Haskell

Hey Jow Forums I'm new here.
I wanted to ask whether it's worth learning Haskell and what it's actually used for. I'm a maths major so it seems like a natural way to program to me. At the same time I never see Haskell being recommended for real world usage and see more people fapping over how cool it is. It definitely seems a lot easier than using C from what little I could tell, but I am still really really bad at programming.

tl;dr: what is haskell good for in the real world, is it worth learning?

Attached: 63ed387e6b9834775327cf1173eed54f887c92052e6691bf0ddca1812085166f.jpg (255x210, 10K)

It’s based

Sounds like fapping over it to me, I can understand that, but is there any real reason to use that other than a throbbing erection?

Haskell is not as popular in the industry when compared to Java, Python, and others. That being said, there are some companies and open source projects that use Haskell.

I primarily see Haskell being used to write compilers. If you go to GitHub and look up languages like Idris, Kitten, and Elm you'll notice they all use it extensively.

I'm also pretty sure I've heard of a few financial firms using Haskell to write various things. Facebook uses Haskell as part of it's spam prevention tools as well.

its breddy gud if you come from maths

A lot of people are used to imperative programming, so Haskell seems alien to them.
It's a really simple language. Like all simple languages, a few things are complicated to express. It doesn't really have much to do with math.

Nobody fucking uses Haskell. Functional languages are all a big fat meme.

learn r or python if you're a mathematician. r for statistics and python for whatever. i guess you could use haskell for big data or some shit but scala seems to be industry standard for that.

As far as what it's useful for, Haskell provides quite a few features that are very well suited to particular problems.

Due to its type system and heavy focus on purity, Haskell programs tend to be very accurate. Other features such as pattern matching and laziness can be helpful for a certain class of problems as well.

If you're building a system that needs decent performance but is also a crucial system that needs the minimum amount of bugs possible, Haskell would probably be a good fit

I always heard python is a terrible language that's only used because any idiot can learn it.

This sounds like it has only got highly specialized uses and I'm (at this point) completely removed from those.
I guess I will look into Haskell again if I ever need to or I'm bored. I'm kinda disappointed since I think this guy is probably right

>only used because any idiot can learn it
it's used because you don't have to worry about anything but the implementation of an algorithm or whatever. it's great for people who are not programmers, yes. i thought you weren't a programmer?

Not OP. I never programmed before. Should i start with Haskell if i like doing math

I'm not a programmer but I know enough to make algorithms in Java and C++ at least. Also, there is matlab for those kinds of things where you don't want to worry about anything and it's pretty fast.

No

some mathematicians have done so but it probably isn't recommended

Python has its flaws but it gets the job done. Google and NASA both use it.

Functional programming languages are a meme, the only use for them is for boomer uni professor's circlejerking.

>I'm not a programmer but I know enough to make algorithms in Java and C++ at least.
I have news for you: you ARE a programmer, even if it isn't your profession.

"FP is a meme" is a meme, the only use for it is for people to avoid learning

Writing hello world or mergesort in Java does not make you a programmer in any meaningful sense. It's like calling yourself a Chemist because you can balance chemical equations.

>I always heard python is a terrible language that's only used because any idiot can learn it.
It's terrible because of its design. It's "easy" but only superficially, it's actually full of lots of corner cases and inconsistencies that the designers hope you won't ever encounter if you follow the "Python way".

I'd look into Haskell for fun. Look in Standard ML as well since it is used to make some theorem provers. It's similar to Haskell, but much more simple and uses eager instead of lazy evaluation by default. Since you're a math person, you might like Prolog too if you enjoy logic.

Nowadays Microsoft has a fully supported version of ML called F#.