Init freedom

>init freedom
>not free to choose systemd
Let's compare this to MX linux, probably the only non-source based distro where you can easily remove/reinstall systemd.

Attached: download.png (456x110, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

devuan.org/os/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Devuan with Systemd is literally just Debian. If you want to have Systemd in Devuan, you have the freedom to use Debian instead.

I installed the stable jessie version a few days ago.
Tonight I will do the upgrade to ascii

It's freedom from systemd, potenigger

honestly, dont
I've tried it, and would recommend using the stable version

Why, whats the issue with ascii?

>>not free to choose systemd
>implying you can't just install Debian if you want systemd
stop being retarded.

Is ascii not stable?
I'm running it now without issue.
Just checked, ascii is stable.
devuan.org/os/

>devuan.org/os/
Yep, this is what I thought.
How you finding it? I will continue with my plan to upgrade I think

>init freedom
>no shepherd, the objectively best init

Attached: 811218907692.jpg (200x200, 7K)

Was on Ubuntu initially for a few years, switched to Debian for a few months, and switched to Devuan when I knew better about the systemd bullshit.
Been on it about 4 months now. Got xfce real comfy with all my original shortcuts from my original ubuntu + i3 setup.
I don't really want to stray from the debian-like distros so I landed on Devuan, and its been really nice. No major issues and the minor ones were ironed out easily enough.
I will be on Devuan for a long long time.
My one single complaint about Devuan is the network manager: wicd.
I can't seem to get it to connect to unsecured wireless networks. A weird issue I know, but I'm working on a solution and will be documenting it when I find it.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-12-27_17-11-23.png (1366x768, 663K)

That is a weird issue.
I have been a Debian or deb derivative user for a long time and have wanted to make the move to devuan for a few months now. If it all goes well on my laptop then I will do the same with my main machine and move that to Devuan as well

Yeah I filed the bug report for it, but haven't seen any action taken on it.
Considering other network managers now,
But yeah, it's just debian minus systemd, so you'll be no stranger to how everything works.
Whats your DE of choice?

XFCE - always. Havent used anything else

ascii is stable and works withouth issues
i even tried beowulf but do not recommend

I run ascii on some old p4. No issues.
Fastest than any distro I tried on that ancient pc.

>debootstrap --variant=minbase --arch=amd64 --include sysvinit-core stretch /mnt
why the fuck would I use devuan over bootstrapped debian with sysvinit?

I have an i3 Tosh lappy that is about 6 or so years old - this will get the upgrade to ascii tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes

wow thanks and have a good 2019

>>init freedom
Your choice is only one and it's a pos from the past. Meanwhile upstart became abandonware and nobody ported launchd. Still got assmad because muh systemd. Shitheads.

Attached: 1521854226557.png (350x600, 288K)

You can use openrc, runit, sinit, or sysvinit on Devuan.

How?

fuck mate, just boot the debian installer and switch to a different TTY (alt + F2). Then you mount your drives and debootstrap the debian onto the mounted disk.

By installing them?

forgot to mention that you can install whatever init system you want while chrooted into the debian installation on your disk because systemd is not installed by default by debootstrap.

Damn, someone should tell those devuan fags that they wasting their times and skill on redundant shit, rather than working with debian fags.

Attached: devuuuuan.png (295x171, 5K)

both are shit, just use debian which has more timely security updates and isn't contrarian

Debian only supports sysvinit and systemd.

They could help on that inside the distro.

Debian devs refuse to consider it.

this, fuck retards and their distro of a distro sickness

>>init freedom
>>not free to choose systemd
Dumbo. Of course you can. You can also install and use sysinit on vanilla Debian.

ascii is stable, other user is just retarded.

I'm using Devuan with wicd on my X220, I tried to make it a super-minimal install (battery life and all), so it does literally zero network config on startup, just starts wicd and moves on. I wrote a script for connecting to unsecure wifi networks, I'll post it for you in a minute. It's only 3 or 4 lines IIRC.

here you go, user.
echo "enter ssid:"
read ssid
ifconfig wlan0 up
echo "connection..."
iwconfig wlan0 essid "$ssid"
echo "getting IP address..."
dhclient wlan0

only snag is you have to run it as root, either that or add sbin to your PATH.

So you ran into it too, huh?
What the fuck, the wicd devs should be fixing this.
But thanks pham, I'll be adapting it to my use.