Intel core i5 should be the bare minimum for computing. Why do we still have i3 and budget Intel cpus?

Intel core i5 should be the bare minimum for computing. Why do we still have i3 and budget Intel cpus?

Attached: 19d93481396c3e8beb7f3ee1f674f086-480-80.jpg (480x360, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GdnHpqlnc0Q&
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Imagine being so mindfucked by consumerist propaganda that you unironically think that you need anything more than an i3 for any reason other than trolling retards on /pcbg/

>cores don't matter

Mostly because of bloatware.

Enjoy painfully waiting for your computer to switch tabs in a web browser.

I'm sure a board of directors managing a multi billion dollar company have their reasons.

Incels were telling us that four cores, four threads was perfectly acceptable for not just desktop use, but high end gaming until very recently. Current i3s are four cores and four threads, therefore they're fine for any common desktop task. Right?

Yes. Keeping operating costs to a minimum so they can stuff their pockets with the remaining money

Not even the most demanding game uses more than 4 cores. If you buy more than 4 cores you're basically retarded.

six cores should be the bare minimum? i agree.

Attached: moar coarz.jpg (1268x717, 661K)

Attached: moar coarz.jpg (1268x717, 667K)

Attached: moar coarz.jpg (1268x717, 571K)

>holding back progress because muh gaymes
gamers must be gassed

I'm sorry, what do you do with your PC that's so advanced that it requires more computing power than a real time racing physics simulation?

This is just me but I get by just fine with a Phenom II x4 955 (95w). I don't play newer games. The games I do play are only single core bound. The only demanding thing that even uses all 4 cores is the occasional video encoding job.
Combined with 32GB ram and a SSD I have no problems at all. Computer runs smooth as babies ass.

>real time racing physics simulation
The absolute state of /v/

Epic cherrypicking of games with low CPU utilization my man!

Attached: 4c4t 4 life.png (2560x1440, 2.82M)

I use whatever comes with my ThinkPad

>fanless n3050 gets 15 hours of battery life with galliumos on former chromebook
This is peak comfy

Have you seen how well the Pentium G4600 (3.6GHz 2C/4T) performs?
I mean, I'm with you, true quad on the minimum would be great but you might be surprised by how that little fucker can hold up.

>posting benchmarks from AMD4BuckGamer

youtube.com/watch?v=GdnHpqlnc0Q&

Attached: moar coarz.jpg (1269x2049, 906K)

The laptop I'm currently (ab)using is
>Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5500U CPU @ 2.40GHz
which is actually a dual-core even though i7 makes it sound like it's a quad-core.

It's actually a totally fine CPU for my laptop use. I'm obviously not going to do gaming on a dual-core with a weak iGPU nor will I do video editing / rendering or anything else demanding for that matter. I've got a desktop for that. But.. if I never did those things and only used a mail client and web browser and spreadsheets and things like that then I'd be fine with a i3. I get why it's "good enough" for some people's use-cases.

Still, I don't think a i3 makes much sense. There's not that much of a price-difference between a Ryzen 3 and a Ryzen 5 if you're building a desktop computer. When you add case, PSU, motherboard, GPU and RAM it's really a low percentage to go a step up.

>therefore they're fine for any common desktop task. Right?
Depends on those tasks. For many it's fine.

>AMD4BuckGamer
never heard of that site before but I do know how to look at prices and if you learn how to do so too you'll quickly see that Intel's grossly overpriced, has been for months. It's not even worth considering buying Intel today. This will change late Q1/early Q2 2019.

>Intel's grossly overpriced

The i5 is cheaper than the 2600 so I don't know what you're talking about.

>tfw they all look exactly the same

If it's cheaper in your area then good for you.

Locally the i5-8600 is priced the same as the Ryzen 7 2700. The Ryzen 5 1600 is cheaper than the i3-8100. Intel's basically one tier below at every single price-point, R5's should be competing with i5's but they don't.

This. I use j4105 on my desktop and an n3450 on my notebook. No complains. For ml I have a cluster at work. I use binary distros for obvious reasons

An atom soc would be enough for 99% of the shit most people do.