Is linux the sour grapes OS?

Is linux the sour grapes OS?
>No video games? You don't need that
>No professional adobe software? You don't need that
>No professional software of any kind? You don't need that
>No customer support? You don't need that
>No drivers? You don't need that
>All major software is ripoffs of something else and only good to use if you're a NEET with no future? You're good to go

Attached: 1530911098917.jpg (250x249, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems
indeed.com/jobs?q=linux&l=
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What would a programmer need Adobe for?

it's not the fucking OS it's the userbase. a thread died for this bullshit.

The only people I've met who used linux were ugly, fat contrarian neckbeards. Their mindset is basically "windows and mac are both dumb, I'm so smart and above it all!"

Says the broke nigga
Niggas who use photoshop are broke niggas as well
Install KDE Neon learn how to use real shit like docker

Attached: 963ECC8F-B7B1-46DA-9223-8892D30CD6CC.png (478x456, 407K)

the current games work, thanks to wine and steam/proton
photoshop runs, but I prefer krita because of the license
what software are you refering? even pixar makes movies on linux
you can have customer support, but that as always costs money
what drivers are missing? We can try to help.
Same on every other os. pathetic.

No thanks, I'll keep using software I know works.

Gud luck developing shit on windows bitch nigga

>No video games
Sure, if you're grown up you don't need them but Linux has them anyway, loads of indie and some AAA games have native ports and the rest is easily wine-able nowadays with the progression of gallium-nine (AMD) and DXVK, so not an issue.

>No professional adobe software
Sure, if your life depended on it then there's no excuse, even if it's somewhat wine-able. I've moved over my basic work load to GIMP and Krita and found better ways to do some things and experience worse task flows with others so it's a double edged sword personally. Nothing to really counter this.

>No professional software of any kind
You're casting a huge net here, there's a few considered industry standard that received ports and others that's used in a professional environment so you'll just need to be more specific.

>No customer support
Just like others pay for Windows and receive it, you can too with select distros. There's no need for this with the general population of Linux users as they understand what they get themselves into, plus forums and wikis are a godsend.

>No drivers
This argument belongs in the Windows bash list, literally.

Last point is highly anecdotal but I took the bait so w/e lel

I use MacOS. It’s a fully posix compliant Unix with excellent third party support and all the development tools you would expect from a *nix.

Oh, and it runs Photoshop just fine.

What do you mean sourgrapes? If I wanted Windows I could easily download an ISO and buy a key for $10 off eBay. The point of sourgrapes is that is unobtainable, but getting Windows and it's software is basically nothing.
>muh vidya
Proton
>"""professional""" Adobe software
Are you a graphical designer? No? Use Krita.
>customer support
Is it really that hard to Google your question? If you really want support buy RHEL.
>drivers
Not even going to touch this one.

So will we all keep acting as if Proton/Wine are reliable?

>No video games? You don't need that
>what are native games on steam
>what is proton

>No professional adobe software? You don't need that
What is this "adobe or nothing" meme? GIMP, Krita, Kdenlive, Darktable, inkscape, and so on are all available on GNU/Linux and are great. You can also use WINE to get photoshop if you really want it that bad.

>No professional software of any kind? You don't need that
define "professional software". Server software? Apache, Nginx, openssh, postfix, sendmail, dovecot, vsftpd, and many more are available on GNU/Linux and run even better than they do elsewhere.

>No customer support? You don't need that
If you need it, try Redhat, or Canonical's business offerings, or SUSE. You also have a user community at your fingertips.

>No drivers? You don't need that
Linux, the kernel, comes with many drivers. Drivers for many different wireless cards (except broadcom afaik), AMD graphics, all kinds of peripherals and shit like that. Also, NVIDIA is fully supported using their proprietary driver, which can be installed after the system is up and running.

>All major software is ripoffs of something else and only good to use if you're a NEET with no future? You're good to go
If we're gonna make this argument, Windows shouldn't have a windowing system because UNIX and other operating systems beat them to it by about a decade.

>Is linux the sour grapes OS?
Kind of, it forces others to keep justifying their tech-illiteracy constantly by reminding what it still lacks. Every /v/ kiddo is suddenly a professional 3D modeler, a graphics designer and a race car driver. At the same time they make threads asking how to disable the "Windows is not activated" wallpaper. Of course it's all very transparent so Linux users just get a good laugh while eating those sweet grapes.

Windows takes a lot of effort to compile and develop C/C++ without an IDE, that alone makes it absurd to use

>adobe software
>software
you mean spyware

why do you need photoshit for? seems like most of the faggots here are graphic designers or something

I am getting paid 94.000 EUR to develop software for Linux and not to play with Photoshop

>Is linux the sour grapes OS?
I'd say Linux is pretty optimistic given the obstacles is has to overcome just in terms of maintaining all of it's desktop environments and window managers. When you start to put things like this into perspective, it really becomes apparent just how unimpressive Windows really is.

0/10 got me to reply

Isn't linux the most widely installed OS in the world?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Nice bait, retard.

Attached: 1545017826551.jpg (239x240, 88K)

So true! Exactly my experience I'm started to believe that scientific study that say that there are two types of people those that love chaos and the ones that like order, thus dividing us in two for everything pollitics, right and left, Linux vs windows, etc.

Attached: 1522838727485.gif (400x400, 1.4M)

KEK

If you want to get actual work done, you use Linux, plain and simple. A gayming nor fruit OS would suffice after getting a real job. The fact that you are unaware of this means that you are likely underage.

Based&redpilled.
Now you know "everything" about linux, why don't you apply for a linux job?
indeed.com/jobs?q=linux&l=

Attached: snap.webm (640x800, 409K)

Hey user, if you can program, you can develop on ANY platform, but looks like you are too retarded for that

I doubt AOSP will compile on wangblows.

professionals doesn't use adobe software
they doesn't even use win or mac

pn servers, yes

Don't get tricked into installing/using Linux by Loonixfags unless you're a developer. Except for you health, nothing in life is more valuable than your time. There are no official statistics but we all know it's true: if we had two samples, a group of Windows users and another group of Linux users, the mean amount of virgins, unemployment and faggots who watch anime would be higher in the Linux group. Don't deny it, we all know it's true and again, I am talking about the general rule because like in every statistic, there are exceptions. Being unsuccessful almost always results in a lack of self confidence. They can't stand the fact that they suck at everything in life so what they'll do is trying to convince you to use Linux because apparently it's safer and easier to use (lmfao). Maybe they're not even aware of it but subconsciously they know that their counterpart is not going to be able to handle Linux. In their subconscious mind, they want their counterpart to come back and say "what were you talking about? Linux is not easy to use, it's a waste of time" so they can call him stupid for it and feel superior to anything/anyone for once in their life. You have to consider it's not really their fault, it's just their brain trying to compensate. We shouldn't be mad at them. This does not apply to developers (actual developers, and most people on this "tech" board aren't developers) because it's understandable if a dev doesn't want to deal with cygwin, mingw, wsl or installing libraries on Windows in the first place. But using Linux as a daily driver it a timesink, so don't fall for the trap.

Looks like the new pasta arrived.

I know this is bait/pasta, but I'll just point out for anyone coming here that a properly configured Gahnoo/Linux system actually saves you time in the long run.
Time spent configuring it is not wasted, it is invested in the future.

linux is only useful for running a GUI-less server such as RHEL

I'd argue that in the current market, Linux is the definitive way to experience a computer because it requires you to develop an understanding. It's not a black box like windows or macos

FUCK LINUX AND FUCK YOU RECOMMENDING THIS SHIT!!!
I should started with GNU/Linux

Attached: 1472057604966.jpg (682x1024, 164K)

kek

Linux is a pretty bad OS, I agree.
Unless you aren't an autistic faggot.

So true. No more of this shit either

Attached: 1525457491644.png (1024x768, 32K)

Honest question. I'm noob at Linux. How is gentoo better than other distros?

It is not, it's just more time wasting than other distros because instead of downloading binaries, you just compile everything yourself by design.

>OS
>Linux

Yeah it means both the OS and the kernel.
Deal with it.
Words can have different meanings.

It's more customizable at the cost of a higher barrier of entry. It's more of a hobby type deal

Spending 3 days compiling gtk is a productive use of your time

unfortunately there ain't no employment in advertising & graphic design if you insist on using Linux only, so my Work Station Tabletop Shitbox(TM) rig runs Windows Server 2012 and cracked Adobes. Linux sits in CentOS VMs for webdev project purposes

i'm all for thought process behind tilan window managers, TUIs, suckless shit, writing shellscripts for all different purposes and getting past another episode of stockholm syndro-- new and exciting Vim-as-an-IDE-thing configuration and usage obstacles, but i get no money out of it and can't recommend it anyone with a job IRL

Attached: 69a700ba5a932e7173d87f7419fcf07d2d5c52daca9cbb68811eb36a8929a2ef.jpg (450x677, 23K)

>GIMP
>Great

>No video games?
There are video games, not as many as on windows true

>No professional adobe software?
Why does it specifically have to be adobe software? adobe software crash all the time on windows anyways. There are other options that are better for certain things.

>No professional software of any kind?
It depends on what you do. Video editing? da vinci resolve. System administration? more tools than windows then.

>No customer support?
You do have customer support if you use a distro with customer support, such as red hat linux.

>No drivers?
You do have drivers and most of them come directly with the kernel and require less setup than on windows. Also vulkan has better driver support on linux than on windows and supports a wider range of gpus.

>All major software is ripoffs of something else and only good to use if you're a NEET with no future?
You want windows software and complain when it doesn't exist on linux. Somebody then makes a linux version of it and you complain linux has ripoff software. Use the ripoff or use software that has existed for a long time on linux. Dont expect another os to work exactly like windows just because you are used to one workflow.

An OS doesn't only consist of a kernel.

Somewhat true
There are a lot of lintards that shout how any feature or software their OS does not have is bloat and "don't need that", but as soon it appears they start to shout about how great linux is and they have this feature ability now. Quite a pathetic display, if you ask me.
Latest example - games, every lintard on this board was crying about how "they dont game, they are adults" and now when GabeN gave them ability to play games they shout how wonderfully you can run games via proton.
And it happens with almost every feature.
Not every linux user is a lintard though, but there are many.

It's a meme. Install Ubuntu.

>Jow Forums is the majority of Linux users

I have a career in a non-tech related field, but use a gnu/linux os. I treat it more like a hobby and an interest. The benefits of using gnu/linux are worth the little time it takes to learn it. I also would not recommend gnu/linux to any normalfag.
Does this make me an unreasonable person like your post suggests?

>" I am talking about the general rule because like in every statistic, there are exceptions."
Can't you read?

Imagine spending half an hour typing out a post on an anonymous imageboard to suggest that other people are wasting their time

>Jow Forums is a person

You don't need that ≠ That feature sucks/is useless anyways

Learn the difference. The latter is sour grapes; the former ain't.

Saved
Dev support aside, Linux is acutely a better gaymeing OS. Package managers update GPU drivers faster then that bloatware you need to use on Windows and updates never interrupt what I'm doing. You can make a minimalist system that uses 1GB or less RAM. I also doubt Windows has anything like Lutris.

Attached: Screenshot_20181230_171939.png (875x144, 37K)

>Every /v/ kiddo is suddenly a professional 3D modeler, a graphics designer and a race car driver. At the same time they make threads asking how to disable the "Windows is not activated" wallpaper.
God, so much this.
99% of the population would unironically be better off on a simple Linux system, as all they do with a computer is just browse the web and check email.

>Linux users on Jow Forums are the majority of the Linux community

>"Windows is not activated" wallpaper.
>He doesn't know the 3 ways to do it, depending on which version (LTSB/LTSC/Enterprise)

>no games
Behold! We have a messenger from the past!
Welcome to our new world!