What's the best percentage to leave your battery at if you have your computer plugged in most of the time?

What's the best percentage to leave your battery at if you have your computer plugged in most of the time?

Attached: calibrate-battery-plug-01.jpg (1600x1200, 252K)

Does it matter ? You'd probably have a new laptop by the time your current laptops battery has degraded enough for it to be a problem

Take the battery out or you will ruin it.

t. every HP laptop ive owned have dead battery due to overcharging.

yeah it doesn't really matter but what I do (and it's worked good so far) is every now and then just put it on the battery for a couple hours. modern batteries won't break by having them plugged in as they are specially designed to ensure its alright.

that's not even possible on most modern laptops

Attached: 1487989996766.jpg (320x320, 19K)

70-80%
According to both Panasonic and Lenovo's battery life maintenance software that comes with Toughbooks and Thinkpads.

Sometimes I find that leaving a full charge on something will cause it to lose more capacity on the shelf than if that same device had been charged to 80% and left.

also it's not the percentage that matters but the fact that the computer is constantly recharging the battery as soon as it drops to 99%, that generates heat and kills the battery.

lol listen to this jew.

not op but mine lat about 5min if disconnect it from the grid, most of us arent consumerism pigs like you so eventually batteries die and computer fail by age.

yea sure after two years I'm gonna throw away my $2k laptop instead of selling it with a fit battery for $1k to buy a new one

retard.

Why not just by a new battery?

Got two almost 10 year old Macbooks Pro. Perfect condition. Still perfectly good laptops. Only thing wrong is the batteries.

>computer fail by age
yeah but with laptops and other compact PCs that comes about from intentionally poor engineering. There does actually exist software to maintain battery charge in a way that does not destroy the battery from leaving the computer plugged in all the time, unfortunately these are exclusive to a few types of high-end machines. All they do is tell the computer to stop charging at 80% or discharge from 100% to 80 until you tell it to complete a full charge, and yes the batteries last for ages under this kind of cycle.

>ebay and amazon full of knockoff batteries claiming they are original
>official retailer website sells battery for $120

Attached: meddeling kid is stressed.jpg (470x336, 16K)

Still better than buying a new laptop for $2k+.

take out the battery if its gonna be plugged in most of the time

friendly reminder that all battery life of notebooks is shit compared to MBPs ability. Even more if you put linux on your notebook and basically nuke your battery

OP here. So the consensus seems to be about 80%. Great, thankfully I have the software to do this.

Second question, how often should I do a full discharge? I've heard anywhere from two weeks to a month on different forums.

It's a newish computer so doing this isn't so convenient anymore.

I leave mine at 70-90%

Attached: nombri.png (199x105, 17K)

Most modern laptops still have an internal connector and will boot with just an AC adapter plugged in

If you're using it all the time, it doesn't matter.

If you're leaving it off for an extended period of time, you should leave your battery disconnected at around 40% charge.

>have linux on a bullshit hp laptop and haven't unplugged it in almost 3 years
the absolute fucking state of this shithole. this board is as pseudoknowledgeable as Jow Forums

50-60%

Don't listen to the other replies I honestly expected better from Jow Forums. 40% is best long term storage level, therefore it's also the best charge threshold. If you plan to charge it fully before you undock it then 60-70%. This is what I do with my x1 carbon and it has >90% capacity after a year and half.

Keep it between 25-85% to maximize it's lifespan.

Thinkpads don't have this problem.

Attached: 1524686585216.png (1157x744, 62K)

There's a kernel module that allows you to do this with thinkpads on Linux as well.

It's not overcharging, it's heat. And it really isn't a surprise that this is happening on Heat Problems® laptops.

40%

Yup, my 2011 laptop says it has 99% full battery. If i unplug it it'll die within 10 minutes. Sucks cause its still usable for everything other than media creation and gaming.

>Let me just remove the battery so I can preserve it
>If my battery life is 0 minutes then battery life cannot degrade anyway

That's largely applicable to Smartphones/Tablets in my experience, but not laptops.

Remember researching this at some point. When trying to figure out how to restrict charging to 80% on Linux I came over a post or something detailing how modern batteries have a bunch of shit built in for this purpose already, and to actually do this shit is retarded and unnecessary.

You're wasting your time, OP. Just like I did.

>Second question, how often should I do a full discharge?
Never. It's better to keep it above about 20%.

Basically though. If it isn't limiting you too much, sure, use your battery restrictions but don't worry if you need to run it flat or if you want to charge if full occasionally before a trip or whatever. Every once in a while won't harm it that much.

You are not going to get a correct answer on this board because it is specific to your exact brand of battery.

Even knowing the chemicals in the battery wont allow us to answer because the controller chip in the battery will lie to you in a different way based on the model. (eg, when it says its 100% charged, it's really 80% because the manufacturer knows best)

80-85% if your laptop offers that level of control (ThinkPads in the T/W/X series do, can't speak for the rest of the Lenovo products, Dell Latitudes and Precisions do, maybe their XPS line as well, HP Elitebooks and Probooks as well).

Li-Ion has been proven to have longer lifespan (the life of the battery as measured in years not a per-charge basis) with charging to 80-85% which reduces the overall charge cycle wear levels.

If you don't have a laptop that supports this level of control, and you're not going to get a laptop that supports this level of control, get the fuck outta here and don't ever come back.

I too have linux on my hp laptop, what's your secret?

I'm unsure if any of the tools available work on HP.
TLP is probably the go-to tool for power saving on laptops, but it can only limit charge on ThinkPad series.
Dell offers something similar, so I'm sure HP has something if you're willing to dig deep enough for it.

TLP?