I added autocomplete

My beautiful baby is finally developing beyond the scope of a mere college assignment.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 3.37.52 PM.png (223x103, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

1stAmender.com
github.com/leethacker/Tendies-TUI
pastebin.com/raw/ftZgBji3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

YAY

Attached: 1063A3B5-12C3-43E1-AC07-B3A03B947921.gif (500x443, 495K)

Whatcha coding user?

Got sauce?

>Whatcha coding user?
A CLI text editor in my spare time.
>Got sauce?
Not yet, code not clean enough for the GitHubs.

Nice :) Keep it up

Dope

Predicts a 10 letter word with a single letter. Wow, it's shit.

I'm thinking of adding an internal terminal too, so you don't have to open a new tab to compile and execute what you wrote.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 6.35.06 PM.png (126x271, 47K)

In a small file its not a problem and is preferable

I have bestowed syntax highlighting upon my child. Do you guys think purple is a nice color or should I use a different color?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 7.26.08 PM.png (183x53, 15K)

More than one color

Already better than vim

I had the ambitious idea of using json files with different colors mapped to word lists, so I could show multiple colors and I was thinking of having a different json file for each popular language. Do you guys like that idea?

Based

Good work, keep in mind even if it never reaches the level of nano/vim/emacs, you still did something impressive

That's not a problem at all.
It could be a problem when there's a million viable symbols. Symbol count is a viable heuristic for deciding if you're supposed to predict or not. But it should be countered by something because when you've got a lot of symbols you're likely to want auto completion for the reason of being given chance to distinguish.

> what is

>Tfw developing it inside itself

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 7.56.42 PM.png (474x281, 36K)

l-lewd

> Python
Please tell me you're at least writing most of it in C

That's the dream, I'm making a simple Unix like OS with my friend for our retro pc clone. Would be cool to develop it on itself

Shut up fizzbuzzer.

> t. doesn't understand performance

And now load a 100mb sized file.

It's creepy when you refer to your program as "my child", please stop it.

Attached: concerned remilia.jpg (1400x1400, 529K)

is this the autist from 2 days ago who posted his "text editor" that he "wrote" after it imported literally 87 libraries?

No, that’s someone else. I’m only using the standard Python library.

Spoke like a true fizzbuzzer.

Your ability to shitpost is respectable

You're only outing yourself as a fizzbuzzer, bud. Tell me, ever heard of the saying "premature optimization is the root of all evil"?

Not but you remind me of the retard that wanted to do realtime audio processing in Python from a couple of weeks ago. In the same vein it will be impossible to build an effective, semi-streaming string buffer in Python that would be required for a worthwile text editor.

In other news, your saying doesn't apply here. "Death by a thousand cuts." is a saying that typically applies to Python projects, or "Premature pessimization is the root of all evil." or "Try not making basic retarded choices in your architecture next time".

Everything is coming alone nicely and rather quickly. I can now code, compile, and execute in the same tab. That was pretty much the only reason I would ever want to use Emacs over this until now.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 9.53.23 PM.png (471x69, 19K)

Sounds good, I'd also have an option to switch to relative line numbering, though don't know what kind of hotkeys you will have if it'll help at all

Can you write plugins with the fidelity of Emacs?

Love it user. I built an entire blog platform dedicated on the freedom of speech. It has my libertarian philosophies plastered throughout the site. I make about 100 views a day on my site with the assistance of my blogs. I am trying to make it into something. I love your project.

1stAmender.com

Lack of premature optimization is the root of text editors that have a splash screen, use hundreds of MB of RAM to display en empty file, and choke on a 100 MB log file.

Could you post link to source/binaries. Wouldn't mind trying it out

I don't want to release any of that until I at least make a help menu for the hotkeys. Once I feel like putting it on the web I'll probably make a thread.

What's your search algorithm for autocomplete?

Marvelous. Now if it really does need to be rewritten in C I can do it in the current version.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 10.27.29 PM.png (272x273, 18K)

I just find strings the working string is a substring of. As for the order it displays them, when you open the file it sorts the initial list by frequency. After that it sorts by last typed/used word.

>int main

Attached: 1545943690210.gif (680x499, 1.49M)

I'm the guy who called you a fag for using python Protip: Use the API and you can convert it in a comfortable fashion, starting with the performance critical pieces first and final working your way back

>>int main
The proper way but he doesn't fucking return a value

are you using some sort of library to create panels inside the same terminal window or what?

>#include "stdio.h"
>No argc or argv
>No whitespace before opening bracket
>printf string doesn't end in a newline
>No return
Stick with Python

Lmao no, I'm doing that the hard way.

Apart from your retarded C code it looks pretty comfy

How's this?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 10.54.58 PM.png (370x118, 19K)

Your C style needs some work.
#include // Standard imports use brackets

int
main(int argc, char* argv[] {
printf("Hello Jow Forums!\n");
return 0;
}

ftfy
int main(int o_0980db5dcca32000a2efcb0f3ec91674,char * o_c23d2df5a18e93cdb1b1752b08008e46[]){printf("\x48""e\154l\x6F"" \064c\x68""a\156!\x0A""");return (0x0000000000000000 + 0x0000000000000200 + 0x0000000000000800 - 0x0000000000000A00);};

Better! Just out of curiosity, are you using ncurses? If not, how are you handling coloring the terminal?

Remember to test early and test often!

I'm using the curses included in the standard Python library.

Oh gotcha! Best of luck with your program! Keep us updated; it's always pleasant seeing someone on Jow Forums actually building stuff.

nitpick, but it's a TUI(text user interface), not a cli
cli would be something that you could use with a paper tty

>void main

Attached: do_not_want_this_one.jpg (613x531, 36K)

I want to write a TUI program, but all that I can think of right now is some kind of toy program for a fictional cyborg girl character that does nothing but do pre-determined things with no actual use.
Maybe some kind of local network api thing that interfaces with a player, like Plex? lolidunno.

I wrote the help file. I'm now going to work on making help into a built in display and do some minimal code clean up. I might upload this super early version of the project tonight or tomorrow. Should I link my Github on Jow Forums or will I regret doing that and should just upload a zipped folder on a file hosting service?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 11.27.58 PM.png (288x208, 35K)

Create an org, upload to the org and hide your account. Maybe also rewrite all commits authors and set up your repo to not use your personal account when committing?

Just stick it on Bitbucket or Gitlab

Depends on how closely your account is linked to you irl, mine for an instance is my name

I was hoping to put it on pastebin but you have to pay for folder upload. Does anyone know any good alternatives? Should I just make a new github and put it there?

Make a new GH, yes

What should I name the project? I think Pinecone sounds nice or maybe Tendies.

Here you guys go. Let me know if you can get it to work on your machine and what kind of bugs you encounter.
github.com/leethacker/Tendies-TUI

Attached: 1533435531647.gif (500x300, 135K)

thank you user very cool, will try after I slept when I boot up my *NIX machine

I hate touhoutards but we're in agreement

>Tell me, ever heard of the saying "premature optimization is the root of all evil"?
Same page has pic.

So what do you think your beloved Knuth would say about using python?
In fact the quote itself if more like:
We should forget about small
efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil.
Yet we should not pass up our opportunities in that critical 3 %. A good programmer
will not be lulled into complacency by such
reasoning, he will be wise to look carefully
at the critical code; but only after that code
has been identified.

It's not commenting on acceptance of poor performance generally like you're expecting here. It's commenting on the performance concern of doing bit-fiddly tricks (which are now almost always done by compilers) in cold code paths like initialization code.

People like you who regurgitate this kind of misapprehension of the quote are a cancer on programming.

When you choose a language like python (and don't implement virtually everything in FFI like tensorflow and the like) you're making a concession that you don't care. Which is fine if you don't but many people do care about the performance of their editors.

Attached: file.png (269x294, 65K)

So did anyone try it yet? How was it?

>accidentally make it a codeblock
That's silly. I'm too used to posting code I guess.

>windows binding

Attached: 1522683516794.png (956x856, 943K)

My idea for my text editor was just to execute the code and redirect the output to a file and then display the output text.
Vim has autocomplete. The keybinding is annoying to press though.

it's quite buggy, I pressed and it shows help menu instead

Wat? What os are you using?

debian stretch and slackware 14.2

I just committed what should be a fix to that. Can you get any of the key bindings to work or does it just only work on macos?

it works now
another issue: unused keybinds such as inserts ^L

I just made a patch to inputfunc.py, see if that fixes it.

If I download this will be a part of your botnet?

Attached: 1517778304994.png (540x960, 586K)

is the autocomplete AI driven? if not, go back to work

>Vim has autocomplete. The keybinding is annoying to press though.
Ctrl+n annoying to press?
Don't tell me you didn't remap CapsLock as LCtrl yet

man dude you're a coding genius!

It will be extremely painful.

Add CTRL+X: Cut line

But caps lock is ESC already.

not him, I already mapped ESC to CapsLock

Don't want to make a Github account but heres the keywords for highlighting C#: pastebin.com/raw/ftZgBji3

(also curses-windows keeps crashing)

What's the problem with linking your personal github on Jow Forums? I don't get it.

Not automatic (that's what the auto in autocomplete is short for)

>word lists
>ambitious
might as well write a parser for the language of your choice and use that as a backend for both autocompletion + syntax highlighting

Do yourself and the community a favour and focus your efforts on improving the Emacs ecosystem instead of wasting time on your toy project.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel, you'd spend your time more wisely on the established best editor.

user, deleting a line at the very top of the file kicks the user out of the file

overengineered as fuck

It's not time wasted if you learned stuff, and you're not going to learn the same things than if you wrote Emacs plugins. Text editors can teach you a lot about data structures that you won't easily learn with other projects.

>writing a text editor in python
Opinion discarded, throwing the program in the trash.

I just committed a new update to the ctrl-k function. Did it fix it?

It does indeed,
any future plans for this project?

Added it.

Ironing out the kinks. Maybe adding some kind of select mode for copy/pasting.

The Onee-chan fag got roasted and doxxed