/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Requesting purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

>Jow Forums headphone wiki
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

>Previous thread

Attached: 62840887_p0.jpg (1496x2000, 549K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441
amazon.com/beyerdynamic-CUSTOM-Interactive-Gaming-Headset/dp/B06WVHCLTP/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546294674&sr=1-3&keywords=custom game
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

i use my stax to listen exclusively to Peter Sotos - Buyer’s Market

Glorious beyer.

Attached: 1990.jpg (802x668, 159K)

$4000 SR-009 was rated lower in blind tests than a $200 K701
aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17441

LOL, Stax headphones are literally audiophool garbage

Attached: 15456591310290.png (251x242, 114K)

>he’s back

I don't even own stax but I still find you profoundly obnoxious. Of all the things to crusade against you found this. Like, go nag plebbitors who love airpods or something. Go, shooh.

What are the super comfy Beyer pads made of?

It’s cuz he can’t afford em.

This is getting old at an alarming rate

I know what they were made of in the early fourties, but these days it's something synthetic

jew ashes

jewish skin like the jewish skin lampshade memes

>What are the super comfy Beyer pads made of?
FEET

The actual material doesn't matter as much as the way it is used there. Whether it's synthetic or cotton, it's the way it's knitted that makes it softer or harsher. Same for the filling. I find the DT880 premium to be the most comfortable pillow like beyers, more than say the 1990, but it's not because they use better materials, the earpads use softer foams and the outer velour is also softer and ultimately will flatten and break down faster than the ones on the 1990.

The world of fabric is a rabbit hole of its own if you get an autistic interest in it. Remember, classic Jeans are 100% cotton. But they don't really feel like your typical cotton tshirt, do they? It's all about how the fabric is knitted down.

Ed Gein itt

Dear beyer, why doesn't DT880 have a detachable cable

It's annoying, but if you ever need to replace it, they are one of the easier headphones to disassemble and solder on. I believe they just don't care about releasing a new production of their cheaper headphones and focus on milking those of us who buy the more expensive stuff, having detachable cables on the 1990 is among the many appeals.

Okay well I used to wear some gaymer headsets, the Corsair Vengeance and the Astro A50 and they're made of some fake velour material. Im trying to replicate either but everything is different apparently and I dont wanna buy new pads that I wont use so I need to find someone who has the velour, suede and/or hybrid HM5 pads and tell me of their comfiness. Forgive me for my sins though.

I got to demo the shure 1540 & 1840 and they're really good, they are the true neutrality kings especially the 1840 it's what people want the hd600 to be. I was really surprised they were very pleasant to listen to, i never was fatigued and everything you want to hear is there. I don't understand why people say they are boring these headphones are neutrality at it's finest. And they are very well built too unlike the shure 840. Is anyone else here that has tried them or perhaps even owns them?

>detachable cables on the 1990
Yeah it's just also over twice the price. Really hard to justify for me.
I realize they also sound differently, but still. Shopping open backs is hard.
I have been bouncing weirdly between DT880 and "everythign else" for weeks.

Well, all beyers open headphone pads are "velour" but velour is a mostly marketing term that entails a great variety of weaving fabric. Like I said, I find the DT880 Premium to be actually far more comfortable and nice feeling than the DT1990 which cost a lot more (although, the 1990 do feel more premium built, but not really more comfortable). Both use earpads that are called "velour". But the DT880 is a lot softer. True earpillow. Nice stuff. They degrade faster though. Meaning if you want to keep the sound signature you need to replace them more often.

What's your previous headphone experience? Is it, like, your first time buying something nicer? I'll have a better understanding to give advice.

PortaBro
m50x
DT990
Fidelio X2
DT770
I tried AD900 on but I hated the non-headband thing. I tried K712 and I liked them but they didn't crush my skull enough. The lack of experience with Sennheiser has no particular reason.

Honestly I think when the time comes and the cable breaks it's time to learn how to solder. *sips on monster*

Which did you like the most and why?

Not him, but i'm going to do an aux mod in a few weeks, or at least attempt to.

I've done some soldering in the past when i was growing weed and needed led lights.

As long as you don't accidentally touch the driver with the hot solder iron, you're fine. Just don't have shakin' hands.

It looks like you might actually enjoy the DT880, it's closer to neutral than most of the ones you listed but still V-shapped as most beyers, comfort is very nice too, vut you have tried the DT990 so you already know that. Do try the pro version instead of the premium if you want more clamp force.

>Not him, but i'm going to do an aux mod in a few weeks, or at least attempt to.
I would only do it when the cables are just broke. I never soldered and i don't really trust myself lol.

If you were offered LCDX for LCD2C would you take it?

>I would only do it when the cables are just broke

Exactly why i'm going to attempt it. Sound sometimes falls away in one speaker because the cable has a knack.

Debating on buying a Logitech G533 Wireless for $70 or the Sennheiser GSP 300 Series for $80.

Which should I get?

I WISH MY PENIS WERE THE STRAWBERRY IN THIS PIC!

I'd listen to them both, compare them, and make an informed choice based on my personal preferences.
And then shove an entire stax setup up my asshole

Retard warning. I dont really care about my headphones having deep bass or 'tinny highs'. I guess you guys just call that neutral. What kind of pads/material provide that and which fuck it up? Is it an issue if you get huge pads that keep your ears farther from the drivers? I dont really care about noise isolation at all but the headset im going to get is closed back if that matters. I just don't want things to sound muffled and quiet and have to turn it way up just to hear it normally.

Pads don’t make headphones neutral.

Neither.

beats

But which can mess it up the least then?

beyer jewskin pads have the highest fidelity known to man

I'm sure you can find an audiophile who will tell you that his $1000 earpads made from compressed kangaroo fetuses let him hear the sound of Billy Joel's sweaty balls rubbing together at a live performance.

The stock pads. The fact is, third party replacements change the sound signature in a way that wasn't intended and most third parties like brainwavz don't really engineer for sound quality on a specific headphone model.
Use the stock earpads. Replace with stock earpads. Find the headphone uncomfortable? Buy a headphone that was designed for comfort.
Earpads and the various inside padding, driver tweaks etc are all designed in consort, synergize with each other, changing any parameter changes the sound signature.

>tfw my headphones allow me to hear the singer flipping pages to read lyrics in studio recordings
>they also allow me to hear unprecedented amounts of fucking clipping due to shitty mastering
The ultimate double edged blade.

Dont listen to this guy. Almost everyone replaces their stock pads except maybe beyerchads. Just try out what fits best.

The LCD mx4 (new lighter lcd4) is fucking half off.
I hate audeze like most of this thread but I certainly am tempted. Would look real nice next to a HD800 and L300LE

lol no. You don't replace earpads on a senny either unless you're a massive cunthole. You'd have to be a special kid to find a new to replace them anyway.

You got the two end-game headphones and still want to get more??

Is this going to happen to all of us?

What other headphones can I jam the 770 pads on? I wanna frankenstein something.

lmao I already have stax I'm just trying to sell shit and people keep offering trades

Any Audeze will sound significantly better than Stax memephones, but maybe not as good as HD800.

But even L300 sound better than HD800

>Any Audeze will sound significantly better
Audeze are the meme, you fucktard. There's a reason only dumb boutique shops do planar magnetic.

I listened to that exact shit 2 days ago with dt770

How much is a HE500 worth?

DT770
I needed the isolation, but I didn't think they were nearly as bad in the v shaped department as some like to make Beyer. I didn't like the Philips because they were weirdly too comfortable. I constantly feared they were about to fall off my head.
Kinda weird to compare so many different cans.

Are DT1990s good for mixing?

Except in the case of Fostex headphones for example. If you don't replace the pads and do a bunch of mods that would upset their engineers you're doing it wrong.

Right. Well I'll take that into account.
Wanna say anything about imaging compared to DT990?

Fostex = look at all the work we put on the wood cup!!!!11
Sound engineering indeed.

That wasn't a very smart statement but you're still an alright person user.

Why do companies that make amps/dacs never attempt to release a headphone?

Just to add: monoprice doesn't count. I'm more wondering about topping, jdslabs, schiit, etc.

Sick trolling bro xD

Audeze is a meme but Stax is even worse. Read Even best Stax headphones have lost to mid-fi in listening tests.

Why should they?
Headphones are actually a more mature market than that of standalone dac/headphone amplifiers. Just look at how the DT880/HD600/K702 are still liked and how old they are.
The only market worth going for in headphones in terms of the combination of great volume yet also great profit margin is the bluetooth headphone business. Which is extremely hard to enter at the top end because people require good ANC.

Reminder that you are literally a cuckold if you're equalizing your headphones to Chad's head.

Attached: 1515092054383.png (861x758, 26K)

I strictly prefer linear bass response to the normal mid bass hump into a roll off.
The Harman target says I shouldn't.
Is it just the good extension on planars/stats that I like or is it because bass is the most subjective part?
I think a headphone tuned to Harman through the mids and treble with linear planar bass is ideal fr desu desu senpai desu

Attached: [email protected] (660x660, 100K)

It's because harman sounds like fucking garbage.

Harman is full of shit. Buy whatever headphone or set EQ to whatever you like, as an individual. Ignore harman spammers.

Pick one
>HE500
>DT1990
>LCD-X

lcdx

I genuinely enjoy treble, so if the pick one doesn't include EQ, 1990.

HE500

fug I can't pick

LCDX

pick the lcdx brainlet, it's the most expensive
you're the user doing a trade right

maybe

thing is I kind of want a 1990/HE500 for myself

but it's pointless with stax

Get lcdx, then sell lcdx if you don't like it and buy both DT 1990 and HE5

amazon.com/beyerdynamic-CUSTOM-Interactive-Gaming-Headset/dp/B06WVHCLTP/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546294674&sr=1-3&keywords=custom game

Bros..would this be kino if I got it with the DT770 pads...

thx

I'd never recommend a headset but if you insisted then I'd just say save up for the MMX and do the same

>Bros..would this be kino if I got it with the DT770 pads...
You'll lose bass with 770 pads. The drivers are designed with pleather type pads as baseline for carrying bass.

>Dad is an audiophile, I don't really give a fuck and just use earpods
>Gets me JDS EL Dac & Atom AND ER4XR IEMs for Christmas, plus a few DSD / SACD albums
>I was uncomfortable with him spending so much money on snake oil for me
>He insists I try, so why the hell not. I wasn't really expecting anything but I would put on a show to make it worthwhile for him.
>
>Holy fuck
>Holy shit this sounds amazing

I am a convert

Attached: 7d6.png (1024x1024, 1M)

It will be good, yes. The pads basically turn them into a DT770 with detachable cable and bass ports.
Do see if it's cheaper to get the one with mic or the one without + v-moda Boompro.

You should at least know if you're a treble head or not at this point. If you are, Audeze won't cut it. If you aren't get the LCD-X. It's not rocket science.

>The pads basically turn them into a DT770
No. If you want a DT770 like headset you need the Custom Studio, which have the actual DT770 drivers and come with velour pads. They have a detachable cable and they sell a cable with a mic built-in.

Noticed my headphones I've been using for 5 years or so have started to develop a slight rattle on certain frequencies on one side. Is this usually a general wear & tear thing that can't easily be fixed, or could it be caused by dust or something and might resolve itself after cleaning it? Not really up for doing repairs myself much more complicated than cleaning it so...

Hair on driver

Most likely hair on driver as the other user noted. Dismantle and clean up.

The Studio, the Gaming and the Plus variations are the same headphone with different pads and cables, that's it, the studio has velour pads and coiled cable, which are more common in studio.
You can check the Custom One Pro Plus measurements with both pads on DIY audio heaven. The DT770 pads add treble, decreases Mid-bass and add sub-bass, with the advantage that thr bass port still works if you want more mid-bass.

When is our resident beyer sissy CHAD going to gas AKG trannies?

So I'm a retard. If I'm going to use headphones for my desktop, do I need an amp and a DAC?
If I buy JDS Labs Atom Amp, do I need to buy something else too?

I have stax and dt1990, i like the beyer more for gaming
Should be getting a he500 soon to mod into oblivion until the headband breaks

it depends and also it depends

Depends on what? Maybe I'll just buy the OBJECTIVE2+ODAC

desu when I bought my jds atoms amp I didn't notice a difference besides more volume I can get.

>When is our resident beyer sissy CHAD going to gas AKG trannies?
Where are the AKG trannies? They don't seem to post much. Still, BEYER PREVAILS!

Attached: beyerchan.jpg (1754x1240, 347K)

Disgusting

Abuse me more babe

Don't reply to me ever again