I need a Desktop Environment with working lock screen

Pic related. I really don't want people to see which programs I am running (and the previews of those). Worse, the programs can be closed even when the screen is locked.

Currently using GNOME and it's shit

Attached: IMG_20181224_122523532.jpg (4032x3024, 2.73M)

Seriously, never had this problem. I guess it's bug or smth

Screen lockers are a mystical technology that people in Linux land have never fucking gotten right.

Seriously. I have had issues with GNOME, Cinnamon, and XFCE showing what's behind your locked screen one way or another, along with a myriad of bugs and freezes and shit. I haven't had issues with KDE's screen locker from a privacy standpoint, but from a stability standpoint, it breaks every so often I'm and greeted with a dumb screen that tells me to switch to a tty and restart it. Quality product.

I haven't tried any of the "minimalist" screen lockers like i3lock or whatever, but I'm going to take a guess and presume they actually work.

KDE
>but from a stability standpoint, it breaks every so often I'm and greeted with a dumb screen that tells me to switch to a tty and restart it. Quality product.
for some reason, this only happened to me on Kubuntu, other distros never had this problem

KDE

KDE has a working one

Werks on KDE fren.

Attached: 1523344741921.jpg (1082x695, 287K)

Install Q4OS with TDE. The Trinity Desktop Environment is a KDE 3.5 fork that's still maintained. It's fast, it's stable, and the lock screen looks and works great.

Attached: 20181230_075813-1.jpg (2655x1764, 3.71M)

>install old deprecated software that somebody forked and maintains for some reason

Attached: 1544620963057.jpg (600x418, 27K)

>newer is always better
What's it like being a brainless consumer animal? TDE uses half the resources, it's not as buggy, and it's just faster, especially on old computers. There's no reason for me to use Plasma. TDE is stable and time tested.

Attached: 1540642677446.jpg (957x745, 240K)

>I haven't tried any of the "minimalist" screen lockers like i3lock or whatever, but I'm going to take a guess and presume they actually work.
install that or slock, they work fine, problem solved. why did this need a thread op

Attached: faggot.png (336x327, 52K)

I’ve only seen this happen on Ubuntu, they managed to break Gnome beyond belief

i3 doesn't have this problem.

Slock

Why the hell are you using ubuntu

does anyone know a lock screen that happily allows multiple users to be logged in at the same time?

What dock is this? Dash to Dock does not have this problem, and neither does stock GNOME.

i3lock + ttys

>I need a Desktop Environment with working lock screen
KDE

Unironically the KDE one

I've been slock for YEARS and it never let me down.

Work on my machines

based on meme database

But it is GNOME, Dash to Dock and Ubuntu 18.04

I guess I will just install KDE then, thx frens

Attached: hmm.jpg (505x512, 55K)

Then it's got to be some Ubuntu modification that's causing this problem. I'm running GNOME 3.30 on Arch and it works fine.

I have Gnome 3.28.2 because 3.30 is not included in the LTS version of ubuntu. Maybe it works after manually updating gnome?

Just install slock and forget about the problem. It does one thing and it does it well.

Also happens to me very often on Ubuntu 18.10. Not sure why.

xscreensaver is genuinely may favourite program on Linux, it has so many fun to look at lock screens.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Report the bug to the Ubuntu guys not to Jow Forums.

>Ubuntu
There's the problem

What distribution did you use?

my 'i3lock', with suppressed indicator ring thingie, looks like this at all times no matter the input unless it's the correct password + return

you can map it to some key or make it initiate automatically from .xinitrc or wherever with the additional 'xss-lock' package like
exec xss-lock -- i3lock -u -i /home/username/.config/i3/i3lock.png &

Attached: i3lock.png (1600x900, 50K)