I don't understand why companies have been working so hard to add physical keyboards to tablets...

I don't understand why companies have been working so hard to add physical keyboards to tablets. I'm actually starting to prefer typing on a screen. It doesn't feel cramped, there's no loss of speed or accuracy, you literally only barely have to touch the "keys" rather than press (meaning it feels like you can type longer without getting tired), it's easier to input special characters, you can change the casing of a word after it's already written, and the keyboard literally disappears when you don't need it. Also, autocorrect is pretty helpful.

So what gives? Why is everyone trying to push tablets with keyboards when all that does is make the device bulkier and virtual keyboards are basically better in nearly every way anyway other than the fact that you can't type with your eyes closed? Touch typing on a screen actually isn't so hard and there's obvious potential in virtual keyboards.

Attached: 1527219840144.jpg (552x363, 36K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discord.gg/VtazHA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I hope the trend continues and physical qwerty comes back to phones

Attached: LG Voyager.gif (830x467, 161K)

>Virtual keyboards
+ Have extra features
+ Enable all the same functionality as physical keyboards
+ No moving parts, less room for failure
+ Easier to clean
+ Malleable; can adapt to how you hold the device rather than you adapting to it
+ Far more customizable
+ Can also be used as a trackpad
- Blocks half the screen when present (but who cares? You can hide the keyboard whenever you want.)

>Physical keyboards
+Doesn't take up any screen real estate at all
- Literally ew
- Makes the device heavier, bigger, more cumbersome
- Always there regardless of whether or not you need it
- Doesn't even try to predict what you're about to say
- Gets BTFO by really big detritus, sometimes even seemingly insignificant things like crumbs and water
- Customization requires physical labor as keys are static and unchanging (yuck)

Your move, keyfag.

Attached: Gt+not+frying+the+mustard+and+making+an+expired+butter+_a9e70bfce06f1b6efd599b4905247673.jpg (320x266, 27K)

It's the difference bequeen a usb keyboard and a ps2 keyboard

Fucking plebbit

Damn, I can hear that bird

The short answer is that each manufacturer that is still making tablets has moved away from marketing them as intermediate devices between phones a laptops as that space has narrowed to almost nothing. Instead they're now marketed as ultra portable laptop replacements. The problem is that iOS and Android still aren't built with full OS experience in mind.

But damn I wash Nvidia has made a Shield Tablet 2

>Virtual Keyboards
- Zero tactile response, making the fingers do more work, making the fingers more tired
- Zero tactile response, making the fingers do more work, resulting in slower typing
- Zero tactile feedback, resulting in less accurate typing
- Zero tactile feedback, resulting in an experience so unsatisfying that I want to punch a hole through my phone and tablet every time I have to use them
- BIG enough to obscure most of the screen, still SMALL enough to be a pain in the ass
- Being software, it's at the whim of shitty designers, and whatever other bloat and spyware your proprietor has running on your device competing for CPU time.
- Being software, it's SLOW
- Being tied to the screen, it limits how the user can interact with it.

>Physical Keyboards
+ None of any of that fucking shit above
+ All your points are retarded

also
>literally ew
>yuck
>BTFO
put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger you subhuman scum

Attached: 1527809044645.jpg (220x229, 9K)

But why not market tablets as the next big thing? "Laptops are dead, long live tablets. You don't need a keyboard."

>- Gets BTFO by really big detritus, sometimes even seemingly insignificant things like crumbs and water
t. Applefag

>- Zero tactile response, making the fingers do more work, making the fingers more tired
Yeah, nah. Usually my fingers feel more tired after having to repeatedly press and release keys rather than barely even touch a flat surface. Virtual keyboards are less stressful.
>- Zero tactile response, making the fingers do more work, resulting in slower typing
Not unless the virtual keyboard is about the same size as a normal keyboard, like in Windows or the larger iPads. Then muscle memory kicks in and even though you can't feel the keys, you can still type just as accurately and quickly as always.
>- Zero tactile feedback, resulting in less accurate typing
Again, see previous statement. This whole 'tactile feedback's angle is really more of a minor setback for just a few days until you get used to it. Then it's not a problem at all. In fact, it improves the typing experience mostly. Just as you have to get used to physical keyboards, you have to become accustomed to virtual ones as well.
>- Zero tactile feedback, resulting in an experience so unsatisfying that I want to punch a hole through my phone and tablet every time I have to use them
Calm your Asperger's.

>- BIG enough to obscure most of the screen, still SMALL enough to be a pain in the ass
Varies from device to device. On mine, it takes up less than half of the display and is quite large enough to be comfortable. Don't type on a tablet smaller than 10 inches and don't use a display in an aspect ratio that is overly rectangular. 4:3 is pretty tops, and so is 3:2. You get more than enough vertical space - even in landscape - to see what you're doing and feel comfortable doing it.
>- Being software, it's at the whim of shitty designers, and whatever other bloat and spyware your proprietor has running on your device competing for CPU time.
Hardware is also at the whim of shitty designers.
>- Being software, it's SLOW
Again, varies from device to device. Laptops can also be quite slow upon registering physical keystrokes.
>- Being tied to the screen, it limits how the user can interact with it.
On the contrary; it supplies the user with more options and flexibility. It's all just pixels on a screen.

>he doesn't know Dell, Toshiba, and Sony have all had similar problems that aren't nearly as blown out of proportion by their users (mostly because this is the kind of thing their users have come to expect at this point)

>Being software, it's at the whim of shitty designers, and whatever other bloat and spyware your proprietor has running on your device competing for CPU time.
right, cuz poorly designed physical keyboards and keylogging programs simply don't exist, yeah?

Half of these are (You) problems.
>needing tactile feedback just to function at all
>acting like that somehow makes you badass

Git gud noob

>you can still type just as accurately and quickly as always.
not when autocorrect is off, dumpling
>get used to physical keyboards,
never had to.
>Asperger's
Asperger's what?
Wanting something to feel nice is immensely important because I'm an actual human being. It's why I invest in silk underwear, soft sheets, and other comfy things. It's why I like rain patter on windows and crackling fire. It's why people love stick-shifts and a million other little satisfying things. It's what makes things feel real. Neutered virtual things simply don't output the same amount of sensory information for your muscles to recognize and learn.
>large enough to be comfortable
maybe with skinny tranny fingers
>Hardware is also at the whim of shitty designers.
by virtue of it being hardware, even poor design will be faster. Also less brainlets working closer to the metal.
>Laptops can also be quite slow upon registering physical keystrokes.
Not because of the keyboard
>it supplies the user with more options and flexibility.
I'm reclining and i want the keyboard on my lap and the screen orthogonal to my face. How can I accomplish this?
>keylogging programs
who the fuck is talking about keyloggers
Nope.
>badass
when was this ever implied you desperate retard. Winning arguments must come easy tilting at windmills, npc

Attached: 1510044285336.png (540x532, 299K)

>not when autocorrect is off, dumpling
Speak for yourself. I find it really easy to hit the right keys on the first try without slowing down. Most of the time, autocorrect isn't needed. But it is handy to have around for those rare occasions when I do fuck up.
>never had to
So you were just born a typing wizard? I highly doubt that.
>Wanting something to feel nice is immensely important because I'm an actual human being.
This is where I start to believe our opinions differ. I think typing on a screen actually does feel pretty nice. I don't become filled with rage at the idea of having to use a virtual keyboard. I anticipate it.
Maybe you're using the wrong keyboard. Or you're typing on a Kindle Fire.

>maybe with skinny tranny fingers
Or if the keys just so happen to be about the same size as the keys you'd find on a physical island-style keyboard, and are spaced pretty accurately apart as well.
>by virtue of it being hardware, even poor design will be faster. Also less brainlets working closer to the metal.
Where's the logic there? Bad design is bad design. The good news is that if you don't like the design of a virtual keyboard, you can replace it instantly and for free. The same can be said about physical keyboards, but it's more of a pain to return it and exchange it for another.
>Not because of the keyboard
Kind of a redundant point to make. The implication here seems to be that slowness while typing is OK, as long as it's not being caused by the keyboard itself, which is stupid.
>I'm reclining and i want the keyboard on my lap and the screen orthogonal to my face. How can I accomplish this?
Recline and look down. It's not that hard.

>born a typing wizard
learning to type and getting used to the interface by which typing is accomplished are two different things.
> think typing on a screen actually does feel pretty nice
> typing on a Kindle Fire.
I've typed on iphones, largest ipads, samsung galaxy, etc. And I've been typing on them since the ipod touch was first released—I remember it was the first touch interface that didn't feel like complete dogshit. The touchscreen meme was fun for a while, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I play the piano/banjo and sculpt/draw and the point is that a lot of my brains are in my hands. Maybe I'm just more sensitive but having to do any amount of extended typing on a touch screen actually fills me with a momentary wave of rage.

Attached: 1545219106069.gif (200x200, 394K)

>my opinion is objectively right: the thread
The OP asks why it's necessary to implement physical keyboards on tablets when the whole point of tablets was to ditch the keyboard and mouse in the first place. Not why physical or virtual keyboard are better.

>learning to type and getting used to the interface by which typing is accomplished are two different things.
The point is that if you give it a day or two, it's incredibly easy to get used to and poses no inconvenience to the user. The same would be said if virtual typing was the norm and physical keyboards were a niche.

>Maybe I'm just more sensitive but having to do any amount of extended typing on a touch screen actually fills me with a momentary wave of rage.
Let's agree to disagree. I find touch screen typing quite functional and pleasant. I prefer it over physical keyboards, actually. You don't. That's fine.
My question is about why companies like Apple and Microsoft and even Google refuse to market their tablets without them also being accompanied by their keyboards. They're effectively just laptops with touch screens at that point. Sort of defeats the purpose.

>you can replace it instantly
replace it with what? More shitty software?
>which is stupid
yes when we're talking about the merits of a style of keyboard we should make sure that we;re actually talking about the effects of the keyboard. Everything has to wait for CPU time but a virtual keyboard will necessarily be magnitudes more taxing. And if you're using a PS/2 it literally only takes something like 10 electrical pulses to register a scancode. And the points of failure are nowhere near as multitudinous as software running software running software running software running keyboard software
>Recline and look down
>at a slanted screen
wonderful
>give it a day or two,
I've given it years. Still sucks. No other method of input is as satisfying, accurate, or as fast as a finely made keyboard.

Attached: 1536192610452.png (1024x768, 555K)

>replace it with what? More shitty software?
Implying all software is bad. Classic Jow Forums

discord.gg/VtazHA
run by an internet couple
say that theres no way u can be racist against white people
and are huge liberals
who get angry at the mention of the word gay

Attached: 359010538497376259.png (94x128, 21K)

>Implying all software is bad
>Everything has to wait for CPU time but a virtual keyboard will necessarily be magnitudes more taxing
No, I'm implying what I wrote

>Recline and look down
>>at a slanted screen
>wonderful
Turn the tablet upside down. Now its screen is facing you, not the ceiling, and your hands are placed ergonomically on the display as you like on your back.
It's really not that hard to figure out.

Go away Jow Forums. NYPA

uh that won't work

ur a fucking idiot normie faggot

>I'm actually starting to prefer typing on a screen. It doesn't feel cramped, there's no loss of speed or accuracy, you literally only barely have to touch the "keys" rather than press (meaning it feels like you can type longer without getting tired), it's easier to input special characters,
>Also, autocorrect is pretty helpful.
You're not a good typist if these are helpful for you.

>it's easier to input special characters
stopped reading right there, this is bait

my sides

Attached: Untitled.png (908x726, 10K)

The fuck? Fuck off

>I don't understand why companies have been working so hard to add physical keyboards to tablets.
Because opinions exist and not everyone is fond of yours.

>+ Can also be used as a trackpad
So can my physical keyboard
>- Blocks half the screen when present (but who cares? You can hide the keyboard whenever you want.)
Yeah you can totally hide it while typing
>- Literally ew
That's what I think when I see a keyboardless phone
> Makes the device heavier, bigger, more cumbersome
So do screens, batteries, SoCs, etc.
>- Always there regardless of whether or not you need it
Unless you got a slider
>- Doesn't even try to predict what you're about to say
Does too