POS terminals and help terminals are still on winblows

it blows my mind how most sales terminals and helpdesk/info terminals in this day and age still use windows, and long outdated vulnerability infested versions at that. it seems to me like a perfect use case for linux, or heck even BSD.
just slap on a extended support kernel and you're good to go, besides it probably will never run more than a single program and you'll save a bunch on windows liscensing costs. why do companies still not do this??

Attached: Touch-screen-Windows-POS-system-machine.jpg (360x360, 21K)

Not all hope is lost
I know for a fact that many credit card reader terminals are run on Linux

Vendor lock -in is a real thing. There is no hope.

With all the issues that you have with windows you are going to still have with linux
You can install Linux on any POS machine that you like but if they never get updated then your stuck with the same issue you had on Windows

because they want things to just werk, not waste time with freetard garbage.

eggs n chickens n shit
if POS software is all written for windows, terminals are going to run windows - it is (literally) a scenario where the end-user CGAF what the underlying OS is, but it must just werk, 24/7. Theres no-one ships POS terminals with a standard Win10 install and Windows Update on auto either

>tfw work for a middleman company that provides services to several retail chains to keep their POS systems up and running
>they keep warehouses full of refurbished POS system parts that are literally close to 10 years old constantly cycling to and from the warehouses whenever they break at the store and pretty much duct tape them back together until it 'sort of works' and send them back
>their main business model is based on keeping these pieces of shit running for as long as they can
>no incentive for any company involved, ours or the big chains to upgrade this system because it costs to much money
Half of the work done is already outsourced to contractors that don't know how to tie their own shoes. Actually upgrading to a better POS system that's competently kept up to date costs a shit ton and most stores would rather deal with us then pay extra.

why aren't terminals used more ? - surely POS, for large(r) stores, be ideal use scenario ?

Most POS systems in large chains are terminals, but set up to have a local mode if the server is unable to be contacted

linux is being used by every one of the top 500 supercomputers ever since 2017 after decades of dominating the supercomputer space, and more than half of the world's top 1 million servers run linux
to even suggest that it cannot fulfill a simple purpose such as a sales or help terminal (which it can do absolutely perfectly) completely encapsulates how much of a fucking ignorant stupid monkey you are
2/10 bait got me pissed off

A used game shop near me and Lowes uses *buntu 16.04 while supermarkets or fast food joints use Windows POSReady 2009 or 10 Embedded.

This isn't so much of a windows-vs-linux thing, this is an "enterprises can't patch their shit" thing. If things had been different and Linux had taken over the POS space you'd be bemoaning all the POS terminals running 2.4 series kernels.

Pointy-haired bosses see POS terminals as appliances that work indefinitely, not as computers that need continual security updating. Actually they haven't really internalized that security is a continuous process at all, they keep falling for snake-oil salesmen who tell them "buy our fancy IDS and then you'll finally be done!"

No one cares about your shitty freeware penguin OS that has been abandoned to trannies.

Also, I don't even think there is any linux POS software. Every terminal I've ever worked on ran Windows (i've worked on over 20).

>supercomputers are plug and play
incredibly stupid

The amount of self service check outs that have crashed on me this year damn windows xp..

Excuse me nigger.

Attached: image.jpg (640x853, 195K)

>no-one ships POS terminals with a standard Win10 install and Windows Update on auto either

Microsoft should make a Win10 version just for cases like these.
Or at the very least provide a "don't update, I'm running this 24/7" option.

I once had an ATM running Windows XP crash on me right before giving out my cash.
It was scary, especially since it still had my bank card, but after a reboot 2 minutes later luckily it continued normally and gave me both my money and my card.

There's at least one but I can't remember the name of it, the POS terminal at the liquor store I work at runs off of Red Hat

>this is all that he took away from user's post
retard

i think they got wise to the disadvantages of that, with the sheer amount of XP 'POS Systems' they find themselves still updating. An 'I don't update' w10 be fucking popular tho, no q.

>and you'll save a bunch on windows liscensing costs.
Your mistake is in this assumption. To an end consumer of a computing device, the price of Windows is actually negative. It costs more to get a computer that doesn't have Windows on it, because it costs the manufacturer more to build -- this in turn because they can't just build computers without Windows in the first place, and have to specifically waste a Windows license by wiping Windows off of an existing Windows computer they've built, in order to get around a really horrible and disgusting Microsoft licensing practice.

Like this one?

Attached: linux_cc.jpg (1040x780, 259K)

That's LTSB, the best version of Win10.