Why do open source linux drivers are of higher quality than windows ones?

why do open source linux drivers are of higher quality than windows ones?

Attached: 152125164496.jpg (399x400, 20K)

>why do open source linux drivers are of lower quality than windows ones?
FTFY

Because they aren't, and sometimes are just windows drivers with a wrapper on top. Why are all frogposters mildly retarded?

The quality itself is unironically higher. The problem is, updates are not so often.

wacom drivers are a lot of better on linux than windows.

realktek drivers.

at least those are the ones I personaly tested.

Oh wow, a pool of 2 drivers total, you sure showed them windowsfags.

I never had to install drivers on linux, and all the hardware worked fine while I always had to install drivers on windows.

Even mid 90 or mid 00 harware has compatibility issues on W10.

XP software and older sometimes doesn't even run on W10.

now tell us about multi-monitor support, docking stations support, nvidia oprimus, thunderbolt, media keys, laptop specific LEDs and clarmshell
You can do a simple test, you dock a laptop on a docking station with 2 external monitors, turn on the external monitors, turn off the laptop's display and undock the laptop..... the laptop's dead, you should force restart form button.
Or have a laptop undocked and close the lid, 60% it will fail to enter in stand by and panic

Lolno

that's the fault of companies not releasing drivers for linux.

but is funny that you list all that fancy hardware when always in a couple years, linux end up with open source working drivers.

Compare legacy hardware and linux has better driver support than windows 10.

Drivers is a terrible idea.

short run windows drivers are always better, they code it ans werks, but then months pass and devs no longer care the development stagnates and the focus shifts to the newer product. open source doesn't work like that projects get maintained decades after the actual product died.

This
We need a uniformed API for each resources, and let manufacturers play it out with the firmware

>Compare legacy hardware and linux has better driver support than windows 10.
who tf cares if the latest linux has support for a pentium 3? It's too slow to run anything

Because they're written by people who care, not pajeets in a cubicle farm.

>now tell us about multi-monitor support
Works great.
>docking stations support
Works on my Dell and Lenovo laptops.
>nvidia oprimus
Don't care because I'm not dumb enough to buy nvidia trash.
>thunderbolt
Works on my machines.
>media keys
Yep, these work.
>laptop specific LEDs
Handled by the BIOS/EFI.
>and clarmshell
The fuck is that?

More abstraction means shit performance. Inaccessible firmware means no updates, which means performance problems and security flaws that go unpatched. Be careful what you ask for.

Attached: LinuxMasterRace.png (1200x796, 596K)

mid 00 PC can still be used to browse youtube and do office shit on lubuntu.

Businesses who don't want to buy new hardware every two years.

how does linux manage to have worse battery life than windows despite windows being a bloated piece of shit that is constantly scanning your pc and uploading everything to the nsa?

Attached: pepe.jpg (606x341, 28K)

>and clarmshell
>The fuck is that?

I think user is referring to suspend/resume on lid close/open

Well that works on all my laptops as well.

>More abstraction means shit performance.
How would that add a layer of abstraction?
It's basically what we do now(manufacturers tell us the names of the methods etc), just the other way around
> Inaccessible firmware means no updates, which means performance problems and security flaws that go unpatched
Oh no, the travesty. They would have to write good code on the first release, instead of patching it endlessly (if they even patch it)

>Because they aren't, and sometimes are just windows drivers with a wrapper on top.
prove it

>be me
>install counter-strike on my windows xp
>it lagspikes every 5 minutes
>check task manager
>only hl.exe using more than 2% of the cpu
>install process explorer
>notice "interrupts" using 30% of the cpu before
>google
>turns out it's some driver causing high latency
>install some program (forgot it's name) to verify that this is the case.
>it is but it won't tell which driver is bitching
>google again
>top search result only works with windows vista and higher
>google some more
>apperantly there is some program released by microsoft in 2006 that does the trick
>404
>archive.org
>finally.jpg
>install it
>program has gui but dumps the results in weird file format
>copy-paste some obscure cmd command
>results.txt
>realtek's retarded soundcard drivers turn out to be the cause
>mfw i have latest drivers
>download Lubuntu
>install counter-strike
>no issues
FTFY

How do you get AMDGPU open source drivers to work if you install ubuntu, type command apt search amdgpu (show as installed) but whenever you boot you get a black screen unless you include nomodeset in the grup parameters (disabling the drivers forcing you to rely on integrated graphics), everything on the screen moving or loading at 1fps?
I tried installing the proprietary drivers after troubleshooting but it still doesn't work even though the proprietary drivers are listed as installed I still have to rely on integrated graphics or I'll get a black screen upon not using nomodeset in the grup

>How would that add a layer of abstraction?
What you're suggesting would be some sort of common interface on top of a video card or hard drive's firmware that plugs into any OS that can understand it, so that the drivers all self-contained within the devices themselves. It's only a matter of time before this layer and its protocols become more and more bloated and messy in an attempt to support more features. Think of Xorg as an example of what I'm talking about.

Unless you're suggesting something like OpenFirmware where the BIOS handles device drivers then maybe, but that only works for built in devices or ones that are known to be compatible, and so you still end up installing OS level drivers for most other stuff.

>They would have to write good code on the first release, instead of patching it endlessly
But you and I know damn well that Silicon Valley is filled with incompetent numales and koders who can't program their way out of a wet paper bag.

the core functionality works but there are small things which never work and you know it
multi monitor works, but the monitors connected to a docking station are not deactivated when you undock. The monitors arrangement is never remembered. You move a monitor a little higher and all the icons from desktop are fucked up.
the touchpad works, even with (bad and unfiltered) multi-touch support, even the button to disable the TP works sometime but the led which should light when the touchpad is deactivated ? never
The brightness control "works" but it's either too dim or too bright, it has less steps
The linux is suffering

My laptop literally cannot work with windows 10 and it didn't work too well with it's original windows 7 either

GPU should be the exception.
Network, storage etc, stuff that develops in decades if any are what I meant
That way the 15M lines of driver code in the linux kernel could be only a half or less million

Need newer kernel probably.
Have same problem with CentOS, fedora with 4.19 works ok.
Everything seems to be rendering fine though on CPU render. I ran prime95 and still was able to webbrowse reasonably while having all cores at 95-100 all the time.

Are you using 18.04? Use the newest one or use the hwe kernel. Sadly AMDGPU and xorg still needs some work. It works better in newer versions

>why does $absolute_fucking_lie?
I don't know, you tell me. How did you come to this conclusion?

windows shit tier performance.

the winjeets ITT lmao

>open source linux drivers are of lower quality than windows ones
AMD GPUs would like to have a word with you.

I tried to get into Linux three times (2004, 2011, 2015) and the three times, drivers were one of the main reasons I went back to Windows. I hated having to hunt down drivers on Linux that were either hacked together by the community or were not the drivers for my hardware but for the closest thing I could find or whatever, only to find that it didn't work because it had these dependencies that weren't in the repos, etc, it was fucking shit. On Windows everything has always just werked for me.

use a non shit tier distro like lubuntu, retard.

because you can do more in less time

pasta?

>install a non shit tier distro like lubuntu
>connect one of my wifi dongle: Realtek RTL8723BU: nothing
>connect a different wifi dongle: Realtek RTL8812AU: still nothing
fuck this shit, i'll buy a MacBook

AMD ones are pretty good, NVIDIA open source drivers are dogshit

AMDGPU just works on my machine. Maybe Ubuntu is just being shit.

How old is 18.04? I've used amd for well over a year without any issues. It's way better than using shitty nvidia crap.

>why do open source linux drivers are of higher quality than windows ones?
{citation needed}