I want to start studying computer science as a minor. Which operating system should I use in class...

I want to start studying computer science as a minor. Which operating system should I use in class? Which one will make my life and my work the easiest? If it is Linux, which distro will make my life and work the easiest? Sorry for interrupting your shitposting on this board, but everything I could find online is contradictory or focuses on simply Mac Vs Windows.

Attached: maxresdefault-1.jpg (1280x720, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Install Gentoo

Windows 10 + Linux dual boot

If you don't want or care about Word or Visual Studio, Linux.
Linux + Windows if you want Unix and Windows specific applications.
Mac: Same as above but if you're mentally challenged.

>Linux
Is a kernel, not an OS.
>Windows
>Word
>Visual Studio
These are proprietary software and the enemy of your freedom, do not use them.

The only correct answer is that you should use the operating system that runs the software you need, which means Windows or Linux. If the software you need runs fine on both you should pick Linux, as it's far superior as a development platform.

Development on Windows is a nightmare and Visual Studio is ass. I personally would use Linux or Windows depending on what they want you to do for your classes. I don't use Windows at home and rarely at work, though if I absolutely had to I would go for an extremely stable enterprise edition, maybe server, embedded, point of sale, or data center or something like that.

Now on the Linux side of things I already know what I want. I'd go with Ubuntu or Fedora, since that's what all relevant software is packaged for. Debian would also work, or even Devuan if you aren't using systemd dependent software. For text editing I would recommend VS Code or Emacs, or even Nano for small edits if you're already digging around in an open terminal. When talking about Linux it's also important to specify a desktop environment or other graphical interface. Just save yourself a boatload of trouble and use KDE from the get go.

And then there's Mac OS X. It's flashy and has nice wallpapers but it doesn't actually do anything that Linux can't, has less software than both Windows and Linux, and it only runs on $2000 Intel trashfires with keyboards that break from dust. I would never recommend Macs or Mac OS X for anyone in my line of work unless they're developing iOS/OS X applications and have to use XCode.

Attached: 1538942469695.jpg (265x190, 8K)

Pretty much this

Not really. Linux is operating system family built on Linux kernel.
So, OS is linux
Kernel is Linux kernel
Source:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

>Linux is operating system family built on Linux kernel.

No, it's not idiot. Linux is a kernel developed by LInus Torvalds. What you're refering to is GNU/Linux. Back then, when Richard created the GNU project, he was missing a Kernel. This was also around the time Linus made his kernel "Linux" free as in freedom. Richard then adopted the kernel into GNU and what most people refer to nowdays is GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1522902918895.png (1593x1060, 320K)

If I had plenty of money but could only have one computer, it'd be a 15" MacBook Pro with VMWare Fusion running various Linux distros.

Luckily, I do have plenty of money and that's what I have, along with a Windows PC for gaming.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 9.57.44 PM.png (1500x938, 1.52M)

No, Linux is an operating system. Linux kernel is a kernel.
Just look it up, dummy
Do a web search "what is Linux" and you'll see it's an operating system.

Imagine having so shitty consumer based OS, that if you want to attract competent, serious users you have to use another OS inside your OS, because your OS tools are this shit.

Can you show me where to download this "Linux operating system"?

Aš I said, it's Linux OS family
There's arch Linux, Gentoo Linux, Ubuntu Linux, Linux mint, Kali Linux etc etc etc
In the end all these OSes are Linux.

There's no such thing as the linux OS family.
Gentoo is an OS, Ubuntu is an OS, Mint is an OS. Linux is a kernel.

install Hanna Montana OS

Why are you arguing about words having different meaning in real life than in your own?
What are you trying to accomplish?
You think it's cool to be a rebel, different?
As I said, look up what's Linux. All world calls it OS. And I'm saying all because the irrelevant minority is nothing compared to rest.

Post scriptum: what you named in this post are actually distributions of Linux OS.

Still waiting for a link to download this Linux OS. I was able to find a place to download the Linux kernel, but no OS. Where is it?

Wow thank you so much.
Do you think arch Linux could be useful in the long run or should I just stick with Ubuntu?

Install Gentoo. If you want something easy but good install fedora.

>All the world calls it an OS
Not even Wikipedia does

Attached: Capture+_2018-12-29-22-25-20.png (1440x2392, 518K)

>Linux is a kernel

Attached: d.jpg (625x400, 149K)

>>>>>>>>emacs

>Linux is a family of free and open source software operating systems built around Linux kernel
Wikipedia clearly knows what is a Linux kernel and what is a Linux based operating systems.
Linux based operating systems, aka Linux distributions or just Linux in general. Good source for this is distrowatch website

If your school provides a free AWS or Azure subscription, I would make an Ubuntu Linux VM in the cloud and SSH/VNC into that do all your work over the cloud. As for your thin client, you can use whatever you're currently using now.

Also ask your CS department if they can give you an account to use their Linux machines. You can SSH into their machines as well so you won't have to create your own.

I am not confident that using cloud computing is worth setting up/ managing / even available when I could just set up and use my system locally. I will however keep this option in mind and maybe consider it as I continue to inform myself about the topic. Thanks mate

this

>Linux based operating systems
I don't want an OS based on Linux, you keep claiming Linux is the OS, I'd like to know where to download the Linux OS.

Dude who cares. Just recommend a distro and let it go.

Is English your second language?
Linux is a family of FOSS OSes. These OSes are also referred as Linux distributions.
All these distributions (like Ubuntu, Gentoo, antegros, openSUSE, etc) are part of Linux OS family.
Unless you speak about specific distribution (like Ubuntu), it's just Linux and Linux OSes (aka distributions) uses Linux kernel.

>These are proprietary hurdhur

Shut the fuck up you autistic faggot
He wants to learn, not spend 5 weeks setting up his shit.

Later he'll worry about that

linux
also mac isnt it's own os like linux or windows, it's of bsd
it really burns my piss when people clasify that POS as it's own os

>Linux is a family of FOSS OSes
Nice backtrack, originally you said the OS was Linux, not a family of OSes, now you can't show a link and you admit you were lying.

>it's just Linux and Linux OSes (aka distributions) uses Linux kernel
So the only thing the distributions have in common is the kernel, which is called Linux? You do know a kernel is not an OS right?

Do not waste time apologizing for the harmful actions of proprietary software developers, they are beyond forgiveness.

>Development on Windows is a nightmare

wat

you heard him

debian based distro with NetBeans, eclipse, kate, or geany

windows on your good computer, arch on a 100 pawn shop labtop.

Read my posts in this thread. I mentioned like 5 times now that Linux is a family of OSes. And this post is third one which replied to you with same statement.
And in general, if not talking about specific distribution, it's just Linux.
If, however, you're referring to GNU bloat which got popular in Linux distributions, and pretend retarded that there's no possibility for Linux kernel to exist in Operating system state... Then look up Alpine Linux. Or any other distribution which instead of GNU bloat uses musl libraries.

*$100

>backtracking & damage control

Attached: 1528847626872.jpg (859x478, 35K)

You also said Linux was an OS, stop trying to confuse the issue.
>Alpine
Is an OS. It uses a kernel called Linux. It's also a distro for containers and not meant for general use which is why it doesn't include a full userland such as GNU.

Will relying on free software really be a hassle?
In theory I agree with the philosophy of free software but I am more than willing to rely on proprietary software if it is easier and more/equally useful. When I start university, dealing with setting up software is the least I want to do

This is how I rolled, except back then I would SSH into my school's Linux machines and simply resume my tmux sessions. I wouldn't run an OS locally, there really is no point because it's cumbersome and you get terrible performance.

Dual booting is contrarianism.
>Linux
>Is a kernel, not an OS.
Enough of this bullshit, noone fucking
cares.
KYS macshill/gaymerfag.

Are you so fucking dense?
Linux IS an OS, in general. And it uses Linux kernel. This is what I'm saying in every fucking post, imbeciles.

>Linux IS an OS
What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>Linux is an OS
Okay then show me where I can download the Linux OS. I've asked this multiple times and every time I do you backpedal and say it isn't actually an OS but instead a "family of OSes" which makes no sense, because the only thing those OSes have in common is a kernel named Linux, and as you know a kernel is not the same thing as an OS.

>Linux IS an OS
Not even memeing, it isn't you retard,.
It's a kernel, which operating systems, like Debian, use.
Why is this so hard for you to understand.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

Sounds good, where can I download the Linux operating system?

Pedantic morons keep reposting the same shit.

So you have no argument?

Ok OP, I had the chance of working with windows, macs and linux laptops.
The tldr: macs are terrible to work on for everything, windows is awful for anything programming related but you're used to it, linux can go either way - you can land on a distro and DE which work perfectly for you, or on something which makes you pull your hair.
My recommendation if you're going linux - Kubuntu (ubuntu with KDE) or Opensuse, pick a stable release, not a rolling one, you don't want to have to fix your machine when you have projects due.
If you have the laptop, just start installing different distros on it and see how it works for you

God OP please don't install Arch. You'll break your machine, blame Jow Forums and miss several deadlines

I use Arch Linux
Suck my black kosher cock, ganoo poster.

Nope, i'm a debian poster you archfag.

>Tell these retards that Linux is an OS in general form
>Tell them that majority of the world calls Linux distributions just Linux or name of distribution, but in general form it's always Linux
>after almost 10 posts... These braindead retards does not comprehend what "Linux OS" means
Imagine being this brainlet, that only literal things applies to words.
Imagine being literal

inb4
>lol, backtracking, damage control, moving goal posts
I'm writing same shit in past, almost, 10 posts, you, dumb fucks. Except that you read only what you want.

Attached: npulb1hiyat01.png (989x741, 352K)

I feel like classmates will know exactly who I am after I post this lol. Anyways I was recompiling my custom kernel every 3 days for Arch to work right on my laptop. Ubuntu had the pre-compiled package but "muh arch" mentality wouldn't let me use it.

OpenBSD.

Attached: smuggie-openbsd.png (1200x903, 267K)

Whatever they tell you to
I'm serious
Don't get fancy when your grade is on the line or you will be up at 2AM in the morning trying to get your programs to compile in the environment they expect you to have.
Operating system shopping is for your own time.

this

Thank you for saving my ass my dude. If I decide to use a Linux distro, I guess I'll go with Ubuntu. Unless there is a distro that is much better to study CS. You guys know better, until someone advises me not to, I'll probably go with Ubuntu

Either MacOS and GNU/Linux. Both are posix systems so the development tools are where you expect them and the shells will be familiar.

Windows is gaymer only pajeet trash

Nice

Where can I download the Linux operating system user? You told me it exists.
No more (You)'s until you can give me a link :^)

>look guys, how retarded I am!
Congrats, dumb cunt. That's my last you to you too.
Get a cancer, moron.

Manjaro Linux. If you need any windows software just run it In a VM.

mac runs all 3 oses, a lot of developers use them
windows is fucking gay

>Backpedal and say dumb shit 10 times
>That makes it true!
Even you admit Linux is not an OS.
Why do you insist on trying to confuse people?

Please do. Beginners memed into Arch are the worst forum faggots imaginable, so please go by the rule "take it easy on things you don't understand well yet". If you're getting the hang out of it later on, you can still jump on another distro then, but Ubuntu is one of the best suited distros you may get as a beginner.
t.Arch User

Attached: 1538341158917.png (1173x2093, 1013K)

>I want to start studying computer science as a minor.
That's fucking retarded

Java 101 -> learn it yourself and in a better language like C++
Data Structures -> learn it yourself in a 1/3 of the time
Systems Programming -> learn it yourself
Discrete Math -> just take the math proof course
CompArch -> learn it yourself while going deeper than the plebs
Algorithms -> learn it yourself in half of the time while going twice as deep

Whatever you do, little man, make sure to avoid ubuntu at all cost.

If you have brains, hackintosh
If you have money but no brains,

Depends on what your profs/TAs expect you to be using. Ask them.

If they don't have a specific answer, I'd recommend using a popular linux distro (e.g. ubuntu). OSX works just as well, but you'll be needlessly spending more money. If you're already particularly comfortable with Windows, you could probably make that work too.

I want to major in philosophy, and if you want to major in humanities, they require you to minor in a different field. That's why I'll study computer science.
Lmao

Minor in math and do a lot of logic courses.

Lmao are you trying to dictate what I study?
Are you bored or autistic?

Use dual-boot of Windows and Linux. Will save you a lot of trouble.
Here's my story
>inb4 blog
I switched to Fedora right on the middle of the 1st semester. I was planning to install it alongside Windows on winter holidays, but my hard drive crashed in the middle of autumn, so I decided it was a reason to switch to Linux altogether. You know, going hardcore and stuff. I also was a stallmanist at the time.
It was fun and all, but I had troubles with courseworks starting from the second semester, like problems with documents layout and styling. Dunno, what was really the fault, .doc and .odt incompatibility or me being not really proficient with word processors at the time.
The last straw was the time when we had MS Access database as our coursework. Using it on Wine and library computers didn't cut it and I failed it. Then I said fuck it and installed Windows 10, passed the database coursework, passed another one, didn't have time to install Linux again until summer. I installed it (alongside windows this time) but realized that I don't like Fedora and Gnome and their windows-like architecture and bullshit developers anymore. Got to switch to Arch this January.
Btw I kinda sorted out my document writing. I still dislike text processors, so I write my docs in Markdown, convert it through Pandoc to docx and do the last bits in Word. My summer practice and this semester's coursework were written like that. Gotta improve it, learn Latex or Lout meme so I have to touch Word or Writer as little as possible.
(cont.)

(cont.)
As for distros I recommend maybe a year or half of some *buntu distro or Fedora or this Manjaro thing and then go to Arch. The faster you switch to Arch, the better. Because these "easy" distros do not represent the actual point of linux, they hide it and mimic some another mainstream os. Using these you may learn some terminal commands, but overall you still will think like winfag or macfag, because that's the experience these distros imitate.
Trust me, I used Fedora and Gnome for a couple and became "do dis do dat for me" linux macfag for a while, this is definitely not an improvement.
Arch, on the on the contrary, encourages user to do most things manually, starting from installation, but provides an easy package manager and really decent handholding wiki. So it's the best choice if you actually want to learn Linux and appreciate it's Unix-like beauty.

Bump. I wrote too much to let this thread sink

The distro does not have to represent the "true Linux" but help me get a degree with the least amount of hassle

Just want you to be aware that you're wasting your time and money.

thank you, next

Both Linux and Mac work fine for programming if you don't care about freedom. Even Windows is sort of usable with Windows Subsystem for Linux. But you should choose Linux because it respects your freedom and you can install a tiling window manager.

>MS Access database as our coursework
Your school is shit.

I thought the same when that happened

Please don't fall for Ubuntu shills. Install Fedora.

triggered wintoddler

This. Ubuntu is literally much better than Ubuntu as it has newer software while being equally stable.

If you’re *that guy*, Linux.
If you want weird awkward discussions with that other guy, Linux on a Thinkpad.
If you’re cool kid and don’t care about being despised by those guys, OSX.
If you’re a normie, Windows.

>no argument
lol !