/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a Mini-Review of your Smartphone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 140K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/132819039542
ebay.com/itm/152925456128
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb
gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_view_20-pictures-9468.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Recently got me a Xiaomi Mi 8, all great except I've got no signal since I've turned it on for the first time. Phone does detect the sim but the radio status is off. Tried wiping and updating a few times but still same issue. Any suggestion? Can't flash shit cause the phone is still locked and it requires mobile data to unlock.

Attached: Spinning_thinking_emoji_2.gif (256x256, 352K)

is mate10 pro good buy for 250 eurobucks? i dont care about camera, rooting/flashing, geyming and other meme activities. i care about battery, solid performance and solid build quality. will it last me 2 to 3 years for web, video and calls? is there a better alternative for same price?
>inb4 poco
it is considerably more expensive

Attached: huawei-mate10-pro-41.jpg (503x600, 44K)

For that price it's a good buy.

Where can you get it for that price?

Try setting up your carriers APN settings manually.

Which one, guys? Please help.

Attached: helpanon.jpg (810x590, 215K)

All I want is a cheap phone with a MicroSD card slot. I'm in USA and I'm on T-Mobile.

I'm searching an universal wallet/phone case like this: ebay.com/itm/132819039542
But without glue. I'd like something with a spring similar to this case: ebay.com/itm/152925456128

Can you shills recommend anything good?

Attached: 1518340722651.jpg (640x775, 106K)

Is an (used) Xiaomi phone with LineageOS flashed on it the best bang for my buck?

I simply want the best value deal.

Tried that but it simply doesn't find any networks.

Why not a brand new redmi note 5 or 6?

id take the s8
>much better display
>much better software
>much better build quality
>much better camera
>much better design
>easier to operate in one hand
Xiaomis pictures are deceiving. Bezels on their phones are much bigger in real life. The most notorious example was original MI Mix, but they have done it with pocophone too. It wouldn't even be a problem if it didn't have big rounded corners which make the bezels seem even bigger than they actually are. Really bad look. If you are looking for short term phone then there is no doubt, go with s8. If you are looking for long term phone poco has advantage because of its battery and slightly better cpu, but Id still take s8 because poco is big, ugly slob of a phone and it will look very outdated in a year

what network?

Because there are many ads locally for used Xiaomi phones that look intact.
Redmi 5 plus is like 148 dollars
Note 5 for 200
Note 4 for 100
They are all flawless kept with screen protector and a case, still have years of warranty too.

I also found Mi Bands 2 for around 12 dollars which I would pair with a Xiaomi because I do cardio daily.

mobile

Pocophone without a doubt, the S8 is shit and its locked down

what carrier? dumbass

The only thing that weighs on the side of the poco for me is unlockable bootloader, i will not use MIUI. But S8 looks so much better, and the screen is awesome.

Hows the battery on S8?

I can pick both for the same price.

Go for a used redmi note 5 or 6 then. There are plenty of custom ROMs for the note line.

Yea bro go for it bro.

How many times are you going to ask? Get Pocophone. Better performance, MUCH better battery life, better cameras with GCam, better update support, better custom ROM support, more durable build.

Great, but do these prices sound alright to you?
I am only now turning to androids so I have no idea, had only iPhones so far but I am tired of their prices. Xiaomi and their 5% profit philosophy sounds like a blessing.

I don't see why it should matter considering the radio itself is off and no matter the carrier it detects any SIM but doesn't find mobile networks

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-30-22-54-55-551_com.android.settings.png (1080x2248, 93K)

I am not rich. I just want to be sure.
Thanks for the advice. Much more anons recommended poco, i think i can`t run from it.

>Hows the battery on S8?
Much better than S7. When new it lasts whole day if you don't go crazy. I used s8 for short time so I can't talk about how fast battery will deteriorate but from my past experiences that would be my biggest concern. I really hate it when I have to constantly charge up my phone. Maybe Im just spoiled by big battery phones that last almost 2 days. That way I feel comfortable with phone even after 2 years of use because instead of becoming half day lasting phone it becomes whole day lasting phone

I can buy a brand new redmi note 5 for 200USD here in Brazil.

Carrier: Aldi Mobile (Telstra)
Price:1200+AUD
Size: Currently have a Oneplus6 so it is not a issue.

Camera: Needs to be good
Headphone jack: Needed
I'm considering getting something that can load custom ROMs/root but I'm still on the fence, haven't decided yet.

what do you mean the cell radio is off? also it does matter because depending on who your carrier is, it might not support/pick up the LTE bands the network uses
so again, what carrier?

200 for Note 5 sounds like a lot when you can get it cheaper new:
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-redmi-note-5-global-64gb

>Headphone jack: Needed
why tho? is it really a problem to connect a dongle to your standard headphones and leave it connected?

Oneplus 6

Yep, you are right, it's not a great price, I only now found new Note 5 for exactly 200 dollars.
But what about the 100 dollar Note 4?

>But what about the 100 dollar Note 4?
Meh, the Note 4 is kinda old already, Note 5 is worth the extra.

Don`t go for the note 4. SD625 It will not last for long.

tell that to the Mi A2 Lite owners that just bought it on here

>what do you mean the cell radio is off
that it's literally off. Anyway my carrier is TIM, 2nd biggest carrier in the country so highly doubt it has anything to do with em. As I mentioned before, it finds no networks even with different carriers' sims.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-30-16-23-12-499_com.android.settings.png (1080x2248, 185K)

Thanks, half the price was enough to trap me lol

How long should I expect to get official or at least decent unofficial LineageOS on a Note 5?

is it in airplane mode? have you gone through the settings to see if mobile data is turned off?

Can anyone with a Note 9 do me a solid try 'Run graphics test" in recovery mode? It just gives me an error for some reason

Why would someone buy a mi a2 lite if you can have a redmi note 5 for about the same price?

android one and a headphone jack, also bigger battery than the Mi A2
guess they don't mind being notched

>is it in airplane mode?
nope, as you can see my wi-fi is active.
>have you gone through the settings to see if mobile data is turned off?
yeah turned it on and off a few times, still the same, no signal

I think your preferred network type is wrong, try changing that

What game/app should I play/use on my Poco to fully take advantage of its power?

Also which is the best and reasonably priced gamepad for it?

Thought so too, sadly it just doesn't "stick". Like I'd go for LTE/WCDMA but as soon as I close that phone info tab, be it by using the home button or the back one or even rebooting with the tab still open with LET/WCDMA open, it just reverts back to that Global shit option

Attached: 1528897228664.png (571x521, 94K)

the fuck, what region is the phone set to? TD-SCDMA is used in China, what retailer did you buy it through?

>what region is the phone set to
Italy
>what retailer did you buy it through
Bought it online from some local shop, it's a global rom model. Guess I could always send it back but since it's sunday and I got nothing to do but fix this shit I've been trying to figure out something for a while

Is the Pixel 2 still a worthy and good phone to use in 2019?

Roms are there already, quite a lot of them too and everything werks, though front cam has issues if you're using pixel 3 gcam.

overpriced jewgle shit
might as well be an itoddler

I think its one of those bullshit 3rd party ROMs, if you don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it, get in touch with Xiaomi and ask if you can bypass the wait time for unlocking the bootloader due to suspected 3rd party ROM and want to flash MIUI.EU ROM, they should cut the wait time down considerably

There is an offical lineage 15 (though the developer is no longer active)

Pubg

idk man, when the phone turned on the first time it had some miui 9 rom and autoupdated using the official current rom. even tried with the one off their website with local flashing (since I can't access to the bootloader). starting to think it might be some hardware problem

I mean getting the latest LineageOS for a couple of years (even though i know it's not really necessary)
I guess I will lack the 5 year support that I have from Apple, but with their prices, it's worth it.

I'm thinking of getting a LG G7 ThinQ, Google Pixel 2 XL or Samsung s8/s9 note

Any advice? Was leaning to the LG G7 for the headphone jack but defo need a always on display

$600 for a sd835 is robbery, just get something else.

return it, get an official international version

Is there a big diffirence between microsd with Class 10 and UHS-I ?
Can get my hands on Toshiba M203 32GB for half-free.

What does it have to do with smartphones? It's 2018 lol

>i dont care about camera, rooting/flashing, geyming and other meme activities
Nice cope. It also lacks a micro SD card slot and 3.5mm audio jack. Guess those are "meme features and activities" as well. It's at least solidly built and the battery performance is great.

Well, don't run from it and stop posting this in every general.

>much better display
Not without its shortcomings - from anecdotal reports it's extremely fragile and burn-in is still an inherent problem.
>much better software
Yeah, locked down with no custom ROM support, but at least Samsung is at their third attempt of developing a half decent UI implementation.
>much better build quality
Glass better than polycarbonate plastic? Go away and never return.
>much better camera
Just claiming this out of the blue confirms nothing, but at least there's Gcam to drastically improve Poco's camera performance.
>plastic on top and bottom bad
Enjoy your accidental touches.

>from anecdotal reports
aka another way of saying people talking out of their ass. If you drop any phone (CAT and similar rugged phones excluded) from pocket height it can break. It all depends on how it lands and on what material. Best thing you can do is to avoid phones with poor build quality and hope for the best. And the fact is, today there are no bad quality flagships. Now if you are clumsy person, by all means, get plastic or metal back phone with rugged case and screen protector, but don't think that plastic back will save you.
>but at least Samsung is at their third attempt of developing a half decent UI implementation.
You clearly haven't used samsung flagship made in last 2 years. Their software is good.
>Glass better than polycarbonate plastic? Go away and never return.
You are putting words in my mouth. I said better build quality not better materials and i stand by it.
>Just claiming this out of the blue confirms nothing
It is plain and simple. Pictures and videos taken with s8 look better than pictures and videos taken with pocophone whether you use stock camera or gcam.
>Enjoy your accidental touches.
I knew you didn't use samsung flagship in last 2 years, now i know you haven't use one since s6 edge

Is Linege OS any less of a botnet than Google's version of Android?

>I guess I will lack the 5 year support that I have from Apple, but with their prices, it's worth it.
And you should be glad about that, because their "updates" give you battery throttling or random shutdowns if you disable it. Also, Lineage OS isn't the only custom ROM available, you're good.

it has 128gb of storage an my music folder is not even 20, why the hell would I need sd card? also, answer this

>It is plain and simple. Pictures and videos taken with s8 look better than pictures and videos taken with pocophone whether you use stock camera or gcam.
It is as plain as simple as you saying something and people just taking your word for it. Provide some comparison photos if you're so adamant about this and your S8.

>it has 128gb of storage an my music folder is not even 20, why the hell would I need sd card?
Sure, but don't pretend your use case is the end all be all for all users and that the lack of features is a plus.

looking for a phone under 250 with a good back camera... something that doesnt lag like shit. micro SD slot necessary pls. thank u folks.

Attached: 641702604spottedchevrotainsindianspottedchevrotainyalanationalparkdirtroad.jpg (960x540, 59K)

>don't pretend your use case is the end all be all for all users and that the lack of features is a plus.
Im certainly not pretending that. Why are you getting so combative anyway? I was asking if phone was good for me based on my needs. If it fulfills all my needs I couldn't care less about features it lacks (like sd card which I wouldn't use even if it did have one).

nth for meme mix 3

every day until it arrives

Attached: xiaomi-mi-mix-3-donovan-sungs-image-1-1600x1066.jpg (970x646, 120K)

dont even think about it for the price that you are paying for that piece of trash might as well get an iphone.

The Pixels are the most returned phones ever, lag, freezing problems, overheating issues.
used to work for verizon so I can confirm.

Is there any phone I can buy I can control it from my pc?

>Provide some comparison photos if you're so adamant about this and your S8.
Do you really expect me to spoon feed you? There are plenty of samples for both phones, albeit not identical since they are 1 year apart, from different manufacturers and different classes so nobody made direct comparison but that shouldn't be a problem for person with access to internet

Slider mechanisms are a step in the right direction but they're impractical. Implementing any moving parts in a smartphone leaves said part vulnerable to failure and water/dust. It also prevents larger batteries from being put in since the mechanism itself takes up a significant portion of the phone. Why they didn't just use a smaller slider mechanism or a sort of flip-out camera like the one on the Honor 7i is beyond me, the majority of these issues could've been easily circumvented if they'd just used a smaller mechanical module.

Go for the Note 9 buddy, you cant go wrong with it , its a beast. The LGs and the Pixels always have some type of issues. Forget about the headphone jack is just becoming a meme nowdays , get some nice bluetooth headphones and youre on your way to 2019.

>Is Linege OS any less of a botnet than Google's version of Android?
Lineage OS isn't a separate operating system developed by enthusiasts, it's virtually the same as Google's AOSP. What you need is microG and FOSS alternatives from F-droid for all software possible.

So, I'm on verizon, using a moto g6.
Battery life is average, but the camera is awful, and the CPU is a 400 series, which makes alot of apps pretty slow.

What other phone has a
-Above average camera
-Good battery life
-Modern CPU
-Headphone jack
-Stock Android or close enough
- < 500 USD

Right now, I'm looking at the sony models, specifically the XA3 which launches next year.
Any downsides to sony phones?

Sony phones won't work on VZW
get a Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S for ~$400, take the SIM out of the G6 and slap it in

Am I the only one who doesn't care one way or the other about a notch?

Literally any Android phone can do this.

The S9 is such a good phone I love it, the glass feels so nice

>glass back
>good for anything other but breaking and attracting fingerprints
big oof

my 14 year old sister broke her itoddler device by throwing it against the wall hoping she’d get a new replacement
i proposed buying a flip phone, but she’d probably threaten to kill herself
what’s a cheap (sub 100) piece of garbage that will work but teach her to respect devices?

literally any piece of shit from Walmart

>dabs on plastic poorfags

>people who say oof

The newest Sony phones are marked as "Verizon certified". They have LTE bands, but aside from that, I have no idea how well they work on verizon.

>dabs
>oof
About as much one should expect from people defending smartphones becoming more fragile. Bet you're fine with the lack of a micro SD card slot and a 3.5mm jack as well.

*glass spiders*
yikes

The phone probably doesn't have the bands for your area moron.

>I guess I will lack the 5 year support that I have from Apple, but with their prices, it's worth it.
Here's the thing: People keep spouting this "UPDATES!" argument like it's something that actually matters. It's not. Almost every single app on the play store supports down to KitKat (Android 4, released in 2013) and some require even lower versions. What do you need on iOS now, iOS 11 (released 2017) to even download Netflix?

>people who say yikes
>people who say oof too
how's your nintendo switch doing?

they're also overpriced for the hardware, which is why I recommended the Mix 2S

Any iphone xr faggots in here? How's the phone?

its great, I got tik tok on it too

Attached: PerkyImpureHermitcrab-max-1mb.gif (280x210, 858K)

Literally every single Android phone can do this. Use Airdroid or KDE connect if you use Linux (which I guarantee you don't).

>gsmarena.com/huawei_honor_view_20-pictures-9468.php
Is this shit going to be any good?

Attached: huawei-honor-view-20-1.jpg (679x700, 89K)