IT jobs

I was wondering how did you get your IT job and what was your starting salary.
I'm just starting my degree and I have no clue what to expect.
All advice or help would be appreciated.

Attached: Find-The-Right-IT-Jobs-For-A-Promising-Career.jpg (579x339, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nKcrVtvZvpk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Lied about experience.
"I wasn't a neet for the past 8 years since finishing high school, I was totally working part time for the past six years in a computer repair shop. But the owner left the country to go back home and I just do it free lancing now and would like to transfer to a fulltime job because family circumstances allow it now"

Everything that was a problem was "oh yeah the tech is old and it won't work with the new software" or "hmm yeah see the last guy didn't set it up to standard so this is why you're getting issues".

Just lie. Aim for small companies. All they care about is getting "muh internets and emails". Set up some VMs on their hardware and play around with it.
I convinced some spastic charity they need a full on server for backups. And just got a 64GB workstation with a quadro/i7 in it to dick around on and remote into for parcticing stuff from home

Be prepared. The market is saturated as fuck and depending on where you are, even getting your foot in the door will be an uphill battle. Degrees/Certs don't matter anymore. Sure they prove you know the material/subject mater. But far as job hunting goes, HR types go "so what". The trend is now; foreigners (diversity looks good to HR/Corporate) and outsourcing (why pay in house IT when we can outsource it cheaper/not pay them company benefits).

>1
How did you learn what to do?
My college is for morons and we have half/half degree and all we do on IT side is programming in python and hardware theory.
I will probably need to study by myself but I don't know what exactly.

please could you also answer this.
I don't live in US so no problem with diversity.

I own a computer and built it myself.
Motherboards come with manuals. I can follow instructions. 99% of the job is "use Google"
What are you trying to do in IT?

I was planning to become sys admin, but I don't know how.
I didn't read the curriculum before enrolling in college...

Also I'm capable of learning by myself I just need some pointers.

IS English your first language?

I'm 35. I got my entry certs (A+/Network+) back in 2002 and 2003. Fast forward a few years and I got a few more (Cisco/Certified as a Windows Server admin). My problem is two fold. one I'm rapidly hitting the middle age line, the type of jobs I like doing, Tech/Network Tech, are a younger man's main job anymore. Two; my company has outsourced IT, or least the good parts of it. What's left I have zero interest in doing. Third, hell where I am now, I can retire in 15 yrs w/full pension + 401k. I'll be 50 yrs old. So I'd be a fool to toss it all out the window.

Kys.
Faggots like you just make my work harder when we get new customers whose IT got mismanaged by onemanshow know-it-alls.

>got a useless degree
>no jobs
>make websites for people to survive
>apply for a paid traineeship
>????
>job

No, but I like to believe its close to native level,

Learn active directory. Most companies run windows server and active directory. If your inheriting the job from someone else, be prepared for a potential mess if that guy didn't keep records of what was done/how things are configured. Or worse didn't bother to leave a copy of domain controller/recovery password.
They also run Exchange server.

You work for an MSP.
You have no authority to speak about IT other than "please don't work for an MSP".

Okay.
I'm talking about working in a business and supporting it, not when you phone up to complain about your internet or a product you bought.

Basically a sysadmin would work on the servers, overall infrastructure of the company's IT stuff.
Depending on the company you might or might not work with people who have problems with the computers.
But

is right - you can learn to install active directory (windows server operating system) in a virtual machine and go from there. I think there's a 90 day trial or something.
Other than that, learn how to troubleshoot Windows and how it works. So you know your internet is down, you can right click and tell Windows to troubleshoot. It does "something" when it resets the wifi adapter. What does it do? What causes that to fix it, etc.

Thank you, do you recommend any resources?
Like an online class or books?

A lot of times; your stuck with whatever the configuration is, it's working, fixing it would involve lots of downtime depending on company size. So your job is basically keeping the pile of shit mess your inheriting running.

It really depends on what you want to get into.
For example, one job I applied for didn't use active directory because it was "too expensive" to buy.
They had 50 users on 50 computers and were on "google cloud".
That was a terrible idea to do.

Look at learning active directory first. No, no books or videos, sorry. Plenty on YouTube - just find someone who you don't mind listening to.
Don't pay for classes that teach you to get certifications. It's almost never worth it. Pay for certifications (skip Comptia A+ and Network+ but study a book or two from your library so you're familiar with them).

Sysadmin still usually specialize in some form. Some came from network engineers, others were the level 2/level 3 support that maintained Active Directory, some are based on Linux, etc

Just find out what technology part interests you and go for it

If you're unsure, the CCNA is always a good start

Grab a eval copy of windows server, 2012, 2016 and try it out in a virtual machine. that's the only way to do it. yes books are fine, but nothing beats actual hands on work. Aside; say you have a small company (100 users), a single domain would more than cover it, don't be surprised if you see where some bright lad before you decided to create a shit pot of sub domains instead of keeping it simple. Talk about a cluster fuck. ex: root domain; company.com; sub domain sales.company.com, marketing.company.com,etc.

Like this guy?
youtube.com/watch?v=nKcrVtvZvpk

So in general I should play in home lab and go for CCNA certificate?

Probably look into how to install it first but yes

More or less.
CCNA will get used to networking which is very helpful
You don't need to spend money, though if you have a laptop/pc

I have a laptop and an old pc.
Although pc is 20 years old.

How much ram in the laptop

So he gives you a job. Why would you complain about that?

Dude that you're replying to works for an MSP.
MSPs are by nature, about the same level as teir 1 tech support in an ISP/phone company

They're pretty much parasites that take any business they can get and treat their staff like dogs

4 GB

Studied IT-Security and finished with Bachelors Degree. Applied for a Job as Security Analyst because thats the most interesting for me and I also started preparing for that role during my last Semesters. It only took 2 applications to land a job in some pretty big company with starting salary of 55k euro (in Germany).

Just try to study more than just the things you learn in university or at least deepen those.

Never got degree in tech. Only have AS in Visual Arts since I was originally going to go for web design. Starting a BS in Security Technology in 3 weeks.

I'll be 27 in April if you're curious.

0. 3/2014 - 3/2016
RadioShack sales and phone repair. Got lucky with connection for interview at 1st tech job.

1. 9/2013 - 4/2014
Had A+ from tech school. Got "level 1 support" job at local MSP making $14/hr with benefits. Was doing stuff way more advanced than I should have with no experience. Disaster remediation, endpoint monitoring, software deployment scripting. Did get exposure to many different kinds of clients

2. 5/2015 - 12/2017
First decent tech job. L2 Deskside support team lead. started at $20/hr and left with $21/hr. Got benefits and paid regular travel to remote sites including NYC. Company was a fashion eyewear distributor and retailer. Actually had fun and learned a lot. got free certification vouchers and used it to get Net+ and MTA. Downside was that I was a contractor so I couldn't advance without transferring to a different office. Also, 2 week rotating hours which sucked.

3.12/2017 - present
Added Server+ cert by this point. Completed Netacad course. Got an even better paying job at the largest accounting firm in my reguon, I believe #14 or 15 in the country. Got recent raise to $51k/year + benefits. Get tons of overtime which brings my salary to $53-54k. Get to fly across the country for office megers. Visited Houston for the first time this summer.

>Fuck that place gets hot

I would see if you can move in to some sort of management role.
You might be wrangling pajeets, but you'll probably be paid better and won't have to worry about being outsourced.

Until middle management jobs get automated by RPA in 5-10 years.

You need to know a few things about the job market.

1. What's in high demand?
2. What size company are you looking for? Small MSP

Joined the Air Force at age 18 as a network tech. After I finished boot camp/training, I got to my shop and worked to become the most knowledgeable guy there. Also took the lead on many big projects and designed some simple tools to make our work easier. I got noticed, got promoted and then got assigned to a RAF base in England.

Starting out I made like $35k (before taxes) - but now I'm making like $70k, and get benefits like $5k/yr for tuition, 100% no cost healthcare, certs paid for, etc.

Kek look at this fuckin POG

Shouldn't you be painting rocks or at "formation" joe?

I started out with a part time web dev job working for the University
Then I graduated with a degree in CS threw my resume out there and got two offers. One consulting position at 80K but it required travel and the company exclusively used Visual Basic. That wasn't an option because VB looks like shit on your resume.
I accepted the other offer at a start up for a lower salary $65k but at least they were using python and they put me on a greenfield web dev project that I had total control of.
After two years and a couple raises I wound up at $75k and used that experience to get four offers. The one I accepted was $160k

The only reason I was able to get that offer was because I made sure to build up my resume at my startup job which kinda sucked since I didn't like the company culture which was very salesbro-ey and the entire team was composed of underpaid, underskilled, overworked Junior Devs

tl;dr pick a first job just to grind for XP and build up your resume for your second job.

>based

my cousin who is in IT is always talking about VMs like they're everything.

starting salary was around us$30k because it was in New Zealand

In some places, they really are

some jackass used a separate VM for everything and now we have like 50+ for a company of

Anyone who gives a shit has moved or is moving from physical servers to VMs.

I work with hosted/cloud services.

No actually. Faggots like him make the workflow easier if anything.

$33k (with good benefits) for being the grunt. no hard requirements.
$40k (with good benefits) for being all rounder. associates or entry level certs
$50k (with good benefits) for starting to design LANs / PoC for contractor builds / on-call to various sites when shit hits the fan. bachelor's degree or few years experience.

apparently that retard doesn't know what a container is. he needs to be fired.

Systems Engineer Intern / Junior Data Engineer, $65k/yr + benefits + $20k in bonuses and another 19% in profit sharing to 401k, 6% match to 401k

Got an internship, did well, hired as a junior right after, now mid level which is $80k. Should be senior in a year.

>Systems Engineer Intern / Junior Data Engineer
What does your job consist of? I'm in networking right now, but also looking to pick up other skills since old-style networks are going to be obsolete soon.

Variety of things from development to operations stuff:
- managing large scale data pipelines made up of ELK, Filebeat and Kafka
- working with kubernetes; we deploy a lot of our stateless related services, monitoring, etc out there, logstash included
- working with config management (puppet in this case)
- write/wrote a bunch of custom stuff in python to do everything from monitoring loads of individual kafka topics & consumer group pairs, that also triggers at specific lag values since at the time of my internship burrow was terrible and crashed every 10 seconds with just one of our kafka clusters, this works, although not the best, we'll likely revisit burrow on k8s, hookup a prom exporter and write something that sits on that or some complicated query crap in prom/alertmanager to achieve the same thing
- bunch of bash, mostly for smaller scripts but also for just day to day work so I don't have to do things myself, share them with the team, makes it easier for all of us
- i personally enjoy writing documentation, rewrote all our docs, wrote something to sync it to confluence (though, their API is fucking HORRIBLE so it's not optimal, but we never visit confluence, only the GHE site built by jekyll which is lovely)
- if i cared to learn go, you could do a lot of the what I've done in python in go, but since ES has no major _good_ library for ES the python library is the way to go and I do not want to reinvent all the wheels

cont.

In general a lot of this is fairly difficult since we've managed to fix a lot of the issues we used to have, upgrading is a pain in the ass, but not so much anymore. The big issue is at our scale of clusters and size of clusters we hit a lot of issues many other people don't, which makes hunting for solutions hard. Troubleshooting skills are a must.

Where/how did you learn all that stuff?

First IT job? Worked for a nonprofit for free for 6 months. They hired me, I worked there for a bit over a year and a half, then I moved, I now make more than triple what I started at.

I got hired right out of highschool by my own school district for having some trouble with the IT department and having certs.

On the job