No degree

>no degree
>3 years experience as a developer for a Fortune 500 company (got in the door as an intern)
>want higher pay; boss says no
>start applying to places
>turned down for mid-level positions because not enough experience
>turned down for entry-level positions because no degree
>turned down for internships because too much experience
I have 75% of a CS degree. Is my only hope to go back to school and finish?

Attached: 1511301953619.png (509x411, 18K)

It needs to be illegal for companies to ask if people have college degrees. There are state colleges with decent online degree programs.

Sounds like bs. Stop working and looking at companies that require degrees. Problem solved

this isn't real. move to the Bay Area

install gentoo

Your resume must be shit or you have no connections. Both are your own fault

Most companies require degree, the ones that dont are startups.
Not having degree will fuck you over in the long run. It gets harder and harder getting promoted without education because in corporate world your promotion is not decided only by your direct supervisor. Plus it hurts in negotiations.
People who say degree is unnecessary are either new to workforce or content with being entry level forever.

My anecdotal experience is that degrees don't matter, if you have the experience they will hire you. Depends on the company too, the ones I've worked for allowed me and the rest of the engineering team to handle interviewing people with HR there for advice and to send emails etc. If you have to go through an HR filter before engineering even sees your CV then that's where it'll get thrown out by HR if you don't have a degree listed.

Im not talking about getting hired. Try to get promoted to manager position without a degree. Either you didnt read my post or you read it poorly.

that's some buyer's remorse

A degree is like a certification. Assuming the program is ABET accredited the curriculum is pretty standardized. Sure, like anything, you can teach yourself but employers have no way of knowing what content you've learned. Testing each candidate for that information during the hiring process just isn't realistic so requiring a degree is the best option.

Im not from third world shithole, my degree was free. But I only have bs and regret not getting ms.
Feel free to live your life however you want zoomer, just keep in mind one day you will understand what Im talking about. You can put all the effort you want and not get shit for it because resources will be spent on some cuck whose only quality is having a degree.

that's some buyer's remorse

Didn't make that clear in my reply. I've seen people get promoted from entry all the way up to lead / manager positions in various companies and some of them didn't have degrees. It's all about how well you network and the perception the higher ups have about the work you do and the projects that have succeeded with you involved.

I've never worked anywhere where they ask for your degree / CV for a promotion or a sideways step into managerial role. I'm sure it varies depending on the company, just what I've observed in the last 3 places I've worked at which were all software companies, not consultancies.

This doesnt happen where I work. Maybe because I spent my entire career in banks.

Do you understand what free means, or has fortnite fried your brain for good?

"My way is the only way" yeah no... if you have aptitude getting promoted isn't a problem. Doing a mediocre job and expecting a raise shouldn't happen in the first place and that's where you need your meme degree insurance.

You have 2 people doing equally good job, one has degree, other doesnt. Who will be getting a promotion, considering only 1 person can be chosen?

>I have 75% of a CS degree. Is my only hope to go back to school and finish?
yes just finish it in night class

>If you have to go through an HR filter before engineering even sees your CV then that's where it'll get thrown out
so you mean every major company?

Sounds fake or you are drastically over selling your current company. If you have 3 years of legit dev experience send your resume to a recruiter and you will get opportunities.

None of the major companies I've worked at. The relevant engineering team manager filtered through them.

I'm at the point in life where I just don't care if I get into IT or not. I've got certs. right now I've got only 15 yrs to go till I can retire from my current job w/full pension + 401k + medical coverage. I'll be 50 yrs old. V.S the private sector where the average retirement age is 65 if your lucky. I'll be gaining 15 yrs of just being able to do whatever rather than doing the daily work grind. I don't got any debt other than house so I'll be in good shape.

This situation doesn't seem very likely. Does your imaginary company promote people arbitrarily?

???

In IT (eg. Network Eng) and programming /dev jobs bonafide promotions are usually reserved for significant milestone achievements. You still get paid more while not being promoted through yearly reviews. In the corporate world promotions are typically for people who will be making more decisions that have a larger business impact so they aren't given out like candy. You can never be promoted and still get paid handsomely from recognized your skilled labor.

Get a fucking online degree, it's a meme but it werks

Find a diploma mill.

>turned down for mid-level positions because not enough experience
Sounds like you just need to stay there and get more experience on your resume?

Do uni's there allow you to take a test to finish a course? If that is so you should be capable enough to be able to do that considering your experience, so just sharpen your knowledge and take the tests so you can get your degree without having to go to classes or quite your job.

Easy experience + degree.

Yeah lots of people in the Bay Area don't have the degree yet still code for a living.

This has been my experience too. I got a 2 year IT/sysadmin trade diploma from a local college.
The glass ceiling is too real for those without a cs degree.
It doesn't stop at the pay, your coworkers will think less of you once they find out that you don't have a cs degree.

Attached: 1562921426701.jpg (882x960, 76K)

It doesn't matter in the sense that, after a year of experience no one will ask about your college grades or degree outcomes during your job interviews. Having it on your resume is still important.

>A degree is like a certification
wrong. a degree nowadays is basically a glorified iq test

>BS and MS degree in CS
>apply for 300+ jobs
>0 interviews

degrees are a meme

Yeah, and op failed it with a 60
Brainlets like that don't deserve money

Anecdotally the opportunity cost of going for a masters (or God forbid a PhD) doesn't pay off. Having 2 years of relevant work experience puts you way ahead of a grad student trying to get an internship

Name a bigger racket than the american higher education system. You can't.

it's a racket because it's run by leftists who can't produce real value so they have to ponzi their way through life

>muh commie boogieman

The interviewing process is more akin to an IQ test than attaing a college degree. If someone is unintelligent, it will become very apparent during the interview/whiteboard exam. Hiring managers care more about your job experience than where you went to school which shouldn't be the case assuming a degree is treated like an IQ test

there must be something seriously off-putting about your CV

>computer
>basedance

It's probably a meme, but the engineer title IT degrees really get the employers dicks hard.

That being said there is no reason for you to be unemployable if you're an experienced person who can code or do web dev.

Set up your linkedins and whatever else. People will be searching for YOU. I know this chink faggot who studied mechanical engineering, wasn't getting shit, but the moment he put "I know some HTML stuff from highschool I guess and I can copy paste javascript and know basic C++" in his page, he started getting 2-3 calls every month or so about it.

Get your company to pay for your degree, you tard. You're already in.

several directors in my department have no degree, try again

The rest of american life isn't much better.

If you already had 75% of your CS degree, why did you not finish it?

I have hired countless of people, but the main markers for success are motivation and perseverance.

You are in a bad spot regardless:
- If you do not mention the time at college the Interviewer will ask what you did during the gap
- If you do mention it, the Interviewer will ask why you did not finish it.

You can overcome this, but you need to have good (made up)answers prepared, in the end it is better to mentioned you finish about 75%.

Have someone else make your CV because you clearly are inept at it.

The US medical insurance industry.
They artificially drive up prices and then negotiate them down with hospitals, so if you try to pay for medical care yourself you end up spending something retarded like $40k just to deliver a child.

I'm a Network architect. All the positions at my level require a 4 year degree (or the yuropoor equivalent)

I'm currently entry/mid level "network engineer", what certs+degree would be good to get to the architect level? What is the pay like?

what i did to justify gaps were family problems/helping elderly family members

If you're that close to finishing it, yes.

suck my strong

Architect is mostly experience, but a CCIE or CCDE never hurts (I don't have either). Keep growing and make sure your current role lets you do some entry level design.

I'm in the midwest and my salary is 130k a year.

Attached: 1545970542984.png (478x677, 275K)

OP here. I quit my job and enrolled full-time for Spring semester.

Lie and say that you have one.

>I'm in the midwest and my salary is 130k a year.
Jesus, that's almost double what I make and I feel like I'm doing well compared to most of my peers.
Not to mention that living in the midwest really makes your money go far.

unironically suck your boss' dick

>people here don't understand the importance of having a 3/4 year B.S/masters degree could mean the difference between getting a visa
Who am I kidding, you never leave your mom's basement anyways

Attached: 1522974451935.gif (333x194, 1.78M)

that's some purchaser's regret

I DUNT NEED NO DEGRII, I CAN BE AN INTERN FOREVER!!!

Attached: 220px-Sam1888Edition.jpg (220x233, 19K)

You can be perfectly successful without a degree.
Stats show you'll probably do way better with one, though.

Nigs look at steve jobs and bill gates and whoever the fuck and imagine they quit school to jack it to anime all day and they start thinking they can make it, but they don't have the drive and autism to work hard on a goal without formal education interfering. That's what these farts did, they saw opportunity and took it. You're taking the opportunity to fuck your life up by not wanting to get a degree in the field you're working.

Very rarely a degree won't matter, but it technical sciences, it does. Even if you think you don't learn shit, or are actually not learning shit there, the degree is the key to jobs. Nobody will take your word for granted when applying for a job, and even if you pass their tests, you don't even get there without a degree. They don't even look at you. Your fate is decided by what shows up in your CV how spergy the human resources faggot is feeling today.

So the danger is that a good portion of people are not mature enough at 18 to do well at college. I knew that was me, so I didn't go to school - it worked out. You do need to have a plan though. Some of my friends also didn't go to school, but continued to work at dunkin donuts and jack it to anime. 4 years later, they're still there.
Going to school does have it's risks though, I know a lot of people who dropped out and are now $60k+ in debt, or alcoholics, etc.

I managed to jump right into IT and be employed right out of high school. 4 years later and I'm making ~$55k with good benefits, and also working on my degree. Plus side is that by the time I finish my BS, I'll have a pile of money and no student debt. The downside is that I might be farther behind the guy who went to college and entered at a higher level.

I don't exactly know this western culture of taking a year or two break but that's literally the norm where you live probably. You're not an abnormality for it. Taking time off to see what you wanna do is not the same thing as just not wanting to get a degree and having no motivation to go further in life.

There is almost no difference between starting college at 18 or early 20s.

I'm in the US, and it is certainly not the norm to take a year or two break. You're basically expected to go right to college, and while people do take other paths, they're often the exception.
The problem is that in the US, with the party culture associated with school, many students fall into a cycle of drinking/partying instead of studying, and fail out or drop out. Considering that a year of college here can cost easily $20k or more, you see how this can be financially devastating.

Right now, I'm not really worried about school since career is accelerating on it's own.

See if you can convince your employer to pay for college. Once you get out you can start applying around.

>Try to get promoted
People don't get promoted nowadays.
There's zero upwards mobility and the way it works is that you just apply for a new better position rather than wait for the company to bump you upwards in the corporate ladder.

>I'm in the midwest and my salary is 130k a year.
Midwest or "midwest"?
Cost of living in Chicago is significantly higher than Kansas City.

Chicago shouldn't be considered part of the mid-west. I'm in KCMO.
desu if you are smart with your money 65k is not a bad salary user.

Attached: 1546205577148.jpg (503x1024, 75K)

Am I seriously the only millennial who lied about having a degree?

Why would you lie on the internet?