BSD is better than GNU/Linux, change my mind

BSD is better than GNU/Linux, change my mind.
>protip: you cant

Attached: dead pengu.png (800x600, 194K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd-12-windows&num=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

tru

>change your mind
Good idea.

Just install Linux already.

By "better" do you mean "much slower"?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=freebsd-12-windows&num=1

right tool for the job, you dumb nerd

Windows doesn't have this problem.

Reminder that OpenBSD is lacking the following things:
>A robust filesystem such as ZFS, btrfs, or HAMMER2
>Any kind of journaling FS
>SSD TRIM
>NFSv4
>Support for more than one core on various parts of the OS. The firewall, pf, is confirmed to be one of these parts, although there may be more.
>802.11ac networking
>Nvidia graphics from this decade
>AMD Vega graphics
>Certain Intel graphics, at least judging from comparing the manpage to the wikipedia article
>Broadcom wireless
>Bluetooth
>WINE
>LUKS/dm-crypt
>Linux compatibility layer
>Mounting ext filesystems
>free(1)
>lsblk(8)
>Proper virtualization (vmd/vmm is awful compared to KVM+QEMU or even Virtualbox)
>and probably more

Attached: NOpenBSD.png (1000x1000, 168K)

By better I mean closer to UNIX than GNU/Linux. BSD are damn near pure UNIX. GNU/Linux is still just UNIX-based.
I'd prefer 100% UNIX to 90% UNIX.
(And there aren't so many normalfags, so its a nice community discuss shit with)

FreeBSD has most of that shit

>Unix is good
haha, lol

t. winbaby

>SSD TRIM
Opinion summarily discarded

Attached: IntoTheTrash.png (404x266, 182K)

I love OpenBSD.

Firstly, being close to Unix is not necessarily a good thing. Secondly, BSD includes no Unix code and was sued for using the Unix name. If you want actual Unix use HP-UX, macOS, or Solaris.

> GNU/Linux is still just UNIX-based.

Ok so you're retarded.

Attached: gyu.gif (324x450, 122K)

Unix doesn't necessarily have to do with using AT&T code or code based on it. There's a few GNU/Linux systems like EulerOS that are certified Unix, but being GNU-based, they aren't hereditarily Unix.

Which makes me wonder... what exactly did EulerOS and K-UX have to change from RedHat to be considered Unix? Is it merely just buying a certificate from the (((Open Group))) at this point, or did they have to make noticeable changes to the userland?

Attached: huawei-logo.jpg (1448x738, 92K)

GNU and BSD could both be Unix certified if they applied. So they wouldn't have to change anything from Red Hat. But what are you defining as Unix besides original Unix code?

The original Berkeley BSD was built off of the source code for AT&T UNIX and it is still closer to the UNIX than GNU/Linux

>The original Berkeley BSD was built off of the source code for AT&T UNIX
In the mid 80s, yes. But there hasn't been any Unix code in it since the mid 90s.
>and it is still closer to the UNIX than GNU/Linux
Define Unix.

Use. What. You. Want. Christ's sake, just use whatever operating system that panders to your needs and does what you want it do. I have a laptop with Windows XP installed on it just so I can play DIablo and Everquest. It's about making your life easier and more convenient, not about 'which is the most powerful OS', that doesn't exist.

Yeah but at this point nobody cares if you can't run proprietary unix binaries, GNU/Linux has completely depreciated any UNIX that might still be around, i.e. IBM, which is a zombie.

Something is UNIX based upon how closely it follows UNIX philosophies, and BSD follows it closer than GNU/Linux does

>how closely it follows UNIX philosophies
According to who? Can you define these philosophies?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy

According to Dennis Ritchie and the rest of the Open Group

Oh, I thought you might have more than just this. Oh well, at least I can rest easy knowing you have no idea what you're talking about.

UNIX is all about minimalism, simplicity, and convenience. GNU/Linux tends to stray from that, BSD doesn't. 'Nuff said.

>BSD follows it closer than GNU/Linux does
>Dennis Ritchie and the rest of the Open Group
Well according to the Open Group, There's two GNU/Linux distros that qualify, and both use systemd.

install dragonfly BSD , you dweebs.

>UNIX is all about minimalism, simplicity, and convenience.
Not really, no. Who told you that?

Dennis Ritchie whispered it into my ear while we were double dogging your mom. faggot

Oh, you're a mutt. That explains why you're so retarded.

Says the mutt

xD

>Something is UNIX based upon how much money they throw to the open group
Fixed for reality.

NIGGA WHY YOU GOTTA PICK ON ME ITS NEW YEARS
INSTALL GENTOOBSD
I LOVE YOU

Stupid wigger. Have some self respect.

I agree. My BSD setup is comfy.

Attached: 49F2796E-BD6E-4404-A0FF-9C0B779B46A9.png (2560x1440, 2.17M)

poopiehead ass nigga

You have no culture.

Says the ubuntard
I know your sick secret

No argument from me. I like it too.

gentoo and void exist.
Better than systemd distros? probably yeah.