Amazon Alexa

>Roommate got an Alexa for Christmas

What do I do Jow Forums? I really don't want to be an asshole by asking him to get rid of it, but it does make me a little uncomfortable. Am I being paranoid for nothing? If not, what kinds of options do I have? Should I just accept the fact that the botnet has access to anything I say in my room now?

Attached: Alexa.jpg (930x465, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iot.stackexchange.com/questions/357/is-the-amazon-echo-always-listening-and-sending-data-to-the-cloud/1577#1577
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kill your room mate.

Ask to buy it off him as a gift for someone, and then sell it.

First, get rid of the spying device in your pocket.

I don't understand why anyone would ever want one of those. Just go onto the website and buy stuff. There's no need to purchase a device specifically for buying stuff from Amazon. That's like paying extra to buy stuff. And the government is spying on you with it.

>Alexa, who killed Roomie ?
>user DID user DID

Are you retarded? You lost your privacy the moment you started carrying around a glorified rechargeable microphone and camera combo.

If you use wireshark, you'd notice it does not spy on you at all. It only sends packets back to Amazon after you've used the wake word.

>divide room in 2
>build a great great wall
>make roommate pay for it
>soundproof wall
>if need to leave arises leave while blasting a airhorn so botnet does not know what your footsteps sound like
>alternatively you can shut off electricity for few seconds when leaving

Give it up Jeff. Even AMZ admit, its tendency to pick up 'unrelated' background convo is 'slightly problematic'

It could just collect data and hold it until wake word is recognized, then it sends everything back to amazon

>Having a roommate

Stop being poor

But it doesn't

just deauth the shit out of it till he thinks its broken, then take it out of the trash an sell it to some normie stooge on craigslist.

place a pillow carefully over it.
then ask for their recommended debotter

Data poison it 24/7.

Alexa doesn't/can't listen unless you use the wake word. Just avoid saying the word "alexa", and you should be fine.

If it doesn't listen, how does it hear you say alexa?

>Am I being paranoid for nothing?

Yes.

"alexa, allahu ackbar"

shut it goy

Order horse dildos

Just silently kill it. Find a hole to get water in it and do it.

Take it out for a daytrip, and drop it off by the side of the road somewhere. When little spook is so smart? can find its own fucking way back home
>based Captcha with conspiratorial solutions

Attached: alexa_goes_on_holiday.jpg (1091x880, 245K)

1. build an emp generator
2. garble the circuits inside
3. device is now useless
4. ??????
5. profit

Hiw about just build a tiny soundproof box that the Alexander sits in until your roommate wants to use it, then he can take it out and put it back in when he's done or you dont want it listening? :)

You're gonna have to break it somehow and make it look like an accident

mount a camera in your side of the room that's recording 24/7
when he complains, tell him how you feel when he has a microphone recording 24/7

This.
Accelerationism is the only answer. Continuously install ever more privacy invading devices until your roommate agrees to get rid of all of them.

Alexa, sudo rm -rf /*

ALEXA PLAY DESPACITO

This. Sending deauthorization packets is trivially easy. Just spam the hell out of it and it will never work. Don't do this if its illegal in your area.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-31 at 9.51.38 AM.png (1288x428, 77K)

There's actually two computers in them. One is constantly listening but can only hear 1 of like 4 predefined words and only has enough memory to record a few seconds of sounds at a time. If the first computer hears the wake word it keeps the recording of the last few seconds and then awakens the second computer and hands the recorded phrases over to further parse for key words. The second computer needs a working internet connection to function.

get compressed air in a can and spray the microphones. this will destroy the 'branes

Yet

>"Alexa order dragon dildos and send them to my dad as a gift. Add note: I wish incest were legal."

>he thinks amazon that's all about shaving off every cent for margin will go out of their way and build 2 computers into the box they sell for $50
yeah user, alexa isn't listening because amazon doesn't like profits, lol

>Inshallah, user

>I'm an overly paranoid autist that's too much of a chicken shit to approach him about his belonging so please tell me how I can sabotage it GEE
neat.

Attached: 1382807897604.png (459x398, 380K)

Take it apart and solder off the microphone

>imagine being so naive that you think that the AWS contract with the CIA doesn't give them access to anything related to Alexa or any other service ran through AWS

Attached: yousickenme.jpg (640x480, 36K)

they record and can access it later if they want to

Attached: glowint.jpg (480x466, 33K)

OP, try talking to your roommate explaining your concerns. Consider moving first chance you get, which may not be soon, if that doesn't help.

You're assuming OP actually has a mobile phone and you're also assuming OP connects it to WIFI or mobile if OP has one. And even if that's the case: one device doing some spying is not a good reason to get another which does even more spying.

"stop being poor" is not really advice. If you're 40 then sure, but why would you have a roommate at that age? OP is probably a student at a collage or university. It's quite common and it makes sense to have a roommate at that stage, I did. Not that owning your own home helps that much, there's another kind of roommate called wife which also tends to buy such devices.

My mom got one so she can make calls without having to pull out her phone or push any buttons. She can be sitting on the couch watching TV and just say "alexa call user" and it starts the call. She also likes it as a music player (prime music) and finally got rid of her cassette and CD playing radio that took up a bunch of counter space.

Everyone should have a roomate until they buy a house. And at that point if you can get someone to rent a room from you all the better.

I think the primary reason people use these is to control "smart" devices, and also listen to music and do other stuff their phone could do but hands free.

kys

Attached: thisbomb.jpg (752x502, 44K)

>She can be sitting on the couch watching TV and just say "alexa call user" and it starts the call.
what a time to be alive. And at wat point does she think, dear Alexa, once woke, STOPS fucking recording all this shit, or, don't Mom GAF ? Not that the person on the other end of the phone might, which is back to OPs point, this not entirely unfounded. There must be increasingly few girls called Alexa/Alexis/Alicetera whose entire sex life goes unrecorded nowadays.

tell him to return it and buy a Mycroft device if he wants a digital assistant

these devices will make americans even fatter

Attached: 1538777817198.jpg (500x1386, 143K)

Why do you hate money?

really makes you think

Attached: 1516126960893.png (321x322, 39K)

user has explained that. Theres really 2 (two) of them you see, and when one hears a 'magic' word, it runs over and nudges Alexa, who has been lightly slumbering and not listening to everything at all, no, Sir. So satisfactorily claiming Alexa is always woke and listening to everything, JUST NOPE. The one that actually does listen all the time, thats the other one, one who doesnt appear to have a name, but its definitely not Alexa. So Alexas like totally trustworthy, and besides if you did have something to hide, you could always just discuss it in the bathroom in whispers like normal ppl do

I believe that there's two of them and that only one is ever really up at all times under normal conditions but it makes you wonder if there's a secret command that Amazon can beam down that forces the second computer to stay on and recording at all times.

Still the risk is not really any different from the smartphone you probably have on you at every hour of the day.

They have multiple partitions of Alexa,it boots into the one that listens for the wake word, if it's there it boots into the second partition
I doubt they would use 2 computers which would seem pointless

This is what i use mine for.

I think this comment thread is where I heard that from.

iot.stackexchange.com/questions/357/is-the-amazon-echo-always-listening-and-sending-data-to-the-cloud/1577#1577

The explanation makes sense to me at least

When I was a freshman in college, my roommate used to play music from his phone while i was trying to study. I told him to turn down the volume, which worked, but he would turn it back up the next day. I ended up staying in the library all day, only going to my room to sleep. When I returned from Christmas vacation, I found a giant speaker on his table. After a day or two of even louder and more obnoxious niggerbeats, I took a pair of scissors and made a tiny cut on the cable. It didn't bother me after that. If I was to do it again, I'd use boxcutters to make a tiny slit in the cable so it would be more inconspicuous.

If you can't reason with your roommate, cut the cable.

property destruction seems a little extreme, user

>Alexa, who killed roomie?
>”I don’t know, I didn’t see a thing”
You keep Alexa and befriend her. 5 years later when it finally craps out you have a good cry remembering all the memories and how she covered for you when the police came.

Feed it misinformation. Try to get your rootmate on America's Most Wanted.

Attached: BeutlRAIEAAs64h.jpg (512x320, 21K)

Grow some balls and tell him while it's okay to have in his room, it absolutely is not okay to have it in public spots you share.

Or be real Jow Forums and just set the firewall to deny it all traffic.

Play audio from Terry rants on loop when no ones around

be an asshole by asking him to get rid of it,

underrated

Can you send deauths to multiple devices at the same time

There's a secret command for Samsung smart TVs that makes them appear to be off, but actually listening with a microphone. It was in the Vault7 release. A joint venture between British and American secret services I believe. If they're going to bug televisions they are deffo going to bug these smart assistants gadgets.

Set up a pihole and blacklist every query from the ip of alexa.
There, nothing in or out.

Attached: doggo_shift.jpg (960x956, 77K)

>my sister gave me 2 of these fucking things
why does she hate me so

this is illegal pretty much everywhere unless you own the device (which in this case you don't)

from what I heard about the Samsung TV exploit in Vault 7, which was also from 2013-2014 mind you, was that it required physical access and the program had to be installed via USB
now that its 5 years later, I'm pretty sure they no longer require physical access as long as that thing is on a network
also, if you didn't think the CIA had backdoor access from day one with these Alexa devices, you're a mong
why else would they be pushing those devices so hard now and offering them for as cheap as they have been?
>inb4 progressing IoT, marketing tool to make it easier to purchase, and other such drivel

It could just send it once a year.
It's ridiculously trivial to hide it. No one monitors their traffic for years.

Ehh, I wouldn't tolerate it desu. Ask him to get rid of it.

>trusting fembots. ever.

>any age
>doesn't have a roommate
look at this mr moneybags

While your roommate is home and in earshot:
>Alexa, do little girls really have tighter pussies?
>Alexa, how how do terrorists build pipebombs?
>Alexa, how many jews REALLY died in the hollocaust?
>Alexa, when does the race war start?
>Alexa, whose account is this?

Your friend will probably go livid at the thought of being added to a government watchlist and sell it right away.

This seems like a very workable solution

This seems like a very unworkable solution

I actually heard that song on the radio the other day but I still don't understand why it's a meme.

The voices are recorded so it'll be pretty obvious it isn't his roommate talking.

>Alexa, how can a room without sealed doors be used as a gas chamber?

Attached: 1537087699087.jpg (882x731, 85K)

You're kidding, right? The song was played on all radio stations in existence every 15 minutes last summer. Worst part was they seemed to take Bieber's version as a different song than just Fonsi and DY...

Yeah, well maybe it just isn't played that often on radio in Japan.

>Alexa, what is the value of Avogadro's number squared?
That'll keep it busy for an hour.

If it can't answer immediately it just plugs it into Google, and if that doesn't give an answer it'll say it doesn't know.

hack it and teach him a lesson

Attached: 1545718410123.jpg (6070x9055, 3.54M)

>1. build an emp generator
>2. garble the circuits inside
>3. device is now useless
>4. ??????
>5. profit
Maybe a strong magnet is more feasible.

>might as well just buy a Google Home

Pretty much, but still better than the Homepod.

You snore kinda loud OP you should get that checked out.

>might as well
okay you've convinced me

Attached: Untitled.jpg (600x320, 55K)

>don't Mom GAF

Generally speaking, women don't have concerns about giving away information about every aspect of their life to faceless corporations. They jut do not understand the concept of privacy.