/pcbg/ - PC Building General

!!CES Jan. 8 - 11. Strong advisory to buy after CES announcements!!

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds; click on blue titles to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on some MSI mobos)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k/8700k - Extreme setup with RTX 2080/Ti
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM:
>Always choose at least a two stick kit; 2x 8GB is recommended
>CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000CL15 or 3200CL16 is ideal
>AMD B and X chipsets and Intel Z chipets support XMP

Graphics cards based on current pricing:
>Used cards can be had for a steal; inquire about warranty
1080p
>GTX 1060, RX 570, RX 580 are standard choices
>GTX 1070/Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and Vega 56 are standard choices
>RTX 2080 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2080 is the standard choice
>RTX 2080Ti is better for 4K but expensive

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 256GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor
>Bottleneck checkers are worthless
>rentry.co/pcbg-more

Previous:

Attached: 63.jpg (1000x991, 416K)

Other urls found in this thread:

i.postimg.cc/MGR9Q3ZW/dell-precision-t1650-workstation.jpg
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/yYKqJ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/LNKQnH
ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgtx 1050ti.TRS0&_nkw=gtx 1050ti&_sacat=0
pcpartpicker.com/list/QmyrCb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

First for AMD
fuck jewtel

gess who hired amd pajeet?

based

First for Intel.
Fuck POOMD

is rx570 enough for 144hz?

Have an i5 6600k. Would I notice benefits in gaming if I slotted an i7 7700k in? Seems I'm getting stutter and shit. Am I a threadlet?

Not in modern games. Probably not even fortnite

In older games but not anything recent.
It doesnt really matter as long as you have freesync though

Probably, could also be GPU problems, a shitty game or software related issues though.
Like one time i was getting terrible stutter but i knew somehting was wrong because I was playing that game fine before and after a lot of headache i found that my GPU was running at PCIe x1 speeds so I just reseated it like an n64 cartridge and it was working fine again

i.postimg.cc/MGR9Q3ZW/dell-precision-t1650-workstation.jpg
Would this need a blower gpu or would an open air be fine?
Mine has the hard drive cage removed and 2 fans in the front.

I know the OP says "plan your build around your monitor" but I've got a build in mind, and still fuck all idea what monitors I'm gonna be using, other than that I'll be needing two. Can anyone give me any recommendations for 1080p60, 1080p144, or 1440p60 monitors, preferably within a $200 USD range? Gonna be using a 1070 Ti.

It'd be probably fine with a blower card but i wouldn't trust it above ~180 watts so nothing more than a non OC 1080 or 580

I meant to say it'd proabbly be fine with open air

Why not above 180 watts?

i can't get stable 60 in ffxii.

I can play doom at ultra which hovers ~90 fps in some areas, and a solid 144 in others. No wild fluctuations, just steady frames limited by the environment at any given time. But in Battlefield it's constantly fluctuating between over 100 fps, down to 40 or 50, with noticeable stutters. Maybe I'll be a retard and get the 7700k. Before I decide anything I'll see what AMD shows at ces I suppose

Because power consumption=heat and experience from my own 2 in one out computer.
I had a 770 which is around 200 watts and it would get noticeably loud while gaming.
I guess i didn't think of that angle but it depends on how sensitive you are to noise too.
For perspective that computer of mine sounded like a first gen ps4 while gaming, and I consider that too loud.

>gook games on pc

Attached: 1452626813892.png (449x401, 222K)

or really anything even somewhat close to AAA.

Based OP

The only good part of this general is the inflammatory images, now.

You need Vega or a 1070 ti at least to get 144hz on anything above 1080p.

Yeah noise isn't much of a problem to me after owning a ps3 slim. A Gtx 1060 or rx580 is within my budget so I guess either of those would be fine?

thanks

Yeah that'll be fine.

Cool, thanks.

Anyone got or has experience with the Cooler Master MB530P and its AirBalance 120mm fans?
I really like its looks but I worry about the glass-mesh hybrid front panel hampering airflow, and I also heard the fans make a quiet high pitched noise.
Latter won’t be too much of a problem as it could either be deafened by other components or I could outright replace them(albeit it would be kinda wasteful), but I really want a build that runs very quiet when idle

Attached: 26FF492D-8274-4B05-9DB8-8ACD573FA41E.png (1000x715, 750K)

open air is always superior

>tell friend to wait a few days before upgrading
>has an FX8350 with 24GB RAM that he's had no issues with for years
>buys a Ryzen 2200G with 16GB 2133MHz CL16 RAM
>buys shit B450 motherboard with weak VRM and no active cooling
>says he wants to upgrade to a 6 core later on down the line
God damn I'm so mad, he's fucking with my autism so bad

did I do good Jow Forums

Attached: amdmustardrace.png (399x396, 26K)

Lol you think thats bad?
>friend asks me to make him a build
>then he says fuck that and sends me a few prebuilts
>i tell him whatever if you really want a prebuilt get this one (it had 8400 and gtx 1060 6gb)
>he bought one with 7400 and gtx 1060 3gb for the same price
Like whatever dude im not helping people anymore.

what cooler

just the stock one right now, I have an h100i coming wednesday

based and REDPILLED

Attached: 1543970987936.png (1920x600, 357K)

How do I determine how good the VRM of a motherboard is?

For moderate gaming, would a 500 GB 860 EVO suffice?

I think 1 TB would be too much, and I know that I'm only going to be playing a few games

SSD is mostly just for having your OS on
Games can be stored fine on a HDD

Yeah an 860 would be fine, but try and get a 900 series if you have NVME support on your Mobo, I only have my most played on mine an load times are fast as fuck

>who needs 50% faster load times
>who needs lower latency in general
no, ssds are for vidya and os, software and storage is fine on an hdd.

>software on HDD
nigger what

of course from a gaming point of view. i can't name 10 programs i regularly use that would require somewhat fast load speeds.

>pays double the price for 10 seconds faster loading times
Wew

This
What’s the point of faster loading time in most games when there’s a count down at start to aid poorfags with shit PCs either way?

VS Studio, All Office Programs, CAD/3D Modeling software, Adobe Suite
essentially anything that is used for productivity

>250GB SSD for $70 + 2TB SSHD for $90
best combo prove me wrong

What are your thoughts on keeping the OS and games on the same drive versus different drives

it adds up and you get better performance in general.

You don't need more than 120gb ssd

As I posted before only my most played games stay on my SSD, large games and ones that are in my "library" get the HDD treatment, I suppose you could make the argument that you would want them on seperate drives so your OS feels faster, but at current SSD speeds that point is moot

I like having over provisioning room, plus some large software can eat a big chunk out of your SSD
but yeah for laptops, and people that don't need Adobe/CAD/VS Studio 120GB will more than suffice
(VS Studio can only be installed on C drive, thanks Microshit)

What's your 2TB SSD?

Solid State Hybrid Disk, pretty much a meme but they can take a decent amount of abuse and they perform marginally better than a regular HDD with the same RPM

Is it possible to upgrade Ryzen CPU without changing the motherboard? Would Gen 3 work on the current Motherboards?

Attached: ryzen_content3.png (350x220, 26K)

Yes as long as the BIOS has been updated to support it

I have 300+ steam games and many other origin/desura/uplay games installed on 2 4TB HDDs. Try putting that on an ssd.

Technically yes, but your performance will be gimped unless you have the new released motherboards for that gen

That's what we've been told but there's a small chance it prove too restrictive and get axed or a kind of "here's some ryzen 3s but you'll need a new board for these other ones" might happen.

how to install more case fan when I have no more power connector available on my motherboard ?

So the best thing is to wait for CES befoe buying anything?

(This post was sponsored by Intel® Corporation)

I built a PC recently and I'm using windows 10 (sadly), within a few weeks of usage I've noticed hiccups in games and in general with all programs and folders.
I would be just using the pc normally and it would just give me "This program is not responding" for a few seconds, the occurrences are spaced out but it's still frustrating.
What could be the issue? I don't know what information to provide along with this inquiry, I'm not even sure this is the thread to ask.

The high end boards have overkill vrms which are said to be ready for higher core counts.

Somehow my motherboard drops to 11.6v on the 12v rail under load on average while another cheaper, shittier motherboard I tried stays at around 11.78v under the same circumstances. I know my PSU must be crappy but is there something I'm missing here? The motherboard with this drop is a Gigabyte z97 hd3.

I updated that picture for you OP.

Attached: 86754567.jpg (1366x991, 381K)

so, I built my new computer and I inserted my old HDD. Now, my old user account does not show up on it. What am I doing wrong?

Attached: 4A0Rl6h.png (1280x720, 398K)

>hoarding
Well, yes, if you collect stupid shit that you never use, SSD is pointless.

Depends on what cpu you are thinking of running it with so you don't waste money. Gamers Nexus has some good detailed reviews of motherboards and goes into great detail regarding the VRMs

Depending on the game you'll want to load in as quickly as possible so that you get first dibs on a specific class that is capped

You use a fan splitter cable. I trust you know whether to buy a 3-pin splitter or 4-pin splitter, it depends on how many pins your fans and power connector on the motherboard have.

A word of warning: there's a limit to how much power you can draw from one fan header. You can usually find that info in your motherboard manual, and them find out how much power each fan you want to connect to it draws. Voltage*Current = Power, V*A = W.

First time builder here. If I wanted to go for a mid tower case, should I get the meshify c or enthoo pro m? What other alternatives can I buy for under 100?

Attached: 1534968252995.png (512x512, 39K)

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/yYKqJ8

>t.Intel pajeet

Is a 500w psu enough for a rx 580?

Just buy Intel :^)

Yes 500w can run any flagship card.

Different user here, what about 450w?

but you would want to stay below 60% for longevity

It could do it, but 500w or above is recommended on my 250w HD7970 just for stability reasons.

a branded 80+ efficiency can, yes.

The efficiency won't help it, the crappiest 450w psu will still deliver 450w, but it will draw more from the wall than my 80+ bronze under the same load.

You know, there are $10 450W PSUs, and there are pajeets who unionically buy those.
I remember this build on yotube and this guy bought a VS350 for his 1060 build, thats just beyond me.

B-but what about my gaymes?

not that user but, aren't generic PSU doesn't actually give that much watts? (like a 450w doesn't actually give all that 450w).

I highly doubt a crappy one can deliver 450W, they have peak power not continuous.

>VS350 for his 1060 build
Holy fuck, i'm surprised a Corsair VS would even have a GPU power connector, I'd stick to low end cards with that, and I really wouldn't run more than one high end card on my CX750, which has the connectors for dual high end cards.

Oh you'll get the 450w, it may fail or ripple a bunch, it it will deliver it.

Also this, I wouldn't just my cheap 750w with a continuous max load, but it would make a very nice 650w psu at all time with a high temp in the room.

Attached: 20181208_223611.jpg (1932x2576, 693K)

>just
trust*

This good enough for an absolute poorfag build, won't really be playing much nu games anyways.

pcpartpicker.com/list/LNKQnH

user pls

Crucial MX500 1TB SSD for $135. Worth?

Attached: Capture.jpg (1670x516, 109K)

9700k is better if it's only $20-50 difference.

OR, is it better to get 2 500GB's for $133?

Attached: lel.jpg (399x329, 23K)

2 500GBs in raid0 is technically the best setup, until one drive dies.

This is a question btw.

delid dis sir and buy intel ples

I am looking for a GPU to replace my R7 260x by a GTX 1050ti (emulation only) and Iǜe found this

ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR10.TRC0.A0.H0.Xgtx 1050ti.TRS0&_nkw=gtx 1050ti&_sacat=0

Prices are so low, are they fakes? Looking for a legit 4GB, many have missing PCIE connections

Can you read what's next to the price of several parts? Can you read what region is selected in the top right corner?

144hz and 1070ti is a GPU bottleneck, 75hz or 120hz would probably be better

Fuck, I just tested this shit out and after some 20 minutes of doing my own thing vcore decides to drop from 1.0v to around 0.13 and get slowly back up. What the heck.

>7400 and gtx 1060 3gb
Yikes

pcpartpicker.com/list/QmyrCb
Do this instead
1030 is awful value