Grey Goo Human

We've probably all heard about it. A nanobot swarm that can take any atom, change it to its needs then self replicate untill there's nothing left to consume, an end of the world scenario.

I think I've got a better idea for the tech.

Up load a human consciousness into it. 1 could hold the entire memory and brain function then build an interconnected network of bots to make up a body.

Best part? It could change anything around it to grow bigger or change it something else, like, make an apple from water and vice versa.

Attached: gray-goo-diagram.gif (360x300, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xkcd.com/865/
exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, but whose consciousness it would be? Everyone at the same time, like LCL ocean in Evangelion? I want to live independently, goo can goo fuck itself.

>Up load a human consciousness into it.
Which will be OK until the space magicians turn up and vaporize the nanobots.

And that's about equally likely too.

>A nanobot swarm that can take any atom, change it to its needs
oh yea that sci-fi thing that only appears in sci-fi

Like most extant things

Only one, you don't need a hive mind.

Bump

xkcd.com/865/

Its a fucking r*ddit meme. Manufacturing chips requires processes out of reach for gay ass nanobots, just for starters.

Attached: D1890DCEF71E47FE9FE0A0407B1986A6.jpg (493x470, 34K)

Like the replicators from sg1?

Your premise requires faultless replication at each generation. Cosmic rays, coronal mass ejections and gamma ray bursts notwithstanding.
The goo is in the same league as dragons except it is more contrived.

I feel like it'd be more realistic if the bot cluster could only take metallic forms

Eh, close enough

Great, so for such a being to be possible you essentially have to figure out a way to convert matter without any by product or a way to quickly contain and use it?

Eh probably, it probably be easier too.

How's this any different than microbes, locusts, rats and other critters

You don't have a better idea. That idea is decades old and has been feautred extensively in scifi books, e.g. in the culture series or quantum thief

byproducts of assimilation aren't important, the problem is that the creation of grey goo is like the replication of DNA.
When making a copy, you're bound to fuck up and lose information, and you need a way to build redundancy and repair errors, otherwise you hit hard limits on the number of copies you can make.

more like gay goo

>Reddit meme
Holy fuck how young are you?
This idea has been floated around for decades now

OG website of end of the world scenarios

exitmundi.nl/exitmundi.htm

Really? That's great. I haven't been able to find anything like this idea, I'll i can think of is Amazo for the justice league show that ran on tv during the early 2000s.

If anyone can point me to material with this idea I'd love to look into it.

Fair enough, so the nanobots need to make a perfect replicant every time, and the only time that changes is when you want to make improvements.

So, make it like an industrial line, just no misshaps?

You cant change an atom without massive amounts of energy

It isn't. Earth was terraformed by organic life to have Oxygen, nitrogen rich soil, etc. Grey goo already happened four billion years ago.
But if someone manufactured a new grey goo that was designed to massively outcompete the existing stuff, then it could potentially do really nasty shit like raise the ocean pH to 11, fill the atmosphere with botulinum toxin, and consume every sugar, lipid and carbohydrate it comes across. The capacity for destruction is only limited by the intelligence and maliciousness of the creator.
As for accidental grey goo, it's unlikely. It might spread a lot and join the ecosystem, but unless it was designed to indiscriminately destroy life (and was really fucking good at it), something will be out there that can compete with it and equilibrium will be found.

better question is how old are you

Attached: 1537655163626.png (293x270, 41K)

it was literally the plot for an episode of justice league unlimited

Said dumb attention whoring anime pedo fag.
Sweet.
Bet YOU are twelve max.

Grey goo opposes not only humanity but life itself, if the grey goop for instance didn't have the means to evolve, then getting gooped would mean not only humanity but life itself dies out eventually. The grey goop may not necessarily have any intelligence either. So if humanity ever develops a grey goop, they must ensure it has intelligence and the capability for evolution, otherwise life is fucked.

Had a dream where I telepathically pissed off some greys, even they, as advanced as they were, we're still experimenting and unsure about the capabilities of grey goo. Basically they took all their information they've accumulated from themselves, the universe, and our planet in order to create this new goo, they were finished studying us so they released the goo onto our planet. They gave it to me since in my dream, they considered me the pinnacle of human evolution. I had the option to quickly destroy it, or let it live, I tried burning it, smashing it, cutting it, and every time it regrew stronger, taking on every shape of every living organism imaginable as it healed and grew in size. I had the option in the lab to use liquid nitrogen on it and then dump it into molten metal, but was unsure whether I should let the human race advance, or be replaced by a superior organism.

Grey goo already happened, we are literally it.

It not my fault von Neumann was such fucking brainlet