Smartphone OS general

I've been thinking about leaving Android for the same reasons I left Windows on the desktop years ago
Instead of making a thread to ask about the subject, I suggest a general smartphone OS thread to talk about the up and downsides of known OSes
So far I know about the following

lineageos.org/
lineageOS: a fork from Cyanogen's discontinued Android-based alternative

postmarketos.org/
(not fully implemented)

puri.sm/
(not yet implemented)

e.foundation/
(currently crowdfunding)

I've been thinking of trying to install lineageOS and run some tests but I fear for the app compatibility and am uncertain about whether or not it'd make any difference at all to avoid using Android but being hostage to some of Android's native apps(mainly banking and online chat platforms).

Attached: smartphone.png (494x491, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

e.foundation/
hackernoon.com/leaving-apple-google-e-first-beta-is-here-89e39f492c6f
youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get an iPhone or download a stock expirence with lineageOS

I'm mostly worried about privacy and excessive usage of google services. It's exactly why I fear that LOS may not be an useful upgrade from the stock rom. It does seem a lot freer, however, which is already a step-up.

The best OS would be Replicant but they only support old phones.

>I'm mostly worried about privacy and excessive usage of google services
>It's exactly why I fear that LOS may not be an useful upgrade
nigger what
LOS doesn't have any of the useless google shitware bloat unless you flash it yourself afterwards but you'd have to be a retard to do that.
Yes there's still hardware botnet like the baseband processor but still

>I've been thinking about leaving Android
>I've been thinking of trying to install lineageOS

Attached: cheers.png (592x595, 232K)

what about using services that specifically require me to use native Android apps such as, say, Spotify or Uber? what can be done in regards to that kind of i'm-a-hostage-to-google situation?

m8 are you retarded ?

You can look for FOSS alternatives from a FOSS store like F-Droid or get apps from the google play store without having google services installed/google account via a store sideloader such as Yalp store (it's on f-droid), then it depends on the app.
Some apps will warn you that they need google services to work but they still work fine (such as Ampere).
Other apps will straight force close or crash because you don't have google services installed (such as Photomath, personally i use this app but managed to save the .apk of an old version where it worked fine without googleshit)

also yes lineageos is android
lel

Add UBports and Maemo Leste to that list

>I've been thinking of trying to install lineageOS and run some tests but I fear for the app compatibility and am uncertain about whether or not it'd make any difference at all to avoid using Android but being hostage to some of Android's native apps(mainly banking and online chat platforms).
You can use Magisk Hide for those and look for FOSS or open source alternatives. Also, use microG instead of Gapps. Lucky Patcher can also help to remove Play services dependencies if your banking apps or similar software doesn't function without it. Same applies to:

best os for galaxy note 5?

macOS

e.foundation/ is just a forked LineageOS:
hackernoon.com/leaving-apple-google-e-first-beta-is-here-89e39f492c6f
with LineageOS itself being a fork of Android.

The most promising ones you listed are postmarketOS and PureOS because they are just ordinary GNU/Linux distributions but with better UI support for the mobile form factor which is really what's needed as an alternative to Android/iOS. The good thing about Purism is that they are working with projects like GNOME to upstream their contributions so more distributions will benefit and ideally you could run any GNU/Linux distribution on your mobile phone.

>I've been thinking about leaving Android for the same reasons I left Windows on the desktop years ago
What reason would that be?

>Sailfish OS
Can still run android apps
>KaiOS
Still google botnet
>Blloc phone (and OS)
Still android but with a different approach

Attached: IMG_4202.jpg (874x1200, 157K)

>wants alternative mobile OS
>won't use lineage in fear of being unable to use app like Spotify or Netflix etc
user, are you really serious of leaving android when the proprietary shackles are so clear to us?
get lineage of microg website, no google shit. Install aurora or yalp if you need something of play store. If you need root, flash with magisk (magisk manager makes it easy to hide from selected apps in it's hide menu)
as for non Android, I think that decision would start on a hardware level since support isnt very wide. correct me if I'm wrong

also, what happened to Ubuntus mobile system? That vanished as quietly as it came

Attached: 1533141625339.jpg (1032x774, 157K)

And of all things those are easy to replace - just transfer music to your device and load into your favorite audio player. And for watching movies/TV on phones - obligatory:
youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0

closed source music files have always turned me off music services like that, don't get how that's not a more common sentiment.
TV/movies the only video player on f droid worth using is vlc, can't find an alternative. Pretty surd Netflix works with LOS(microg), maybe it needs magisk hide but I've it working now anyway

>/e/ comprises a mobile operating system (OS) and carefully selected applications, which combine to form a privacy-enabled internal environment for mobile phones. It is associated with common online services – a search engine, an email service, an Android application repository, and online storage. The whole environment is free from Google services.
Isn't Lineage already ungoogled

My hands and fingertips get quite dry and cracked pretty easily so the fingerprint sensors in most smart devices don't work well at all for me.
How is Apple's FaceID technology? Seriously considering switching from Pixel 2 back to iPhone just for this. I'm tired of "Fingerprint not recognized... fingerprint sensor is dirty... Too many times, try again later" messages constantly... and Apple products are polished AF

Stock Android - 6/10
Stock iOS - 8/10
Android if you have time to waste - 10/10

Works great. I have an iPhone X.

Just get a used iPhone OP. I really isn't as bad as everyone makes it be and has lot of benefits.

Finally gave in and preordered the Librem5.
Tell me I did good Jow Forums..

Attached: 1367902662047.gif (533x300, 733K)

Sailfish is what I'm thinking of trying out. Looks nice and I like the idea behind it. Have you tried it before?

You did good fren

You did good user. We're all gonna make it someday...

Attached: tumblr_onbu55ZSYP1vnoon8o1_540.jpg (540x540, 38K)

>What reason would that be?
Originally, performance. Then I realized the freedom that using GNU/Linux gave me and how intrusive the Windows OS was. Now I'm facing the same concerns as I feel too dependent on google services and, honestly, I don't feel in control of my privacy walking around with stock Android on my pocket.
I'll take a look on Sailfish OS.

>user, are you really serious of leaving android when the proprietary shackles are so clear to us?
honestly, it's not that I won't use LOS, it's that I'm concerned in investing my time to get it running before I know if it's actually a practical alternative to stock Android. Just the tips you gave me on this post are enough encouragement for me to try it out and take a closer look: I now know it's actually possible, and not a fruitless endeavor. That means, thanks user
I'm quite legitimately a pleb when it comes to mobile OSes, hence the silly questions