/minimalism/ - software minimalism general

Considered Harmful Edition

Previous thread:
For suggestions on programs that aren't bloat refer to suckless.org/rocks

Share advice, reduce bloat, and help others reduce their bloat.

These are the most common locations of bloat in your system:
>OS
>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

General advice:
If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux and/or Unix, this thread isn't for you.
VS Code is not minimal. No, gedit isn't either.
If you think it might be bloat, it probably is.
If you know it's bloat, we're already laughing at you.

Attached: min-recs.png (1008x756, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/invite/nntr2n6
morpheus.2f30.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=JqYhuwu614Y&index=33&list=PLpeZesOuA7_c5qp-V91D7AaQ8ClBwMMVh
youtube.com/watch?v=pkAwbLqi8Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=FgbPUuX9IVM
youtu.be/pkAwbLqi8Bw?t=207
wiki.debian.org/Dwm
9front.org
simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computer_science)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

post your setup anons

Attached: 2018-12-31-005500_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 343K)

>still missing mg

devuan is pretty trash honestly, all it's made me want to do is move to gentoo proper. Still better than debian though

Attached: 2018-12-31-1546239813.png (1366x768, 1.76M)

Is void considered minimal? What is a truly minimal and functional distro in your opinion?

Attached: 1539503567793.gif (488x302, 1.67M)

>OS
CRUX
>DE/WM
Ratpoison
>Video player
MPlayer
>Music player
Music On Console (that's the name)
>Image viewer
sxiv
>File Manager
vifm
>Text Editor
Elvis
>Shell
Bash
>Web Browser
Icecat
>Terminal
UXTerm

Texting some stuff still. Also I am porting stuff

Attached: CRUX.png (1280x800, 165K)

I like it a lot, this is my second machine running it. I'm not a big ricer (if my pic didn't make it obvious), so I'm just happy that the installation was simple and sane, and it's nice and lightweight.
Gentoo is a bitch to set up if you don't have an internet connection, which was the case when I set up this machine. At ~150MiB RAM usage at idle in i3, or 97MiB without i3, I'm not really sure how much lighter I can get. It might actually not be time to install gentoo, at least for me right now.

also dont forget to join our discord channel*

discordapp.com/invite/nntr2n6

Attached: dfa04_m.jpg (240x134, 10K)

bloatniggers, don't post in this thread.

Attached: hot.jpg (1080x995, 132K)

discord is bloat
discord is a botnet
discord is a bloated botnet

don't be a retarded dumb bloatnigger and use it.

Fuck off

javascript is for bloatniggers
always disable that FUCKING CANCER
Dumb ass fucking nigger, do you think anyone who uses minimal software use discord??? Where the fuck do you think you are??? IRC or bust.

/minimalism/ feels like a pretty bloated name. should we go to something like
>/min/
>/smt/ (software minimalism thread)
>/mg/ (minimalism general)

Discord is harmful. IRC is a non-harmful alternative.
here are some good IRC channels covering topics Jow Forums and Jow Forumsminimalism/ might like:
irc.oftc.net #suckless
irc.freenode.net #cat-v
irc.rizon.net #Jow Forumssicp
irc.rizon.net #dailyprog

do /smt/ in the next thread
Its all about software and minimal code after all.

Attached: 32414787_2039657346252103_2885458556729950208_n.jpg (1080x1350, 173K)

damn dawg chill. Anger is such a bloat emotion

I don't use it personally but for what I see it can get minimal enough

Attached: 2018-12-11-142351_640x480_scrot.png (640x480, 39K)

morpheus.2f30.org/

what is this
is this /smt/ distro??

youtube.com/watch?v=JqYhuwu614Y&index=33&list=PLpeZesOuA7_c5qp-V91D7AaQ8ClBwMMVh
Thread playlist? thread playlist

Attached: x_2018-11-28.png (1280x800, 6K)

>tfw no minimal gf
sounds good to me, user. I like /smt/ too.

shittiest quads I've ever seen
passion isn't bloat, user

heres your music playlist

youtube.com/watch?v=pkAwbLqi8Bw

looks pretty minimal to me. Hope they don't decide to ax the intel wifi driver blobs, though.

Attached: My face when.jpg (400x400, 30K)

the suckless community isn't autistic man

youtube.com/watch?v=FgbPUuX9IVM

thats cat-v, they are autistic minimal.

>youtu.be/pkAwbLqi8Bw?t=207

Attached: I came.jpg (1705x714, 113K)

never said they were autistic, but there is a decent bit of overlap between the cat-v and suckless communities, enough to say that if one is autistic, then the other almost certainly has a few autists. I will give suckless credit, though- they have a much larger repertoire of useful, minimal software than cat-v.

I never masturbated to her instagram pictures or videos of her on youtube. I just like her, thats all. Fapping to a girl like that is pathetic, i'd rather just put babies inside her. Shooting my bloated warm semen in her slavic vagina is more satisfying.

I totally agree

Attached: IMG_20180805_010557.jpg (400x600, 54K)

>OS
9front with Inferno
>DE/WM
modded rio and riced wm/wm
>music player
Shell script that writes to /dev/audio
>image viewer
page and wm/view
>file manager
terminal and acme
>text editor
ed and acme
>shell
rc in 9front and sh in Inferno
>browser
modded Charon in Inferno
>terminal
rio and wm/sh

I added this shit:
>pdf viewer
page
>typesetting language
troff (not nroff nor groff)
>programming language
C and Limbo
>phone os
Hellaphone
>encryption
Factotum
>backup mechanism
Venti
>chat
Disco for discord
>bootloader
9boot
>C compiler
8c and other *c
>GUI toolkit
Panel and Tk
>httpd
Inferno httpd with werc clone
>mail client
Mail in acme

>>bUT whAt AbOUt lINuX??
>Distro
Bare
I use plan9fromuserspace for absolutely everything and i drawterm to my plan9 server for any real work
If i absolutely had to use it (on someones machine (in work) without root), i carry around an Inferno flashdrive for Linux, MacOS and Windows

Try to beat this (protip you possibly can't)

Why can't software be both good and minimal?

Nice bait.

Is i3 bloat? I'm already so used to it that I don't really feel like switching to dwm. Dwm does look very good though.

thoughts on this

just do it, no need to customize or change anything.

if you want to customize it, follow this guide

wiki.debian.org/Dwm

bloatmeme
hahhahahha

Attached: 9f58671e6737f121ee69f52ed2f35d90df3b7ed603506583e6f218628fadfaf3.png (666x666, 591K)

It's great but i'd rather use 9front. Morpheus uses a lot of suckless shit that i'm not familiar with but it's minimal enough.

Don't. Dwm is autism and it's not really useful. I recommend you use bspwm, it's perfect and pretty clean.
>Inb4 BSPWM IS NOT MINIMAL REEEEEEE
The x protocol is maximum bloat, you literally can't make it more bloated. Might as well make good use of all its features.

9front.org

Use acme

Remember that:
Linux is absolute bloat, it's 50x bigger than 9front yet it covers 8x more ground tops
Xorg is absolute dogshit-tier retarded trash. It was made for MIT niggers and terminal bullshit for Unix and it's a goddamn relic, you shouldn't use it at all.
Wayland is gnome-nigger feet fetish trash made by freedesktop and redhat fucks. It's absolutely retarded, badly designed, placebo trash.
The terminal is badly designed. Escape sequences are trash, never use ncurses, it's bullshit. It's a shitty relic. At least don't use vt shit and use a real shell like 9win.
Mozilla and all the other bullshit are incredibly bloated. Use Charon and customize it to your needs.

9front is perfectly designed, fast, lean, featureful and yet it's incredibly small

>Web Browser
firefox / qutebrowser
>Video/Music player
mpv / mpd+ncmpcpp
>File Manager
thunar / vifm

transcend, just use the linux commands
uninstall thunar and vifm

I use thunar as an automounter and ftp client as well

>OS
Arch
>DE/WM
bspwm (but looking to switch, potentially to a wayland setup)
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
mpv
>File Manager
elvish
>Text editor
kakoune
>Shell
elvish
>Web Browser
firefox
>Terminal
kitty

i wish all popular websites had a cli version

why hasn't anyone made a ncurses version of Jow Forums, it even has an API

cli is disgusting

all websites need to remove javascript.
Html and css is all you need. Php for server side scripts

t. uses arch

You people are weird. Just use Ubuntu and get your work done like a normal person

>websites need to remove javascript
true but with cli you get key bindings removing javascript is never gonna happen with captchas n stuff

>php
this is what's disgusting desu

no u

Terry bloat nigger davis uses ubuntu.
He was very disgusting

Any fairly minimalist image viewers utilizing gdk-pixbuf? Currently using Viewnior.
>inb4 bloat
Tell me how to get im2lib based viewers to show FLIFs. Otherwise I don't care.

Attached: 1526846596524.png (600x600, 313K)

In links2 -g, How to make images; bigger than my screen resolution, fit?

pic related

Attached: Captura de pantalla de 2018-12-31 11-00-47.png (1366x768, 967K)

>OS
debian net
>DE/WM
i3
>Video player
mpv
>Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
imv
>File Manager
---
>Text Editor
nano
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
chromiun
>Terminal
urxvt

hey cruxbro, what's the name of your repo

When I was in high school I was deep into software minimalism because I thought it made me look cool and smart. That was almost two decades ago.

The scene seems different now. Back then our goal was efficiency and less bugs, not necessarily less features, while you guys goal seem to be using crippled software.

t;dr: my goal was efficient software, reduced number of features was a side effect. your goal is less features, efficiency is a side effect

>Disco for discord
the python library? do you not use voice at all? or do you use a user bot that behaves like a normal client?

Linux doesn't have commands you fuckwad
It's actually a discord client written in Go. Yep, i don't use voice. I'd much rather use irc but i can't. Either way it works on plan9.

fuck off aeggy

Shut your keycaps up Viktuor/Henesy/Mischief or whoever you are. You made me open it again because i got a notification

Attached: sneq.jpg (403x719, 47K)

be nice nigger, be nice

It's a small world

mpd should not be considered minimal at all. Using a server-client paradigm for a standard music player is over-engineered bloat.

Eh, it's still basically the same.
>I thought it made me look cool and smart.
That's still the main motivation for most people.

Minimal software has fewer bugs, better and faster performance, lower memory footprint ,better maintainability, higher scalability, Longer software lifetime and
prompt delivery. Your perception of minimal software is wrong.

Minimal software is not crippled and i don't use it for ego-related issues. I use it because i need my sanity. It's just simple and straightforward, no bullshit.

Thought you guys might like these
>getting examples on CLI programs
curl cht.sh/PROGRAM
>getting weather forecast
curl wttr.in/YOURCITY, YOURCOUNTRY

I am setting it up yet, will tell once I finish some ports

>while you guys goal seem to be using crippled software.

There are plan9 and templeos niggers in the thread. They are using autistic minimal crippled nigger shit, not me.

Why you have to be so rude? Some of us like alternatives, that's why I like CRUX

>Minimal software has fewer bugs, better and faster performance, lower memory footprint ,better maintainability, higher scalability, Longer software lifetime and prompt delivery.

I agree with you.

What I noticed is that the goal of software minimalism moved from time-space minimalism ("code/data that isn't tight is bloat") to feature/usecase minimalism ("all features/usecases that i don't need are bloat").

Hows CRUX? I've been wanting to try it out since kmandle was still actively posting.

How do I install inferno on 9front? The instructions on 9front.org aren't working and it fails to build

Is what you make of it, literally. I don't want to repeat what you probably hear but I like how primordial things are, I think is the right word. I dabbled in other distros, source based they were, so I learned what I need to create a system from the ground up. That is what I am doing. I tweak the ports and they compile with only the dependencies I want, I set a script and the computer obeys, there is no preinstalled program that conflicts.

People with ego-related issues install polybar, i3 or bspwm and rice the fuck out of it. 24/7 ricing to look cool and feel a certain way.

I barely rice, all i did was move the dwm bar down.

>curl cht.sh/PROGRAM
this seems utterly useless, why would you use this over man pages if you already know the program name..

When you start learning a program and when you are a noob is good to have this kind of reference

oh my bad, they're cheat sheets, i thought they were just worse man pages, pretty neat actually

Hi aeggy, I'm here to let you know that it's okay to be a dumbass sometimes and ill still love you

OwO thank you so much whoever you are i love you

Does anyone here know how to make the TrackPoint center button work as button 3 in Sam? The center of the trackpad on my X220 works as button 3 in Sam, but not the center button for the TrackPoint.
ArchWiki had a guide to fixing it in xorg.conf, but their fix didn't work. I've tried fiddling with the settings in their fix to no avail. I'm using Devuan.

okay uriel, calm down.

Can someone here recommend me a nice, minimalist shell? The single requirement is command completion feature.

In my opinion, it'd be great if it was more modular and basic install was... well, basic install. Moreover, microkernel design would make 9front the most perfect OS out there. But sadly, it isn't.

Mr obama get down
Use acme
Rc

No no no no. Microkernels were deemed sluggish and they are slow. They depend on the ipc. The kernel in plan9 is so small that it doesn't even matter. It is modular, you have to read tons of manpages tho

I can agree that back then microkernels were slow. But currently? Take a look at, let's say, seL4. They have eliminated that problem entirely, minimizing everything to a point where the single thing kernel does is managing cores. Even memory is managed by a userspace daemon.

Well, it doesn't even have a good web browser yet. I'll try to add some better ipc to Inferno tho

Interesting. I currently think about either writing my own kernel and adapting several Plan 9 tools for it or actually using seL4(I don't like its GPLv2 license tho)

Uhhhhh port Inferno to sel4 and it'll blow up

Uhhhhh I meant userspace stuff, like shell, common UNIX tools etc.
Other stuff has to be rewritten.

Tf scam

dash

simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_(computer_science)

If you guys ever want to implement a package manager please consider using pkgutils from CRUX

No linux, ever. It's shit

I mean the design of the package manager, I don't know if plan9 has anything handling packages yet

It doesn't have to

I know it might not have enough software right now, it doesn't need a package manager in this state, but in the future it can have enough software to need one, at least I hope

Can Plan9 have a darker theme than the eye-bleeding white I see on the screenshots?

Yep, rtfm
It won't

Suppose I want to go crazy and install it on bare metal, does it support thinkpads? If not where is a manual anyway I can use to install it on a vm?

It works best on thinkpads. See 9front FQA.

Ok, any tip on how to change to a darker theme? I really don't want my eyes to bleed

9front.org
It's actually recommended to use it on a thinkpad

Rtfm for rio. Also there's also a universal for every program, it's called .c

Why st versus urxvt?

So, /minimalism/, what amazing things do you do with all those system resources you save by running outdated software on modern hardware?
You... DO run modern hardware, right?
Don't tell me you can't afford anything better than a microcomputer