Let's have a real talk, what are technological disadvantages of linux compared to windows or mac...

Let's have a real talk, what are technological disadvantages of linux compared to windows or mac, and how can they be fixed?

Attached: ufkmepte1ru01.jpg (1024x1024, 54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=ryzen radeon touchscreen laptop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit bait, go back to /b/

Software compatibility would be better if devs were universally less shit. The solution is nothing, we just have to sit here and be sad about it.

Flatpak, Wayland, and Pipewire need more work. Panfrost, bcachefs, and that project to reimplement OpenGL on top of Vulkan should all get finished and mainlined into Mesa.

Basically the problems are known but we need more time/money/manpower to fix them up right. The best part about Linux is that none of these solutions except SoC specific drivers are tied to a specific CPU architecture so all that polish will get applied everywhere.

>I don't know shit about this, therefore is bait

Attached: 1545003679306.jpg (356x374, 36K)

It's legit Linux discussion. Why don't you go back to /v/?

What about the Nvidia issue user?

The Nvidia issue is solved by not buying from Nvidia. Their software is shit on Windows too.

My only issues are Office 2016+ and being able to use a touchscreen across all applications normally, like scrolling up and down a textbox or zooming in with a pinch while hiding the cursor. Nothing is being worked on to solve these two key issues with Linux, and it pisses me off, can't even use it on a fucking laptop that could really use the speedup and privacy GNU/Linux provides. Basic essential features only Windows has a total monopoly on. Apparently it's something you can simply enable through qt or gtk with a simple api call, but impossible to achieve unless you feel like manually compiling each application individually after adding those few lines to whichever section of the application is calling qt or gtk.

Stop buying their garbage hardware. They really do cripple your monitor's color outputs and are otherwise garbage on Linux.

>these two key issues
No one gives a shit about those.

What about every single person who uses Windows, those are the only things in the world that Windows has that Linux doesn't people would eat Linux up if they had those simple features.

Perfect hardware combo for a modern Linux laptop has not been made. Ryzen CPU + AMD GPU for passthrough and a touchscreen. Find that combo and I am sold.

Let me interrupt your run-on sentence for a sec.
Microsoft makes Office.
They are the ones to bother about that.

As for the touchscreen stuff, I use a touchscreen just fine with all my gtk applications.
I didn't even have to set an environment variable or anything too un-normie for your delicate hands.

lmgtfy.com/?q=ryzen radeon touchscreen laptop

Disadvantages: You can't run CAD software. You have to use Kdenlive over better proprietary video software. You need wine to run photoshop and proprietary music creation software. Unlike Mac you can't really make iphone apps for the world's small minority of iSheep.
Can't think of any others. And to use wine sometimes is barely even a disadvantage. There's little reason to not switch nowadays even if you don't care too much about freedom.

Well similar to the iOS vs. Android argument, the Linux "ecosystem" is too fragmented for it to be a truly competitive community against Windows.

For all of its faults, Windows has some semblance of uniformity that gives users (and vendors) some peace of mind.

Attached: judging.jpg (577x720, 53K)

No results. Stfu nigger. AMD GPU as in something like an RX560, not a fucking built-in garbage GPU that can't handle photoshop at 30fps.

Well to start with, nothing works on Linux.

To fix it maybe they should start charging money for it.

Bad comparison. Android is like Windows.

Can you scroll with one finger in the middle of a body of text by dragging? Can you hold down a finger to right click? Can you pinch to zoom in with your thumb and index finger? Can you hide the cursor, which makes little sense while touching, but have it quickly come back when you use the mouse, touchpad, or clit? Can you swipe the screen with a flick to scroll rapidly in the desired direction with comfortable acceleration? Can you swipe from the side of the screen to pull up currently used applications that you can switch to?

Without any of these features by default it's useless to a normie, I would settle for having to work my ass 6 days to add this functionality, and it still doesn't accommodate me. I've used Linux for years at a time, Gentoo, Arch, Debian, Arch with OpenRC, dozens of distros, I am very familiar with it as an operating system and tried really hard for a long time to get these basic ass touch features to work on Linux, touchegg, ginn, fucking everything that is available, NOTHING. NOTHING is there. NOTHING is even being worked on. NOBODY has even started working on getting any of this to work as it should in any distro. It's one big crapshoot, and far too difficult to get working beyond recompiling each and every fucking application that uses QT or GTK, in 50+ different programming languages to use their half-way-done solution for developers to play around with. How is it that android gets it right, but Linux can't even run a fucking emulator for android that lets you touch the screen in emulated android as it is done in android. It's absolute shit.

Well RedHat and other developers that matter do not target such users obviously, so you really should not expect anything there really. I wish that could change, but its very unlikely.

There are none. Technologically it's superior in every way. The issue is subpar software written for it.

Touchscreen supports is getting better. Whether KDE or Gnome, touchscreen support is decent (but not great) if you use wayland.
I get correct pinch/zoom if I use chromium. There are still many places/applications where the support is poor tough. It's definitely not where it should be

Good post from someone who knows their shit.
Name-dropping pipewire and bcachefs, like who the fuck are you bro

I'm just a guy who discovered Linux via Jow Forums a decade ago and managed to turn that into a career.

bcachefs in mesa? isn't that a graphics library/project? and isn't bcachefs a filesystem for SSDs?
and im also skeptical that X11 is really worse than the windows equivalent however you want to draw those distinctions though id still like to see it be adopted/adoptable soon

what are some technical benefits that wayland has that you see as important for the desktop target?

sounds like a technical disadvantagle of linux huh

>there are 5000 different PC configurations and each one requires a special snowflake version of windows tailor made for it, updates are handled by HP/dell/acer instead of MS, and trying to unlock the BIOS requires wading through an ocean of shit just so you can install a hacked up custom version of windows maintained by hobbyists who will drop the entire project in 2 years

Attached: 1523516461922.jpg (240x240, 51K)