If macs were cheaper, and free, would you buy it? I would...

If macs were cheaper, and free, would you buy it? I would, i think macs could be good products if they didnt cost you so much. But for as long as they keep their price the same, they can get fucked by beastie

Attached: Hello-Again-MacBook-Pro-Lineup-780x521.jpg (780x521, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.apple.com
github.com/microsoft
curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2008-09/0171.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

by free i meen free operating system

>fagbooks
>free operating system
AAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Attached: 1529319285135.png (843x1591, 620K)

nvm they can get fucked

Why does apple hate Linux so much?
Is it just because they want to be the dominant/only continuation of Unix?

Attached: 1517708993176.png (514x697, 85K)

Based Linus

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH BTFOOO

Attached: image.jpg (540x540, 520K)

they're based of bsd, bsd fags
who tf uses bsd anyway that aren't using apple products?

They would be quite great if the hardware didn't sucked so hard.

fuck that's scarier than any horror game ever

Only retards would pay $2500 for a 15" laptop.

suck harder than my trap bf suck hard cock
top kek
do apple users even what they're worth? is anyone that use apple even a techie? Why do alot of programmers use that shit?
apple users a pure retards

Checked and I hate Steve Jobs for a specific reason now, rather than just because he overcharged for mediocre products with attractive design.

just like Terry fucking A. Fucking Colby.

you also forget a loss of the internet considering practicly every website in the world runs linux. does anyone use bsd, mac server, solaris and windows server for hosting a website?

I use OpenBSD and don't use apple products. NetBSD users are probably the same. Most people who use FreeBSD are running servers and routers/firewalls.

why don't people use linux for that? better support, more compatible, etc

Alot of websites are run on Windows for some reason. FreeBSD used to be more popular for servers.

i got a super cheap (almost free) 2011 256 SSD macbook air that had a broken headphone jack, broken charger and crap battery life a few years ago.

I secure wiped it, put debian on it and bought a new charger and battery for it. Its literally fucking perfection. Its actually become my main machine since my i7 x58 mobo died. They are great machines. Whodathunkit

[picture related] with its PPC daddy who i also got free

Attached: IMG_6082.jpg (3264x2448, 1.61M)

I use OpenBSD for technoreligious reasons. I like that it prioritizes security over performance, the code correctness meme, that it has no code of conduct, and that the default install comes with lots of useful things like web/email/dns servers, firewall/routers, xorg, vmd, etc. I think operating systems are like religions and religions are like operating systems.

This is the proper way to use apple computers.

>If macs were cheaper,
I honestly think high price is part of the appeal for people who use Macs right now. Because it shows, they can afford it.

> would you buy it?
Anyway... probably not. I am used to windows and if i were to migrate, i would go for linux+GNU for ideological reasons.

No, this is.

Attached: 1538707293991.jpg (768x893, 184K)

no - they're botnet - not free hardware- i'd buy a rock64

it's known phenomenon that people will think a product is higher quality if it's given a higher price. This is part of the equation when companies determine pricing.

the appeal is definitely not that it expensive. That is such a retarded theory

I have macs anyway because I’m not poor and enjoy comfy Unix. If you think $1300 is a lot of money I feel bad for you senpai.

Apple have released a lot of things under an open source liscence tho

opensource.apple.com

Well if you use Unix why would you want to slum it with Linux?

>t. too poor for unix

>Why do alot of programmers use that shit?
MacOS is a fully posix compliant OS. MacBooks look nice and have excellent build quality and $2000 for a machine that will last five years isn’t a big deal unless you work at McDonalds.

>MacOS is a fully posix compliant OS

Yeah and all the "STEM" "scientist" uses it, because the Admin guys must use up all the budget. Never mind that those scientist don't even know what POSIX means, or if they know how to program anything outside Matlab or Mathematica

MacOS also has the benefit of being the comfiest desktop OS in existence too, the fact it’s fully posix complaint Unix is just the icing on the cake

No, because they're poorly made products that only have value for their brand, which they would lose by being cheap.
So being cheap would literally remove the only reason to get one.

wtf
i had no fucking i idea windows server existed until i thought about it for gaming and googled

>i had no fucking i idea windows server existed
Children don't belong here.

haha kek
i meant free os
it fucking is when you don't get alot back.
And mac isn't unix, it's based of bsd whic is a *nix os

>i meant free os
you mean as in free beer or free speech?

?

They've still got shit thermals resulting in shit performance and shit keyboards.

nope
wouldnt even buy the newest one if it was 100 dollars
im not gay

based linus
subbing to his channel
always loved his gpu unboxing vids

>cheaper and free
>by free I mean free
>would you buy
If its free you don't have to buy it.
Are you drunk?

People use it's terminal?

by free i mean free os, by cheaper i mean cheaper hardware

If it would be the price of a normal laptop or cheaper I still wouldn't buy it.
If I buy a laptop, it is mine. I should be able to open it and replace things and install linux if I want to.

im actually oon shrooms

Attached: images (30).jpg (554x554, 17K)

yes, their macbook and macpro are god tier in build quality and design imo
if only they sell macbook pro without macos on half the price right now

I don't find them particularly expensive. 1800 is what my last thinkpad set me back. that's what I would have to pay for a comparable MBP. so yeah I think the only ones screeching are poorfags

Having used one for multiple years, no. Its not just the price that's shit. It's the shitty hardware and the shitty software. If the devices were free as in without cost, I wouldn't get one. I'd rather an hero than owning such utter crap.

I’d prefer to stick with Unix desu

>If macs were cheaper, and free, would you buy it?

Yes. If Mac minis were still 500€ as they were back in the day I'd consider buying one.

mac is *nix bsd not unix

When you consider the whole package, screen quality, build quality, after sales support, the best desktop operating system available, etc you realise that the MacBook isn’t actually expensive. It’s cheap for what you get.

OS X is UNIX.

"UNIX" is really just a trademarked name, applied by The Open Group, upon completion of a certification. Many different - not at all compatible - OSes are certified as a UNIX. OS X among them.

Apple has submitted OS X for certification (and received it,) every version since 10.5. However, versions prior to 10.5 (as with many 'UNIX-like' OSes such as many distributions of Linux,) could probably have passed certification had they applied for it.

So it really depends on if you define "UNIX" as "the trademarked name by The Open Group, as applied to operating systems that have certification from The Open Group as a UNIX system" or if you define "unix" as "an operating system that functions like the original AT&T Unix operating system, and meets the standards set forward in any version of the Single Unix Specification, even if it was never submitted to The Open Group for testing and certification," then every OS X back to the original one would likely qualify. (As would most Linux distributions, even though none have undergone The Open Group certification.)

Pic related, Mojave’s Unix 03 certification.

Attached: C4061215-57D6-473B-90DA-816D5825B1C6.jpg (673x918, 188K)

>Backdoor inside CPU
I wouldn't even if it was cheaper than old chinkpads

I would, they are nice machines but cost too much.
t. Linuxfag

fuck off i can be a linux fag if i want you prenteentios white hipster llistening to hapier on your wireles beats on your iphone mothufucka

> would you buy it?
Not the new ones with USB-C. Don't even consider buying other laptops in the next 5 to 10 years with ports cut down like that.

This unironically would have been the better outcome because FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc. would all have taken its place. No communist GPL, no GNU bloat.

top ten questions science still cant answer

honestly I like apple products, theres a lot about the company that I hate, but my dad has one of those old thicc macbooks like the one on the left and its a pretty /comfy/ machine if you boot linux on it, it has a nice aesthetic to it too, the company can suck my ass thought, fuck apple

nice opiinion

> FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, etc. would all have taken its place
They can't compete in the free market, obviously, since they can't compete now.

Lel

what abbout solaris?

If they had better keyboards, had ports, didn't overheat and had a pointing stick, yes.

Also if you could natively run Linux on them.

They don't? I remember installing Ubuntu 10.04 in my white Macbook with no problems (other than EFI)

No because they can die so easily conaored to othwr machines. The os is pretty comfy tho

Attached: IMG_20181231_124658.jpg (2592x1944, 917K)

>just add a bit of openwashing
>Haha goyim yes we are totally embracing open source!

github.com/microsoft
oh wow, guess they're fine then

They wont have enough money for R&D that makes them good in the first place, who do you think pays for developing OSX?

I'd buy a MacBook if it wasnt so heavy on gesture usage and if the keyboard felt good and didn't die to crumbs.

>proprietary OS that's insecure and ridden with bugs
>inferior and underpowered hardware

they should be WAY cheaper than a real laptop for me to buy one

Even if macs were cheaper and ran gnu/linux they still would be shit because
>hard or near impossible to do hardware maintenance
>internal non-removable batteries
>low quality aluminium casing, poor durability
>glowing apple logo makes me feel like a sheep, same reason I avoid nike clothes

Attached: 1516634408406.gif (500x282, 315K)

>glowing apple logo makes me feel like a sheep, same reason I avoid nike clothes

this, so much this
why would people pay for being a walking billboard is beyond any logic

i bought a macbook air and for a week i felt like a normie at uni

then I returned it because it cant play games

>proprietary OS that's insecure and ridden with bugs

Fully certified posix compliant Unix that’s comfy as hell, you mean.

>repeatedly press enter to get root access

Attached: 590.gif (280x207, 453K)

>machine that will last five years
As long you don't turn it on

>Fully certified posix compliant Unix
POSIX compliance is purely based on $$$. Debian is probably more POSIX compliant.

Attached: 1488027011722.png (506x916, 103K)

shhh,.. you're ruining the only defense they have

>brainlets opinion means anything

this guys blogpost states that the issue was fixed ten years ago. Meanwhile poll(2) still shits up on Linux frequently

>bug in curl
>somehow this is apples fault
Jej

That was a problem with curl, and existed on GNU/Linux aswell
curl.haxx.se/mail/lib-2008-09/0171.html

>Why do alot of programmers use that shit?
Primarily webshits use it, though there are many otherwise intelligent devs who use those not-shitty, older models of CuckBook. They are thin, quiet, and have a massive battery.

I can understand the appeal of those older CuckBooks, even though I'm a zealot of nice looking computers: blocky, utilitarian ala IBM thinkpads.

>NO IT ALWAYS WORKED RIGHT AND AND IF IT DIDN'T IT WAS SOMEONE ELSES FAULT
It was fixed literally late 2016. I don't know why Applefags are unable to admit past faults. Windows users don't act like ME or Vista was great and it was the programs.

>apple should take responsibility for someone else’s software not working even though it also didn’t work on Linux

Lel

>better support,
Have you ever read the OpenBSD man pages? Who needs support when you have usable documentation?

Of course not.
Owning a mac means I am a superior human being.
If they were cheap, and everyone could afford them, then I would throw mine in the trash and never buy from them again.

you sound young and inexperienced in life.

People post free shit on Craiglist all the time and they have to change the listing to 'charging x amount of money' because people prefer to travel to buy something instead of getting it for free.

>Doesn't know the history
FreeBSD was poised to be what Linux is today, but SCO kept them tied up in legal bullshit. You know, that same SCO who would later go on to try and do the same thing with Linux distros as well.

>if it wasnt so heavy on gesture usage
Why would you want LESS functionality? You realize MacOS comes with a per-app, universal hotkey configuration tool that's built into the OS as well, right?
You don't need to use gestures at all if you don't want to. Especially if you buy Better Touch Tool.

Attached: 1540831935064.png (1560x1386, 613K)

Apple took responsibility for their OS breaking.
A program using something defined in the POSIX standard isn't undefined behavikor.

Everyone knows Apple ships with outdated userland tools. That's part of why homebrew exists.

A bug in a specific version of curl which existed in multiple operating systems isn’t apples fault duh

Even if Macshit was $100 I wouldn't buy it. If they gave the things away by the truckload I'd only take them so I can sell them to idiots like you. Even if MacOS was free and open source I wouldn't use it because the outdated BSD/GNU core offers nothing over Linux and it has no drivers, and the GUI is designed for children and retards.

It used to be that Unix software was ported to Linux (which is why Linus implemented POSIX compliance in the first place). Now Linux software is ported to Unix, because Unix is a dying, legacy platform. Even Solaris is using Gnome and MATE now, and MacOS relies on GCC for the compilers in XCode. Linux and FOSS have you by the balls. We own the *nix world now and utterly dominate the embedded, server, and mobile phone markets. We're coming for desktops and laptops next, faggot.

Attached: 1546034575156.jpg (342x345, 15K)