/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060 (bad value), RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 1.jpg (450x381, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/MJy7Bb
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147289
pcpartpicker.com/list/BYWCcY
amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC27JG50QQUXEN-27-Inch-WQHD-Monitor/dp/B07FB3JLLS
techpowerup.com/reviews/?category=CPU Coolers&manufacturer=&pp=10000&order=date
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>turn computer on
>it flies away to defend the death star

Thats some 40yr old virgin tier desk. I fucking love that early 2000 style

R8 this build I just did
>Ryzen 3 2200G
>8gb Crucial 2666
>EVGA 600watt bronze fully modular
>MSI B450 Pro motherboard
>Samsung 860 500gb
>Fractal Design Core 1100
>some Asus DVD drive
All under $490 and booted without a hitch, took about an hour to assemble

600watt for 2200g and igpu??

Yeah it wasn't super expensive I don't see the problem.

is it normal to have 50c-60c on m.2. ssd?
970 evo 500gb and a crucial 1tb if youre wondering

What application are you Ryzen bros using to monitor CPU temps in Windows? I usually use Open Hardware Monitor but for some reason the sensor isn't showing up. My board is an Asus B450-I.

he probably wants the option to upgrade to a full GPU considering he's using an ATX motherboard

HWiNFO

Thanks. Seems to work great. Before I was using the graph in aida64's stress test.

Any recommendations for a 1080p 144hz monitor? 250-300 usd, though prices and availability might vary, because I am in a shitty region.
The VA monitors I can get within that price range here seem to be possible only Samsung C24FG70FQU and Samsung C24FG73FQU. Not sure how to feel about them being curved, though it seems somewhat minimal.

Yeah, NVMe drives will throttle at 70 degrees and without a heatsink they will reach that point under sustained load.
An NVMe drive can consume 15-20watts under load, that's more than some actively cooled laptop processors.

Just bought this:
R7 2700x
16 GB 3200mhz cl16
Crucial mx500 500gb
ASUS prime pro x470
Seasonic focus + gold 650W
Nzxt h500

What gpu would you buy for this? Still haven't bought it and still on the edge about it. Might pick a msi 2070 armor but it's very expensive and it seems a bit overkill. I would love a cheap 1080 but can't find any. Currently in Europe (poor-tugal)

Attached: 1545445133485.jpg (545x453, 30K)

Fuck I happened to be in Vegas a day before ces last year and wanted to show up completely hammered this year. But it’s not in the same month as before. Fucking nerds can’t even make a consistent schedule.

Would a I7-4790k bottleneck a 2080?

Can someone give me a budget Intel+Nvidia build for emulation+gaming

For the price of free, what would you accept? A dual core skylake build that works A ok or a quad core haswell build with a few instability issues that its owner hasn't managed to fix?

for me its the i7 8700

Forgot to say that it's 1080p and that I need Nvidia because I want CUDA

>State the budget & CURRENCY
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work, be specific about your applications instead of just saying "I want to play games"

Anyone have some personal experience with delidding a 9900k and what the results were like?

800 dollars

I've got a Viewsonic XG2401. I guess it's alright, and a bit cheaper than what you can afford.

Caution though: there seems to be a fairly common problem with Radeon cards and DisplayPort+higher refresh rate combos. I've just built my new rig from scratch, and I get random black screens when playing games. I doubt it's a PSU issue as I forked out for the more expensive gold model. I hope I can fix it by using HDMI/DVI rather than DisplayPort, obviously losing FreeSync. Just warning you.

Stuck choosing a case. This is honestly the hardest part. There are so many of them, but the one for me needs to fill the following criteria:
>decent build quality. Doesn’t generate vibration noise. Has seen some crappy ones that still generate noise despite all bolts tightened
>not above $150. Only edgy kids go above that
Now the more complicated part:
>must support 360mm radiator in the front
>front should be transparent as I’m a LED fag with led lights on the radiator fans
>preferably mid-tower for ease of transportation
>no drive racks in the front
>transparent side
>USB 3.0 in the front
>needs to look good. Not just your average black box

Bonus:
>preferably no fans included as I got my own
>the sidepanel is actually a door. I feel like it makes it easier to access the insides although it might come at a price. Disregard this if you find it completely unnecessary

Well for good or bad I am current on Nvidia, so I am not even targeting g-synch shite.
The XG2401 is actually more expensive here than the ones I mentioned in my post. I have been on an IPS monitor until now, so I am a bit scared of using a TN monitor and finding out the viewing quality is actually worse. How are the viewing angles? What if you even lie down and watch something?

pcpartpicker.com/list/MJy7Bb

can't you just sort this shit on newegg through the sorting options

>Not just your average black box
you're not going to find shit then because all the white cases are overpriced or DIYPC chink tier

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147289

Buy a used GPU, Vega 64 or 1080Ti are good choices obviously. Your PSU can handle any single GPU setup and even two mid range GPU's like two RX580's, but don't do that because it's a waste of money.

>How are the viewing angles? What if you even lie down and watch something?

It's a gaming monitor, and I've only had it for 2 days, so too early to judge as I'm still trying to figure out good settings on it. I'm sitting in front of it, so not much variation in angles. I've bought it based on many recommendations, as it's one of the better models in this price range. For what it's worth, I couldn't spot any ghosting so far and colors seem to be better than my old monitor.

Reminder that you don't need more than 500w.

What is the logical upgrade from a i7 2600k?

What resolution and game?

ryzen 5 2600x

Ex console gamer here. Rate my literal 30 year old boomer first 'real' pc build. The 1060 is being replaced by a 1070 jetstream next week. Shit picture and the white led strip needs to be placed against the edges better.

Any obvious problems that stand out? got my ryzen 5 at 3.8 right now with no added voltage. Ram has been pushed slightly higher than it's 3200mhz stock speed.

Is that even an upgrade?

>poozen

no poozen is q6600 tier

Attached: Capture.jpg (849x393, 31K)

>pic related

Attached: hrhfgjh.png (513x418, 21K)

Attached: 6213835900730833461.jpg (2048x1536, 263K)

Used market kinda sucks, I have to drive to the nearest city (100km *2) to get something that's probably already expensive for a used gpu and I risk getting scammed for a shitty or broken card.
I'd rather try to buy new

Attached: intelHQ.png (1196x676, 1.05M)

you aren't going to get a good enough intel + nvidia build for $800. maybe amd + nvidia, something like this:
pcpartpicker.com/list/BYWCcY

You could have saved a lot of money and just got an old Dell workstation and threw a new psu and gpu in it. Why people build these budget rigs any other way is beyond me.

Well, not to be pushy, but surely you can easily play some video and lie down to see how it looks?

1440p
For the games : remake 2 and sekiro for a start then 2077 the last two tomb raider,...
I was thinking about getting a Asus strix 2070 oc but the price is close to average version of the 2080

Ah fuck, give me a minute.

I have already returned my 1060 to et a second hand 1070. Overall this has cost roughly $1k. That's not budget to me, at all. I'm pretty happy with the performance so far.

more cores, more threads, more futureproof.

fuck off and get a real case. fractal design meshify c or phanteks enthoo pro m. they fit all of your criteria except the transparent front for your faggy ass lights.

No it won't be a significant bottleneck at that resolution. Not until games start utilizing more cores/threads then you can consider a CPU upgrade. But wait until it actually happens.

>remake 2 and sekiro

Literally the only new games that I'm excited about. Kino taste.

I have a dual monitor set-up, one portrait (for PDF files and the like) and the other landscape. The portrait monitor, an IPS, has gone kaput, while the landscape one is a TN that is working fine.

Both monitors are 1080p, and I haven't been the biggest fan of their bezels. What is the best afforable IPS monitor at 24 inches? Or should I use the TN monitor as the portrait monitor and get a 27 inch 2k monitor as the main landscape monitor?

I run a HD 6870 so I do not need to worry about sync software.

Just because you overpaid doesn't mean it's not a budget rig.

tfw have 2x4GB and ordered 2x8GB
I'll either end up with 24GB which would be optimal, at 2933MHz might be a death knell, or 16GB total.

QVL be damned.

I' not in a position to argue with you, because I simply don;t know enough. Just saying that it's a lot of money for me. I wanted a nice fractal case, rather than something that looks like shit and everything besides the 1070 was new from amazon. I've seen a video or two on budget dell builds, but how exactly would that compare to my build in terms of cpu, and well, everything. I don't see what's wasted with my build. I chose ryzen over intel and my motherboard was dirt cheap considering it has everything that I need.,

I never really got an answer to this. 8700k? 9700k?

You should be good for +- 15% vertical angles. Further than that, you can larger patches of the screen turn slightly brighter, but no colour artefacts. Colour is surprisingly neat for this monitor.

Can rare stuttering (suddenly slowing everything down to a crawl and getting back up) be produced by a faulty PSU?

I checked that while playing games the +12V rail drops to 11.52V and dangerously gets close to 11.39 at times. Is the PSU not juicy anymore or is that still safe? I've been trying to diagnose this shit for a while and I'm losing hope trying to get rid of that annoying unexpected stutter.

>3570k
>gtx670
Bought a 1070ti (on sale, 150$ cheaper than the 1080 that was also on sale) that's arriving in a day or two. Realized I might want to upgrade the CPU, but everywhere I look it says an oc'd 3570k should be fine for a while longer. So I got a Noctua CPU fan and a 750W PSU coming as well, planning to reuse the fan for a future MB/CPU/RAM upgrade.
Using a 60hz 1080p monitor.

Any suggestions?

>the gpu prices this gen
Why am I so fucking thighfisted

Attached: 1483782682174.jpg (297x508, 120K)

Is it even necessary to get an internal optical drive anymore in the current year?

Just get a 1440p monitor and your CPU won't matter.

Can you explain a brainlet why?

Which 2070s are tu106-400A-A1? Is there a list or something?

just get a usb optical drive

>want to play 4k at 60fps
>2080s cost an arm and a leg
nvidia is so fucking gay. could vega suffice?

So, this isn't the best time to upgrade right? Should probably wait for Zen 2 no?

either one

7nm is about to come out next year for both CPUs+GPUs and next gen consoles are arriving very soon so may as well wait.

Stop caring about autistic things

I thought so, well I guess I can wait some more.

How much of a discount do you think the new KF chips will have?

When i'm spending 500 bucks on a GPU i want it to be the best fucking thing i can get.

But it will have the biggest impact on CPUs, right? Considering the minor improvements of the "new gen" GPUs.

If you have a $300+ budget for a cpu, yes

you aren't going to get a good enough intel + nvidia anthing

Actually 300 is about all the budget I have, and I want to upgrade the RAM, motherboard and CPU.

Well I guess I can push it to 350 but that's my absolute max.

No point waiting then since zen2 won't be cheap

CPUs should see a bigger impact going from 14nm to 7nm

Hmm, not even the most low end one? I can probably get the mobo for 60-70, the RAM for around 150, if the most low end model costs somewhere around 100 I could afford it.

Can someone recommend me a good mid tower case? I'm planning to put a MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC, i7 9700k, Dark Rock 4 cooler and MSI RTX 2070 Armor in there.

I bet you liked it down there.
Well, thanks for testing, I guess. Still too scared about TN monitors, probably unjustified.

>bought this monitor on impulse a while ago amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC27JG50QQUXEN-27-Inch-WQHD-Monitor/dp/B07FB3JLLS

did I fucked up ?

its not ideal for gaymen, but it should be fine for anything else.

Wait for RTX 2060

this

>want to compare the Thermalright Macho rev. B to the Scythe Fuma rev. B
>there is not a single benchmark on the internet that compares the two to the same specs

these are some pretty popular and inexpensive bang for the buck coolers, why don't either of them make it together on the same tests

Attached: 1302734608215.jpg (500x404, 46K)

>buying intel

>buying low end shit for $450

Will the new AMD Gen be compatible with the current motherboards?

>Need fans for my build
>Go and buy some on Amazon
>Somehow Amazon can't confirm the payment, must be a problem with my credit card
>That makes no sense because i bought a HDD on Newegg minutes before
Why do you do this to me Amazon i just want some fucking fans.

Attached: 1511495663091.jpg (480x360, 41K)

dun goofed

Attached: Screenshot_20181230-182423.png (1080x1920, 731K)

Just learn to speak German and you'll find plenty.

I don't understand which motherboard to buy if I want the bios updated for the 9000 series.
I might be too retarded to google this.

techpowerup.com/reviews/?category=CPU Coolers&manufacturer=&pp=10000&order=date