x2592, 742K)

Windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

Having free alternatives does not automatically imbue him with entitlement. It just means he gets to pick.

There's no free lunch. Retard.

Can't we just install a reinforced steel door and flip em the bird?

i use a lot of MS office and adobe software. not to mention videogames, so yeah, i'm still on windows.

Oh, my mistake.

Attached: Screenshot_20181228-113545.png (1080x1920, 210K)

Imagine actually believing people are only making programs for the money.

*blocks your path*

Attached: aww_sheeeit.jpg (800x450, 41K)

Learn economics, you autists.

t. somebody who has zero interests, talents and any remarkable qualities in general

Can't we just live in an underground bunker and flip em the bird?

WMP never had any open codecs to begin with. Historically, if you wanted to play x264 encoded . avi files, you downloaded MPC, VLC or any other third party media player.
Now it's the Movies app, and it's the x265 codecs. The only difference is that they allow you to buy it straight from the app.

Not a defense of Microsoft, but just stating that nothing has changed.
Codecs might have licenses, and Microsoft are dead scared of including third party products with licenses. An example is SFU, Subsystem for Unix, which was the UNIX shell and GNU utils, released for Windows XP. They wanted to include it in Windows XP, but they were afraid of a license dispute halting the release of XP.
This is the same shit. They haven't bought a massive license to ship it in Windows, so instead they give users a way to buy licenses of their own.

Just goes to show how rotten the encoding software industry is. Fuck nonfree encodings.

>blocks you're path

Attached: 2000px-Mpv-logo.svg.png (2000x2000, 151K)

Oh man, you got me. That's right, the sheckles must flow to keep goyim in line.

Attached: 1b0.jpg (1004x1024, 105K)

>one third of the comments is about the price
>one third of the comments is about the extension not working
>one third of the comments is positive and from people who couldn't figure out how to play HEVC without it

Attached: 1532723932173.png (611x607, 302K)

For all of it's faults, Linux doesn't make me buy non-free codecs for a dollar a piece from an app store.

Attached: 7cwh3vu6l7bz.jpg (400x300, 22K)

Don't worry, the free market will fix it.

It already did by making HEVC far less successful than it could've been.

Where are the magazine's

I feel all smug and superior now

*bores your path*

Attached: nowhere_is_safe.jpg (330x319, 44K)

Meanwhile absolutely nothing on Windows can play 4k Blurays (you can rip them, but you can't directly play them)

what the actual fuck?

Can't you just install ffmpeg?

you can, but pretty sure anything in the app ecosystem won't use it
now why you're using windows apps in the first place is beyond me

Pays for computer to run the software, pays for the content to encode with the software
>Youtube says no free lunches and I found it really profound because I'm a boring fuck

See

HEVC is proprietary
>charging users for third party technology

>you can own a mathematical formula

Attached: wtf.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Not a great argument when MPEG is suing your ass.

Can someone explain why burger cops don't wear balaclavas?

All Adobe software should work absolutely fine on Wine, it even has GPU acceleration support. Office probably too. And you can play most videogames on Wine flawlessly, unless it's some retarded port of a ps3 game they just spat out onto steam with no work done, or a multiplayer game with weird anticheat.

>i use a lot of MS office and adobe software. not to mention videogames, so yeah, i'm still on windows.

Then why the shittiest piece of shit windows?

Win7 is reaching end of support and it will be banned from steam shortly but win8 is still miles better than the steaming pile of shit that is win10

exactly
try to release a compressing tool using arithmetic codes

Can you explain why they should?

>Can someone explain why burger cops don't wear balaclavas?

They dont fear retaliation.

>Can you explain why they should?
In my shithole of a country the cartels will identify the cops, dox them and butcher their entire families

People with that much influence could get that duty roster instead.

I have some bad news for you.
patents.google.com/patent/US6007232A/en

I, for one, welcome our new google overlords.

back at you, retard
>implying intellectual property is intellectual or property

av1, motherfuckers, av1

HEVC is shit anyway, use AV1 or VP9

MS does it for everything, they just do it directly here. Example, they charge Nintendo for every user with the exfat driver, that's why Switch requires an internet update to enable that and can't get an exfat driver through offline means: Nintendo wants to know how much exactly they should pay MS.

Yeah just install AV1, OP.

Attached: file.png (1391x443, 40K)

This won't stand up in court. However, the fact that using it may lead to a lawsuit with Samsung is probably enough to prevent most people from using it.

It will be a while before AV1 becomes mainstream (at least on a normal consumer level). Right now only the big players can throw enough processing power at it to release new videos at a reasonable pace.
>VP9
You gotta be joking, mate.

this can't be happening, I am in charge here

Free version
microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

What's it like being too mentally deficient to use a search engine?

This is the sort of thing that used to come with the operating system, along with DVD playback. Wake up, Microsoft is nickle-and-diming you. """Premium""" solitaire, paid codecs, ads everywhere. Edge would be a $5 addon if they had the market share to do it.

Ha, I remember having a DVD drive in my Windows XP machine and not having the MPEG2 codec to watch movies without also buying some software. Nothing new.

Why is VP9 a joke? Its free and better than HEVC

>And you can play most videogames on Wine flawlessly, unless it's some retarded port of a ps3 game they just spat out onto steam with no work done, or a multiplayer game with weird anticheat.
This is just a blatant lie.

I suddenly like your country. Based pig hunting.

>Not a MS thing, it's a MPEG licensing thing.
so how FOSS plays HEVC for free?

>FOSS
what are donations being used to pay for it for 1000, Alex

>Free version
>microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq
this is HW enabled codec. Without Intel 7th gen or Pascal it wont work.

Nah, this is baby's first shill, simply has the Wine cock down this throat. The final form of the epically mockable Winefag is the one who insists that programs run FASTER on Wine than on Windows.

Like most things in FOSS land, it's "stolen" (in the IP sense of the word). This sort of thing has a long, long history - don't think for a second DeCSS was the first bite of the cherry.

Mainly because we don't have a good non-commercial encoder for it. libvpx is a joke.
Also from my experience it sucks at lossless compression. Can't really say more than that about its pure potential (ignoring any practical drawbacks) as I only ever compared it to VP8 and not HEVC.

I mean, sometimes old games won't govern their speed on Wine, and run at an uncontrollable pace. Installed that old TBS Axis and Allies for my uncle, and it ran at about 20x intended speed. But yeah, Wine makes a person want to kill themself if they use it for much.

Am I missing something? Couldn't people just install VLC/MPC/MPV and use that instead?

How many people do you know do that?

> Hurts boomers and retards
Unironically great, if you're stupid enough to use Windows in the year of our lord 3000 - 981 - 3 days, that's your problem

t. college-age jobless redditor

fuck off idiot

>The final form of the epically mockable Winefag is the one who insists that programs run FASTER on Wine than on Windows.
This is unironically true, though.

> t. college-age jobless redditor
Newfags can't quote.

Stay in school and don't do drugs, kids.

Attached: 1544236585077.png (625x626, 121K)

They don't charge YOU for codecs. They charge idiots for codecs who don't know any better, which is a good think because their money is better in smart people's money. Stop being a fucking communist you leftist faggot.

Yes, vlc is pretty much standard. Then you don't deal with any of this stupidity.

>think because their money is better in smart people's money
*thing because their money is off better in smart people's pockets

Attached: 1426390486933.gif (280x210, 1.41M)

Well, you can install anything you buy in the store in like 5 computers you are logged in into, so there's that...

mpv plays ultrahd content just fine

The only Microsoft software I used is Windows and remote desktop.
Through my entire life it's never made sense to use any of the bundled software on my own machine.
>explorer
>image viewer
>media player
Since 1995 there's been better third party alternatives.

Regardless, I don't see how this is a bad thing.
Windows users now get to save a buck instead of having these stupid royalty costs bundled with the base OS.
Maye people will consider things like AV1 now.

Who loses.

Criminals are afraid of cops, not the other way around.

They always did. Usually it is just bundled in the cost of the OS.
Or rather, Microsoft paid the royalty fee for you from the cost of the OS. Now they pay it from the cost of buying the codecs from the Store.

I don't trust this.
libmmdb64 is 39KB and the libaacs and libbdplus already in the mpv directory are 3MB combined.

Its the American way

Even mpc-hc/be?

I wonder why vp9 isnt as widespread in the piracy community?

Because there's no good encoder for it. libvpx offers no proper multithreading or psychovisual tuning and doesn't have a proper bitrate control when doing single pass encodes.
Plus there's not a big demand for open standards in the piracy community to begin with. They use what works best and (often even more important) what they are familiar with, which is HEVC for low to moderate bitrate and AVC for high bitrate encodes.

Also they tend to use what is best supported on devices, which isn't VP9 (at least not yet).

I was never this young.

You're remark doesn't impress me, kiddo. Not sure what you were expecting.

No hardware acceleration= goodbye battery life