Locked down ARM toys good

>locked down ARM toys good
>open x86 platform bad

Attached: 1528587931090.png (408x431, 105K)

actually no one in this boards argues for ARM

>x86
>open
They all come with an unremovable intel/AMD+NSA backdoor.

>x86
>open
Absolutely proprietary

POWER is the last hope

Yet ARM has no BIOS. So easy to just install any distro you want, right? Oh wait......

How does ARM being shit make x86 somehow less shitty? Neither are open. And with an unlocked booloader you can install different operating systems on an android device so I don't see your point.

>with unlocked bootloader
x86 doesn't have this problem

there are free (libre) bootloaders for ARM devices, look up U-Boot

>Have to install U-Boot.
>Doesn't come OOB.
>Just get an unlocked bootloader, from these two obscure manufacturers.

This is why nobody will ever take ARM seriously.

>I can't be bothered to look for products that I actually want
>therefore they don't exist

>obscure manufactuers
Like Google and One Plus? Google is the least obscure manufacture and last time I checked their phones came with unlockable bootloaders. I'm pretty sure one plus is one of that most popular Chinese ones. ARM is practically no better or worse than x86 in terms freedoms/openness unless you're retarded.

hope has been silenced user

Congrats. So that's two manufacturers.

More Like:

>Download ISO
>Boot into ISO
>Install OS on my x86-64 Motherboard.

Just Werks.

>Hunt around for ARM compatible ISO.
>Finally! Download compatible ISO.
>Wait, ISO isn't compatible with my SoC.
>Now I need a JTAG to install U-Boot.

Wow, ARM. So Great. Truly Freedom Inspiring.

>x86 doesn't have this problem
Microsoft Surface.

Don't mind me, shitposting on my totally safe Amiga 1200 with a Motorola 68EC020. No NSA backdoors here.

x86 only has two manufactures, what's your point? why are you sperging out over an entire processor architecture for no discernible reason?

You mean RISC-V.

uboot came preinstalled on my MIPS SBC, I'd imagine it's not the only board to do that

Attached: imagination_ci40.jpg (1000x960, 430K)

>>open x86
>literally only 2 companies that make x86 cpus (via doesn't count)
>locked down arm
>literally a billion companies make arm cpus

Problem is that every company that makes ARM SoCs licenses the basic ARM core and then glues on their own special proprietary garbage that is completely incompatible with every other manufacturer. Sometimes they change that proprietary crap from generation to generation, just because. Either way, enjoy needing a binary kernel module that only supports Linux 3.16 LTS just to be able to boot your system. This kind of shit is why every phone needs its own special Lineage ROM, and why retarded franken-distros like Raspian and Armbian exist, you can't just boot generic images on ARM like you generally can on x86.

Snapdragons and Mediateks are pretty much standard in smartphones *dabs*

his point is that you're a disingenuous retard if you unironically try to push the false equvialence that the x86 ISA being controlled by two companies (ARM is controlled by exactly one) is the same thing as ARM devices being almost universally designed and locked down around a fixed use case and software stack

Step 1:Shut down your Surface Pro

Step 2:Press and hold the volume-up button

Step 3:Press and release the power button while holding down the volume up button

Step 4:Release the volume up button when the Surface logo appears

Step 5:Select ‘Secure Boot Control’

Step 6:Select ‘Disable’

Step 7:Select ‘Exit Setup’, then ‘Yes’ to save and restart the device

>open x86