I love being a software engineer

best job in the world

Attached: 1545739899687.jpg (944x978, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/San-Francisco
hiredintech.com
twitter.com/alicegoldfuss
smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-base-salary-total-compensation-21449.html
study.com/academy/lesson/total-compensation-definition-strategy-elements.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Even that amount of money won't help you get laid, nerd.

HOLY SHIT

you could almost afford a studio apartment in sf with that salary!

250k a year and you still have to spend 2/3 your paycheck on rent.

but it's in SF, so it all goes straight into real estate, whether renting or a mortgage

not true. but i doubt these are actual starting salaries, even at google

They aren't salaries, it's TC

This is only a good salary if you don't mind a 500mi commute.

"the total compensation package" aka your mandatory life insurance policy because so many of their employees fucking kill themselves, their overpriced healthcare that you're forced to buy that doesn't cover dental or vision, stupid fucking programs that don't fucking do anything (last "company" I worked at had an "international exchange program" that gave employees the """opportunity""" to work in global offices, live in new places ,and learn from colleagues from other cultures), "flex schedules" as long as it's convenient for them, "unlimited PTO" until you've taken too much, a "vacation reimbursement program" that doesn't cover what YOU did, actually
probably the only worthwhile "culture" "benefit" was yoga every thursday so i could stare at some asses
couldnt even get the xe/xer/xiggers there to get me telecommuting / work-from-home, but no, there was always free rounds of golf, or some stupid brunch, or whatever, meanwhile we have a pizza "party" every month that's literally just a department meeting (even in a board room / conference room) but with pizza. and of course a "volunteer" 5k run that is literally almost forced to sign up, the one guy i knew who worked there who never participated was let go in favor of someone who did. so. whatever.

now i do contracting. much better. "total compensation package" is lower but take home pay is higher and none of my would-be salary is tied up in stupid shit i don't use that somehow costs the company 200 grand while my take home was less than half of that. now i'm bringing back 150k pretax on average.

Gonna apply to all these companies.
Any tips?

Base salary and bonuses are almost always more important than perks/bennies/on-site-amenities. Though I really do love having a gym at my workplace.

TC isn't perks, it's Salary + Bonus + Stock.
Nobody is counting free food into this figure.

>2/3 your paycheck on rent.
nah thats like 3k a month
source:me

i got a invitation to work in linkedin

What the fuck do a job ads website do they need fuckload of developers? i get why google and facebook. also lyft and airbnb

>San Francisco, California
Doesn't sound like the best jobs ever to me.

Be black
Be female
Be a "coder" not a programmer

>muh computer word
Electrical engineering Is the only respectable field rated to computers, also one of the only fields not filled with cuckssee

numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/San-Francisco

good luck with that...
good thing i live in europe and i get the same amount of a senior eng and being tax free

Total compensation means income you fucking retard.

I mean its pretty shitty you either have to work remote or work on a company doing utter bullshit most of the time if you don't want to live in that hellhole SF, its so degenerate they have to have a team just pick the human shit off side walks from hobos. good luck with that.

Also be those things in that order, your identity as an oppressed group is much more important than being a programmer.

hiredintech.com

the excuses Jow Forums makes for its own mediocrity. get a job you fucking degenerate

twitter.com/alicegoldfuss

This is an activist. Almost never talks about code, has almost none on github (even though she works there), and still gets invited to talks all the time which she refuses to go to unless they pay for her.

I'm not saying its hard to get a job anywhere but there is a really warped hive in tech right now that don't give a fuck about tech that makes me not want to work anywhere near SF.

non-tech industry worker here, can someone explain to me what the heck t4, l4,e3 ic and swe mean

Level on the job ladder
Software engineer

who needs housing when you can sleep beside your work PC for warmth

with all that salary it goes to the cost of living, like $5,000 per month for 1 bedroom plus food expenses, etc.

nothing special faggot

t. salty flyover fag
apartment is only $3000 here

leetcode your brain out

Why are you so poor you have to rent an apartment? I never understood renting if you gonna work somewhere just buy an apartment.

l3 is new grade, after 1.5 years they are promoted to l4

>l3
>not l1
Makes sense.

Attached: 1545522333236.jpg (256x256, 27K)

a degree gives you superpowers

>almost 2019
>living in California
Get the fuck outta that state man

This. Google employees literally sleep in their cars in the google parking lot because they cant afford rent on their salaries.

It's worth waiting because the housing market will correct itself soon enough. Already seeing signs in California and the Boomers are getting desperate.

They're saving to retire in 5 years.

nah they're just spending minimally in order to leave that soul-draining employer by the age of 30.

>only $3000
that is a lot for a studio user

How much do you make ?

5 years? At that salary?
I guess you could do that if you move to a shit hole.

>only $3000
$3000/month is enough to rent an acceptable apartment, own a car, pay for groceries, and still have a bit left over to put into savings (not as much as you should be saving, but it's something).

How many years as a software engineer before one can retire?

I would kill for 3,000,000 american dollars, so I can retire in some small town in Mexico, eating freshly made mexican food and just partying with the locals.

Fuck my life, and only earning 60,000 a year, I'll be fucking 70 before I can retire.

Stay in school kids.

yeah, you have to apply the Valley Living Cost factor of 0.25 to those salaries to get out the real value

>How many years as a software engineer before one can retire?
depends on how much money you want to save. I'm already a millionaire but not retiring anytime soon because i can

>3,000,000 american dollars
That's probably way more than you need to retire in a cheapo country. Dudes somehow surviving with a 10th of the income of the average burger.

Attached: 1546128232545.jpg (1024x1024, 94K)

I would be cautious to take on a very high paying job role. Part of that huge pay packet is to buy your loyalty, so that you never so much as dream of competing against your employers. You'll likely share your ideas with them in the hopes of further securing your spot in their ranks. Worst of all, you'll be so dedicated to making someone else's dream come true(r) that you'll neglect to be creative and make your own come true.
Gates, Zuck, and the rest are worth billions, and I'm sure they pay their programmers well. However, those programmers won't ever be worth anywhere near that because they'll likely never risk their jobs by trying to compete or dare to be entrepreneurial.
Be careful and know what you’re signing up to. Also, high pay usually means your amenities expenditures and living expenses are higher. But I’m sure you still have plenty left over after taxes; not like here in the UK where the wage is shit and rent is exorbitant.

60000 is good, do you live in some blue state?

>San Francisco
>San Francisco
>CA
>CA
>San Francisco
>San Francisco

yikes, I wouldn't work there even if you paid my rent for my one room apartment.

>imaging being this salty
other than rent, everything else costs the same

400k is not a very high paying job in silicon valley user, it's actually the medium pay at FANG

You don't stay in the west coast for long. You get a job at a big name company right out of college and man up and suffer Cali for 1-2 years. Then you can apply to basically any other company and be instantly hired while still making good money without needing to live in fucking Cali.

The only people who stay in Cali are literal faggots.

No it doesn't dumb fuck.

Compensation is the sum of everything you get in exchange for your work there.

This is why you dont work there.

Idiot.

>400k is not a very high paying job in silicon valley
>400k is medium pay at FANG
literal retard alert

L5 is literally the largest group, around half the engineers are in that band

>being this retarded

>San Francisco
Why do companies locate themselves in shitholes?

retiring at 30 usually doesn't mean "never work again", but rather "I'll only do work i enjoy from here on out"

you are aware that other businesses exist in that area and the vast majority aren't paying such inflated prices, let alone for their average employee?

Then why would I work for them dumbass?

because FA(A)NG don't hire every applicant

yeah they won't hire losers like you

>Title name
>T3
>L3
>IC1
>L4
>T4
>E4
>IC2

who comes up with this shit?

If you do these, buy a cuck van. One of those live in Ford Explorer kinds that basically functions as a live in home and spend your weekends living in your parents driveway while saving EVERY penny you make.

Then once you hit enough to outright buy a house somewhere away from these terrible shitholes, just outsource yourself and make the similar money but on your terms while using your van as your onsite living arrangement while charging expenses of a local hotel to make more money while living in the company car park, using the car chargers to power your battery.

Don't fall for the san fran meme.

> Jow Forums worships asian girls
> especially fobby ones
>largest amount of FoB Korean, Japs and Chinese in the Bay area
I'm always confused.

oh no, i've been found out.
Haven't applied yet, i'm not getting my hopes high though, applying from Europe and being a fucking white male and all that.

Attached: 1541527794132.png (611x869, 467K)

>largest amount of FoB Korean, Japs and Chinese in the Bay area
What are they doing in Cali?

Attached: 1540770561378.webm (1280x720, 2.91M)

thats why being a remote software engineer is the best job

>just outsource yourself and make the similar money
LOL nice dream buddy. You're not going to get anywhere near the same amount of money working remotely.

What blows my mind is how many SWEs these giant companies employ. What the fuck are 10k+ developers building on a daily basis? Are large portions of them just jacking off creating essentially nothing or do they really contribute to the bottom line? I can't imagine the 80/20 rule applying when each person is paid so much.

is she being obnoxious or am I a bitter cunt?

Attached: 1525030598956.gif (360x270, 2.61M)

wtf is a software engineer? just a programmer?

This. It would take one developer a month or less to make anyone of these companies main products from scratch.

figuring out a solution is a lot more work then copying it.

lmao what? this isn't accurate at all for google

>"the total compensation package" aka your mandatory life insurance policy because so many of their employees fucking kill themselves, their overpriced healthcare that you're forced to buy that doesn't cover dental or vision
google healthcare has dental and vision and literally costs nothing (ghip)

>"unlimited PTO" until you've taken too much
nope, 15-25 days / year depending on seniority

>couldnt even get the xe/xer/xiggers there to get me telecommuting / work-from-home
"why do they make me do work? :( :( :("

>now i do contracting. much better. "total compensation package" is lower but take home pay is higher and none of my would-be salary is tied up in stupid shit i don't use that somehow costs the company 200 grand while my take home was less than half of that. now i'm bringing back 150k pretax on average.
total comp = salary + stock + bonus. it doesn't include stuff like 401k match (free $10k+), healthcare, or any other shit.

where the fuck were you working that was so miserable?

Yeha but the bad part is you have to live in Commiefornia srsly you cant eaven owen an Ar15 there

>Are large portions of them just jacking off creating essentially nothing or do they really contribute to the bottom line?
Yes.

There's always stuff to do, even if it's just implementing whatever bullshit new regulations the Europeans came up with.

note that all of those jobs are in CA where you will pay 2000 dollars a week to share a 80 square meter room with 5 spics

>total comp = salary + stock + bonus. it doesn't include stuff like 401k match (free $10k+), healthcare, or any other shit.

Except that's not true.

smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-base-salary-total-compensation-21449.html

>When looking at total compensation, companies offer common types of benefits. Typical compensation packages include health insurance, performance bonuses, vision and dental insurance and retirement plans.

study.com/academy/lesson/total-compensation-definition-strategy-elements.html

> Total Compensation is the entirety of benefit offerings that a company provides to a team member in exchange for work. This compensation includes, but is not limited to health care benefits, educational incentives (i.e. tuition reimbursement, etc.), vacation time, paid time off, flexible schedules, location options, retirement, work environment, special programs, and yes . . . salary.

The other guy clearly knows what he's talking about, you...not so much.

>2000 dollars a week
false, it's more like $2000 a month for a studio

>What blows my mind is how many SWEs these giant companies employ. What the fuck are 10k+ developers building on a daily basis? Are large portions of them just jacking off creating essentially nothing or do they really contribute to the bottom line? I can't imagine the 80/20 rule applying when each person is paid so much.

Not everyone is building user. Some write tests, bug fixes, writing documentation, etc.

>implying you can be FoB if you never left your own country
Asian love California, is this like news to you?

Yeah but it's only $36,000 a year. When you make $350,000, $90k in taxes + $36k in living expenses still leaves you with $224k after tax disposable income.

If you lived somewhere where rents were cheaper, your salary would also be lower. No way you'd clear $200k+ savings a year living anywhere else. Silicon Valley is garbage, but the pay can't be beat.

Based and redpilled. Thanks for clearing that up user

That's not how programmers mean TC.

I did not thought linkedin was that important.

I'm European and almost done with my master, how do I get such a salary?
Would be happy with half of it desu.

I hate being alive.
Worst thing in the world.

>I'm European and almost done with my master, how do I get such a salary?
they only hire from the top 5 universities, you are out of luck.

>$350,000
From [1] it looks like those in the 90th percentile make less than 200k, and that's total remuneration, not just basic pay. So we'll take that as a starting point. According to [2] total income after taxes for the 90th percentile will be around $70k. And from [3] we see that we need around $44k per year for necessities. So that leaves us with a total of around $26k per year in savings. And this is for someone in the top 10%. For someone in the bottom 10% you'd end up -$19k.

What I'm trying to say is, you idea of $200k savings per year is pretty fucking wide of the mark

It's Total Compensation, not salary.

Attached: wowTheAntiSpamHasGottenABitAggressive.png (1920x1080, 68K)

?? you read an article about one person autistically doing this and extrapolate it to everyone

i have a 'shit' sw job, making exactly 100k/yr salary, and easily afford an apartment in the city and buy whatever the fuck i want lol. i put 0 thought into budgeting or thinking about money and my bank account still goes up. the 'sf is soo expensive' meme only applies if you're dumb enough to buy 5 $15 cocktails every night. none of u go outside, so your only actual expenses will be a 2k apartment.

glassdoor says google starting software pay is $112,000. the sounds much more real. i don't know why people make up these bullshit graphics. to invoke jealousy I guess.
average SF rent is $3.2k per month. California taxes are a few points higher than elsewhere. comparing that to the midwest that's about $82,000.
About 2x as much as a starter job anywhere else, but google has like 5 rounds of interviews and a million people applying for those jobs.

That's just the salary retard.

>According to [2] total income after taxes for the 90th percentile will be around $70k
>source: my ass
90th percentile income IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY is already way over 100k.

Those companies hire anybody that is capable AND a few to meet the diversity quota. Don't kid yourself, if you don't get hired there you aren't capable.

>What is reading comprehension
90th percentile is the starting pay for the Google employee I started with. That 90th percentile employee ends up with $70k after tax.

No, the starting Google pay is 200k. Stop pulling shit out of your ass.

Where the fuck are you getting that from? I cited where I got my 90th percentile from.

I1 and I2 might be support positions. It's like that in the government; hardly anyone is GS-1 any more.