How come Godot engine has more mature features and more polished ones than fucking Unity?

How come Godot engine has more mature features and more polished ones than fucking Unity?

Attached: Godot.png (1201x813, 1.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/288
github.com/cart/godot3-bunnymark#user-content-benchmark-run---february-22-2018
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Like what?

animator feature can do a lot of cool things unity version can't plus they have things like more primitives for the colliders, and the rigidbody have features for 2D characters, plus the node system in godot is better than unity prefabs, also better text system, proper 2D renderer, can embed 2D scenes inside 3D and vice versa, and has a visual shader editor.

daily reminder that this engine has no method of increasing angular velocity lmao shit---

all im saying is unity is way better for making games because it actually has a good scripting language that lets you control the physics engine better whereas in godot u would need to write one from scratch to get any control

Free software, superior method of software development.

>an engine needs to be as easy as possible for the lowest common denominator
Wrong

Go back to

gdscript shits on C# as scripting language for games.

Not really. PhysX is like 5-10x faster than Bullet even in basic as hard body simulation. Now that it's open source I actually expect development will slow down as Nvidia weans off it. I doubt we'll even see it ported to HIP unless AMD starts putting money forward, which they won't

I tried to use it for Android, It worked like shit, lots of micro stuttering.

Doesn't PhysX have a dedicated processing unit on nvidia cards, though? Would explain the speed difference.

Shill me an engine that can handle doubles for the physics engine and the GPU.

Attached: 1546056705923.gif (600x400, 892K)

No, it's just plain old GPGPU. But it's written and compiled for CUDA, which is still just a software runtime

Eh, it's not very good in my opinion.
I'll just continue working on my engine.

Fucking amazing. This is legendary.

I'm not sure how the features compare but imo Unity is just so bloated, same for Gamemaker. When it comes to 2D dev godot is lightweight and perfect.

What? You can just set these. Either during regular runtime (not recommended) or _integrate_forces where you can have direct access to physics server's data about a given body.

godot allows for some access to the underlying bullet structures, pull requests are welcome if you want to expose more of the API to gdscript, adding stuff like this is actually pretty easy to do

GPU physics aren't useful for the majority of games, but if you want physx now would be the time to get it added as a godot physics backend, you might even be able to wrangle a studio into paying for it

a contributor is currently working on this github.com/godotengine/godot/issues/288

>added as a godot physics backend
No point since gpu physx is still mostly CUDA. I think they might have open sourced some of the Flex direct compute stuff but I don't think that stuff was ever as general as physx.

>still mostly CUDA
step 1 - find company that bought a lot of nvidia cards and wants to use them for physics demos
step 2 - profit

GUYS THIS IS SO EPIC. LIKE TERRY DAVIS, YOU KNOW THE Jow Forums MEME, HE'S ON A COOL PICTURE DANCING XDDDDD.

GUYS THIS IS FUCKING EPIC

Its also slow as shit compared to C#

github.com/cart/godot3-bunnymark#user-content-benchmark-run---february-22-2018

Attached: 235252523525.jpg (590x393, 103K)

It is, and I will be reporting that picture.

Confirmed retard.

Go shill Godon't on reddit or something.

no shit, dynamic scripting languages aren't meant to be fast, if you need speed then you write C++

just write all your game logic in ASM, then, it's faster
in reality, you need to find a balance between productivity and performance, if it takes you much less time to write code which is half as fast as it could be, but is only run occasionally and doesn't really hurt anything, it simply wouldn't make sense not to use that

Path dependencies.
For a long time, Godot did have the luxury about not giving a shit about backward compatibility.
Also, a tad bit less ad hoc engine design.

Texture quality is quite inconsistent in this screenshot.

What do you expect from OOPsies.
These retarded niggers are trashing i$&d$ on every opportunity. It's even worse than Unity was before they hired a non-nigger to fix their shit,and that's saying a lot.

unity seems to be just the cash shop nowadays

to anyone starting a new game project, go with UE4 or something free. Epic are making so much fucking money with fortnite they'll destroy any other commercial engine in a year or two.

>they'll destroy any other commercial engine
Not unless they do a complete rewrite, which they won't.