/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440s - best price/performance ultra portable
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide (newly updated):
dankpads.com/tpg/
>A plaintext map of ThinkPad history (WIP; please contribute):
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree
>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: saucys_a31p_2.jpg (2992x2000, 2.21M)

Other urls found in this thread:

x220.mcdonnelltech.com
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByM_tVEZgmIyd2IxcWZYRzZBaVU
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec.
stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

lolis

what's the state of Hackintosh + ThinkPads?

Thinkpads look and feel excellent but I despise every OS but macOS. Is there something I can do (save for killing myself :DDDD) ?

x220.mcdonnelltech.com

(not sure about other models, but Sandy and Ivy Thinkpads are confirmed to work with macOS)

Attached: IMG_1225.jpg (3024x4032, 1.23M)

x230/240 seem to work okayish (except the wifi card. you'll need to patch the bios and get one with a broadcom chip for os x to recognize it). newer ones I have no idea

i've done it with both a t420(high sierra) and a t410(snow leopard)
it was quite a lot of fun to do, but macOS isn't for me and once there were no more issues to fix i got annoyed at macOS itself and how i couldn't customize anything to my liking so i reinstalled gentoo within a week

I wonder if macOS could be done on a W520.. then I'd have something to use that old POS for

Is there anything I need to be aware about before buying a T450? I've seen people say that modern Thinkpads suck, but they can't be any worse than other modern laptops, right?

yes, buy a T440p or a T450s instead

The "s" model has 4gb RAM soldered and 1 slot free, while T450 has 2 slots

I got one and it's pretty sold, too bad the 768p sucks dick.

Which thinkpad should u get Jow Forums? I plan to install arch or gentoo and want to be able to use at least coreboot. Being able to upgrade the screen to something nicer would be a plus as well. I know nothing about thinkpads.

Oh and I plan to use kde or guh nome.

T400

Are x220/30 batteries interchangable?

Attached: xgonnagiveittoyah.jpg (4032x3024, 3.4M)

Works fine on my T440p.

No, not really. The ivy bridge series added management chips to batteries so you'd need a chink battery with a controller mask.

r8

Attached: thonkpad.webm (720x405, 2.86M)

physically yes but the X230 will bitch at you and not charge X220 batteries. You need to flash the embedded controller with this: drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByM_tVEZgmIyd2IxcWZYRzZBaVU or this: github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec.

The first link is the easiest way.

based

shit
needs more lewd

Cute

I've been looking at them both, but the T440P has the shitty trackpad and I can't find any 1080p IPS model or quad core model within my budget, and the T450s has soldered RAM

I'm going to buy the 1080p IPS model, that's the main reason for why I'm getting one over the T440P, it's harder to find 1080p IPS versions of that. I'm using the X230 right now and the 768p TN screen is borderline unusable.

What exactly is this and is it usable with linux?

Attached: thinkdock.jpg (1600x1066, 77K)

Oh, thanks. I had a battery upgrade for my x230 and was just wondering if I'd be able to use it on my x220.

>stock bios
step it up

Attached: IMG_1088 (1).jpg (4032x3024, 2.54M)

>tranny bios
step it up

USB3 dock? Probably doesn't work, you need drivers for that shit

user you forgot ur clip

Where'd you get that keyboard?

where is the best place to get batteries for the thinkpads? I have an e420 (no bully plz) and I want to get a super stendo battery.

amazon for reliable but expensive, or ebay for cheap, but (probably) unreliable

>trannyboot

Attached: st4.jpg (777x743, 74K)

What thinkpad to buy for around 500€ (germany) which has a somewhat decent screen and good batterylife. And it should not thermal throttle often, like my old razer blade strealth did.

Is it possible to add 4k display to x220?

Yeah, displayport. But it'll only drive at 30 refresh rate

>leahboot

Attached: leahboot.png (1155x1291, 63K)

True but I think that other poster was referring to the P51s, not P51, which is more powerful than the s version

I'm gonna look into how much more/less beefy the P51s is than a t540p w/ a 4800MQ or something similar. I'm seeing a P51 on ebay for $500, which might just barely beat out a hacked together t540p since it's slimmer, newer etc.

is it gay if i want to cum in tripcodes mouth?

Attached: 1539617959642.jpg (1280x1280, 797K)

For him is pretty gay, its very manly of you to want to sexually dominate anyone really.

this was actually pretty funny when he did this desu, he's not a bad tranny

Nah Dude that is some gay shit

yes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Attached: _IMG_000000_000000.jpg (1960x4032, 146K)

Attached: 154096.png (196x229, 61K)

I'm "the other poster";

T540p is faster than:
- T550, T560, T570
- W550s, P50s, P51s
T540p is slower than:
- P50, P51, P52
- T580

if you have $500 to spend, then a P50 will be a lot better than a T540p

>if you have $500 to spend, then a P50 will be a lot better than a T540p
P51* ... will be a whole lot better

actually, looking at prices on Ebay, a P51 for $500 is a fucking steal, buy that shit ASAP right away bro, that's your ThinkPad

Where can I get that toaster sticker?

here but they sold out: stickyarsenal.com/product/g-toaster

Other than the docking station, what uses can I get out of the underside docking port?

Just about to buy a T410, 8GB of RAM and 128GB SSD.

Any potential upgrades that need to be done for it to be beautiful?

Are there any major differences between the T450 and T450s other than the size? If the thermal performance doesn't suffer on the T450s because of the smaller body, then there's not really any point in getting the T450 over it if everything else is the same, is there?

Why a T410? You will probably miss the missing power.

At this point, up to you. iirc the S CPU options are a bit weaker but battery life is better.

why not? they seemed pretty good to me, especially with the specs i listed

I don't really mind having a thicker laptop if it means better performance, but I care more about having a good screen and it seems like it's easier to find the T450s with 1080p IPS screens compared to the T450.

That's fair.
I'd say go for it but it might not be worth it to upgrade it much. Maybe an SSD, considering how cheap they are these days.

What's the cheapest/best ThinkPad with a CPU at least 90% as powerful as a 4770K? (for mobile DTR)

I want an X201 as a super tiny gun to keep in my handbag.

I know the CPU is shit but I wouldn't do much intensive on it besides like very minor coding and word processing.

>gun
I, uh, don't know why I said gun.

are u ready

Attached: IMG_20181230_163931.jpg (1960x4032, 149K)

That was one long boot time.

user what are you doing...

I can't get the ribbon cable for the screen on because that thing is bent so the screen won't fit inside anymore. So I am going to remove that one part. It still has other places to keep the screen in place. It will just add character.

yeah definitively get a FHD one

Guys, do you think that X230 screen resultion would be enough for programming on the go? Something like 2 hours in school and maybe 2 in a café or something. Or should I go with T430 1600x900? I heard that it has worse TN panel than TN on X230.

Attached: 1544418595905.jpg (1024x1015, 123K)

Uhh wait but.....no? It's a P51s, not P51............so we're talking i5-7300u, 4GB RAM, spinning disk HDD. No way that's a good deal compared to a t540p with even a 4700MQ that outperforms the p51s CPU by like 10%. Right?

Yes the stock X230 display is perfectly fine. It may sound like it's too low resolution, but when the screen size is only 12.5", it's really not bad. The viewing angles are the only real problem with the display, and even then, they aren't that bad.

Maybe try grating cheese with it?

Attached: curly.jpg (157x196, 6K)

But why? Are there any real risks to not-liberating your laptop? Also, what if your hardware upgrades contain malware/spyware?

I have x220 and it's fine. Requires a lot of alt+tabbing and defo worse than on a stationary dual-monitor setup, but you should manage.

ok so im going to trannyboot an x200. I put the atheros network card in and turned the laptop on just to see what would happen. It says unauthorized network card and will not proceed to anything. I think this is probably correct, but maybe I fucked something up????? I mean I think it's just the intel bios not letting you do any other network card. can anyone confirm

what ThinkPad is that?

I thought it would be too small but I can actually do quite a bit on it. If you make good use of workspaces, there's not going to be any problem. I do everything on mine and stare at it all day.

click on the image to enlarge it you dumbfuck, its right underneath the monitor.

a31p

Attached: saucys_a31p_4.jpg (739x494, 40K)

A31p

Attached: saucy's a31p (1).jpg (2992x2000, 2.18M)

My x220's power socket wobbles.
What do

that numpad is hilarious

Indeed.

Attached: saucy's a31p (3).jpg (875x585, 65K)

Thermals on the T450s are good. However it only has 1 RAM slot and 4gb soldered. I use it since a year and a half, was looking for the non-s model but the current one came up for a good price. Not a fan of the touchscreen cause it has a little glare but the colors are nice and brightness is alsoo good.
T450 has 2 RAM slots, and you can get a 1080p IPS panel for cheap.

What ThinkPad should i get purely for collecting purposes? I have one from the mid 90s, the late 90s and the early 2010s, kind of feel like i need to fill in a gap for the 2000s, what should i get that's cheap and interesting?

T60?

I'm not gonna load a gun in the house retard. I don't live in the ghetto.

X301?

Pls no bully, i got that, but with all that shit hooked up to it i was just wondering if it was some chink mod of the A31p, that's all

thanks for the suggestion, i'll look into both
i can get a T21 and that monstrosity of a dock for £140, but that's too much

Nearby R500 type 2716 for 50 leafbucks. Should I get it?

Comfy

Attached: IMG_20181230_205038-01.jpg (3026x3024, 2.64M)

Your Trackpoint is disgusting. Clean your shit, you filthy nigger.

Any issues using a dock?

I tried asking this on advice board, but I barely got any replies, none of them helpful whatsover.

I recently got a Dell Latitude E7240. It's running on i5-4210U, 8gb of ram and is overall a pretty good machine, considering I got it for something like 180£. But I've noticed very unusual overheating when I play any sort of games. It doesn't matter if it is Morrowind or Fallout New Vegas, it has similarly high temperatures, which is odd considering Morrowind is very old and has barely any strain on a modern computer. I've tried it with all sorts of different games, both old and fairly recent, and the laptop overheats like hell no matter whatever game I run. It seems like any sort of graphical demands overheats it. The games run fine, even more modern things run pretty smoothly, so it isn't like the hardware deal with it. At any rate, I uninstalled the drivers for the intergrated graphics card and got new ones up, but the update made no difference. Next logical guess was that the fan must be full of dust, but opening the laptop up only showed me that it was nearly spotlessly clean inside. So what could be causing it? I'm nearly 100% sure something as old as Morrowind, Gothic 2 or Half life/Half Life 2 could never be so demanding as to make the laptop overheat. I'd get it that it would probably heat up quite a lot while playing Crusader Kings 2 or anything modern ( which I tried, runs fine, just heats a fuck ton ), but not with old shit. I thought I'd ask here. Thanks for any possible help.

Attached: soulsfrog.jpg (1024x898, 65K)

Weird flex but ok

Attached: pu78bmiak3y11.jpg (1079x947, 99K)

wtf are you doing not having an SSD?

>U
>weak dual core ulv shit
>overheating
your laptop is fubar

Even with old shit like Morrowind?

it's a 1.70 GHz dual core with 15W TDP while small laptops like the x220 use a 35W processor
maybe your processor has dried semen as thermal compound or the fan is full of crap, try cleaning the fan.